Menu

Does your state have what it takes? Please share.

We put our business up for sale this month. Once it sells we will have a nice nest egg, no debt and the ability to move anywhere in the country we want. Right now we are in Idaho which has served us well for the last 7 years. However we are playing with the idea of moving some place else for the fun of it.

Here are the things we would like:

*A small town (or at least a small town outside of a city)

*Large homeschooling population

*Religious and secular hs groups. (This is a big one as we are LDS and most religious hs groups that require a statement of faith will not let us participate)

*Cool weather. Lots of snow is ok, heat above 80's no way.

*Fun community activities, community sports, museums, etc.

So if your area fits that, please share the details. :)

I don't really know too much about the business climate, but where I live in WA state, the weather (this week excepted!!!!!! :001_huh: ) is mild - winter runs in the 30s, summer in the 70s. There are short lived exceptions to that.

Personally, I know a LOT of homeschoolers. I don't use co-ops and the like, so I'm not too sure about secular or religious groups.

Western Washington has easy access to mountains and the ocean. It is an "outdoorsy" state with lots of skiing, rock climbing, hiking, biking, etc.

In my little corner of the world, we have a science museum, an aquarium, two zoos, a history museum, an art museum, lots of historical "pit stops," and several children's museums. (All of this is within walking distance to 60 minutes away.)

My children are involved in Scouts, soccer, and cheerleading. We used to have a baseball player, but he opted to be musical over athletic! :lol: So I do feel like there are a good variety of choices for activities.

The small city in which I live is so freaking backwards on taxes and local gov't that I could positively SPIT NAILS!!! Good heavens, the way they complicate everything is mind numbing. But it is small enough to walk all over, has a great school district (we don't use :tongue_smilie: ) a library, lots of community events, etc. It is kind of small town without actually being a small town... Hmmm.... :tongue_smilie:

Move to Alaska! Anchorage or Eagle River would fit all your qualifications!

Big LDS community (well, big for Alaska!). Lots of homeschoolers, both secular and religous, great business environment, perfect weather - not too cold and hardly ever above 75. Most years have tons of snow.

Big LDS community (well, big for Alaska!). Lots of homeschoolers, both secular and religous, great business environment, perfect weather - not too cold and hardly ever above 75. Most years have tons of snow.

Hmm, I wanna move up there! :D (I hate and detest heat but love and adore snow...)

*Religious and secular hs groups. (This is a big one as we are LDS and most religious hs groups that require a statement of faith will not let us participate)

If you don't want heat above 80, steer clear of New Jersey. :D

We put our business up for sale this month. Once it sells we will have a nice nest egg, no debt and the ability to move anywhere in the country we want. Right now we are in Idaho which has served us well for the last 7 years. However we are playing with the idea of moving some place else for the fun of it.

You could come here. We have all that except the museums. But they are close by in Canada.

We thought about Fairbanks years ago, just before moving here. I had never considered Anchorage. Whats the city like? I had read that housing was outrageous, any truth to that. Where is Eagle River?

Off to research....

You could come here. We have all that except the museums. But they are close by in Canada.

Chucki- I have been eyeing The County for years! Gorgeous up there. I talked with one of the realtors in town, he gave me the impression that those of us from "away" weren't very welcome. :) Any truth to that?

You really want to stay away from California!

I have to admit, you would have to pay me many millions of dollars to consider Ca. I lived there as a kid and still have PTSD. :D

Edited by caitlinsmom

We thought about Fairbanks years ago, just before moving here. I had never considered Anchorage. Whats the city like? I had read that housing was outrageous, any truth to that. Where is Eagle River?

Off to research....

Eagle River is a suburb of Anchorage, about 10 miles north. Compared to Idaho, housing is probably outrageous, but not compared to California!! :lol:

Anne

Kim, we are in Eagle River, AK. Huge LDS and homeschooling population. Community sports, theater, dance. Multiple public homeschool programs with allotments for curric and extracurric activities. Check out ideafamilies.org.

No state tax, and after a year you're eligible for the annual permanent fund dividend. Housing cost is middle of the road, cost-wise. You do tend to get less for the money, imo.

East coast!

