Menu

Feeling just terrible... Need to lose weight

Hello,

I really need some good advice on the best & safest way to lose weight fairly quick & keep it off. Please.

You see, my husband was laid off from his job back in July of this year. Since then we have had no health insurance. We finally decided we best be safe and get some since he still is out of a job.

Well, hubby filled out the application last week & everything was suppose to begin today as long as we were all approved. We received information today that everyone but myself was approved. It stated that I was declined due to "medical conditions".

My husband called because he figured there must have been some kind of mistake, but they would not even talk to him about it. They had to speak with me.

So I call & tell them the situation only to be told that I was declined coverage due to my height/ weight ratio. :( I am devastated, embarrassed & feel that I have hit a very low point. I am now the cause for my family not getting health insurance. :( :( :(

I know I have weight to lose, but I never thought this would happen because of me being overweight. We are going to go with another company, but I am just having a hard time with this right now.

So, any suggestions for getting about 25 lbs off fairly quick so that this NEVER happens again? Thanks, and please be kind. I already feel bad enough.

Hello,

I really need some good advice on the best & safest way to lose weight fairly quick & keep it off. Please.

You see, my husband was laid off from his job back in July of this year. Since then we have had no health insurance. We finally decided we best be safe and get some since he still is out of a job.

Well, hubby filled out the application last week & everything was suppose to begin today as long as we were all approved. We received information today that everyone but myself was approved. It stated that I was declined due to "medical conditions".

My husband called because he figured there must have been some kind of mistake, but they would not even talk to him about it. They had to speak with me.

So I call & tell them the situation only to be told that I was declined coverage due to my height/ weight ratio. :( I am devastated, embarrassed & feel that I have hit a very low point. I am now the cause for my family not getting health insurance. :( :( :(

I know I have weight to lose, but I never thought this would happen because of me being overweight. We are going to go with another company, but I am just having a hard time with this right now.

So, any suggestions for getting about 25 lbs off fairly quick so that this NEVER happens again? Thanks, and please be kind. I already feel bad enough.

You were declined simply because you need to lose 25 pounds? That's IT? No medical conditions?

Wow. That would be like half of America. I'm really surprised. I thought you were denied for things like previous cancer or other serious conditions.

That's awful. I'm sorry.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry. That must be upsetting. Just have this be your moment where you want to change and go from there. :)

I don't know about quick, usually if you have quick weight loss it isn't permanent, iykwim. I'm not sure how you eat now, but slowly make changes that you can live with. Cut out sugar (maybe not overnight, but start with no desserts or snacks in the evening, something like that). Start walking as much as you can. A morning walk maybe? Take the stairs all the time. And add in other exercise as you feel ready, but not so quickly that you will hurt yourself. Eat more veggies and less meat and pasta. Know portion sizes for your main course, fill in with salad and other green veggies. I'm sure you know how to eat, but doing it takes preparation. I try to stay a day or two ahead on my menus and prep so I always have cut up veggies in the fridge or some precooked chicken for a salad. That way I won't reach for something that I will regret. :001_smile:

Hang in there. With a few changes you will notice the difference right away. Maybe not on the scale but you'll feel good and probably have more energy. Come back here for support anytime!!

:grouphug::grouphug:

If you want quick...medifast. I use wonderslim products at http://www.dietdirect.com when I need to lose a quick ten pounds. Easy peasy, tastes good, and you lose weight fast. Last time I did it before a vacation, I lost 12 pounds in two weeks (there were bathing suits involved, and I had a certain weight in mind). I'm not overweight, and I know people who have more weight to lose can take it off faster. It's about 1,000-1,200 calories per day, but you eat all the time and you're never hungry. Seriously, I love it, and the weight stays off. Until Christmas rolls around...I eat my way through the holidays.

