Menu

Just one more time, nobody drains, scrubs, and refills the tub to start over when a toddler pees. Imp and I were talking about just being sure to soap and rinse him with clean water at the end of bathtime, and doesn't everybody clean the tub after baths, anyway.

There is no toddler pee hysteria.

:lol: toddler pee hysteria. :lol:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one more time, nobody drains, scrubs, and refills the tub to start over when a toddler pees. Imp and I were talking about just being sure to soap and rinse him with clean water at the end of bathtime, and doesn't everybody clean the tub after baths, anyway.

I'm so confused. If you have to soap and rinse after the bath, what is the point of the bath? For us, at least, "soap and rinse" IS the bath. Sometimes shampoo, but mostly not. And I'm sure my boys pee in there at least half the time. If I was going to totally wash them again after, I probably wouldn't bother to fill the tub, kwim?

Clean the tub after EVERY bath? I've never heard of it honestly. After the boys have their bath, DD has hers. I dont' clean the tub between. I do refill it. Then DW and I shower. We do not pee in the shower and it gets lots of soapy water so I guess that might clean it. I clean (like with a bathroom cleaner) the tub once or twice a week. In between I probably wipe it up with a washcloth when I fish out the toys. But not really clean it with cleaning stuff, no. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't either. Maybe I really am the grossest mom ever. :auto:

Does everyone really do the bolded? I don't and I don't remember anyone ever doing so when I was younger. I usually clean the bathrooms weekly, but never have made it a point to do so after every bath.

The OP would weird me out. I don't recall it being obvious that my dds went in the tub, but I'm sure they did. I never felt a need to give them an extra cleaning before getting out.

I'm so confused. If you have to soap and rinse after the bath, what is the point of the bath? For us, at least, "soap and rinse" IS the bath. Sometimes shampoo, but mostly not. And I'm sure my boys pee in there at least half the time. If I was going to totally wash them again after, I probably wouldn't bother to fill the tub, kwim?

Clean the tub after EVERY bath? I've never heard of it honestly. After the boys have their bath, DD has hers. I dont' clean the tub between. I do refill it. Then DW and I shower. We do not pee in the shower and it gets lots of soapy water so I guess that might clean it. I clean (like with a bathroom cleaner) the tub once or twice a week. In between I probably wipe it up with a washcloth when I fish out the toys. But not really clean it with cleaning stuff, no. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't either. Maybe I really am the grossest mom ever. :auto:

^^^ This is me also. It really DID sound like toddler pee hysteria, just saying. :tongue_smilie:

Hmmm, my kids rarely took baths. Once they could stand on their own, they had shower baths. They have/had sensitive skin and the girls got infections easily. I guess I'm the bad mom. :D

OP, it is gross. It is one thing to know that it occurs, and an entirely different thing to see someone actually do it. Ew.

Yeah. But seeing an adult do it was quite difference from the abstract knowledge. But, then, my kids refuse to even pee in the ocean.

Yeah, I can't even get my sons to pee in the bushes when we are miles from a trailhead. My younger one has cracked and will pee on a tree now but my older one will just hold it. I am figuring that backpacking will break him of this. He definitely is not the kid peeing in the pool. ;)

In theory I couldn't care less, knowing that is not a health concern, but seeing it happen is different - especially if it is so obvious. I would be more embarrassed for her than grossed out.

:iagree:

Actually seeing an adult woman pee in the pool would be shocking!!!:001_huh:

Does everyone really do the bolded? I don't and I don't remember anyone ever doing so when I was younger. I usually clean the bathrooms weekly, but never have made it a point to do so after every bath.

I never cleaned the bathtub after every bath, just once a week.

Yes, I *do* wash them if they've peed in the tub. It's a quick scrub and rinse. Blame it on being in health care. *shrug*

No, I don't scrub the tub. Personally, I physically can't. But, I do rinse it out really well w/the shower head. Wolf usually washes the tub *before* kids get their bath though.

This would skeeve me out to see but considering just last week all the talk about how ALL the Olympic swimmers/swim team members pee in the pool I'm guessing there is probably always pee in the pool. I wouldn't personally pee in a pool or want my kids to either but it seems pretty common and if they aren't stopping the Olympic swimmers on account of hygiene then I would guess it is fairly safe.

My DS pees in the backyard all. the. time..... I just :001_rolleyes:, hope no one saw him, and move on with my day.