Connecticut is one of the easiest states in the nation in which to homeschool. Cool temps, four seasons, lots of small rural towns within a short drive of college towns and cities with museums, etc. We're 2.5 hours from NYC and 2.5 hours from Boston.

astrid

Kim, we are in Eagle River, AK. Huge LDS and homeschooling population. Community sports, theater, dance. Multiple public homeschool programs with allotments for curric and extracurric activities. Check out ideafamilies.org.

No state tax, and after a year you're eligible for the annual permanent fund dividend. Housing cost is middle of the road, cost-wise. You do tend to get less for the money, imo.

I read about the Galena school district years ago. What a great program they have going there. I would love to have that kind of money available to get curriculum and supplies. That program alone is a point for Alaska. :)

I spent some time looking at houses in Eagle River today. Wow, lovely! The views are amazing. What is the wildlife like? Or rather, how does gardening work out during the summer? Does the wildlife make their claim before humans? I grow a huge vegetable garden every summer. If I have to take certain steps to make sure it gets to the table then I need to know. :)

I spent some time looking at houses in Eagle River today. Wow, lovely! The views are amazing. What is the wildlife like? Or rather, how does gardening work out during the summer? Does the wildlife make their claim before humans? I grow a huge vegetable garden every summer. If I have to take certain steps to make sure it gets to the table then I need to know. :)

People who aren't me grow huge prolific gardens. I'm lucky if I can grow mushrooms, but that's just my talent. Folks I know here with gardens usually have nice fences around them to discourage the wildlife. Seriously, growing things is NOT a problem here. Go google "world record cabbage".

I read about the Galena school district years ago. What a great program they have going there. I would love to have that kind of money available to get curriculum and supplies. That program alone is a point for Alaska. :)

There are some unique elements to gardening here, and some plants do better than others. The season is short, but the days are loooong. We do get a lot of moose in the yard, and had a black bear a couple days ago. You want to protect the garden with a 6 ft minimum fence. :-)

Laramie, WY. It has everything on your list.... except for, possibly, the large secular and Christian homeschooling groups. There is a large LDS population here though. Additionally, there is no income tax here, and the property taxes are extremely low. Add to that the fact that it's a University town, and you've got a pretty nice community. We've been very happy here!

Man, by the ages of your kids I'd live to have you move in on my street! But....it doesn't sound like Phoenix is your town. :sad:

:) I used to summer in Tuscon and I was afraid I would melt. I am a freckle faced red head that burns at the thought of seeing the sun. I flew into Phoenix once. I was sun burnt before we hit the freeway. Nope the sw is not for me.

Laramie, WY. It has everything on your list.... except for, possibly, the large secular and Christian homeschooling groups. There is a large LDS population here though. Additionally, there is no income tax here, and the property taxes are extremely low. Add to that the fact that it's a University town, and you've got a pretty nice community. We've been very happy here!

It's been years since I was in Laramie. Is it sad that I forget that WY exists except when I'm in Yellowstone Park? Adding to my list to check out. Thanks for the reminder.

I dream of living in Alaska...you are sooo lucky!:D

You're describing my town: Eagle River, Alaska.

*Not only are we home school friendly but there are several public school/home (parent) taught options that actually give you a stipend.

*There are great museums, theatre activities, music and dance options, hockey, soccer, and football programs for kids.

*Today was mid 60s, sunny and beautiful! Snow in the winter but they are well prepared for it and it rarely interferes with events and activities.

* A larger LDS community (we're not LDS so I don't know specifics but there are lots of LDS people)

Come visit! I'll show you around. You'll LOVE it here!!!!!!

ETA: I had NO IDEA there were so many Anchorage/ Eagle River people here in the hive! (I also note that I should read all the replies before I reply. )

Edited by Tammi K

Where are those secular homeschoolers you speak of? I am in the valley and there is NADA on facebook, yahoogroups, or meetup. Maybe they're in hiding like me. :001_smile:

I saw a grizzly run across the road today and we we're having a discussion about the amount of moose poop in the yard diminishing in the last two months. It will pick up as the weather gets colder. Our neighborhood is a moose hang-out in the winter. Our gardens are ornamental. We haven't progressed to veggies yet. But, out neighbor has a huge garden. They did put up a fence to surround it. The growing season is short but long days (20 hours) mean lots of growth quickly. If the State Fair produce section is any indication, gardening is a huge success for many people.