Anyway, it's not a permanent lifestyle change, it's a diet for those times when you just want the dang weight GONE. You can make a permanent lifestyle change just as easily after the 25 ponds are gone. :D

And, yes, to those who asked. Insurance companies are becoming MUCH more stringent on weight when deciding whether or not to offer coverage. For life, health and disability insurance. If you are in the "overweight" category on a height/weight or BMI chart, you will very likely be denied until your weight falls within their parameters. Three women in my dh's office were denied life insurance just this month for this very reason. Two were categorized as "obese" at 40 pounds overweight, and one as "overweight" with 28 pounds over the chart weight.

Look, you don't want to be spending money right now, your dh is out of work.

Go to Sparkpeople . com and start a food diary. It will take you a couple days to figure it out, that is ok. You can enter food information etc.

You have to weigh and measure your portions and keep track of your calories. Sparkpeople can give you a weekly menu or you can enter what you eat. Sparkpeople is free. It isn't always easy peasy, but it is workable. I enter lots of my own food.

I use it every day (almost) for years. I chose to enter what I eat, but I know people who used the food plan given to them.

I have lost and kept of 40 lbs. I have kept it off for at least 4 years. It could be longer, but I have lost track. I did it through portion control, weighing and measuring what I eat, eating healthy food (nothing 'weird' or expensive etc) and getting daily exercise. Oh, and sleep and water. When I was in serious 'weight loss' mode I gave up alcohol and really all junk food and treats. I did NOT eat the kids leftovers. I still don't do that.

I did nothing extreme and I didn't spend money on anything special. I bought a food scale, a tape measure and a stainless steel water bottle. Once a year I allow myself a 'health purchase'. One year it was new sneakers, another year it was a yoga mat, this year it was a couple exercise DVDs I wanted. But I don't spend much. I use that food scale every single day. I bought it at the grocery store and it cost less than 15$.

I bet you already know what kind of food you should be eating. It is difficult to get a handle on portion size. Women really get the short end of the stick with that. As a short woman (hardly 5 feet tall) my calorie allotment is puny.

And don't feel badly. Really don't. I heard on TV about one insurance company kicking a BABY off insurance for weighing too much. I would be wanting to hide under my bed and never come out, but please don't. If they won't take people who need to lose 25lbs, then they aren't taking many people. I could prob stand to lose close to 20 lbs and I look pretty darn good, if I do say so.

And, yes, to those who asked. Insurance companies are becoming MUCH more stringent on weight when deciding whether or not to offer coverage. For life, health and disability insurance. If you are in the "overweight" category on a height/weight or BMI chart, you will very likely be denied until your weight falls within their parameters. Three women in my dh's office were denied life insurance just this month for this very reason. Two were categorized as "obese" at 40 pounds overweight, and one as "overweight" with 28 pounds over the chart weight.

I can hardly believe this. I know thin people who were thin because they drank and smoked nonstop, and they had insurance! Or thin drug addicts, junk food addicts, etc. I know of overweight diabetics who had insurance.

Obese at 40 pounds over? Of course, 40 pounds over isn't good, but what if you are near 6 feet tall? You look a little heavy. If you are 4'8", you do look really overweight.

My trainer at the gym, a prize-winning bodybuilder, told me that HE was declined once because he was "overweight". The guy had like 3% bodyfat, and the rest was all solid muscle. He wore a size 50 coat while having a 30 inch waist!

His doctor had to write a letter to the insurance company explaining to them how HE did not fit the parameters. Weight alone just doesn't tell the story.

Edited by Moderator
Removed political statement

Go to Sparkpeople . com and start a food diary. It will take you a couple days to figure it out, that is ok. You can enter food information etc.

You have to weigh and measure your portions and keep track of your calories. Sparkpeople can give you a weekly menu or you can enter what you eat. Sparkpeople is free. It isn't always easy peasy, but it is workable. I enter lots of my own food.

I use it every day (almost) for years. I chose to enter what I eat, but I know people who used the food plan given to them.

