Menu

Naming Help

Best Boy Name  

1. 1. Best Boy Name

• Emerson
    • Dexter
    • Benjamin
    • Cooper

I am due any date with a boy....and we have little idea on what to name him. I have a list a mile long, and DH has a few names but we can't agree. Here are the 4 names that were on both lists. Can you help us choose? If it matters, our daughter is Ava, son is Harrison and our last name begins with R.

Thanks for voting!

My reasoning:

I know 2 girls named Emerson.

Dexter is a killer.

I liked Cooper too but my older kids pointed out the obvious rhyming/teasing possibilities. So Benjamin wins.

:iagree: Emerson has definitely moved into the realm of more common for girls than boys. Dexter will have some negative connotations due to the TV show. My friend's 7 year old Cooper has been introduced to the 'joy' of rhyming nicknames on the playground. Benjamin is common, but is one of those names that is always high on the top names list, so falls into the category of classic rather than trendy.

:iagree: Emerson has definitely moved into the realm of more common for girls than boys. Dexter will have some negative connotations due to the TV show. My friend's 7 year old Cooper has been introduced to the 'joy' of rhyming nicknames on the playground. Benjamin is common, but is one of those names that is always high on the top names list, so falls into the category of classic rather than trendy.

:iagree:

I voted for Ben, just because of that group it's the one I prefer.

However, I think "Ava, Harrison, and Cooper" sounds like it would be a good set. But I hate Cooper. And it easily rhymes with things.

I think you should have both your lists handy, including ones you don't agree on, and see which one suits him when he comes out. One might make perfect sense, even if it's on another's list.

Good luck! HAve a great baby!:D

If it makes any difference, I know a girl named Emerson, so I think of it as a girl name.

This was huge for me when naming my own ds. I grew up with a boy/girl name and hated that. We chose Cameron for my son 14 years ago, and when someone pointed out that it was the "new" girl name, we changed it two days before my ds was born. His name will never be mistaken for a girl. I still love the boy name Cameron, but I wanted it to be obvious from his name that he was a boy.

I voted for Cooper, but I also like Benjamin.

Benjamin is a great name! We would have used it, but it doesn't go well with our last name. It fits nicely with the other sibling names you listed.

Emerson is nice, but I've only heard it used for girls.

I used to like Cooper, but the kids (and sometmines adults) are really great at rhyming it with unsavory words.

I don't really like Dexter, not because of the serial killer show, but because of Dexter's Laboratory that my kids sometimes watch. I can't stand that show. I like the rest of the names, but don't like Emerson with Harrison. I voted for Benjamin because I think it goes better with Ava and Harrison than Cooper does.

I have a friend with kids named Griffin, Tobin & Peter, and I always thought Peter sounded out of place with Griffin & Tobin.

I like Benjamin best of those names. It gets the "classic" name vote.

My dd is convinced Cooper is the perfect name for an English Bulldog. I can also see it being rhymed in terribly mean ways. I also know several Emersons that are girls. And I've never really liked Dexter - probably because of the old Dexter's Laboratory show and the new Dexter serial killer show. Benjamin is a good name.

Wow, Benjamin is getting tons of love! It is a strong classic name, so we don't feel like we can go wrong with that. That's probably where we'll end up with the least amount of bickering.

I know Dexter is a serial killer, but I don't worry about that too much because he won't always be. We tend to associate names with different things, but those associations change along the way. I've never seen the show, but DH has and still doesn't mind using the name. Still thinking on that.

Hmmm....Hadn't thought of the Cooper rhyming thing....

I didn't realize Emerson was such a girls name! That's something to consider as well.

Thanks for all the input!

I voted for Benjamin, but I'm a little biased, as that's my middle son's name, and I can't imagine life without our little Ben! It's a great name that works well for a little guy, a big boy, or an adult. (And Benjamin from the Bible is the much-beloved younger brother, which was perfect for our second son.)

I voted Benjamin. I actually don't know any kids named Benjamin and its a classic name.

I hate the name Cooper. I'm not sure why.

Agree on Emerson being too female-y nowadays (I don't care for unisex names).

I don't know about a Dexter on tv. It's okay, but not as good as Benjamin.

Benjamin is a great name! We would have used it, but it doesn't go well with our last name. It fits nicely with the other sibling names you listed.

Emerson is nice, but I've only heard it used for girls.

I used to like Cooper, but the kids (and sometmines adults) are really great at rhyming it with unsavory words.

:iagree: Emerson is a family name on our side (grandma's maiden name) but I've seen it used for girls so I'd only use it as a middle name.

I love the name Benjamin but my DH doesn't. I'd go with Ben or take a fresh look at the names on your Dh's list.

I say wait till he comes and stare at him a while. Then decide :D

We had names but my friend named all hers after they were born.

We had a short list but stared at our newest baby until she "told" us her name. The other names just feel off thinking about it now!

Cooper = trendy

Emerson = trendy and unisex

Dexter = a little nerdy...and since we are farmer, it is also the name of the kind of beef cattle we raise

Benjamin = classic and beautiful. It will never go out of style. Yes...it is common. But no one will wonder if he's a boy or girl, and no one will be able to immediately guess what decade he was born in.