Menu

Jury Duty??

Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail about jury duty. And the date? September 10th! We'll be in the midst of homeschooling! I don't have a substitute teacher to call. What am I supposed to do?

I called the office about it. The guy was rude. He made me cry with his rudeness. :( He said that "homeschooling isn't a reason not to serve on a jury" and that "not having anyone to watch your kids isn't a reason to not serve on a jury." Then he said, "Think of it this way, if your dr told you had to have surgery that day, what would you do then?"

I'm very tempted to bring them along to the court date and when they ask me what I was thinking responding with, "Well, I was asked what I would do with my kids if I had to have surgery and had no one to watch them. This is what I would do: bring them along and pray for a nice nurse to sit with them while I'm in surgery. Now, can direct me to the nice nurse, please?"

I understand that they need people on the jury and I get that. I would be more than willing to do it if I had the easy ability to get someone to watch my kids/teach my kids. But the fact is, unless my husband (or one of our relatives) takes off work (which means not being paid, which equals causing financial hardship to someone), I have no one to watch my kids while I sit around in a courthouse all day waiting to see if they even WANT me on a jury. And what's worse is that while I might be able to scrape up someone for that one day, what am I to do if they want me for a week? A month?

I sent a letter that said the following with my form:

"I received a jury duty notice in the mail today, July 18, 2012. I cannot serve on a jury at this point in time. It would cause undue hardship. I am a stay-at-home mother to four children. I am their caregiver during the day and there is no one else to watch them for any sort of prolonged period of time. I am respectfully asking that you excuse me from jury duty."

What do you think? Will it get me excused?

I wrote a very similar letter. Telling them that I would be more than happy to do it in the summer. They sent back a notice of excuse :) They must have put me back into the system, because about 6 months latter I did the whole thing over again. If they ever get the timing right (and it is in the summer) I guess I will have to serve LOL

It is a civic duty to serve on a jury.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can be flexible for things like this. Now the babysitter part? Yeah, I would have to have DH stay home from work as we don't have a babysitter I can use all day. But how do people that have kids in school do it? Jury duty often starts at 8 and can run until 4 or 5, maybe later if you are seated for a trial. They work around it.

Our state does have a list of reasons you can be excused and one of them is a caretaker of a child under age 4. (Or 5?)

It depends on what state you are in. You can always schedule a time. I have a friend that schedules in August and the cases are always postponed due to vacation so she doesn't have to serve.

Summer would be more doable. If they asked me to serve over the summer, at least I could maybe find a teen who was willing to help me out for the day. Maybe they'll excuse me until next summer and then send me another notice?

It is a civic duty to serve on a jury.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can be flexible for things like this. Now the babysitter part? Yeah, I would have to have DH stay home from work as we don't have a babysitter I can use all day. But how do people that have kids in school do it? Jury duty often starts at 8 and can run until 4 or 5, maybe later if you are seated for a trial. They work around it.

Our state does have a list of reasons you can be excused and one of them is a caretaker of a child under age 4. (Or 5?)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind serving if I could figure out what to do with my kids. THEY are my primary responsibility.

Too bad your guy's a jerk. Our lady excused me twice then scheduled me for the week of July 4, when court is always cancelled. I am more than willing to serve in the summer, when my dh's around more.

Look up your laws for your state. I think in NJ, I would technically be excused with a child home under age 6. I'd focus on which part of the law applies to you in the letter. Good luck!!!

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a sitter. I don't really know anyone around here. And how many people are just sitting around waiting to watch my kids when I need it (during working hours)?

I don't care about the missing school part. That I can deal with. But finding a sitter is highly unlikely.

Luckily the person I dealt with was far more reasonable. I explained my situation and was immediately excused.

I'm hoping my letter will be received by a nicer person and they will excuse me at least until the summer. From the way he talked, I could get my time postponed to a later date without a problem.

Something that bugs me that he said when I was talking to him? "Interrupting me isn't going to get you where you want to be." It sounds like he was threatening. Like, if I'm "rude" (and I wasn't trying to interrupt, I thought he had finished his thought, apparently I was wrong) he can make me do whatever he wants.

I get that he deals with people trying to get out of it all the time, but seriously. I wasn't being rude to him, why did he have to have that attitude with me?

Oh, and he also interrupted ME when I tried to get clarification. I said, "I'm honestly confused-" and he interrupted with, "No, you're not confused. You're just trying to get out of it and aren't listening to me." I was trying to explain that I was confused as to why I wasn't being excused for lack of childcare for young children when I thought that was one of the excusable reasons but I never got that far.

