Menu

hospital bedrest....need timekillers...

I'm 32 weeks along in a really rough pregnancy. After months of modified bedrest at home, I'm in hospital for the long haul....2-5 weeks if we can keep her in that long.

I'd like to use this time wisely, but after months of sitting on my bum I'm sick of crafting and watching Netflix. I'm not into tv and I'd like to use this time productively..... I do have my kindle and laptop with me, but I'm only able to read for short bits of time.

Ideas??? TIA!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I spent 100 days in the hospital before ds12 was born. I would use the time to curriculum plan way in advance. Pick really fabulous read alouds and activities to round things out. Search lots of old threads etc. I hope you manage to keep the baby in a few more weeks.

Could you listen to lectures? There are places like MIT OCW, Academic Earth, Khan Academy that offer courses or individual lectures. The ones on Khan Academy are usually pretty short, less than 10 minutes.

Is there a software you've been wanting to learn?

You could spend hours on Pinterest.

Delete old e-mail, organize your digital files.

I was on bed rest for 14 weeks. I found a really obsessive schedule helped lots. I'd always wake at the same time and get ready for the day. I did have two tv shows I wouldn't miss. I scheduled my naps. I had a lot of "mess with the nurses' minds" time. (lady next door to me was also waiting on her babies, and we'd try to sneak out in wheelchairs. I know, bed rest, but you gotta do something!!!) Once or twice my son who was six got to spend the night in the hospital with me!

You should learn something online. Spanish? You've got it easier than me. This was 18 years ago.....no laptop.

When I was on bed rest I obsessively researched things like vaccines. I could quote infection rates with complications for this or that shot. Scared the heck out of my ex and some friends. Then again I was a first-time mom.

You said you're craft-ed out, but what about learning a new one? Knitting, crochet, or the like? I like the idea of menu and home school planning. What about house cleaning planning? I tend to take a big calendar at the start of a year and write in what floor I need to be working on each week. How about a book that has an activity a day, like a devotional or "The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder"?. Organizing recipes, making photo albums, meditation are all good things too.

I'm sending you "keep on cooking in there, wee one" vibes!

Audio books?

Rosetta Stone language?

If you are a Christian, you could pray for others during part of your day.:001_smile:

Again, with the above, Beth Moore Bible studies have a video component--you could do a lesson every day and watch the online videos.

Anyone you could Skype with?

Can you do NaNoWrMo?

Coursera has lots of free lectures, as someone else mentioned. Maybe do a little of that?

Who visits you?

It must be hard. :grouphug::grouphug:

I spent most of my last pregnancy in the hospital on strict bed rest (Hyperemesis).

What really kept me going was...planning!:tongue_smilie:

I planned EVERYTHING for the after-pregnancy time. Homeschooling, menus, structure of our days, field-trips, grocery-shopping,... lists, lists, and more lists...

It gave me the impression of doing something useful and not "loosing control" completely, at a time when I was stripped of almost everything.

And, really, my planning was successful! Even today (three years later) I regularly use things I worked on during those long months...

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for the ideas! I've already done some pretty obsessive planning (meals, schedules, homeschooling, gardening, etc.), but this thread gave me some more ideas of things to do.

I do find that having a daily schedule helps...I just need to keep enough stuff in the rotation that I don't go crazy. Being left mostly to myself for 18 hours a day after being in the center of a busy homeschooling family is a hard change!

I made folder games for a kindergarten teacher friend of mine :). Plus slept, read a lot of books, watched a lot of TV, and kept a journal. My DD will eventually have a much more full accounting of my pregnancy with her than she'll have of any other time in her life.

FWIW, while I know each day seemed long at the time, it now all seems like a blur, and I remember, when DD was a few weeks old, wishing I could have just ONE more day of bedrest!