Menu

Do you use your DVD player?

We have not used our DVD player in months. We rent videos on amazon.com and watch them through the Roku. The DVDs we own I usually watch on the computer (like when the power went out recently).

I was at the library the other day and took out 3 DVDS. So I blew the dust off the DVD player and put in the first DVD. It skipped and stopped. Took it out, cleaned it, same thing. In 30 seconds I had rented the movie on amazon.com for $1.99 for the next 48 hours.

Not a bad deal considering I was always returning DVDs late and at a $1/day late fee it adds up fast.

I'm unplugging the DVD player. Thankfully I only paid about $25 for it about 18 months ago. Now I think I know why they were so inexpensive.

Do you still use your DVD player?

Yes we use our dvd player quite often. We have found that not many of the TV programs are family-friendly(for us) and we also have a love of BBC series such as Doctor Who, MI5(for the adults), Top Gear, .... We have been considering cancelling the cable and just using the dvd.

We use ours every day. Every evening, we share an episode of the current series on our watch list from Netflix. We probably wold do more direct streaming but we live far enough from the main that internet is slow and not unlimited. Yuck. So, for us, DVD or nuthin'.

We usually use ours daily. We don't do Netflix or Roku or whatever it was you said. We never rent movies, we always get them from the library. We get several a week. It is frustrating when the DVD player (at least ours) seems way too overly sensitive and often says it can't play the disc. :glare: But, that's to be expected from all the people that borrow those DVD's I guess.

Yes, we use our DVD player because we have Netflix and own many movies. We also have an excellent library system; however, I have to say that most of the movies from the library are in horrible condition. People have ZERO respect for things these days. I mean, a library DVD should not look like it has had soda, snot, and a set of car keys rubbed on it. Now that I think about it though, the educational DVDs and documentaries are usually fine. :tongue_smilie:

Technically yes, but our DVD player is our xbox360. We use it to watch all our movies though, we don't stream often just because most of the time we are watching kid movies we already own. We will rent and stream from the Apple store onto the Apple tv on occasion as well.

Yes, we don't stream anything because we are too cheap to pay for it :lol:

This is us. $1.99-$4.99 a pop adds up, especially for tv shows. We use the library and the local video store (6 movies for $5 for 5 days.)

We got rid of Netflix and Hulu too because it just led to extra screen time.

My kids watched pieces of the LOTR documentaries tonight on it, because they were in disagreement over some minor aspect of filming. Eta: this proves they have a lot of me in them and are not dh clones. :tongue_smilie:

But, yes, we use our DVD player for DVDs and Netflix streaming.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

You may not realize this but America is unusual in having unlimited downloads. We are restricted quite tightly in NZ, so streaming eats up our plan quickly.

DVDs are key. But we ALWAYS have them polish them when we rent them at the video store. And we don't ever bother with the kids section at the library. Adult section is usually ok.

Ruth in NZ

Every day and twice on Sunday :)

Seriously though, we use ours all.the.time. We have a blu-ray player. We are a heavy duty movie watching family and we have quite a collection of owned movies (500+). We have many, many old movies. We watch at least one movie a night as a family. We watch ZERO tv. (yes, really).

We do have netflix now as well, for streaming older tv shows (think Green Acres and Petticoat Junction; Get Smart and Lost in Space). No sure how much longer we will keep that though.

We probably replace our machine every few years since it gets so much use.

Yes. We have an excellent ILL program. We don't have cable. I've never heard of Roku. :confused:

My library stopped allowing audio/visual items for ILL. So if I want something "exotic," I'd have to find it elsewhere. That being said, my library has a very good selection of things.

I've still got VHS tapes, too. But I'm trying to replace them.

Maybe we are old fashioned, but we don't have a flat screen tv, or a wii or anything like that. We have Dish and my kids are allowed to watch tv, although we limit that to no more than 2 hours, and we use the DVD player often. We have kid pass for blockbusters and a pass for all movies. We went to get a DVD just a couple hours ago. Also, we get a lot of movies from the library. They have a large selection so fun.