Menu

S/O IKEA - Dressers?

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution to our dds' piece of carp chest of drawers. We got it from Target and within 6 months had pretty much fallen apart. I've done some minor glueing and other things to try to fix it, but I think it's time to give up on it.

We will be near an IKEA at Christmas and can pick up a dresser or something there to bring home with us...so just wondering if you have had any luck or other suggestions on clothing storage? I need something that will make the clothes disappear - bins/open storage just doesn't work for us.

TIA

We have the STUVA stuff in DD's bedroom and it is great. You can arrange it in all sorts of configurations so that it works best for the space you have. We have the bench with a huge drawer under it for all her dress up stuff, the medium frame and the smaller frame (the deeper one). That plus her closer holds all her clothes and the girl has a ton of clothes. We're going to redo the boys room in STUVA as well, probably come fall.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/18835/

I looked up IKEA. There is not one remotely near us.

Shipping is very high!

Besides that, the dressers don't look any sturdier than ones I have found for $25-$35 at thrift stores.

Particle board is not sturdy or repairable

My kiddo's did fine with cheap furniture while small.

Now, I need some very sturdy furniture. God help us!:lol:

DH found some baby furniture ( $200) in a local classified ad. I cringed at the price until I looked online and saw how much it was new at ToysRUS

I am very pleased with this furniture, it is beautiful and functional.

The only other dresser/ chest type furniture that has lasted over 15 years is our bedroom set and ds15's ( hand made by a friend as a gift).

It is hard to find real wood furniture, and my monkeys are tough on it!

We also have trouble with curtains and blinds...

Utopian furniture is what I need.;)

My kids all have Malm dressers and have for years. They've held up fine for us.

:iagree:

We have the 6 drawer chest version of these. I needed cheap dressers for my boys and I couldn't find anything local. We drove over 3 hours each way and picked up a pair of them. I love that they sit flush to each other and don't have a lip creating a gap between them. Also they are big deep drawers and hold a lot of stuff. My boys actually use 1-2 drawers for toys because they don't need that much space for clothes.

I wish we could get these for my daughters as well but there room layout is different and we just can't fit them in there.

We have a bunch of IKEA dressers and they are all falling apart. The drawers pop out of the tracks constantly, the bottom panels have broken out of a few of them, the fronts come off. We used wood glue putting them together and they still fall apart.

I LOVE Ikea for Billy's and some other stuff but won't do the dressers again.

I ended up making my own closet system for my dd's clothes out of the Trofast system. Look it up! It was easy to customize the sizes of "drawers" based on what items she has each season. Now that she's bigger I need a second set, but it's cheap enough it won't break the bank.

I liked it so much, I did it in my bedroom closet too! No more dressers!!!! In my closet, I also have a bookshelf where I put my sweaters and shoes.

We bought a used IKEA dresser on CL. It is the 6-drawer MALM. We got it about a year and a half ago. We got it for $20, but we are going to buy another one from the store. we love it and it's sturdy. We've had NO problems, and we moved it twice so far.

If you are worried about cost vs. real wood, look on CL. It's at least worth a shot. I'm kind of IKEA-obsessed, but that seems to be a trend around here. :D

We have three Hemnes dressers going strong on nearly 10 years. My mother liked mine so much she got one for her guest room that is several years old and going strong.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00067830/

My daughters have this one in their room and we've had it for 4 years. It still looks and functions like new. Little brother even likes to pull open the bottom drawers and stand in them, but they are holding up strong.

Love it!

I think most of the ikea dressers are junk. I had a billy one in college that fell apart almost from the day I bought it. And my dad has two Malms that are destroyed. That said, my husband and I have several from the Hemmes line and they have held up splendidly for 5+ years. One minor repair made to one drawer and that was caused by my son, not bad quality. We have nothing but good things to say about the nightstands from the same line.

My experience with Ikea dressers (3 different designs) was just like yours with the Target one -- okay, maybe it took up to 2 years for them to disintegrate... Personally, it's one of the things I would NOT buy from Ikea again.

Ditto. Not high quality at all. The bottom of the drawers is basically cardboard and cannot hold much weight at all. Drawers are constantly coming off the track and DH has jimmy rigged it too many times. Not doing that again.

ETA: Ours is a Hemnes. The nightstands and bed have held up fine, but the dresser is a joke.

Edited by Sara in AZ

We have two IKEA dressers for our older children--the Hemnes 3-drawer chest and the Leksvik 6 drawer chest. The Leksvik is somewhat sturdy but overall I feel that they are both poor quality pieces. We have had trouble with the drawers staying on track on both of them. We also had a Malm dresser that someone had given us but we ended up throwing it out because we had so many problems with it. They fit our budget and needs at the time we purchased them, but if I could do it all over again I would have tried to find solid wood pieces from a budget-friendly source like Craigslist or the "bare wood" stores where you can buy a plain wood chest and finish it yourself.

If you can find a good real-wood one on CL, it's a better value. That said, we have 2 malms and one hemnes that are serving us well enough. The hemnes is a little wonky after our out-of-state move last summer, like, doens't look perfectly square anymore, but still functions fine. If you have little kids who will climb in the drawers, the bottoms will break out. But other than that, no complaints.

My favorite "dresser" from Ikea is actually a 2x4 Expedit turned long ways with Target Itso fabric bins. They fit perfectly and offer LOTS of storage space. I have that in my master. Didn't buy it for the master, but didn't need it in the room I bought it for after the move, so it replaced a falling-apart Target dresser in my room and works great! Sturdiest "dresser" in the house.

We have a bunch of IKEA dressers and they are all falling apart. The drawers pop out of the tracks constantly, the bottom panels have broken out of a few of them, the fronts come off. We used wood glue putting them together and they still fall apart.

I LOVE Ikea for Billy's and some other stuff but won't do the dressers again.

:iagree: We have the same thing happening with two of them. They're beautiful to look at but they just won't hold together.

... or the "bare wood" stores where you can buy a plain wood chest and finish it yourself.

Our ds's have one of these and it is fantastic - solid wood, drawers still work/move flawlessly after 7+ years. I may need to find a local store and see what they have.

Some really good ideas here - Thanks Everyone!