Menu

what is WRONG with teen/preteen boy brains????

My son is going to be the death of me. Not purposely, he just has zero common sense lately. Examples:

Me: please put your whites in the washing machine.

Him: ok....I put one shirt in.

Me: um...the ONLY whites you have are ONE shirt? In your whole hamper?

Him: uh....(scurries off and returns with an armload of whites)

Me: Where were those?

Him: In my hamper...I didn't look there before. I just looked on my floor.

:glare:

Also:

Me: Did you try that free lesson of Visual Link Spanish?

Him: Yes...it was really confusing and I didn't like it.

Me: really? Try it again, another lesson.

Him: Ok, but sit with me, so you can explain it.

Me: um, ok.....(watches as he puts the lesson on). Make sure you turn the volume up.

Him: oh.......I didn't have the volume on last time.

Me: The ENTIRE lesson is narrated orally! What on earth did you think was going on?

Him: I don't know, I said it was confusing!

These are just two examples. It is ridiculous. Yesterday his math was "too hard." I asked if the video lesson explained it well. He said he's NEVER watched a SINGLE video lesson. Um, I paid a lot of money for that interactive textbook. TRY actually watching the lesson!!!!! Oh, and he didn't realize that the "help" button by EVERY problem, was something he could click on for "help". GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

:lol::lol:

Mine didn't make inferences well. When he was little, he had no idea what a coffee table was--we'd always just called it "the brown table." Lots of stuff needed to be pointed out to him. I'm the same way sometimes, so I'm pretty patient--but sometimes it's a combination of frustrating and hilarious!

All I can do is LOL! This is what my life has been like for the past 10 years. They all have gone through that. I've given up on a lot of it, particularly the hamper. I even took the lids off so that the clothes would be easily inserted into the hamper. But, alas, the land on the floor AROUND the hamper. When that area fills up, it begins to find a way out the closet door...

And, volume is only used when one actually wants to hear the message (ie., music).

Just know that it will pass...in a couple of years. My youngest has got the volume type things down, but the hamper...well, we're still working on that.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I agree with the idea that teen boys lose their brains. My DS14 does many of the same things. I try to keep my calm and make sure I explain everything very thoroughly step by step or else it just doesn't click.

Boy's brains rewire at 8th or 9th grade. There was a special on it on TLC, very interesting.

Do an experiment, ask your husbands to remember who their teachers were in 8th or 9th grade. There will be a year that they go :confused: My ds is grown, dd is 4 years younger, when I asked him once what we used in language arts in middle school, he said he didn't remember. I even showed him the workbooks with his writing, he didn't remember doing it!

Boy's brains rewire at 8th or 9th grade. There was a special on it on TLC, very interesting.

Do an experiment, ask your husbands to remember who their teachers were in 8th or 9th grade. There will be a year that they go :confused: My ds is grown, dd is 4 years younger, when I asked him once what we used in language arts in middle school, he said he didn't remember. I even showed him the workbooks with his writing, he didn't remember doing it!

In all fairness I don't remember my teachers from 8th and 9th grade. In fact I don't remember the names of any on my teachers in middle and high school. Faces I remember but not names.

:iagree:

They're swimming in hormones, they're having huge growth spurts, their brains are literally rewiring, and they're rarely allowed to get as much sleep as they need. It's a wonder they can function at all! How many moms here were unfailingly organized, energetic, sweet-tempered, and cooperative when pregnant, hormonal, and sleep-deprived? ;)

I try to let DS sleep in when he needs it, make sure he gets plenty of protein and exercise, and cut him some slack. I'm sure he misses his brain as much as I do!

Jackie

:lol: Seriously I have been asking myself this often. I can't remember if I posted it on the hive or on fb but this conversation happened between me and ds14 the other day, the ds that is a natural speller and finds pride in that

Ds: Mom do you know what CID stands for?

Me: no, what?

Ds: Kids in detention

Me: um, kids starts with a 'k'

Ds: okay. Wait! what?? Kids starts with a k? *followed by furious erasing of his composition assignment*

That one stuck with me the most but he seriously walks around in a fog all the time with no common sense it seems. And in my province he can get his learners license now. Are you kidding me? The boy can not make it from point A to point B in the house without having to be told repeatedly what he is to be doing and you think I want him behind the wheel of the car. Yeah right!

Mine is only 9 1/2 and some of this seems to be starting here. It's frustrating.

How are you doing pregnancy wise, OP? (trying really hard not to say, haven't you had that baby yet???? :D)

lol!