I have lost and kept of 40 lbs. I have kept it off for at least 4 years. It could be longer, but I have lost track. I did it through portion control, weighing and measuring what I eat, eating healthy food (nothing 'weird' or expensive etc) and getting daily exercise. Oh, and sleep and water. When I was in serious 'weight loss' mode I gave up alcohol and really all junk food and treats. I did NOT eat the kids leftovers. I still don't do that.

I did nothing extreme and I didn't spend money on anything special. I bought a food scale, a tape measure and a stainless steel water bottle. Once a year I allow myself a 'health purchase'. One year it was new sneakers, another year it was a yoga mat, this year it was a couple exercise DVDs I wanted. But I don't spend much. I use that food scale every single day. I bought it at the grocery store and it cost less than 15$.

I bet you already know what kind of food you should be eating. It is difficult to get a handle on portion size. Women really get the short end of the stick with that. As a short woman (hardly 5 feet tall) my calorie allotment is puny.

And don't feel badly. Really don't. I heard on TV about one insurance company kicking a BABY off insurance for weighing too much. I would be wanting to hide under my bed and never come out, but please don't. If they won't take people who need to lose 25lbs, then they aren't taking many people. I could prob stand to lose close to 20 lbs and I look pretty darn good, if I do say so.

Good for you in doing this! You are right. The portion size is a killer. I like to feel like I have had a meal, not a bite-sized appetizer, when I'm done! And that's all I can eat at my age without sustaining or gaining weight. Appetizers. One. :tongue_smilie:

I agree. Slow and steady. It's frustrating but lasting change takes time, dedication and patience. For me adding exercise, tracking food and keeping " bad" stuff out of sight and healthier stuff up front have worked. I knew all that and I'm sure you do too but a site with encouragement and motivation helps.

Obese at 40 pounds over? Of course, 40 pounds over isn't good, but what if you are near 6 feet tall? You look a little heavy. If you are 4'8", you do look really overweight.

The parameters change with height and sometimes age. The calculations I've seen are based on BMI. My healthy weight range is 128 to 160 pounds. When I was under that top number, I was no longer considered overweight. And now, my new BMI is 22.9.

Healthy BMI range is 18.5 - 24.9.

Overweight BMI range is 25 - 29.9.

Obese BMI range is 30+

Before Weight Watchers, my BMI was 28.7, which is in the overweight range. That officially put me 24 lbs. overweight, meaning it would take a loss of at least 24 lbs. to get to the top end of the healthy weight range.

Each year, we have to do a health assessment for DH's work, but I'm not sure why the company does it. Because I was overweight, I qualified for free counseling/trainer. I declined because at that point I was already on Weight Watchers and exercising. I'm looking forward to that stupid assessment this year because I'm not overweight anymore.

Some people don't like the system that uses BMI but it's possible the OP's potential insurance firm used it.

I used this BMI website: US Dept. of Health & Human Services.

The fastest way is to stop eating flour altogether. If you can't stop eating flour altogether, at least stop eating white flour altogether and only eat whole grains and even those in limited amounts- not with every meal. Whole, natural foods as much as possible. Don't bother with low fat or fake sugars etc. I lost 60 lbs that way.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that's embarrassing and just being 25 lbs over doesn't sound all that bad!

I think the fastest way to lose weight is a diet of fruits and veggies - fresh or frozen; juiced or not - and daily exercise a few times a day. Jog for 30 minutes, bike for 30 minutes, weight train for 30 minutes, stretch/yoga for 30 minutes. Spread it out over the day and keep the metabolism moving all day.

The fastest way is to stop eating flour altogether. If you can't stop eating flour altogether, at least stop eating white flour altogether and only eat whole grains and even those in limited amounts- not with every meal. Whole, natural foods as much as possible. Don't bother with low fat or fake sugars etc. I lost 60 lbs that way.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that's embarrassing and just being 25 lbs over doesn't sound all that bad!

:iagree:

I've cut out grains and sugars (except for in my coffee!). Keep my carbs low and fat high, protein moderate. Fat is a great filler upper :) I've been eating this way since may and have dropped 15 pounds (I'm always a slow loser and I'm breastfeeding). I'm eating like 1800 calories a day and not hungry! I hate being hungry. Good luck. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I see this becoming more of an issue and weight is not a good indicator of health! And it's no one's business.

