Menu

Best smartphone?

I have no clue which is the "best", but as the owner of a blackberry for years, I'm sorry to say I can no longer recommend them. Customer service stinks, data isn't as fast as iphone or android phones on the same network, and there aren't very many apps.

I'm not an iPhone lover and won't buy one most likely, but my next phone DEFINITELY WON'T be a blackberry.

There's a new Motorola phone with a really nice slideout keyboard that I have my eye on.....

I love my iPhone. A lot. I thought I would miss the flip out keyboard when I upgraded from my LG Xenon. I haven't.

The touch screen is much more receptive, IMO, than any other smartphone I've played with and I've had zero tech issues in the nearly two years I've had it. I use it for far more than I ever thought I would.

I loved my BlackBerry (Storm, not Storm2) for years, and only reluctantly switched to iPhone when the Storm was going caput and I couldn't get another. (Storm2 has horrible reviews)

I love my iPhone. It works much better than my husband's droid, which has experienced random lockups and shut downs, GPS issues, and other weird things since the beginning, and has now developed lines on the screen (no drops or damage; it lives in an Otter box).

My iPhone has been going strong for 18 months, has a better display, and is faster. I have a 4, not 4S.

We had Palm Treos for years and finally switched to iPhone when the Treos stated to act up. My dh got the iPhone first. When he upgraded to the 4S I got his 4. So it is about two years old now and is still going strong.

However, we are biased here as we are a Mac only family. All our Mac products just work and keep going and going and going . . .

The only thing I'd give up my Samsung Galaxy SIII for is a Galaxy Note 2 (or maybe a Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD, but only is it has the same or better battery than the MAXX).

I hadn't expected to like it as much as I do.

Another vote for iPhone here. I especially love using FaceTime with my sister and her two young daughters. It is almost like being there with them. I love seeing their faces when we talk. They live far away so we only visit once a year or so. If you have any family far away with iPhones I highly recommend them.

My dh and Ds have fancy androids, but they both admit that our iPhones are more fun.

While DH, who has an iPhone for work, drools over my Android phone. :001_smile:

I just don't get the iPhone love. The interface seems to my to be little more than a scrolling list of app icons, and I'd rather pull out my own teeth than ever have to deal with iTunes again. I say this as someone who has owned exclusively macs for the last 15 or so years.

I bought one of the few Windows OS smart phones on the market, the Nokia Lumia. I have to say that I do love it. It's kind of considered an entry level smart phone, but there's not really much I can't do. I email, go online, text, use the camera and send photos, watch movies on Netflix, use the GPS, keep lists and use the calendar which is synced with my online scheduler. It's fast and easy to use. It's gotten pretty great reviews from others, too.

I love my iPhone. It is the only smartphone I've ever used, so I can't compare. However, my sister and a good friend were dedicated Blackberry users and both gave it up as inferior and went to iPhones. They will both tell you very loudly not to go Blackberry.

The only thing I'd give up my Samsung Galaxy SIII for is a Galaxy Note 2 (or maybe a Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD, but only is it has the same or better battery than the MAXX).

My dh and I both have Galaxy SIII and we love them. We have friends who have the iPhone and my dad has one. It's also very nice. I may have waited for the new iPhone, but my dh really wanted an Android. Right now, the Galaxy SIII is nicer than the iPhone, but that will probably change when the new iPhone comes out.

The only things I wouldn't give up for my Galaxy Note are my children, possibly my husband, and maybe the cats.

I love my iPhone. It works much better than my husband's droid, which has experienced random lockups and shut downs, GPS issues, and other weird things since the beginning, and has now developed lines on the screen (no drops or damage; it lives in an Otter box).

My iPhone has been going strong for 18 months, has a better display, and is faster. I have a 4, not 4S.

I have had a similar experience with my droid bionic, which we got in March. It will start taking longer and longer to answer calls (like up to 10 seconds, so people hang up while I'm frantically saying, "Hello? . . . Hello?!") and eventually I won't be able to access my voicemail. It will randomly turn itself onto airplane mode, so I miss calls because I don't think to check that it is actually receiving calls. When it gets annoying enough, I take it back to Costco, and the nice guy there takes everything out, puts it back to factory settings, etc., and that fixes things for a little while. VERY annoying. I don't recommend the bionic!

Of course, my dh got the same phone at the same time, and he really hasn't had any problems with his, so most likely I just got a lemon. But still . . . I'm not impressed!

i prefer the iphone, but that's what i own. i only have a 3G, but my parents have the latest and greatest. it truly is amazing and i'm jealous. imho, there is no comparison to the latest iphones. just my 2cents.

oh. FWIW, i have an iphone through straight talk (pay monthly - no contracts). it's only $45 a month & it is unlimited talk, text, and web. love it!

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I have an HTC desire S which is a brilliant phone. Very intuitive and easy to use. I have also used Samsung galaxy phones and not found them as intutive but it may just be what I have got used to. If I didn't have an HTC I probably would have gone for an iphone.

I have an HTC desire S which is a brilliant phone. Very intuitive and easy to use. I have also used Samsung galaxy phones and not found them as intutive but it may just be what I have got used to. If I didn't have an HTC I probably would have gone for an iphone.

Samsung has developed an interface called TouchWiz, and I don't know anybody that likes it. It's better in the latest iteration of Samsung phones, though... far more intuitive. However, one nice thing about Android phones is that if you don't like the skin/launcher, you can change it. I lasted less than a week with TouchWiz before installing Nova launcher. HTC does makes some nice high-end phones. If Verizon had opted to carry the One X, I would have given it some serious consideration.

In June I upgraded to an iPhone 4S, before that I had a Palm Pre which was ok, but a real pain and it didn't last as long as we'd hoped. I was not a fan of the OS on that either. I've never had an android but am slowly converting my husband into a mac lover. I couldn't wait to get my iphone and :001_wub: it. I'm so glad sprint finally came to their senses and worked with apple to bring the iphone to sprint. We'd seriously considered changing to a new provider just so we could have iphones. My dh wasn't sure he'd like it and since his Pre was still working ok thought he'd stick with it, but I got him his upgrade when he came back from deployment a few weeks ago and although he won't admit it he is smitten with it and loves that I made him make the switch. Our imac that I bought the kids is also growing on him, he's now considering upgrading from his touchpad to an ipad like the rest of us.

I have an android galaxy series (ice creams sandwich OS). bigger screen than the iphone, and it's thinner.

I would stay away from a qwrty keyboard as the keyboard just adds bulk and reduces the screen size. I had a phone with one, and I refused to even look at one this time.

eta: I had a 'phone fell out of pocket, got wet, and had to be dried out" experience. I heard back from many iphone users who were unable to save their wet phones becasue they couldn't take them apart to dry them out. Made me really glad I hadn't bought one.

Edited by gardenmom5

Actually, I am an m and live overseas and travel to the US occasionally. I need an unlocked phone without a plan that I can use in both countries by changing the SIM. In my country of service, I will have a data plan.

The cost of an unlocked iPhone is prohibitive, otherwise it would be my first choice.

Is it the 3g or the 3g-s? I got a used 3g for my son and it is very limited in what it can do. He can't even download many of the apps we purchased.

I am planning to upgrade as soon as I can.....I think with the iphone 5 coming out, there will be plenty of iphone 4 and iphone 4s available soon! A friend said she has 2 iphone 4 models available and is offering to sell them to me as soon as she gets the 5.

With Straight Talk I can get any ATT iphone.

Are your parents upgrading? Maybe you can get their hand me downs!

Dawn

i prefer the iphone, but that's what i own. i only have a 3G, but my parents have the latest and greatest. it truly is amazing and i'm jealous. imho, there is no comparison to the latest iphones. just my 2cents.

oh. FWIW, i have an iphone through straight talk (pay monthly - no contracts). it's only $45 a month & it is unlimited talk, text, and web. love it!

I recently bought an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google. It is much cheaper than an unlocked iPhone. I am very happy with it. I have found the Android OS very user friendly. I also own an iPad and have no difficulty switching between my phone and the iPad.

Diann

I love my iPhone 4S. Not having to type out text messages or reminders is awesome. Siri will do it for me. :D

Android has had voice services for years, and voice actions like composing texts since 2010. :tongue_smilie: They have moved beyond this, though, with Google Now.

ETA: I don't use voice commands because I feel silly talking to my phone. This may prove to be yet another generational marker.

Edited by nmoira

• 10 months later...

Android has had voice services for years, and voice actions like composing texts since 2010. :tongue_smilie: They have moved beyond this, though, with Google Now.

ETA: I don't use voice commands because I feel silly talking to my phone. This may prove to be yet another generational marker.

I totally ignoring the spam, but I caught a glimpse of my last paragraph above and just wanted to add that I talk to my phone all the time now. Not for opening apps or anything that is easily done with one or two taps, but for complicated queries and Google Now functions.

I've had numerous cell phones and I'm on my third smart phone. My husband has to have one for business and since I am disabled, it is very necessary to have one in case of an emergency when driving. But I never used them to actually call anyone or play games or text -- I hated them, really -- hard to hold (I have disease similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis), a waste of time, etc etc.

Well, that is, until we switched to iPhone. I don't know why I found the iPhone so much more usable - it just seems to be easier to hold and clearer to see. Okay, I still hate texting but I occasionally do it with those who love it. I have really only learned to appreciate what smartphones can offer since I got the iPhone.

I know I sound like an advertisment, lol. I am really not, btw, one of those rabid Apple fans.We are a multiple computer home (husband offices here and is in the IT field), and although my newest computer is also Apple, I preferred my Windows operating system and installed Parallel so that I could use it on an Apple product (old Windows, not the new one). But I do love the iPhone.