Menu

Ever been flown for an interview

and not gotten the job? It's a debate here right now.

The only time DH has been flown out for an interview, he got the job.

This is an interview for a transfer with a company he's worked for for 13 years. It's a position that requires at least ten years experience and he's very familiar with what they are requiring. He has already gone over his current salary, his past performance reviews, etc.

There was a preliminary "non" interview with the original hiring manager last week and after that he wanted to schedule a "real" interview. DH offered to do it via teleconference. HM said he'd rather do it in real life. DH explained their office would have to foot the bill as he would not request his office to do so as he didn't feel that was nice. Hiring manager said he could dig up the expenses. ;)

They scheduled DH for an initial interview with four, a plant tour (he worked at that site for 10 years, lol) and then another interview with two more in the afternoon.

Obviously it's encouraging.

I'm just wondering - have many here been flown out, car, hotel, etc., at the company's expense, only to NOT get that position? That would be unusual, no?

all. the.time.

we have found that companies often need to interview someone from outside the company. usually, when they already know they want to hire from within the company.

My husband is very qualified and he constantly gets the, "we hired from within" speech.

we found that it is cheaper for companies to fly my husband in for interview, but when they figure relocation packages, it is cheaper to hire/train from within the company.

Robin

My dad did when I was a kid. He was flown out to Montreal for an interview back then and did not get the job. Good thing, because I never wanted to move to Quebec, even as a little kid. And he got into a manufacturing position out here back then, went back to school for his millright at night while working there, switched companies within the same field and is now vice president of operations. It took 25 years but he made it pretty good I think. So it is not always a bad thing to have the no.

That said it looks like your dh has a leg up already because it is a transfer interview. Rather than flying someone in from outside the company to interview which is what my dad was. That means he is more likely to get it than someone else.

It hasn't happened to me personally, but I've seen it happen to many candidates in the past. I've seen one (large) company I worked with fly in about 10 people per 1 position on a fairly regular basis.

It has happened to my husband, but in that case, I think the budget for the position was cut all together.

In our field, it happens regularly. It is required that the top 3 or 5 candidates on the short list are interviewed in person, all expenses paid - but only one gets the job.

An invitation to the interview means that the candidate made the short list, nothing more.

Hmmm... I know it's not required within our company, probably because this is internal so they have all of his performance reviews, work history, etc., and his work references are already present within the same plant.

I hate the waiting. The waiting is difficult. Sigh. We're hoping though. The hours are dreadful (for the average person, we actually like them) and the hiring manager has been up front in that they are not flexible which has scared away a few candidates according to him.

This is the second time this month they listed the position internally in hopes of getting more candidates to compare to one another. They usually list internally first and only look outside the company if they aren't suitably able to transfer or promote from within. (I'm so glad!)

We had another position he was a candidate for and missed out on. However, he was already high for the payscale of that. Transferring from a high COL state to a lower cost of living state makes a lateral move very difficult - thankful this won't be an issue for this position.

In our field, it happens regularly. It is required that the top 3 or 5 candidates on the short list are interviewed in person, all expenses paid - but only one gets the job.

An invitation to the interview means that the candidate made the short list, nothing more.

:iagree: This is true in my husband's field. His first three job interviews were ones where he was flown in for 3 days, wined and dined, and then didn't get a job offer.

My DH flew out in July for a job interview, which he did not get. He then flew out in September for another job interview, which he did get. This was for a big company that he has worked at for 4 years. Both times the company flew out almost 100 people for a few positions (in a few different cities), so a lot of people were flown out that did not get the jobs.

yep.

DH was headhunted, brought in, put up for 2 days in NYC, met with everyone, left with a very positive impression and then never heard back. Not even a ding letter!

All that for a job he never even applied for. They called him for the interview, lol.

The good thing is that his current employer gave him a nice raise when they heard that the competition was sniffing around.

My brother has, in the last 5 weeks, flown out for 4 interviews, one of which was in Germany and he didn't get any of them. He's currently on his way home from another one. He just graduated last year with a PhD in chemistry and has been working for the past year on a post-doc. He's written a lot in the chem community, he's gone to conferences both in the states and internationally, and yet he's still having a hard time getting a position. It's just plain tough out there right now.

Not flown out, but dh has had VIPs fly in to see him (and usually a couple other canidates as well). Sometimes he has been offered the job and sometimes not. We live in a nice, largish city, so it isn't hard to find several canidates in our area to interview at one time.

50-50 here. I was flown in and got it. Dh was flown in and didn't get the job. However, 18 months later, he applied to the same company and got it. I worked in HR in my former life and both the companies I worked for only flew people in if they were very serious about the candidate.

Good luck!