I was not allowed to get out of jury duty due to homeschool or a newly adopted toddler. My husband had to take off work and stay with my kids. After much effort and rudeness on their part, I was allowed to reschedule. They had me scheduled to come about a month after my toddler's adoption.

I hope you have better luck.

Suzanne

I just posted my jury duty angst on Tuesday! I'm so sorry! No, your letter as written will not get you out of jury duty in my county/state. And if you bring your children, they will be taken into protective custody and you will get a contempt of court charge.

Luckily for me, I got a free day off yesterday (my jury date) because I called the previous evening and my number had been dismissed. Otherwise, I would have had to go down there and talk to the judge to be dismissed.

I'm so sorry! I know what you're going through because I put myself through 10 days of migraines and IBS flares worrying about jury duty yesterday. And miraculously, I'm all better when I didn't have to go.

I hope you can get out of it, but I'd plan on finding someone to watch the kiddos and having to go just in case.

This just came up in our house as well. I've been called THREE times in the last 9 years since I have turned 18. The first time I got lucky and they didn't need me. The 2nd and 3rd time I had an infant who was solely breastfed. The first time I used that excuse they said fine, I was excused. The most recent time they said that there would be a private room available and the time to pump but I would need proof in order to be excused. I asked my son's pediatrician for a note, cited the state law which says nursing mothers are automatically exempt when provided with proof and they excused me as well.

Any chance you have a nursing infant?

I feel for you though, a friend of mine was asked to serve on jury duty the same week they were to leave for vacation and was told it was not an excuse. No idea what happened after that.

Another thought is to bring in financial statements showing that you are unable to afford to hire a caregiver or for your dh to take off work for an extended period of time. However, I would presume if you have "extras" like cable, smart phones, etc they would argue that you do not need those and if you did not have them would otherwise be able to afford a babysitter.

Edited by Lisa3033

Dh has had to take off work in the past. Honey, once you get there, you can get out of jury duty! Tell them you can't judge another person. Tell them you've already formed an opinion. Heck, stoop really low and tell them you're a bigot. I know it's terrible, but so would be the extra strain of being seated on a jury.

They have bad timing with me too. They called me while pregnant with my first; I got excused with a note from my midwife because I was way too sick to serve. They called me right after my first was born. I was a stay-at-home mom, exclusively nursing. I was excused. They called me the day before my due date with my second; when they found out they didn't want me.

They haven't called me in over ten years now. I'd probably go now, though I'd prefer it if they'd wait a couple more years until my oldest is a little older.

Bleh! I went through the same thing this year and it was awful worrying over child care. Really, I think it'd be neat to serve once my kidlets are older, but right now it's a hardship if the trial is extended such as the one I was summoned for.

During the questioning, I told the truth, and the truth was that I couldn't be objective because I was already convinced the accused was guilty. During opening statements the defense tried to blame the victim's 4 year old sister for the broken ribs and internal damage that nearly killed the 10 month old baby, and I said that if that was the best the defense could do they should be embarrassed. Didn't take them long to scoot me out the door.

Jury duty is a hassle for almost everyone -- including, but not limited to, homeschoolers. No wants to take time off work or have to find someone to watch/school the kids. When I lived in Colorado I was called and was not excused because of homeschooling five kids (they told me homeschooling was specifically listed as a non-reason for exclusion). So I went and in fact was selected to serve on the jury; I sat on a three-day trial. It was one of the most educational experiences of my life. I didn't want to do it either, and tried to get out of it so I do understand, but it could work out well, too. Hope you find a solution that you can work with.

Well, here forcing a homeschooling mother to serve on a jury would cause her to break the law :001_smile:.

It is illegal, here, for anyone other than the child's parent or legal guardian to provide more than 49% of a child's education (when homeschooling). The law also states that we have to "do school" so many days of the year, certain subjects, keep attendance, etc... all while not allowing anyone else to lend more than 49% of that day's academics. Forcing me to serve on a jury would cause my children to be truant.

At least, that is certainly how I would have to play the hand if I were called right now.

Edited by AimeeM

I would love to do it. I really just don't have anyone to watch the kids. Someday my kids will be older and then I'll do it.

In some states, this decision is not up to the parent and homeschooling is not an excuse accepted for exclusion. Once I went into the room for questioning, I couldn't lie and answered the questions truthfully. I was the last person selected for the jury as a result.