Yep. It's just not a battle worth fighting IMO. The problem comes when we are out in public and they think they can just find any old tree. Now THAT is embarrassing and we nip that in the bud real quick. :lol:

Well, having worked in health care, I can say universal precautions were used whenever body fluids/waste products were present. Period.

So, no, I don't make a distinction in that regard. Waste product, body fluid, none of which should be deliberately released in a public pool.

DD agrees. As a medic, body fluid is body fluid and it all gets treated the same.

And how would one know if the person were healthy and didn't have a bacterial infection? There would be no way to know. Our local pool is a saltwater pool because so many people are concerned about chlorine; these are becoming increasingly popular because they are healthier and more environmentally healthy. But, it probably isn't as strong of a disinfectant.

Faith

Yes, I *do* wash them if they've peed in the tub. It's a quick scrub and rinse. Blame it on being in health care. *shrug*

No, I don't scrub the tub. Personally, I physically can't. But, I do rinse it out really well w/the shower head. Wolf usually washes the tub *before* kids get their bath though.

"Quick scrub and rinse" = bath in my house. As I said, we're getting over some water fear issues, so we're trying to make all exposure to water as quick and painless as possible. By the time we're "finished' with the quick scrub and rinse the boys are trying to run away as fast as possible. Washing them again would involve wrestling two slippery, fast, strong, screaming toddlers while they tried to climb up over my shoulders. Half the time rinsing them in the first place is like that. So that's what I'm picturing when people say they wash the kid *again* after the tub. That might be why I find it a little startling.

"Quick scrub and rinse" = bath in my house. As I said, we're getting over some water fear issues, so we're trying to make all exposure to water as quick and painless as possible. By the time we're "finished' with the quick scrub and rinse the boys are trying to run away as fast as possible. Washing them again would involve wrestling two slippery, fast, strong, screaming toddlers while they tried to climb up over my shoulders. Half the time rinsing them in the first place is like that. So that's what I'm picturing when people say they wash the kid *again* after the tub. That might be why I find it a little startling.

All my kids have always loved the water, so it's not an issue here. Bath time = 5 mins of washing, 20 mins of playing.

Nope. Our bathtub is lucky to get washed once a week.

That is the standard I was taught, growing up. Clean the bathrooms once a week (but weeks got missed here and there). NEVER EVER a need to clean after every bath!

ETA: That would make for a REALLY clean bathtub though!

Edited by vonfirmath

What about washing babies in the kitchen sink? I did that with mine often, and I'm sure they peed in there. I only drained and rinsed. We're all rather healthy despite washing my dishes in that same sink (and I don't buy soaps/cleaners that are anti-bacterial).

We also let our boys pee in the backyard...........

I do not "let" them, but they do it anyway. The supposedly grown up one taught the young one the best spots around the farmyard for target practice. I am not sure of all the rules, but you get anywhere from 1 point for a stone, up to 50 points for a moving barn cat. :glare:

All my kids have always loved the water, so it's not an issue here. Bath time = 5 mins of washing, 20 mins of playing.

DD was like that. I miss it! However, even she had no interest in staying in once the water was gone. I do think I'd have had to hold her down if I came after her with a bar of soap but she had no water to play in!

And yeah the boys now love it -- for about 2 minutes, tops. Then they want out, whether I'm done or not. It is an immense and exhausting effort just to keep them in there long enough to rinse off the soap and such. They are BIG boys and very determined when they decide tubby-time is done!

Don't worry, you're doing just fine.

I do not "let" them, but they do it anyway. The supposedly grown up one taught the young one the best spots around the farmyard for target practice. I am not sure of all the rules, but you get anywhere from 1 point for a stone, up to 50 points for a moving cat. :glare:

Oh dear. :lol: I think it must be a boy mark your territory thing. Before they ever started peeing outside they would pee in weird spots in the house (like in the trashcan or the shower, both 2 feet away from the toilet itself? :confused: :glare: I spent SO.MUCH.TIME cleaning up pee, so peeing outside is a bit of a relief.

DD agrees. As a medic, body fluid is body fluid and it all gets treated the same.

And how would one know if the person were healthy and didn't have a bacterial infection? There would be no way to know. Our local pool is a saltwater pool because so many people are concerned about chlorine; these are becoming increasingly popular because they are healthier and more environmentally healthy. But, it probably isn't as strong of a disinfectant.

Faith

This is a saltwater pool. I wondered if that had something to do with how deep the color was.

