Menu

Mom jeans sighting

Isn't the rule "if you're old enough to have worn it once, you're too old to wear it when it comes back in." I don't know if that's true or not, but I'll use it in this case. :001_smile: Those skinny girls don't have the mommy "pooch" that makes them look so awful.

Isn't the rule "if you're old enough to have worn it once, you're too old to wear it when it comes back in." I don't know if that's true or not, but I'll use it in this case. :001_smile: Those skinny girls don't have the mommy "pooch" that makes them look so awful.

I will also embrace that rule, if you don't mind. In addition to the extra yardage of skin that likes to flop south (thanks to full-sized twins incubated on my 5'0" frame), I have about an inch between my lowest rib and hip. Those high-waisted affairs literally button around my ribs. Ghastly.

Plus, I'm pretty sure they lead directly to shoulder pads. {shudder}

I just hope the giant frames aren't coming back into style.

http://www.retro-spectacles.com/1980s_style

Giant sunglass frames have been back for awhile now. Years.

And yes, those high-wasted shorts are definitely back. We've hit a few amusement parks this summer and I have seen them on a lot of young, stylish looking girls.

You know what's also back? Doc Martens! So, I wore Docs the first time around, am I too old to wear them now? I saw a girl in a floral dress with Docs the other day and that just took me back.

I will take a "Mom Jeans" trend over the low-rise junk. (Does this mean I'll be able to find jeans that don't show my dd's underwonders soon?)

MyCrazyHouse - I have the same issues...only no twins to show for it. (3 dc birthed within 3.5 years of each other though, which I think must produce similar results...and one on the way which gives me some validation for my tummy...I am 18wks along, looking like 6mo:001_huh:.)

I haven't stopped wearing Doc Martens... Does that mean I'm back in style or just dated? Or, worse, some old gal trying to look hip?

3blessingmom - my theory is as follows:

The first time, it takes for.ev.er. to finally fit into the maternity clothes. The second time, it feels like you wear them forever. The third (and probably subsequent times), you tinkle on the stick and can't re-button your pants while you wait for the lines to show. ;)

Um, okay, so you're telling me that I am totally out of fashion, I guess.

Except that her glasses are completely clear so they don't look like sunglasses to me. I meant 1980s style regular glasses. Which I haven't seen at any eyeglass shop in large numbers for decades. I was at a shop yesterday and must have missed the Sally Jesse / Tootsie aisle.

And yes, those high-wasted shorts are definitely back. We've hit a few amusement parks this summer and I have seen them on a lot of young, stylish looking girls.

You know what's also back? Doc Martens! So, I wore Docs the first time around, am I too old to wear them now? I saw a girl in a floral dress with Docs the other day and that just took me back.

Yeah, but I think they are Jackie O and Sophia Loren type. No the big owl glasses frames. :tongue_smilie:

I love Doc Martens. I don't know if my Dd17 will allow me to wear them though. It just may be too much for her to take. I get that look. Like I'm just too OLD, and 40, for such a fashion statement. ;)

I haven't stopped wearing Doc Martens... Does that mean I'm back in style or just dated? Or, worse, some old gal trying to look hip?

The first time, it takes for.ev.er. to finally fit into the maternity clothes. The second time, it feels like you wear them forever. The third (and probably subsequent times), you tinkle on the stick and can't re-button your pants while you wait for the lines to show. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG so right!

I can hear the fashion police now:

OMG,I can't believe you are wearing low-rise jeans. They draw the eye to the widest part of your body! They show your underwear and/or butt cleavage! They make your legs look shorter! Do you own a full-length mirror???

And so it goes around again . . .

Yes. This is how it goes. :lol:

I would love for high waisted jeans to come back into style. I'm so tried of seeing butt cracks and muffin tops! For myself, with many pregnancies and a few c-sections, low waisted pants sit right at the mommy pouch and right above the scar area and either roll over (not attractive and very embarrassing) or have to be worn really low. I would like something that was high enough to hold in the sag.

:glare:....no way!! I will wear granny pull up pants first....GAH!

Ummmmmmm.... Why are those mom jeans? Because of the high waist? :blushing:

And, look at the length of the zipper. :lol: I hate the jeans now (or should I say not now?) that have a zipper like 1" in length.

I was looking at the picture when my oldest dd walked past me and I said, "Would you wear these?" I totally expected her to says, "Ew! No!" But she said, "Yeah. If they were the right kind." She tells me that, yes, these are in style now. I asked what they are called. She said "high waisted shorts". Who knew. :D

Well, I'm all for them coming back....I am sick of the butt cracks showing on girls (and women, for that matter). And, I don't include men in this because I've not seen this in males over the past few years (they tend to be the opposite with their plaid shorts high above their sagging jeans)....only females. :tongue_smilie:

I will take a "Mom Jeans" trend over the low-rise junk. (Does this mean I'll be able to find jeans that don't show my dd's underwonders soon?)

:iagree:I have short legs and a long torso, and any pants that don't come up to my waist just emphasize the short legs. My dd's have a similar build and finding pants that work for them is a nightmare.

