Menu

Be honest-does this make me a snob?

I've been thinking of joining our local co-op, not for the weekly days, but for the field trips only. It would work great for us, my K'er loves field trips, especially with other kids. I already know some people in the co-op, so it wouldn't be too socially awkward for me.

However....their newsletter is loaded with misused apostrophes. Such as "sign up for field trip's", "snack's", etc. I know that I am picky and it is a pet peeve of mine and I do make grammar errors, but I think that consistent apostrophe errors like that make them look like bumbling homeschooling idiots in their newsletter.

(There. I said it.)

And that's why I can't bring myself to join. Consistent apostrophe errors in the newsletters that go out to all. Do I want to do fun field trips with my kids with people who don't know the difference between snacks and snack's? :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Yeah, that's sorta snobby. :D

Careful what you criticize to them, tho, or you will be asked to do it!

This was one of my first "words of wisdom" given to me when I first became a priest's wife--"Never criticize the flowers unless you want to be asked to arrange them." It has served me well. :001_smile:

Bite the bullet and join.

Maybe you can find a passive-agressive way of sneaking appropriate apostrophe usage into the conversation some time in the future...

I've been thinking of joining our local co-op, not for the weekly days, but for the field trips only. It would work great for us, my K'er loves field trips, especially with other kids. I already know some people in the co-op, so it wouldn't be too socially awkward for me.

However....their newsletter is loaded with misused apostrophes. Such as "sign up for field trip's", "snack's", etc. I know that I am picky and it is a pet peeve of mine and I do make grammar errors, but I think that consistent apostrophe errors like that make them look like bumbling homeschooling idiots in their newsletter.

(There. I said it.)

And that's why I can't bring myself to join. Consistent apostrophe errors in the newsletters that go out to all. Do I want to do fun field trips with my kids with people who don't know the difference between snacks and snack's? :tongue_smilie:

Another snob. BUT, I'm not a fan of anything I've seen at co-ops---especially not the mama drama. I like small field trips with families I know. We did some of the co-op field trips early in our homeschooling, and we were embarrassed at the lack of manners and respect (not just from the kids, from the moms too). Not saying that would be true of the group you are considering, but it is true of the group we tried.

Edited by shanvan

LOL, if it does, it makes me one too. I'm sensitive to homeschoolers that make the rest of us look bad and don't want to be associated with them.

:iagree:

I find myself justifying my choice to homeschool to my family because they saw my step-mom bumble it up so spectacularly with my siblings. I feel like I have to add a clause that says, "no I WON'T screw it up like she did" because that's the only homeschool experience that any of my family has been privy to.

As for the original post, that would bug me too but I would still join. Use them for what they have to offer and leave the rest at the door. You're not there to make friends or, heaven forbid take over the newsletter, you're there to take advantage of a service for your child.

I agree with Mrs. Mungo. Join and offer to help with the newsletter. Those errors would bother me, too.

If these people don't know you, I'm not sure I'd make my first day of joining them a "here, let me correct you" day. The best way to pet a chicken without ruffling feathers is to gain some trust first.

If these people don't know you, I'm not sure I'd make my first day of joining them a "here, let me correct you" day. The best way to pet a chicken without ruffling feathers is to gain some trust first.

Good advice.

I said that I would offer to do the newsletter, but I would not do that in a spirit of criticism. I would do it with a glad heart. I would say, "hey, I have done lots of newsletters before, can I help you out with that?" :)

That would totally grate on me. I look around at the proud displays of ignorance, and wear my snob hat proudly, though.

I un-joined a Freecycle group BECAUSE...EVERY MESSAGE...FROM THE LEADER IS...ALL CAPS AND...FULL OF MISPLACED ELLIPSES!!!!!

And it made me freakin' nuts.

That would bug me too. I don't care much about those kinds of errors on the internet because I think they are often just typing errors or people are just giving a quick reply. I probably make all kinds of grammar errors on here! Newsletters should be edited though and it would bug me if it was a consistent error! I know a homeschool mom who uses "your" every single time when she really means "you're". It drives me crazy because I think it makes homeschool parents look bad.

You and me both, honey.

I don't mind a few misused apostrophes or grammatical errors in, say, a forum post... but newsletters and advertisements should be proof-read. If you're not up on your grammar and usage, have someone check it over before you send it out.

A local charter school (whose tagline is "Results Matter") had this line at the bottom of their advertisement in the newspaper- "It's not to late to join"

Really? You can't even use to, too, two correctly and you want to teach my child? LOL! I hope heads are rolling over that one.

My dd goes to a different charter school, and last spring they had a new person doing their newsletters. Started being riddled with apostrophe issues. I brought it to their attention and it was fixed... I don't mind so much when people admit it is important, but I hate it when teachers act like saying "good" when you mean "well" doesn't matter.

It bothers me too. That was probably obvious, I guess?

I would still join, but I would probably offer to do the newsletter. I might add a "grammar fact of the day" feature to the newsletter. :P

:iagree: The thing is the newsletter is probably done by one volunteer who has no editing or apostrophe skills. It probably doesn't reflect on the entire co-op. And if you want to "fix" something a volunteer is doing, the option is to volunteer to do it.

