Menu

preK/Kindergarten this year?

Aloha2U

I will be using MFW K w/ ds5 next year, along w/ ETC Primers and some math workbooks so he can learn his numbers really well. For my PreKer (3yo) I am trying LHTH. It's simple and since she already knows her letters and sounds, etc. it will be a fun program for her. I'm really undecided about it, though, b/c I already have a full plate teaching 5 dc and keeping after the 3yo and the new baby. I don't want to set myself up for burnout in October! I might just do some FIAR stuff with ds7, ds5 and dd3 to keep it simple and keep them all together. Ds7 will probably NOT be interested in doing much MFW ECC with the older kids. So...FIAR might work well. Not sure. And I don't have much time left to decide. :001_huh:

This is my second time having a child in K. This is what we have planned for this year:

Right Start Math level A

OPG and easy readers

Mom-made handwriting stuff

Five in a Row

Leading Little Ones to God

And Because she has an older brother:

SOTW- volume 2

Earth Science stuff: Exploring Creation with Astronomy and The Earth Science book by Dinah Zike

Song School Latin

These are subjects/curricula we plan to cover (not all on a daily basis) for my dd (4 yo pre-k) and ds (5 yo k). My dd will get 30 min of one-on-one time daily for individual RRR practice. She will be required to join us for Bible in the morning. After that, it is up to her interest and energy level. My ds can't wait to begin!

Bible:

Catherine Vos Story Bible

Big Bible Time line

Big Book of Questions and Answers

Math:

MUS-ALpha (for K)

Various Manipulatives

History:

Child's History of the World as RA

Language Arts:

Phonics Pathways, ETC 1,2,3

Italic Handwriting A & B

Startwrite

McGuffey Reader (Primer), Bob Books, easy readers

Literature:

Beatrix Potter

Aesop's Fables

Children's Treasury of Lit

Chronicles of Narnia series

various Christmas selections

Child's Garden of Verses

Song School Latin

Greek Alphabeterion

Nature:

readers, e.g. Jean Henri Fabre, James Herriot, Christian Liberty

observational nature study w/ notebook

Health:

safety info

Prudence With the Millers

manners books

Science:

a weekly science co-op for hands-on, topical activities

Fine Arts:

composer and artist studies @ ambleside online

Monart Art class

My 5yo ds will be doing K this year. I also have a dd going into 6th. He did Abeka K4 phonics last year, which did get him reading some. It was the only specifically pre-k reading program I could find. He did BJU K math last year. He is a total math kid. Everything is a quantity with him. Here's this year:

With big sister:

Mystery of History Vol 1

Roots and Fruits Vocabulary

Science unit studies along with her science curr.

His:

Positive Action Bible

BJU Math 1st grade

Horizons Phonics

A Reason for Handwriting

some social studies units like other K will be doing (comm helpers, etc.)

lots of reading

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

My oldest is 5yo.

We are using SWR for phonics/reading. We spent a long time just doing the prep activities, and are just now going slowly through the spelling list.

I am going to do Miquon Math in 1st grade, but for now we are just playing with math manipulatives and counting and learning how to write the numbers.

We are reading the Burgess Animal and Bird books, Seven Little Sisters...by Jane Andrews, the Bible, and TONS of other childrens' books. I try to read a variety of poems, classics, and books written to teach a concept. Ds loves animals so we go through the ZooBook magazines like crazy.

We play outside a ton, and when inside he has things like legos, kinex, mini-sandbox, play-doh, etc. He LOVES the Kumon workbooks. We do several pages each week, sometimes several a day if it's rainy (or too hot).

Third child to homeschool Kindergarten:

Reading: Finishing Bob Books and on to Readers (library books) - daily

Bible: My ABC Bible Verses or Leading Little Ones to God - daily

Math: Meeting and lessons only in Saxon 1 (no worksheets/factsheets) 3 to 4 times per week - with additional day for math game day! MAybe throw in some math library books that were a hit with the older kids.

Handwriting - Zaner Bloser kindergarten book

Spelling - SWO A

Science, History, and Latin he can tag along with the 3rd and 5th grader, but I won't require any work from him.

My 4 yr old is doing Sonlight P4/5. He stays in the room with us during the middle two dc's school time but can play quietly or whatever he wants, he usually opts to do seatwork like big brother and big sister. He has a bin to choose from and his current favs that he picks every day are Developing the Early Learner and Kumon books. He enjoyed the ETC primers and the R&S preschool series in the past.

I am also reading him, (well, all my youngest three), the Jesus Storybook Bible for the second run though. My kids love this storybook Bible so very much, and I do too.

Mostly he tags along with the other kids, for history, art, science experiments and read alouds, but I don't require him to stay if he doesn't want to. We do math just as it comes up through living, counting while we set the table, reading math picture books, and so on.

I have SL LA K and it's very gentle and fun and I might see how he likes that as soon as I can figure out how to fit it in to our day.

Next year for K I'm thinking of FIAR.

Guest Piercy

First time homeschooler - Kindergarten

I want to follow WTM pretty closely but I plan on starting SOTW book 1 this year because my ds is a history buff. We are going to continue OPGTTR and read tons of library books (me reading to him and I hope soon to have him read to me from Bob Books or Easy Readers). We also listen to audiobooks whenever we are in the car (everything from "50 Famous Fairy Tales" to "Tom Sawyer").

I've had Math U See recommended pretty strongly and of course Saxon is mentioned by Classical homeschoolers A LOT but I haven't decided on a math program. I am going to do lots of science projects this year but am not planning on a formal science program.

And I am strongly tempted by Classical Conversations for memory work...

And Children's Music Academy for music training...

What am I forgetting? :)

The Piercys

5 yr old son - historian of the Texas revolution

2 yr old son - thespian-in-training

I am excited for our first Kindergarten year. I'm also intimidated. These days most of my time is spent picking up food from the kitchen floor dropped by our youngest, so I'm not sure how we'll adjust to our modest schedule.

Sing a hymn

Big Truths for Little Kids

Memory work - poetry and bible verses

Right Start Math A

First Language Lessons 1

Handwriting without Tears K

Geography - Children Just Like Me, Evan-More workbooks

Science - Usborne Science Activities book, perhaps we'll dip into nature studies (I want to learn more about that)

Spanish - read books

Music - violin

I'm mostly using Five in a Row. We've been using it since about February and it's been great for us.

I think I did too much with him in the spring and turned him off a bit...so I'm trying to listen to the wise ladies here and relax more. :) For reading, I think I'm mostly going to just read with him and play games. I have OPGTR and like it. Mostly I use it to remind me of the sounds to teach...and also to make up games to play.

I have Singapore Math, which ds likes so we'll probably do that.

I also have Handwriting Without Tears.

Here's what we used for Kindergarten last year:

Phonics / English - Get Ready / Get Set / Go for the Code w/ Sing Spell Read & Write (the first book; goes over each letter of the alphabet and the sounds they make) / Handwriting Without Tears Letters and Numbers for Me

Math - Abeka K5 Math

History / Science - Sonlight Core K

PE - Gymnastics Lessons

Here's my plan for K (on those days that dd wants to do school!) -

OPG and ETC

RS A

copywork for handwriting

Easy French Jr.

geography/cultural study

Sonlight science

Plus, Bible reading, some memory work, lots of read-alouds and arts/crafts projects.

I might add in FLL at some point, depending on how her reading/writing skills progress.

I'll have a dd in K and a ds in PreK this year.

For dd K:

Saxon Math 1

Hooked on Phonics

Draw Write Now

The first half of Oak Meadow 1

Nature Study / walking

Lots of read alouds

Karate

For ds PreK:

Nature Study / walking

Sitting in on any read alouds

Karate when he turns 4

My dd4 and ds3 will be doing Sonlight Core 4/5 along with math games and writing practice only for my dd4. DD4 is almost 5 and is in the midst of OPG also, she knows her alphabet and is moving onto 3 letter words. They will also be joining DD7 in SOTW 2 and science, as long as they are interested.