I would love for high waisted jeans to come back into style. I'm so tried of seeing butt cracks and muffin tops! For myself, with many pregnancies and a few c-sections, low waisted pants sit right at the mommy pouch and right above the scar area and either roll over (not attractive and very embarrassing) or have to be worn really low. I would like something that was high enough to hold in the sag.

I think another problem is short tops + low waisted pants = exposed midriff.

I am tired of seeing people's underwear in general.

When I recently got new glasses they told me bigger frames are making a comeback. Not the huge ones, but bigger. Seems like people got tired of not being able to see well with those skinny frams.

I'd better go get some new glasses then before I'm forced to get giant plastic tortoiseshell glasses again. Yuck.

OOOOOO...it looks like she paired them with a onesie, too! Awesome!

You know, I was just looking at some pictures from high school where I was wearing one, and wondering when they would make a comeback. My mom said Donna Karan was crazy about them. I hated going to the bathroom in them.

All we need is more neon, and big bangs and crimped hair and I'll be as miserable as I was in the late 80s.

:hurray:

Yeah! My plot worked. It knew higher wastebands were destined to happen once I'd gotten rid of all my old mom jeans. If your in your forties and reasonably fashionable with a tendency towards hoarding and you want to re-start a fashion trend, just give away all the old clothes in that style which you no longer wear.

:lol::lol:

I'm not sure what to think about them. I have a few pairs of pretty spendy jeans, and I cannot afford to buy ones that are going to be out of style at some point!

I can hear the fashion police now:

OMG,I can't believe you are wearing low-rise jeans. They draw the eye to the widest part of your body! They show your underwear and/or butt cleavage! They make your legs look shorter! Do you own a full-length mirror???

And so it goes around again . . .

You are so right. I've been wondering when low-rise jeans would fall out of fashion.

This made me laugh fashion trends lately tend to favor those with a boyish shape. I have seen those things on people with no behind it looks cutesy and screams I am 17 but REALLY want to be noticed but then you see it on some one with a large behind and it heads towards hooker department...I should know because I tried on my cousins and lets just say it look more like a cover for my waist than my butt. Oh and wait till someone in those things bends over in front of you at a restaurant! Its like an appetite suppressant :ack2:

I have a tall butt and prefer mid-rise jeans.

And I've been on the search for the perfect pair of Docs for years. I'm 31yo and I don't think you can ever out-age an awesome pair of boots. I remember wearing a denim mini-skirt and a pair of 9-hole Docs to work when I was 16. Dang, I used to be HOT. :tongue_smilie: I would pair them with a knee length skirt now though...

Maybe Spanx will come out with a version for us moms?

I think another problem is short tops + low waisted pants = exposed midriff.

I am tired of seeing people's underwear in general.

Bye Bye Whale tales!

I still have my docs. One pair of black boots, and I have these cute green suede shoes. I will have to go dig them out of the back of my closet.

Yes, I think 80's style frames are back in. I noticed my fashionista friend in NYC had a pair a year or so ago, and since then I've seen a few on very hip people.

I don't think Docs ever really go out of style. They become more popular here and there but never really sink out of sight. They're classic.

I will also embrace that rule, if you don't mind. In addition to the extra yardage of skin that likes to flop south (thanks to full-sized twins incubated on my 5'0" frame), I have about an inch between my lowest rib and hip. Those high-waisted affairs literally button around my ribs. Ghastly.

LOL! Same problem - about a finger width between my bottom rib and my hip bones. I've always bought "boy" jeans because the "ladies" kind were choking my rib cage! I'm definitely not hour glass shape so the boy cuts are much more visually appealing on me. I hope they don't go out of style or I'll have to resort to wearing skirts and dresses all the time.

Edited by CynthiaOK

I still wear my Doc Martens too! I think it means I like comfortable shoes. :001_smile: (And I guess it also means that I don't care very much what's considered "in".)

And, look at the length of the zipper. :lol: I hate the jeans now (or should I say not now?) that have a zipper like 1" in length.

I was looking at the picture when my oldest dd walked past me and I said, "Would you wear these?" I totally expected her to says, "Ew! No!" But she said, "Yeah. If they were the right kind." She tells me that, yes, these are in style now. I asked what they are called. She said "high waisted shorts". Who knew. :D

Well, I'm all for them coming back....I am sick of the butt cracks showing on girls (and women, for that matter). And, I don't include men in this because I've not seen this in males over the past few years (they tend to be the opposite with their plaid shorts high above their sagging jeans)....only females. :tongue_smilie:

I saw one yesterday. He had his pants so low that I was just waiting for someone to bump into him and see the pants around his ankles. :lol:

One day I swear I'm going to be enough of a crotchety old woman to "accidentally" yank some kids pants down.

Yes, I think 80's style frames are back in. I noticed my fashionista friend in NYC had a pair a year or so ago, and since then I've seen a few on very hip people.

Why is it always at fashionable people are cool for going retro, and we mere mortals just look frumpy?

My husband who has a friend who is a computer geek who still has his old funky glasses. They look very old school. As in, old school, not as in fashionable. Does that make him cutting edge? Of course not. Just like some fat mom (or Obama and Romney) wearing mom jeans just looks ugly.