I'm guessing the newsletter is written by a volunteer mom who is stepping up to do a thankless job that requires way more time than anyone realizes. And she's probably doing it while juggling toddlers, making dinner, watching the crazy neighbor's kid, etc. She may have had a horrible education herself, for any number of reasons, or she may have an diagnosed learning disability.

Unless you are seriously in a position to do the job yourself, let it go. It's *one person*. And chances are you have an issue or two yourself. ;-) We none of us are perfect.

I would still join, but I would probably offer to do the newsletter. I might add a "grammar fact of the day" feature to the newsletter. :P

(There. I said it.)

Yep, it kinda does. You're going to discount an entire group of people because Ms. Clara can't use an apostrophe correctly? I can see not signing up for her Editing 101 class, but I don't see how Ms. Clara would ruin your son's trip to the science center.

If you don't WANT to join a co-op, you don't need a reason, but this seems like a kind of flakey reason for missing out on discounted tickets to field trips.

I know grammar isn't my strong suit. I'm a Math gal and haven't had to teach the kids much grammar(thus I haven't brushed up my skills very much yet). I also know from helping to run a co-op that they are likely trying to squeeze it in with everything else they have to do because the ones running it are no less busy than any other hs mom. Perhaps I'm a horrible person but making sure the grammar is perfect on something I'm doing for free to serve other people is not high on my list of priorities.

Maybe some of the co-op kids who are still learning grammar are the ones producing the newsletter?!?

Then they need an editor. They need their teacher of that class to do her/his job.

There can be excuse after excuse, but you are who you represent yourself to be. If writing isn't your strong point, don't be the voice of your group. If you shrug off the details, don't expect people to think you're up to the task. It's that simple.

Then they need an editor. They need their teacher of that class to do her/his job.

There can be excuse after excuse, but you are who you represent yourself to be. If writing isn't your strong point, don't be the voice of your group. If you shrug off the details, don't expect people to think you're up to the task. It's that simple.

Sorry, I agree. A newsletter going out to the public is how you're representing yourself. It's not the responsibility of just one person even if it's just one person doing it. If nobody has stepped up to say that it needs editing, then they are implicitly agreeing that it's an acceptable representation of their group. It's not a message board post, it's a published piece to tell others about the group.

Yep, it kinda does. You're going to discount an entire group of people because Ms. Clara can't use an apostrophe correctly? I can see not signing up for her Editing 101 class, but I don't see how Ms. Clara would ruin your son's trip to the science center.

If you don't WANT to join a co-op, you don't need a reason, but this seems like a kind of flakey reason for missing out on discounted tickets to field trips.

And I've got to say, he unabashed snobbishness of some people always throws me.

This is a volunteer who is probably at least as busy as you are. This is the kind of attitude that gives me so much anxiety about so many things. I think there are a lot of unrealistic & unfair (& really, unkind) expectations of perfection.

I don't sign up for writing tasks because of this reason. It isn't worth the time to me. But I wouldn't dismiss the whole group because of the newsletter which is likely done by one person who is overworked. Few people volunteer to help while lots of people have criticism.

I know grammar isn't my strong suit. I'm a Math gal and haven't had to teach the kids much grammar(thus I haven't brushed up my skills very much yet). I also know from helping to run a co-op that they are likely trying to squeeze it in with everything else they have to do because the ones running it are no less busy than any other hs mom. Perhaps I'm a horrible person but making sure the grammar is perfect on something I'm doing for free to serve other people is not high on my list of priorities.

It would make me crazy too, but I'd join.

Pretty much what I'm going to do. And yes, I do know I have issues. Math is my issue, as well as more complicated grammar mistakes. And struggling with my attitude towards others...as you can see from this question! ;)

I on wow that we are all busy, overrun with kid adhousehold duties. I absolutely see that. I guess I will settle for a bunch of little kitties killed by misused apostrophes. :D

This is a volunteer who is probably at least as busy as you are. This is the kind of attitude that gives me so much anxiety about so many things. I think there are a lot of unrealistic & unfair (& really, unkind) expectations of perfection.

I think saying that people expect *perfection* is an unfair statement. I'm sorry, but using an apostrophe in EVERY plural word is *extremely* incorrect. It's not a slight imperfection.

I don't sign up for writing tasks because of this reason. It isn't worth the time to me. But I wouldn't dismiss the whole group because of the newsletter which is likely done by one person who is overworked. Few people volunteer to help while lots of people have criticism.

I do agree with you. If you think you can do a better job, then you should volunteer. That's why I have so many volunteer jobs. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I think saying that people expect *perfection* is an unfair statement. I'm sorry, but using an apostrophe in EVERY plural word is *extremely* incorrect. It's not a slight imperfection.

I do agree with you. If you think you can do a better job, then you should volunteer. That's why I have so many volunteer jobs. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I can't quote properly on my phone. To your first comment. Yes, I agree. I cringe inside when I see mistakes in grammar. I didn't mean perfection specifically here, I meant as a general statement of people expecting perfection and when they don't see it it becomes more of an issue than he specific mistake. Like, if the newsletter has grammatical errors, the coop as a whole must be run by idiots. Sorry, its very hard to explain on my phone, I can only patiently correct so many words - pretty soon i'll be speaking like a cave man.

I can't quote properly on my phone. To your first comment. Yes, I agree. I cringe inside when I see mistakes in grammar. I didn't mean perfection specifically here, I meant as a general statement of people expecting perfection and when they don't see it it becomes more of an issue than he specific mistake. Like, if the newsletter has grammatical errors, the coop as a whole must be run by idiots. Sorry, its very hard to explain on my phone, I can only patiently correct so many words - pretty soon i'll be speaking like a cave man.

LOL, I understand about the phone issue.

And, I do agree with your point here to a degree. However, I still think the teachers and leaders in the co-op should realize that something like a newsletter reflects upon the group as a whole. Therefore, it should be a priority. That's just how I see it.

And I've got to say, he unabashed snobbishness of some people always throws me.

Expecting educators to be educated isn't snobbish. I walked out of the school here when they misspelled 'their' on the giant posters of the school goals. Yeah. That's not going to inspire confidence.

Grammar isn't an unrealistic or unfair expectation of perfection. We write to be understood. Don't do it if you can't pass the 3rd grade. Don't educate my child if you can't pass the 3rd grade, either.

LOL, I understand about the phone issue.

And, I do agree with your point here to a degree. However, I still think the teachers and leaders in the co-op should realize that something like a newsletter reflects upon the group as a whole. Therefore, it should be a priority. That's just how I see it.

I agree with you, too. I think that some homeschooling parents have a hard time making the transition from 'mom/dad teaching at home' to something more in the arena of professional, which a coop ( especially one that recruits from the public & publishes a newsletter) would be IMO.

On a separate but related note, my family got a letter from our local public school board in regard to free lunches (we have to register with the school board in my state and so we are on their mailing list). It was addressed as follows:

To the parent's of Duval County Public School Student

Really goes a long way to inspire confidence in the county schools, does it not???

Expecting educators to be educated isn't snobbish. I walked out of the school here when they misspelled 'their' on the giant posters of the school goals. Yeah. That's not going to inspire confidence.

Grammar isn't an unrealistic or unfair expectation of perfection. We write to be understood. Don't do it if you can't pass the 3rd grade. Don't educate my child if you can't pass the 3rd grade, either.

Don't worry, I would dare try to teach your children anything. I have no desire to put myself in a position of being judged so harshly overall for one of my flaws.

I think it does not meet the bar as a reason not to join. The poor soul who is volunteering to do the newsletter makes grammar/mechanics errors. When you join, you could ask if they need help with the newsletter as that kind of thing is a passion of yours. Otherwise, keep your thoughts to yourself. It's really not worth it.

It would bother me. However, if you are solely interested in the field trips I would join anyway. Maybe in a few months you could mention how much you love editing. :001_smile:

I downloaded a free Kindle book which was self-published, and obviously never edited. As excited as I was about the topic, I could not get past the first 2 pages with all the glaring grammar errors. :glare: It was awful! I would try to focus on what the author was saying, but it would be quickly overtaken by thoughts of, "doesn't this guy know what a comma is?" :lol:

That would totally grate on me. I look around at the proud displays of ignorance, and wear my snob hat proudly, though.

I un-joined a Freecycle group BECAUSE...EVERY MESSAGE...FROM THE LEADER IS...ALL CAPS AND...FULL OF MISPLACED ELLIPSES!!!!!

And it made me freakin' nuts.

I hear you on that one. Most of the communication from by son's gym IS IN ALL CAPS!!!! DRIVES ME BONKERS!!!! PLEASE STOP!!!

I am enrolled through an umbrella school in our area and was considering switching to another - but couldn't get past the fact that they spelled "kindergarten" wrong on the advertising materials. Do I really want someone who can't spell the grade to be overseeing us in it?

Oh, I like that!! It shouldn't happen, but it is possible the person doing the newsletter had dyslexia or something, a very young child, and so hasn't had a chance to relearn grammar yet? Perhaps if she didn't do the newsletter, there would be no newsletter?

You are a smart cookie, Mrs Mungo.

LOL, if it does, it makes me one too. I'm sensitive to homeschoolers that make the rest of us look bad and don't want to be associated with them.

This is so me. I visited our local co-op once. ONCE. I saw kids (school-aged kids) sucking pacifiers, wearing mismatched jammies, and having unbrushed hair. Some of the things that the co-op leader told us made us have one of those "What are we getting into" moments. I have been assured by a friend that it is different, but I can't bring myself to join.

Oh, I like that!! It shouldn't happen, but it is possible the person doing the newsletter had dyslexia or something, a very young child, and so hasn't had a chance to relearn grammar yet? Perhaps if she didn't do the newsletter, there would be no newsletter?

You are a smart cookie, Mrs Mungo.

I've been thinking about that and the the possibility that he/she was just really tired. I know I've typed some very odd things I wouldn't ever dream I would write here on these boards when I'm really tired---like using the word hear for here.