Menu

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how did you know? She sat in the water and was still for a moment then got right up? Or... oh, gosh, did the water turn yellowish? Ew...

If you must create a visual image: a dark yellow cloud surrounded her. If I hadn't have been so disgusted, I would have told her she needed to drink more fluids.

:ack2: Did she or anyone else say anything??

No. It was her, my friend and me, and our children. We didn't know her, but then, I don't know that I would have known what to say if I had known her. I mean, how do you tell someone that you just saw them do that? My friend sort of gestured to me, I saw it and immediately asked YDS if he wanted to go back to the big pool to see what his brother was up to.

If you must create a visual image: a dark yellow cloud surrounded her. If I hadn't have been so disgusted, I would have told her she needed to drink more fluids.

'

:lol:

Even though it's gross, peeing in a pool doesn't really represent a health concern unless the person peeing has an infection. Absent infection, urine does not contain bacteria. What is there to report?

It could be the most sterile thing in the world, and I still wouldn't want to sit in someone else's body fluids!

What happened when your kid peed in the bathtub? It's not like pooping, which definitely involves bacteria and health concerns.

Personally, I drained the tub, washed kidlet again using the shower attachment, and then had the tub scrubbed out. I didn't let them sit in it, despite the fact it was their *own* waste products.

Personally, I drained the tub, washed kidlet again using the shower attachment, and then had the tub scrubbed out. I didn't let them sit in it, despite the fact it was their *own* waste products.

That is one way to approach it. Waste products do seem gross. Some are *merely* gross, and some pose a health risk due to bacteria.

Yeah, standard operating procedure. Peeing incidents (not in diaper or toilet) by tiny children are followed by soap and rinsing, and big people use the toilet. Big people always and only use the toilet, and they are very neat about it, and they always properly wash their hands afterwards (again with the soap), leaving the bathroom exactly as they found it.

In my universe, where it is Nicer.

Honestly, it wasn't until I grew up and read mommy message boards that I ever doubted these standards for all humans in a first world setting where we have access to indoor plumbing, soap, and ample water for cleanliness. And I wish I'd never learned otherwise.

That is one way to approach it. Waste products do seem gross. Some are *merely* gross, and some pose a health risk due to bacteria.

Well, having worked in health care, I can say universal precautions were used whenever body fluids/waste products were present. Period.

So, no, I don't make a distinction in that regard. Waste product, body fluid, none of which should be deliberately released in a public pool.

As someone on a swim team and/or lifeguarding from age 5-33, I have known many, many people to pee in the pool. In theory I couldn't care less, knowing that is not a health concern, but seeing it happen is different - especially if it is so obvious. I would be more embarrassed for her than grossed out.

Yeah, standard operating procedure. Peeing incidents (not in diaper or toilet) by tiny children are followed by soap and rinsing, and big people use the toilet. Big people always and only use the toilet, and they are very neat about it, and they always properly wash their hands afterwards (again with the soap), leaving the bathroom exactly as they found it.

In my universe, where it is Nicer.

Honestly, it wasn't until I grew up and read mommy message boards that I ever doubted these standards for all humans in a first world setting where we have access to indoor plumbing, soap, and ample water for cleanliness. And I wish I'd never learned otherwise.

But what would happen if you didn't drain the water, wash with soap, and rinse? Absent infection, exactly nothing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to swim in someone else's urine. Yes, it is Nicer to deposit urine in the toilet. But peeing in a swimming pool (again assuming an infection free person) simply does not present the health risk that pooping in the same pool does. Yes, it is gross, but it is just gross.

Yeah, well, I was once flamed for saying mothers in the third world care about cleanliness too! :glare: Watch any documentary that shows kids in the developing world taking a bath, and you see way more soap than I've ever seen on an American kid!

Why can't people just pee before they get in the pool? :001_huh:

Yeah, well, I was once flamed for saying mothers in the third world care about cleanliness too! :glare: Watch any documentary that shows kids in the developing world taking a bath, and you see way more soap than I've ever seen on an American kid!

Why can't people just pee before they get in the pool? :001_huh:

Of course they do! But it isn't always as convenient; isn't that one reason why handwashing rituals are part of many religions and cultures in some other countries? Unlike here, where no preparation, ritual, or schedule is required for hygiene, you just walk a short distance to facilities with running water and soap. This is just about the easiest place in the world to have immaculate personal hygiene habits, yet we keep hearing about phantom poopers and public pee-ers. What's going on?

Of course they do! But it isn't always as convenient; isn't that one reason why handwashing rituals are part of many religions and cultures in some other countries? Unlike here, where no preparation, ritual, or schedule is required for hygiene, you just walk a short distance to facilities with running water and soap. This is just about the easiest place in the world to have immaculate personal hygiene habits, yet we keep hearing about phantom poopers and public pee-ers. What's going on?

:lol:

And to the original post, that's just gross!!!