I think the question related to surgery is a good one. What if you had to have surgery, and the only day was a school day (pretty common, ask me how I know :glare:) -- who will watch the kids? This doesn't have to be related to jury duty, just about planning ahead for unique situations. I'm sorry the man the OP dealt with was rude; I could fathom he gets tired of people trying to get out of service by thinking their situation is unique (when he probably answers the same questions every day).

In some states, this decision is not up to the parent and homeschooling is not an excuse accepted for exclusion. Once I went into the room for questioning, I couldn't lie and answered the questions truthfully. I was the last person selected for the jury as a result.

I think the question related to surgery is a good one. What if you had to have surgery, and the only day was a school day (pretty common, ask me how I know :glare:) -- who will watch the kids? This doesn't have to be related to jury duty, just about planning ahead for unique situations. I'm sorry the man the OP dealt with was rude; I could fathom he gets tired of people trying to get out of service by thinking their situation is unique (when he probably answers the same questions every day).

:iagree:

The last county we lived in was more then happy to call cps to come watch your kids if you couldn't find someone else, because it was not a valid excuse.

I sent a response to the jury duty notice stating that I homeschool my three children, and no one would be available to teach them while I was at jury duty.

I received a response back stating that I had been excused.

I did the same thing a few years ago. I was immediately excused.

I actually WOULD struggle to judge another person. I'm a christian and the Bible clearly says that we aren't to judge others. :(

You're not judging someone by the Bible's use of judging by serving on a jury. :confused: As a juror, you're looking at the information presented (supposedly facts), and making a decision based on what you've been given. You can avoid judging the person even if they are found guilty.

I'm trying to just accept the fact that I will have to go. I will, obviously, be honest. I hate lying. It's unacceptable and would eat me alive if I even tried it. I am just hoping that they either delay it to a more convenient time or let me out of it completely. And I if I do end up having to go on September 10th, then hopefully I don't get called to serve on a jury. Does anyone know what kinds of cases are civil cases? How long are they usually?

1. Take a week off of school. Start a week earlier to make up for it if you hate the idea of loosing a week. Seriously, home school is the most flexible option there is!

2. Have dh stay home if you need to, but you have 2 months to arrange a sitter. Many college students don't start back until the end of September, and countless other young adults are looking for work, so you have plenty of time to find, interview, try out and hire a sitter. Find a retired person. Find a new mom, home with just a baby. Ask around, sitters are available, you just have to look.

3. Yes, your note may get you excused....or maybe not. In our area, you have to show up the first day and ask the judge to be excused.

4. It is not easier for any other parent. Missing work, rearranging obligations like carpools, finding after school care, changing schedules...doesn't make it easier.

5. Take a breath, it is frustrating, but it is not the end of the world. Make a plan. Work it out and hope you don't need to use it.

I totally understand! I don't have anyone to watch DC and DH would have to take a day off to stay home with them. Fortunately, last time I was called, I was pregnant and close to my due date but was able to get excused with a doctor's note.

Hope everything works out for you, OP.

And I don't consider that a terrible argument. I'm pretty sure teachers get out of jury duty if called during the school year. I have never known a teacher in all my years at school who was away for jury duty.

Teaching in considered a job like anyother here. Teachers are called and do sit on Jurys during the school year here.

1. Take a week off of school. Start a week earlier to make up for it if you hate the idea of loosing a week. Seriously, home school is the most flexible option there is!

2. Have dh stay home if you need to, but you have 2 months to arrange a sitter. Many college students don't start back until the end of September, and countless other young adults are looking for work, so you have plenty of time to find, interview, try out and hire a sitter. Find a retired person. Find a new mom, home with just a baby. Ask around, sitters are available, you just have to look.

3. Yes, your note may get you excused....or maybe not. In our area, you have to show up the first day and ask the judge to be excused.

4. It is not easier for any other parent. Missing work, rearranging obligations like carpools, finding after school care, changing schedules...doesn't make it easier.

5. Take a breath, it is frustrating, but it is not the end of the world. Make a plan. Work it out and hope you don't need to use it.

:iagree:

First, it is important that you learn what your specific state law is and react to this as that law dictates. Different states have different rules.

I'm very tempted to bring them along to the court date and when they ask me what I was thinking responding with, "Well, I was asked what I would do with my kids if I had to have surgery and had no one to watch them. This is what I would do: bring them along and pray for a nice nurse to sit with them while I'm in surgery. Now, can direct me to the nice nurse, please?"

Don't do this! A judge has the instant ability to fine you or send you to jail for contempt of court (and he or she will be well aware of social services for your children).