Edited by saranharm
typos

The real problem here has nothing to do with weight. You must live in a state where people can be denied coverage for pre existing conditions. All states under obamacare must offer high risk insurance to people in that category. Have you looked into that? Also are you certain that they are within their rights to refuse you for that? Sometimes insurers like to jerk people's chains and assume they'll comply. Maybe someone else has the specifics of where you can check and to whom you can complain. Have you looked into the grievance process?

eta this:

https://www.pcip.gov/

Edited by butterflymommy

First, I want to say a big thank you to all who replied. Thank you for your kindness and great suggestions.

Second, I want to just clear up that I do need to lose more than 25 lbs, BUT if I lose 25 lbs, insurance would not decline me. That is according to their standards of height/weight ratio. I was told that every state varies.

Anyway, as embarrassed as I am, it is just a good slap of reality. A wake up call per say. I have known for years that I need to lose weight, but haven't done so because it is so darn hard and I find very little time for myself these days.

I am just going to have to take this time and lose the darn weight. I can't allow this to happen again. I feel disgusting, and I hate that.

Thanks again for all the advice. I appreciate it sooo much! Everyone have a great day. :)

I've cut out grains and sugars (except for in my coffee!). Keep my carbs low and fat high, protein moderate. Fat is a great filler upper :) I've been eating this way since may and have dropped 15 pounds (I'm always a slow loser and I'm breastfeeding). I'm eating like 1800 calories a day and not hungry! I hate being hungry. Good luck. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I see this becoming more of an issue and weight is not a good indicator of health! And it's no one's business.

:iagree: I have tried every diet on the planet (multiple times!!!). I lost a fair amount of weight one summer using Spark People (I also started running), but I was hungry all the time!!!

Just last week, I decided to give up all grains. This led me to a low carb/high fat diet. I am only 8 days in, but I have lost 7 lbs already. I know it will slow down, which is fine, but I really think I can stick with it because I'm not hungry all the time!!! Fat is definitely a filler upper.

And I am so sorry that this happened to you. 25 lbs overweight does not sound bad at all. And depending on how your body is made, you might not be overweight at all!!! My dh is kind of stocky and very muscular. Right now he could stand to lose some belly weight, but even if he were "thin", he would still be off the BMI charts. His body just doesn't fit with those charts!!! How sad that the insurance company denied you because of this. :grouphug:

I was right there two years ago. We were trying to get private insurance and I was denied because I was "morbidly obese." Yes, I am overweight, but morbidly? I wear a size 14 and run 10-15 miles a week, plus lift weights and mountain bike. My health work-up was awesome, except for this stupid weight. :glare: I, too, was so devastated and embarrassed. Still am. But according to the insurance companies, I needed to lose 75 pounds. My personal doctor has said for years I would be a walking bag of bones if I lost down to what the charts say I should weigh, so I take a bit of comfort in knowing that the charts are stupid.

The only thing that saved my pride two years ago was the fact that my 45-year-old DH was denied health coverage because he had acne. :smilielol5: He was on acne meds at the time, which our old insurance didn't even cover so we were paying out-of-pocket. It was still enough to disqualify him for health insurance. :glare:

Again, :grouphug: You have already gotten some great diet advice. Just please know you are not alone!

Agree. I used myfitnesspal instead of sparkpeople, but both are perfectly adequate.

TOTALLY THIS. Love Sparkpeople. I lost 20 pounds so far. I'd like to lose a few more and build more muscle still but Sparks is what helped me.

There is also a WTM group there. They have been very supportive of me too.

My personal doctor has said for years I would be a walking bag of bones if I lost down to what the charts say I should weigh, so I take a bit of comfort in knowing that the charts are stupid.