What?!?! It was the MOM?!? Oh wow....just so wrong:eek:

I know. I was really confused for the first page of this thread until it dawned on me that it wasn't the kid.

We were just talking about this -- whether there's more pool-peeing after Ryan Lochte's announcement that he always pees in the pool. Except I figured it was the little kids, not the adults, who figured they now had license to pee.

Also, who ever tagged this read my mind regarding all the weird posts we have lately about people pottying in inappropriate places.

BTW, the bright yellow color could be something she ate. B vitamins will do that, for example. Well, at least in the toilet. I've never tested them in a pool.

Well, having worked in health care, I can say universal precautions were used whenever body fluids/waste products were present. Period.

So, no, I don't make a distinction in that regard. Waste product, body fluid, none of which should be deliberately released in a public pool.

\

And sweat? How did you deal with that? It's a waste product as well. The risk factor for urine doesn't even begin to approach the risk factor for feces. What kind of system doesn't acknowledge that?

Edited by Lawana
spelling

Okay that is NASTY regarding the OP and the woman. :eek::ack2: WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!??!

But....

Seriously?? A little kid pee in their own bath? It doesn't bother me in the least bit. There is no way I'm draining the tub and starting all over again over a little of their own pee! It's diluted like 1:1,000 in a bathtub full of water!

Okay that is NASTY regarding the OP and the woman. :eek::ack2: WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!??!

But....

Seriously?? A little kid pee in their own bath? It doesn't bother me in the least bit. There is no way I'm draining the tub and starting all over again over a little of their own pee! It's diluted like 1:1,000 in a bathtub full of water!

I don't think Imp was talking about starting over, or even making him get right out of the bath. (I wasn't, at least.) But if he peed in the bath, when bathtime was over I'd be soaping him and rinsing him with clean water, whether by shower attachment or just with a wet cloth. And I clean the bathtub after baths, anyway.

I don't think Imp was talking about starting over, or even making him get right out of the bath. (I wasn't, at least.) But if he peed in the bath, when bathtime was over I'd be soaping him and rinsing him with clean water, whether by shower attachment or just with a wet cloth. And I clean the bathtub after baths, anyway.

Okay, gotcha. I was having a majorly insecure parenting moment there. LOL

Um, y'all know that those swim diapers don't contain/absorb urine, right? I don't pee in the pool but honestly, if you have swum in a pool with babies, you have swum in a pool that has been peed in a fair bit.

:iagree:

And truthfully... any public pool with kids is going to have a % of urine in it. Just saying. I get bothered over the fact no one showers anymore (like in the old days) before going into the pool. Remember that rule... and how girls had to wear swim caps? ;) But people still peed in the pool even back then.

Um, y'all know that those swim diapers don't contain/absorb urine, right? I don't pee in the pool but honestly, if you have swum in a pool with babies, you have swum in a pool that has been peed in a fair bit.

Yeah. But seeing an adult do it was quite difference from the abstract knowledge. But, then, my kids refuse to even pee in the ocean.

But....

OK thank you. I was wondering if I was the grossest mom in the world, but I do not drain the tub and hose down the kid every time they pee. I don't even know when they've peed most of the time, I'm sure. They sit in the tub usually and their pee is very light colored. Draining and refilling the tub would take about 15-20 minutes, which is an eternity at bedtime. The twins are terrified of running water, so hosing them off with the shower would be an exercise in toddler torture (and bring back the bath-phobia that we're finally getting over). Plus they sit in undiluted pee ALL THE TIME (in their diapers). They wake up in the morning with diapers that would fit the Michelin Man, so I'm sure they've been coated in that all night. At least the tub is mostly water! If I see major peeing I usually end the tub. If they aren't rinsed yet, I may fill a cup from the sink to rinse them with instead of the pee-water, but otherwise I don't realize it.

That said, the grown woman letting loose a yellow flood in the kiddy pool is a disgusting image, I must say. My 4yo knows not to pee in the tub or pool. I know she doesn't, because she always needs to get out to use the potty at the worst.possible.moment.

Edited by AdventureMoms

If Ryan Lochte can do it in the Olympic pool, then why not?

:ack2:

I am starting to really not like that guy. Now he's wanting to trademark this made up word he uses, and what his mom said, and the grill...yeah, chlorine got to him, I think. He's pickled.

I don't know, but I'm starting to fear an epidemic! Where are the mothers!!!

That's got to be our tag line, "Where are the mothers!"

And if you've swum in a pool where a swim team practices, you've also swum in a pool that's been peed in more than a fair bit.

I am starting to really not like that guy. Now he's wanting to trademark this made up word he uses, and what his mom said, and the grill...yeah, chlorine got to him, I think. He's pickled.

That's got to be our tag line, "Where are the mothers!"

Let's make "Where are the mothers!" T-shirts. We'll confuse the world due to lack of information, but we'll feel better.