Would you believe I just realized that my DD is officially pre-K? :001_huh:

My goal is to keep myself in check and not go overboard. Yet. :D

So let's see, I have OPGTTR. DD knows all her letters and the sounds they represent. She's doing a lot of prereading things, and I suspect she's actually starting some reading, but we haven't officially begun anything from OPG. We will start in September.

We're going to do Singapore Earlybird to supplement some of the math games we already do. We also bake together and she helps with some dinners.

We have several Kumon workbooks, so we'll continue working through them as she has the desire, especially working on letter formation and handwriting. I have to be careful here, because she's already a bit of a perfectionist, and she gets discouraged if letters don't look "right" to her immediately. So we do mazes and other things to practice the skills, and I let her lead to keep it fun.

I'm going to use either FIAR or BFIAR with her younger sister, and I know she'll listen in and play along. We'll continue with lots and lots of library books and reading.

Science-wise, we'll probably continue with animals and bugs and plants. This summer has been all about worms, butterflies, pillbugs, and bees. :D We'll spend as much time outside as I can stand, and we'll probably read more books on weather and whatever plants or animals we come across.

For geography, we're looking a lot at maps and globes, and then we check out a bunch of books related to whatever area she wants. Most recently that was Australia. I have a copy of Travel the Globe: Multicultural Story Times that gives me a jumping point.

Really, I think this makes it sound much more structured than it is. I try to keep in mind the subject areas she'll eventually study and expose her to as much as possible in a fun way. Other than that, we'll do library story times, fun classes (as yet unchosen) through the county like dance or music, we'll get messy with paint and glue, and practice being nice to our sisters (ahem).

I am doing K for our dd 4 (she's a young K'er) and pre-k for our soon to be 3yo ds. It's our 2nd time doing K and third time doing pre-k.

Kindergarten

SSRW

ETC

Saxon Math 1

Bob Books

Read Alouds for the year are: Wind in the Willows, Pinocchio, Favorite Uncle Remus, Perrault's Fairy Tales, Household Stories, and Andrew Lang's fairy tale books.

Faith and Life Religion with big brother

Literature Pockets for fun

Science and geography at co-op weekly

I also let her join in on science and history with big brother is she wants.

Pre-K

BFIAR

crafts

playing

Liz in NC

We're doing the following:

Phonics: Hooked on Phonics K and Tanglewood School's phonics program, plus Bob books and other phonics readers from the library and lots of read alouds and board games.

Handwriting: copywork

Math: Mathstart readers from the library, games, pattern blocks, etc.

Lit: Winnie-the-Pooh, Beatrix Potter, and Lewis Caroll, plus poetry memory work

Classical Studies: Aesop's fables

Heathen Studies: Havamal, virtue study, fairy tales

Physical Education and nature study: outside time daily, to work on bike riding, get over bug phobia, and get fresh air and exercise.

Spanish: Muzzy and lots of bilingual and Spanish read alouds and videos.

We also have a workbook called "everything for K" for when DD is in a workbook mood, and she'll get music and art as part of the weekly enrichnmentprogram she'll be attending.

Hi there. My ds is going to be 5 in September and we're going to start school the day after his birthday. Right now I'm doing warm-ups, but not quite as extensive as we're going to be doing once September comes around.

Reading & Phonics

Tanglewood's Really Reading Program

Spectrum Phonics Gr 2

Tanglewood's recommended set of basal readers

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Mathematics

MCP Math Level K and A

Miquon Orange Book

Penmanship

Italic Handwriting Book A (Getty-Dubay)

Poetry

Poems for the Very Young

Geography

Maps and Mapping

My World and Globe

Literature

Peak with Books

Selections from Honey for a Child's Heart

The Children's Treasury of Fairy Tales

Natural Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Music

Piano lesson once a week (also done by Mom)

Art

Done by Daddy; not sure yet but I really like Artistic Pursuits for next year!

Spanish

A conversation with Mama once a week and Kidspeak CD-ROM

Bible

Once a week reading

Phew!

I guess I should also count that we're teaching him swimming and he'll be in soccer and perhaps also in karate.

Okay, I shouldn't have peaked, but I did. Wow, those were some really long lists in there.

This is my 3rd time for this age, and I have a 5 yr old. She does not know all of her letter sounds, numbers, etc. She turned 5 in June by the way. I'm going to workthrough this stack of workbooks I have, skipping all of the writing intensive pages. She'll mostly do tracing and circling (pick the biggest item, find the triangle, etc). Plus she's doing some Reader Rabbit software that's pretty old but still fun, plus Study Dog online...although we've hit a stumbling block recently.

Then when we've thinned out some things I'll start Math U see Primer and Saxon phonics K (skipping some of the weird stuff from there). She also will tag along with science and history, mostly doing coloring and answering oral questions.

With all 3 of my kids I've noticed that those darn workbooks writing ability is way way ahead of my kids so I either skip that stuff and/or do alot of it orally. I would not be putting my child in public school kindergarten at this age. I'll unofficially start K whenever we slowly get to some of those books...programs vary so much in ability that it's pretty frustrating to me there is no standard...kinda like clothing sizes.

Good luck and have fun.

Alison in KY

We kept it really simple last year for K.

Mainly we did:

FIAR, Vol. 1 and part of Vol. 2

100 EZ lessons (reading)

We also added a bit of these:

• looked at calendar and noted weather briefly each day, practiced writing numbers by writing dates of calendar in as we went
  • some memory work (ABC Scriptures--I have list if you want it)
  • Learned some English sayings that I coordinated with FIAR lessons (can give you this too)
  • Hymns to go along with FIAR (also available)
  • Lots of read-alouds
  • random phonics and math workbooks from Walgreens!
  • listened to various CDs in the morning while getting breakfast ready

I probably would have spent a bit more time on practicing good form with letters, if I could do it over. I just let him write the things he was interested in, but we did no formal handwriting--I have a boy!!

PM me if you want any of the above that I mentioned.

Definitely keep it simple and fun. Go places and do things.

We are gradually working our way into Kindergarten by starting off with reading and math over the summer. I am doing a three weeks on/ one week off schedule. (At least we are giving that a try). This is a pretty low budget curriculum by they way.

Bible: Big Truths for Little Kids, and reading a story a week from various children's Bibles we have collected. I read the same story every day from different bibles. We also memorize a verse each week. I get this from http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/index.html

Reading: OPGR and lots of easy readers and read alouds. I am using what we have on our shelves and what I can find at the library.

Math: Rod and Staff

Gradually I will add these other items:

Poetry: List from What your K Needs to Know. I have typed a poem for each week and will have ds make an illustration

Copywork: I am making up my own, using D'Nealian Font.

Geography: A Trip Around the World and Window on the World

Science: Everybody Has a Body and begin nature study

Art: We are simply doing a sketch a week from Harmony Art Mom's blog

Music: Just listening to a classical composer each week and possibly read a little bio online

I also have a three year old and I am doing something very very simple with him. He just wants to be involved so badly. He joins ds5 for Bible. Science and Geography will be optional for him, depending on his mood...he can join or play.

Math: Count things

Reading: sing the alphabet, trace the posted letter of the week with his finger, listen to stories and sometimes when he wants he can "read" to me. He likes to talk a lot so I have him tell me about the pictures.

Art: color, cut, paint, get messy

And lots of play time :001_smile:

K--we focus on the 3 R's

Shiller math

OPGTR as a guide but mostly beginning readers working toward Frog and Toad type books. Goal of 30 minutes of reading per day.