I do not "let" them, but they do it anyway. The supposedly grown up one taught the young one the best spots around the farmyard for target practice. I am not sure of all the rules, but you get anywhere from 1 point for a stone, up to 50 points for a moving barn cat. :glare:

:lol:

Yep. It's just not a battle worth fighting IMO. The problem comes when we are out in public and they think they can just find any old tree. Now THAT is embarrassing and we nip that in the bud real quick. :lol:

Yeah. I only have one boy. That is a whole lot of boys you have to try and contain!!! :lol:

What can I say?

I use all natural cleaners, like baking soda and vinegar, and I give the tub a quick swipe and rinse after baths.

I bathed my babies in the sink, and washed the sink after the bath before I washed dishes in it or washed vegetables or something.

I'm not dousing the world with tri-closan and bleach, but I am not going to apologize or wonder if I'm OCD for cleaning out vessels used for bathing, or for not liking my babies to come out of their bath with their hair smelling like urine.

I learned all this from my mother who also does not use bleach or Lysol but cleaned children, tub, and sink very thoroughly. Our number one cleanser is what she called 'elbow grease.' My training in early childcare and in the medical field backed up this attention to cleanliness, and this belief in being thorough instead of using ever-stronger chemicals.

What can I say?

I use all natural cleaners, like baking soda and vinegar, and I give the tub a quick swipe and rinse after baths.

I bathed my babies in the sink, and washed the sink after the bath before I washed dishes in it or washed vegetables or something.

I'm not dousing the world with tri-closan and bleach, but I am not going to apologize or wonder if I'm OCD for cleaning out vessels used for bathing, or for not liking my babies to come out of their bath with their hair smelling like urine.

I learned all this from my mother who also does not use bleach or Lysol but cleaned children, tub, and sink very thoroughly. Our number one cleanser is what she called 'elbow grease.' My training in early childcare and in the medical field backed up this attention to cleanliness, and this belief in being thorough instead of using ever-stronger chemicals.

I've never done these things, and my kids have never smelled like urine after a bath. Ever. I don't have a problem with you doing it, I was just surprised by the comment that everyone does it that way.

ETA: I also do most of my cleaning with baking soda and vinegar. I keep a spray bottle of a mix under the kitchen sink. I've just never felt the need to clean after every bath.

What can I say?

I've never washed a baby in the sink either. The thought of washing my baby in the same place I wash raw meat just skeeves me out.

I washed all my kids in the sink. I have pictures of me getting washed in the sink.

I wash my sink out every day when I'm done with it, I scrub it out all the time after a load of dishes--I do my tub once a week. I'm thinking my sink is cleaner.

Plus, there's fecal matter in the bathroom, (remember the myth busters and the toothbrush episode?) so is it really cleaner than the kitchen sink?

I am pretty sanguine about pee in pools, but a yellow cloud around a mom sitting in the baby pool? That is seriously gross. Not to mention seriously weird.

When I was in college one my swim teammates was notorious for standing close to other people in his lane and peeing on them. One of the unsung benefits of being a much slower swimmer was that I never had to share a lane with him. Anyway, I recently read in the alumni magazine that he has become a very successful surgeon. If I ever run into him again I will have to ask him if he still pees on people in the pool.

I occasionally bathe babies in the sink only after it has been scrubbed VERY thoroughly. I do not scrub my bath after each use but I rinse them with clean water after I soap them up. Even if I didn't my children would never come out of the bath smelling like urine. :confused::confused: I don't even like them to bathe together, ideally they bathe at different times of day so I can drain and re-fill the bath between each one.

I do not bathe them everyday though.

I've never done these things, and my kids have never smelled like urine after a bath. Ever. I don't have a problem with you doing it, I was just surprised by the comment that everyone does it that way.

ETA: I also do most of my cleaning with baking soda and vinegar. I keep a spray bottle of a mix under the kitchen sink. I've just never felt the need to clean after every bath.

:iagree: I don't have a problem with anyone washing with whatever frequency they wish, I was just honestly startled, because I've never heard of washing the tub after every bath. Weekly is the standard I'm used to. I also do not use harsh chemicals (my bathroom cleaner, etc are homemade) and have never EVER had a kid smell like urine after a bath. Even with two boys peeing in there.

I washed all my kids in the sink. I have pictures of me getting washed in the sink.

I wash my sink out every day when I'm done with it, I scrub it out all the time after a load of dishes--I do my tub once a week. I'm thinking my sink is cleaner.