I'm 41 weeks today. At this point I want to hold out until Sunday evening or Monday...my midwife gets back in town sometime sunday, and if I've waited this long I might as well wait another few days. Blood pressure is borderline..grr...last was 137/84. Earlier this morning it was the lowest it has been, which was 127/79. I'm hoping it is actually lower than the readings I have, because the cuff I have is really too small for me, but the larger cuff is too big...it goes up over my shoulder, lol. If I can keep my blood pressure in the ok range then I'm good.

My son is going to be the death of me. Not purposely, he just has zero common sense lately. Examples:

Also:

Me: um, ok.....(watches as he puts the lesson on). Make sure you turn the volume up.

Me: The ENTIRE lesson is narrated orally! What on earth did you think was going on?

These are just two examples. It is ridiculous. Yesterday his math was "too hard." I asked if the video lesson explained it well. He said he's NEVER watched a SINGLE video lesson. Um, I paid a lot of money for that interactive textbook. TRY actually watching the lesson!!!!! Oh, and he didn't realize that the "help" button by EVERY problem, was something he could click on for "help". GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Lol. Yep. I have one here myself. I read somewhere their brains don't develop until they are in their mid twenties, causing amazingly ridiculous episodes such as you describe all along, no matter how high the IQ. I believe it.

My 12 year old son stopped work on a lesson and told me he was done. I checked his work and none of the assignment had been completed. I asked him about it and he say, "Well, the lesson stopped so I thought I was done."

He had not turned the page. In mid sentence. :001_huh:

Now, I do things like write "Keep going" and "You are almost done" and "stop" in his books.

My 12 year old son stopped work on a lesson and told me he was done. I checked his work and none of the assignment had been completed. I asked him about it and he say, "Well, the lesson stopped so I thought I was done."

He had not turned the page. In mid sentence. :001_huh:

Now, I do things like write "Keep going" and "You are almost done" and "stop" in his books.

That's funny, especially the mid-sentence part!:lol:

lol!

I'm 41 weeks today. At this point I want to hold out until Sunday evening or Monday...my midwife gets back in town sometime sunday, and if I've waited this long I might as well wait another few days. Blood pressure is borderline..grr...last was 137/84. Earlier this morning it was the lowest it has been, which was 127/79. I'm hoping it is actually lower than the readings I have, because the cuff I have is really too small for me, but the larger cuff is too big...it goes up over my shoulder, lol. If I can keep my blood pressure in the ok range then I'm good.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

Also:

Well, as the mother of a ds12 I feel your pain. This week dh asked him to cut all the off shoots off that were growing up by a small tree. He was told repeatedly 'do not cut the biggest trunk'. What did he do? He started chopping on the biggest trunk. :glare: At some point he realized he wasn't suppose to and came in and fessed up. Later I went out and he had duck taped the chops to keep the tree from 'bleeding out.' :001_smile: He really is sweet and helpful...but it is as he hears about 20% of what is said to him.

:lol: Seriously I have been asking myself this often. I can't remember if I posted it on the hive or on fb but this conversation happened between me and ds14 the other day, the ds that is a natural speller and finds pride in that

Ds: Mom do you know what CID stands for?

Me: no, what?

Ds: Kids in detention

Me: um, kids starts with a 'k'

Ds: okay. Wait! what?? Kids starts with a k? *followed by furious erasing of his composition assignment*

That one stuck with me the most but he seriously walks around in a fog all the time with no common sense it seems. And in my province he can get his learners license now. Are you kidding me? The boy can not make it from point A to point B in the house without having to be told repeatedly what he is to be doing and you think I want him behind the wheel of the car. Yeah right!

:lol::lol::lol:

So nice to know my son isn't the only one who says (and does) stuff like that!

I'm so happy I came across this thread! It gives me hope for my ds13. All of the examples I've read sound so much like him. Sometimes my dh & I just look at each other in disbelief & shake our heads.

I say,"He's never going to be able to hold down a job." My dh says,"He's not leaving the nest" :lol: But reading this makes me feel like, if they're all like this, he might be ok!!:lol:

Bill Cosby sums it up nicely: children are brain damaged.

:iagree:

My hubby quotes this often when I'm frustrated. It is so so true. I remember when my little brother was a Pre teen. I thought he had lost his mind. It was like he suddenly went stupid and stayed there for a couple of years. He slowly grew out of it but he totally baffled me. Can't wait until my son hits that age...:tongue_smilie: