Menu

Just venting

My fabulous mom married last year and now it's impossible to be around her. It's XXXX does this and XXXX does that and he's so great and I love him so much and I'm so happy. And he's supporting me and yada yada yada, she is always shoving him up my nose and I do not like him. No one else likes him.

Couldn't visit with my brother because XX wouldn't stop monopolizing the conversation long enough for anyone else to tallk.

Can't visit with sister because he can hear us and wants some quiet.

I see them one week a year if I'm lucky. Tomorrow we move to dad's house. I came on this trip to see MOM. I saw xxx. Frankly I can't wait to get out.

Don't quote, I'll delete. I hope she is happy with him because she is running everyone else off.

:( That's really hard. My MIL and SIL are like that, the new man is the "be all, end all". They even completely adopt every interest that he has. SIL's ex SO (that she was with when DH and I married) loved wrestling, so she did, too. Then she met someone else and married him. He was a huge Tennessee Vols fan, suddenly her house was orange, her clothes were orange, she "couldn't get enough football", she even had big Tennessee "T"s everywhere. Then she divorced him and married someone else. That guy was into motorcycles and custom trucks. SIL was all about the bike rallies and truck shows then. MIL does the same thing, but with fewer men. I want to say "Seriously, develop your OWN personality."

She won't get over it. This is what she does. It's all about the man for her, even at the expense of her children and grandchildren. Vomit.

I have a stepmother my age. She was the other woman. She is also smart enough to fly low and keep her mouth shut. Easy, easy to be around. It's a pity that the woman who broke up my parent's marriage is the one we're comfortable with.

I know it's too late for this trip, but next time I think you should make a few specific plans with just your mom and your siblings away from your mother's house. Lunch, coffee, whatever it takes to have a good conversation with the people you really want to see. Maybe your dh could take the kids to play at the park at the same time, so he gets a break, too. Is there a hotel in town you could stay at next time? I know it costs more, but it's easier on the stress level.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry your mom is favoring her new man over her lifelong family. :(

Maybe you can talk to her and tell her how much fun it would be for the two of you to have some time alone together to go someplace special.

Alone.

Without him.

But you don't say, "without him." You just call it a mother-daughter day out.

Sounds like your dad's wife is a much nicer person than your mom's new husband. Personally, I would tell New Husband where to stick his attitude, and let the chips fall where they may, but I'm kind of mean like that.

Yup. We've got one of those around here too. He's been known to tell Mum when to go to bed, to hover around outside the door when she's gone to the loo, won't go across the road to buy a sandwich unless she stops talking to me and goes with him, and he stares at our booKs if we're not wearing our baggiest shirts with an apron over the top.

And they are coming to visit for ten whole days in a few weeks. *sigh* Sooner or later one of these visits is going to end in a barney... It might be this one because I've only got one full length apron.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

:grouphug:

My mother has also remarried and I do like him. She has changed however, now that she is a kept woman. She used to work, but no longer has to. He is well off, quiet and very nice. She has taken over in every way, speaks non-stop about all they do (travels, charity, etc) but does not take an interest in her children or grandchildren. We rarely speak now. It is tough.

She asked me this morning what was the matter and I told her. I said "Obviously xxx isn't happy with us here. I get one chance a year to visit with my sis and he fusses about us laughing?"

Sis is mad too and says she's going to mention it to mom.

He came out of the bedroom and said "Who is talking??? Who is talking??" Like we were two years old or something. Then said to keep it down.

He tried to apologize this morning, said it sounded like 100 people, he thought it was the tv, etc. I basically said nothing.