Menu

3 calls so far today!

I got a a recorded message call about lowering the rate on my credit card once. I pressed the number to talk to a representative and told the person I didn't have a credit card and I was concerned that someone had stolen my identity, and what do you know, she hung up on me! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

I got a a recorded message call about lowering the rate on my credit card once. I pressed the number to talk to a representative and told the person I didn't have a credit card and I was concerned that someone had stolen my identity, and what do you know, she hung up on me! :tongue_smilie:

Lol, this reminds me about the ones I kept getting about 'the warranty on your vehicle may have expired'. I went through the procedure to talk to them, went through as if I were going to get it, then told him I had a 19-year-old vehicle with 350k miles on it (truth). What do you know, he cussed me out and hung up :D

We have a new phone number since we just moved, but I registered it 3 weeks before we moved on the National Do Not Call list. I'm not sure why I'm getting these calls.

In the past 10 days, I have received all of the above calls ... PLUS ... calls from a collection agency for 3 different people. :confused:

You may file a complaint if you received an unwanted call after your number was on the National Registry for 31 days.

It seems like it has been over a month since I originally registered my phone number, but I don't know the date. I'll wait a little longer and then start complaining.

We have a new phone number since we just moved, but I registered it 3 weeks before we moved on the National Do Not Call list. I'm not sure why I'm getting these calls.

In the past 10 days, I have received all of the above calls ... PLUS ... calls from a collection agency for 3 different people. :confused:

Being on the do not call list doesn't stop these particular scams. Pressing the "right" button on the phone doesn't stop these people. The best you can do is come here and complain.

Actually, I just don't answer the phone anymore. People can leave a message if they need me.

Some guy must have a phone number almost the same as my work number, because I keep getting his calls at all hours. "I'm calling about the car you've advertised in the classifieds." "Dude, call me, they got Marlon. (At 2am.)" Lots of bill collection calls, and even some that sound like employment opportunities. I have no idea who this guy is (though I sure know a lot about him).

And people wonder why I normally let my calls go to voice mail.

This morning, I got a voice mail saying "This is for attorney ___ [female, not the same as the above dude.] This is ___ from the county coronor's office. I made that CD for you, bla bla bla, but ya know, I gotta tell ya, I keep getting this weird message on your voice mail, and it goes to some different phone number (my work calls roll to my cell). You're an attorney, you should probably sue them. So anyway come on over and pick up that CD."

I hope she eventually got that CD she needed from the coroner.

This morning, I got a voice mail saying "This is for attorney ___ [female, not the same as the above dude.] This is ___ from the county coronor's office. I made that CD for you, bla bla bla, but ya know, I gotta tell ya, I keep getting this weird message on your voice mail, and it goes to some different phone number (my work calls roll to my cell). You're an attorney, you should probably sue them. So anyway come on over and pick up that CD."

I hope she eventually got that CD she needed from the coroner.

:lol:

Have you gotten the one where they ask you to hold for a very important message and give you a "wait time"???

Yeah, right!! I'm going to sit on hold for a sales call!!

We cancelled our land line two weeks ago to save money. Oh, the joy of not having telemarketers. I told me dh that if he gave out his cell number and started getting sales calls again, he's have to get a new number and go through the hassle of changing it with family/friends. He's the one who always gives a real number to political parties. GRRRrrr!!!!

They think I'm gullible enough to believe they've detected a problem with my computer :lol:

Dh loves this one as they always say it is a problem w/ Microsoft/Windows which we don't use. However, the people in Nigeria or such seem to have a hard time understanding that and he likes to drag them along and confuse them.

We switched our phone service to Ooma a couple months ago and I am able to blacklist phone numbers. Then I can choose how the call is routed, set it for voicemail, continuous ring, number disconnected, or a call blocked message. Since most of the calls we get are robocalls I have it set call blocked message. At first I was concerned about not sending them to voicemail just in case it was important, but we are getting daily political calls that drive me nuts. Besides, anyone that really needs to get a hold of us has our cell phone numbers.