Our house here is slightly smaller than our house in PA and was about the same price. It is twice the square footage of the house we had in Hawaii and was priced 50% under that. Not knowing where you currently live, I can't compare. But, it's not nearly as expensive as I was lead to believe it would be. Gas is pricier but not by too much. I heard horror stories about the price of milk. But, all the big box stores have milk for about $3.70/gallon. Costcos are convenient to both Eagle River and Anchorage and I find the prices reasonable. But, then, i'm here after living in hawaii so anything would seem cheaper by comparison.

I vote Alaska too! It fits your criteria perfectly. I am in Wasilla. There are many correspondence programs in our area (Matanuska Borough). Quite large hs'ing population, many Christian options and A LOT of activities for hs'ers. Housing tends to be a bit more affordable out this way. It's only (1 hour or so) to Anchorage, but we have several enough box stores that Anchorage trips aren't needed too often. I don't think you could go wrong wherever you live up here:) I lived in Eagle River for several years too, still love it.

I vote Alaska too! It fits your criteria perfectly. I am in Wasilla. There are many correspondence programs in our area (Matanuska Borough). Quite large hs'ing population, many Christian options and A LOT of activities for hs'ers. Housing tends to be a bit more affordable out this way. It's only (1 hour or so) to Anchorage, but we have several enough box stores that Anchorage trips aren't needed too often. I don't think you could go wrong wherever you live up here:) I lived in Eagle River for several years too, still love it.

Where are those secular homeschoolers you speak of? I am in the valley and there is NADA on facebook, yahoogroups, or meetup. Maybe they're in hiding like me. :001_smile:

Have you joined Alaskan Homeschoolers group on fb? There is quite the eclectic group on there. I do a bit of everything, just depends on what program I feel is a solid curricula for my kids :)

Chucki- Aren't you in ___ I have been eyeing The County for years! Gorgeous up there. I talked with one of the realtors in town, he gave me the impression that those of us from "away" weren't very welcome. :) Any truth to that?

We are in The County. It is a pretty big county. ;)

More and more people are moving in from away. So it is starting not to matter. Or maybe since everyone I socialize with is also from away, it just doesn't matter to me. ;)

Madison, WI is great though not small. I think you might enjoy a suburb like Mount Horeb.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WI-LDS-HS/

Also, there is a cooperative community called Troy that has an ENORMOUS garden, organic...Community meals, eclectic beliefs, environmentally driven.

Edited by kerryfrank73

We are in The County. It is a pretty big county. ;)

More and more people are moving in from away. So it is starting not to matter. Or maybe since everyone I socialize with is also from away, it just doesn't matter to me. ;)

By "The County," do you mean this? :bigear: We have thought of moving north, but also wondered about the acceptance of outsiders, especially from NJ. :bigear:

We def. have smaller towns, not to far from small city settings.

We do have a fairly large hs population either in Broome County NY, our area(Susquehanna County PA or Scranton PA)

Both secular and religious and the mixing of both

We do get cool weather in 2 of the seasons but it can get hot in the summer.

Lots of museums, events, camps, zoos, farms and fairs around here.

I am in Susquehanna County PA and would def. recoomend it if work was not an issue for you.

Madison, WI is great though not small. I think you might enjoy a suburb like Mount Horeb.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WI-LDS-HS/

Also, there is a cooperative community called Troy that has an ENORMOUS garden, organic...Community meals, eclectic beliefs, environmentally driven.

Except we regularly get above 80 in the summer. I suspect OP would find it too warm for her liking here.

Maybe further north like Green Bay.

By "The County," do you mean this? :bigear: We have thought of moving north, but also wondered about the acceptance of outsiders, especially from NJ. :bigear:

Aye. That would be The County.

Llike I said, it is a pretty big place. I could (and wouldn't mind doing) tell you more about where I live specifically via PM.

well - San Antonio is OUT! It is beautiful with a gorgeous temple and large lds population, great homeschooling communities, low cost of living but it is HOT!!!!!

I just have to recommend my favorite state and city - we have moved around and traveled a lot and I think Tennessee is the most beautiful state in the nation. I really love Nashville and the surrounding suburbs and if you like the outdoors more then areas around Knoxville are stunning!!