Handwriting and copywork

ps

letters and sounds

read alouds

may use shiller math with him just because it'd be easier than not doing it

Hopefully, lots of exercise. It depends on my injury.

since I am teaching it for the 4th time this year. My son will be doing:

Leading Little Ones to God

Phonics Pathways

ETC Go for the Code & ETC 1

Singapore Earlybird Math (I will add in Miquon at some point)

simple copywork

All in all, about 30-60 minutes per day.

He will probably want to sit in on SOTW 2 & do the coloring pages and maps. He loves that kind of thing. My goal for K is simply to get him reading. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Well said, Nancy :iagree: Even though my list looks complicated, I want to focus on the 3Rs. Ds already writes decent letters and numbers, but I want him to learn how to read too. Give him a good foundation in Math as well.

All the other stuff is secondary.

We too, are keeping it simple. I have 5yr ds and 3 yr dd. With ds I'll do OPGTTR (beginning blends and three letter words)and Big Book of Numbers workbook, (2nd half--did first half last year) I have some Bob Books and basal readers to get to later. I'm putting together a mommy-made world cultures/continents study. We'll learn about 1 continent per month, doing a very basic culture study of the people who live there. (Read about area in children's atlas, make a food from the area, read some folktales etc.)

DD will have a modified crafts-based version of the world cultures study and listen to the read alouds with us. I'll probably add some very basic workbooks from the grocery store--cut and paste, shapes, counting. Nothing too academic yet.

Does it seem like the longer lists are from people whose oldest kids are 4 and 5?

Do you think that is because those with older kids don't have enough time?

Or because they think there are more important things to do with 4 and 5 yo then "school work"?

We're not there yet, but this is the plan for now:

Geography, as a prep to starting history the next year. I'm thinking "Visualise World Geography." I'll do a bit of Australian geography too, backed up with some good jigsaw puzzles, if they are so inclined.

I'll also be raiding the library for books about pre-history. Not to study, just to introduce the idea and look at the cool pictures in the books.

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, when she's ready; and the "Words are Categorical" series if I can get my hands on them.

For Maths, I think we'll just fiddle around with manipulatives, count stuff, sort stuff and read some maths type stories to introduce the vocab.

Possibly Building Foundations of Science, Artistic Pursuits and K12 Music. We'll see how enthusiastic everyone is.

A bit of gardening, handicrafts, and general noise and mess making, of course.

:)

Rosie

P.S To Mallory: I'll only have two kids, and I'm quite sure the list would get shorter if I had 6 :) Also, if you have a large family, you have lots of school going in by osmosis which doesn't make it onto people's written lists. Or maybe we just have more time to write wordy replies :)

Does it seem like the longer lists are from people whose oldest kids are 4 and 5?

Or because they think there are more important things to do with 4 and 5 yo then "school work"?

how about "all of the above." :001_smile:

Speaking only for myself...

My primary focus is definitely on RRR; the other curriculum areas are for interest and fun, and I will not be stressed *at all* if we don't get through everything.

My particular children are academically inclined (much like their father) and find learning to be intrinsically fun. They also enjoy playing and other activities some might deem "more important."

We make decisions for our homeschool based on the individual needs and interests of our children and our long-term plan for our dc; we respect that other families with all numbers of childen do the same. Isn't that one of the main goals and advantages of homeschooling?

I love this board. I have received much insight and encouragement, and I seek to provide the same. It is helpful for me to see how others make decisions and how they choose and use various curricula. However, I do think it's important not to judge others by the length of their lists.

As someone with a long list :D, I have to say that I wasn't offended at all. My eldest IS turning five, and I've been contemplating homeschooling since he was two. So yes, there's definitely some eagerness here, but not too much :) We want to enjoy his childhood, be relaxed, have him play a lot, go on a bunch of outings and read a lot of books. I got that advice from a friend of mine who homeschools her four children, ages 16 to 5.