Edited by PhunandFonics
random apostrophe... how did that happen?

Our local ones lately have all been for "the person who handles the natural gas account for the family"...........um, if they don't know the name on the account, they likely aren't our gas company calling.

We also get a lot of the calls to consolidate our credit card debt.......um, don't have any.........or to lower our mortgage rate.......um, don't have a mortgage either.

Dh loves this one as they always say it is a problem w/ Microsoft/Windows which we don't use. However, the people in Nigeria or such seem to have a hard time understanding that and he likes to drag them along and confuse them.

Ha ha ha these people called me one night when I was reeeeaaaalllllllly bored. My husband was having fits because I strung them along for 45 minutes asking incredibly stupid questions about a (fake) computer, acting like I was allllllmost on the verge of giving them the key information.

Terrible of me, but it was 45 minutes that they weren't hassling anyone else.

The worst for us was awhile (about 6-8 months) when we were apparently on some automated call list for a fax machine. Of course, the calls were always at 2 or 3 a.m. I'd pick up because we have two sets of elderly parents for one thing.... The fax machine would screech. Since the fax couldn't get through, it would then re-try the call every 20 minutes for the next two hours. It would repeat weekly. There was no way to call back the # (doing a dial-back just called the fax machine), etc.... We complained a lot to our phone company, who said they couldn't do anything about it. It eventually stopped, but I don't know why. I was about over the edge on that one. Grrrrrrrr.

That drives me nuts. We finally just leave our home phone unplugged, but then cell #'s were released and I get them on there now. I've learned to just not answer it unless I recognize the #. I figure if they really need to talk to me they will either leave a message or call back. Just annoying though! Really.

Argh. We just ditched our land line and switched our home phone # to my cell, and now I'm thinking :banghead::cursing::rant: because those stupid ceaseless calls eat up my low-minute-plan minutes that I thought I was sooooo smart getting.

I've started, when I get one, hanging up and hitting that number and sending a text message (texts are free on my plan) saying not to call this number as it is on the national do not call registry, but I'm sure that's probably making someone on the other end go, "flag this one - call every 20 minutes!!"

The worst for us was awhile (about 6-8 months) when we were apparently on some automated call list for a fax machine. Of course, the calls were always at 2 or 3 a.m. I'd pick up because we have two sets of elderly parents for one thing.... The fax machine would screech. Since the fax couldn't get through, it would then re-try the call every 20 minutes for the next two hours. It would repeat weekly. There was no way to call back the # (doing a dial-back just called the fax machine), etc.... We complained a lot to our phone company, who said they couldn't do anything about it. It eventually stopped, but I don't know why. I was about over the edge on that one. Grrrrrrrr.

There are a few things you can do: (this happens at my work sometimes, faxes coming to our phone line)

If this happens again, and you have the number it came from, send them a fax back and ask them in a written note, to remove you from the list. A lot of businesses have fax machines and if you have a friend who works at one, I am sure they would send a fax for you. Let them know the time of day an your number.

Several computer programs will also send a fax. You can type a note, and send it via your computer.

If you have call forwarding, you can forward the call to a fax machine to find out what they are faxing. If there is a phone number on the fax, you can then call to straighten it out.

We got several calls from ladies seemingly from India asking for my SS#. Of course I hung up. I didn't expect anything to come of this, but several days later my computer access to my bank account was locked. I called the bank and they said there was no problem. But my access was still blocked, after they reset it 3 times.

It turns out there WAS a problem-- there had been fraud on the account-- someone had gotten onto it and changed our address-- and the bank was trying to contact me, but the general bank people had no contact with their fraud department people and so they didn't know! It took a while to straighten out and since we were moving out of state during this time it was very inconvenient.

The ladies from India were actually employed by Wells Fargo Bank to contact me, make sure it was me, and tell me what was going on!

That was one factor in our switching banks!:D

So, long story to say sometimes the unusual calls really are something important.