Plus, there's fecal matter in the bathroom, (remember the myth busters and the toothbrush episode?) so is it really cleaner than the kitchen sink?

I'm not saying the sink IS dirtier, especially other people's. I just picture the raw chicken whenever the thought of washing a baby in the sink runs through my head. Also, we only use one of our showers and it has a door that stays shut, so no flying fecal matter lands in it.

I am starting to really not like that guy. Now he's wanting to trademark this made up word he uses, and what his mom said, and the grill...yeah, chlorine got to him, I think. He's pickled.

The more I see him and the more he opens his mouth to speak, the less I like him. He seems like an egomaniacal jerk.

Edited to add: We're talking about Ryan Lochte.

Edited by Catwoman

A health hazard or no, it's just disgusting. DIS. GUS. TING! I seriously doubt I could get my kids to go into a public pool again if they knew people peed in it. Seriously. I know for a fact DD wouldn't get in again. For how long, I couldn't say... The other day I was playing in the YMCA pool with DD and DS6 while DS9 was doing swim team. I was chasing DD under water and when I came up, I heard, "...GO PEE!!!" and saw DS6 standing on the side of the pool. I was mortified. "DS, did you just tell everyone here that you have to pee?!" I was mortified! MORTIFIED...until a guy sitting near DS just chuckled and said, "Well, at least everyone knows your kids don't pee in the pool." LOL dude, thanks for that. You're right!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I would have had to say something... I wouldn't have been able to help myself...If you are bold enough to pee in the kids pool, I am gonna be bold enough to call you out on it. LOL

At our last house, in Pennsylvania, we had a pool. Last summer my son was three. One day we were swimming and he climbed out of the pool and ran out to the grass outside the pool gate and whipped his boy out and started peeing on my flowers. I was a bit shocked and asked him what he was doing. He told me he was peeing on the pee on me bush. Sure enough, he was "watering" my peonies.

I'm not at all convinced that it's not a health hazard, and I would like to see some documentation that says urine in a pool is harmless. I know that urine is usually quite sterile, but if a woman has a urinary tract infection, Hepatitis B, or cytomegalovirus, I'm quite sure those bacteria do remain in the urine, and in this kind of situation, end up in the pool. I would hope that the chemicals used to clean the pool would kill anything harmful, but public pools aren't always known for extreme cleanliness, so I wouldn't count on it.

As far as I know, all contaminants (sweat, urine, dirt, etc.,) have an effect on things like the pH balance in pool water, and too many contaminants mean that the chemicals used to keep the water clean and at a certain balance will not be as effective, thus potentially allowing some nasty bacteria to grow in the pool.

My feeling is that, even if the urine itself won't make you ill, its presence can prevent the pool chemicals from doing their jobs properly, thus indirectly causing a potential problem. You can catch some nasty stuff in public pools, and since kiddie pools have far less water in them than the adult pools, it takes fewer contaminants to cause problems.

I think it is disgusting that the mom peed in that water. :ack2:

Edited by Catwoman

I would have had to say something... I wouldn't have been able to help myself...If you are bold enough to pee in the kids pool, I am gonna be bold enough to call you out on it. LOL

At our last house, in Pennsylvania, we had a pool. Last summer my son was three. One day we were swimming and he climbed out of the pool and ran out to the grass outside the pool gate and whipped his boy out and started peeing on my flowers. I was a bit shocked and asked him what he was doing. He told me he was peeing on the pee on me bush. Sure enough, he was "watering" my peonies.

:lol::lol::lol:

"Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! What's up with PEEING IN THE KIDDIE POOL???"

Say it loud and say it proud.

And then watch all of the other moms stare at her like she has two hideous, disgusting heads as they grab their kids out of the pool and go elsewhere. :D

The woman would have had it coming to her!

Edited to add: You guys knew I was kidding, right? :blush:

Edited by Catwoman

:lol:

"Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! What's up with PEEING IN THE KIDDIE POOL???"

Say it loud and say it proud.

And then watch all of the other moms stare at her like she has two hideous, disgusting heads as they grab their kids out of the pool and go elsewhere. :D

The woman would have had it coming to her!

Mind you, I think it would be gross to see what the OP saw but, do you think the above is what you want to demonstrate for your children? It seems very junior high to me.

Treat others how you want to be treated.

If you really feel the need to say something to the woman, say it to her face one on one, not for everyone to hear.