Hi! I am new here and new to homeschooling. This year, I am homeschooling my almost 5 year old for Kindergarten and my almost 9 year old in 4th grade.

We are using the complete Calvert K curriculum, supplemented with Explode the Code book 2 (he is reading small words...but it hasn't quite all "clicked" yet, so we felt Calvert K was the right choice...if he goes through it fast, we just move on. No big deal) and Horizons Math. Calvert K math is a bit behind him, Horizons is a bit ahead, so we find a balance in the middle with both of them. :)

Here is what we are doing this year.

First, last year we did Before Five in a Row with great success and a number of lap books that my DS cherishes.

This year:

Art: Artistic Pursuits The Way They See It - I just got this book and it has a ton of information about the psychology behind your child's "art". I also got the Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas along with several painting books from the library. Lastly, I have been using the Evan Moor Teaching Children Art for a few good ideas. All three of these methods are different which is why my son loves his art time so much.

Art Appreciation for DD and DS if interested: Child Size Masterpieces

Music: My DS is sick of Kindermusik, so he will be learning to play the piano with my instruction using Music for Little Mozart's while his sister is taking a music class on her own by our beloved Kindermusik teacher.

Music Appreciation: It is amazing as to how much they pick up from Disney's Little Einstein's. My DH and I are musicians, so our kids just accept music as the norm around here. I hate that they are almost numb to it sometimes, but I don't think music all of the time is going to hurt them.

LA: A Reason for Handwriting K, Scripture tracer pages that coincide with our bible lessons, McRuffy SE K (love this), Learn Everyday Preschool and Advanced Preschool

Other Activity Books: Kumon Jigsaw Puzzles Cut/Paste, Mazes, Cutting, Folding

Math: MUS Primer 2nd half, Singapore Early Bird 2A 2B

Science: My DS has developed an interest in the Magic School Bus and I get him additional books from the library based on his interest. We will be getting some of the Magic School Bus science kits for Christmas and Birthday for him.

We also use the World God Made for a biblical perspective on science this year.

Social Studies and other stuff: BOZ The Green Bear Next Door - This is a biblically based character program that covers everything from creation, friends, families, imagination, community, animals, shapes, colors, seasons, and more. It has a DVD and book component along with a free on line curriculum from their website. Don't forget about those cute stuffed bears that my DC guilted me into buying.

Bible: My son needed a more intense bible study that BOZ, so we are using several Quarters from Discipleland.com The name sounds cheesy, but it is REALLY good. The lessons are planned out so well that my husband can do these with both kids in the morning. There is also a craft component that we enjoy.

Lastly, LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOKS from the library. My son is now independent in the library. He knows how to find books that he is interested in, ask the librarian questions, and find a quiet spot within my eye/ear shot while I do puzzles with his sister. Sorry for the brag, but I feel that these skills are just as important as learning their 3R's. Both kids understand the expectations of their library behavior, which is not to say that they still don't push the limits.

We also are involved in a home school sports class offered by our fitness center until both my kiddos are old enough for our church co-op. We also have a zoo membership with a wonderful hands on children's area, and make a point to take advantage of the other community educational opportunities.

I think that is it..........oh ya, we are still doing a few unit studies and lap books to break things up a bit. I think our topics are Down on the Farm, Five Little Pumpkins, airplanes, winter sports, a few Caldecott Winners, a few animal units, and a few holiday units. I will be adding the Evan Moor Nursery Rhyme Literature Pockets for my DD and I am sure her brother will enjoy them to.

Whew, that seems like a lot, but we sure do have a ton of fun!

Erica

I'm sure that some people over do it the first year but I also think it depends on the kid too. I am wanting to keep it as simple as possible and my k'er keeps asking for more... more... more.

My pk'er has no interest in even writing her name and so I'm doing no "school work" at all with her.

Both kids will have plenty of places to go and plenty of free time to play and use their imaginations!