Prior to my hysterectomy, any time I got into the top of the supposed "normal" range for my weight/height I'd stop having periods. I went three years once w/o a period, mostly because I was too stubborn to accept the fact that my body was saying something different than the media, the BMI tables and height/weight charts were telling me. Finally my gynecologist flat out said "Your body knows a lot more about what it needs to be healthy than any formula or chart. Listen to it." I put on a few pounds and soon became regular as clockwork. The moral of that story is no formula or chart is right for every single person. It's really too bad insurance companies don't seem to understand how fallible BMI is.

You need to watch the movie "Fat Head". It explains the history behind the BMI charts -- the people, the motivation, and what's wrong with them.

When I had life insurance with a particular company, they were charging us an extra $20 a month just because of my weight. My cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar levels, everything was perfectly normal. No health problems whatsoever, and no risk factors showing up in my physicals. And yet, they were nabbing an extra $240 a year out of us just for my weight. They said that if I reached the halfway point to my normal BMI, then my premiums would go down $10 a month, and then when I reached goal, another $10. :glare: Personally, without any medical evidence from my doctor, I think it's discrimination and should be illegal for them to do that. I get the risk factors and all that, but without something showing up in a physical that screams HIGH RISK (high b.p., diabetes, etc.), they shouldn't be allowed to do that. IMO. :tongue_smilie: There can be lots of perfectly legitimate reasons why one is out of their "normal" BMI range.

The kicker in all that? When I was initially evaluated for the insurance policy and the gal came out to take my vitals and bloodwork, I was PREGNANT. I think I was about 7 months along at the time, so OF COURSE I was "overweight"! But they didn't even factor in the pregnancy. :thumbdown: Had we realized we were being over-charged for my weight in the first place, we would've fought it, but we didn't realize it until a few years later when dh was calling around trying to reduce our insurance premiums all around. But by then, I really was overweight and couldn't argue the pregnancy defense. I was humiliated and livid when I found out, though. We're no longer with that company (by choice).

• 2 weeks later...

I too have lost weight with hCG. I am down 60 lbs, still have 40 more to go. It's not a fad diet and if you READ AND UNDERSTAND the protocol you could lose those 25 lbs in less than 40 days. Don't buy the hCG at Walmart or GNC, get it from a doctor or look into well known and proven homeopathic pellets. I have used both and they honestly WORK. There is a ton of info on a low-carb forum (not sure if I can post it here so PM me for the website) that has an hCG sub-forum.

It's not an easy diet to start, it's very limiting, but it works. Once you are past the first phase of the diet you start a modified Atkins/South Beach diet. I can eat up to 2200 calories a day and not gain any weight.

Shut the front door. Whoa.

:iagree: I'm finishing up day 13 of no sugar, no dairy, and no grains. My body feels so much healthier and I've lost weight. I eat good fat, meat, vegetables, and fruit. Check out Whole30.

I'm doing HCG right now because a friend of mine (who works in the medical profession) used it and lost 40 pounds. She still has a bit to go but it worked for her. I've got 30 pounds to lose so I'm doing HCG and weight watchers. Hoping the scale moves down tomorrow!

So sorry you are going through this. I am at the upper end of my comfortable weight range, and dreading having to do something about it. I am a sugar addict and get flat out miserable when I have to go without. Ugh.

And BTW, welcome to the world of for-profit private health insurance! :glare:

I dropped 25 lbs in 3 months last winter. I found that counting calories was HUGE for me. MyFitnessPal.com and Caloriecounter.com were my favorites but there are tons of sites that give calorie info. Knowing I had to write down the numbers gave me the oomph I needed not to reach for snacks or second helpings. I aim for lots of protein, especially in the morning. If I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, I'll be snacking within an hour.

I also joined a gym with free childcare (the YMCA has a sliding scale for monthly fees), but if you didn't want a monthly payment to deal with, I'd make a point of doing something active every day -- the calorie counting sites also give ways to track exercise calories burned.

Having a goal and being determined will go a long way!

Edited by amyrobynne