While there maybe responses in this thread that tell of someone doing this and being successful, don't count on getting the clerk or judge who will back down. Finding jurors can't be horribly difficult and in my area, they've even sent police officers after folks who were no shows.

Teaching in considered a job like anyother here. Teachers are called and do sit on Jurys during the school year here.

Yes, I understand they do here as well.

I'm trying to take breaths. I'm sick over the idea of having to do this. I'm not a risk taker. I don't try new things. I try to blend in. Going on jury duty is new, unknown, and in the city (which I avoid). Not excited.

And by the way, I know that my situation is not unique. I know that people get called to jury duty everyday and that it's inconvenient for everyone. It doesn't change how I feel about it.

I have been summoned a few times but never went. While I was a CA resident, I got three summons. Twice I sent in the card to do it later. Then the third time, I was living overseas so I sent them a notice about that. THen in FL I asked for a extension. I got it and then WHen I called the number, I wasn't needed. So far, nothing since I have lived here for a year. I can probably serve without much problem now and definitely will be able to do so after the youngest gets a driver's license. But if they ask me about my education, they probably won't want me on a jury.

Yes, but a teacher can call in a substitute; as our laws sit now, I do not have that option. I have tons of available sitters, but none would be able to teach my school aged child, legally. Unless, of course, the state wants to pay for a certified teacher (the exception to our law) to come in and teach our child (I think the going rate for tutoring from a certified teacher here is around $40 an hour). Given, this is no big deal if we had a specific start/end date for the trial... say only a week, but as we know, there is no guarantee. A trial can go on for months. I cannot have my child take months, or even weekS, from school.

Just go there and act like a total spazz...:lol:

I'm kidding. I honestly think if you go there and tell them it's a major hardship because you are the sole childcare provider for them during the day and that they aren't in a school or daycare because they are homeschooled that that should be enough. Ideally they will accept the letter, but if not this should only be a one day thing.

I told them during juror questioning that it was a hardship and my mind would be on my kids, and I was still chosen. It didn't matter. They wanted someone without preconceived notions about certain types of people (homeless, cocaine users) and certain activities (involving drugs). That's where the questioning was directed at that point; they didn't really want to hear whether or not I'd have other things on my mind, too.

OP, the case I served was a civil case I believe. A homeless man had allegedly beat up a white collar cocaine user. The trial lasted three full days (including deliberations). I didn't judge the man himself in the least. We looked at the facts presented us and at what was required of us ("beyond a reasonable doubt") and found him not guilty on all but one minor charge. Whether he did it or not, I still don't know. It's kinda probable that he did, I suppose. But that's not what we, as a jury, were to look at. We had to work with the evidence presented to us and that's it.

Just go there and act like a total spazz...:lol:

I'm kidding. I honestly think if you go there and tell them it's a major hardship because you are the sole childcare provider for them during the day and that they aren't in a school or daycare because they are homeschooled that that should be enough. Ideally they will accept the letter, but if not this should only be a one day thing.

I'm hoping it's just a one day thing. I checked out the website they suggested I look at and it says that most jurors don't even get picked the day they are called. Plus the rude guy DID say that I probably wouldn't be picked that day. It was like he knew something that he wouldn't/couldn't tell me. :confused:

As for bringing my kids, I wouldn't actually do that. It would draw way too much attention to me and I don't like attention. Plus I would be afraid I'd get in trouble and I'm not actually a trouble maker at all. I was afraid to take our homeschool paperwork into the district office this year bc I was afraid they'd be upset with me. I'm thinking DH will stay home if they don't offer an extension.

I've been called twice and excused both times because my kids will very young. Now I've moved to a different county, and I'm not so sure that will fly if I get called again. I seriously doubt I'd be chosen though since I have friends and family in law enforcement and I have a religious degree. One of those will take me out of the running for sure. :glare:

Try to think of it as a learning experience. You get to participate in the process, then you can tell your kids what it's all about.

I've been called twice and excused both times because my kids will very young. Now I've moved to a different county, and I'm not so sure that will fly if I get called again. I seriously doubt I'd be chosen though since I have friends and family in law enforcement and I have a religious degree. One of those will take me out of the running for sure. :glare:

Try to think of it as a learning experience. You get to participate in the process, then you can tell your kids what it's all about.

This was my DH's positive spin as well! :lol:

I really dislike the thought of being on a jury. Courts freak me out. I think if I ended up showing up, they'd send me home with a note in my file "please do not bring back."

:rofl:

This truly made me laugh out loud. I feel the same. I don't want to go. It scares me.

I'm hoping it's just a one day thing. I checked out the website they suggested I look at and it says that most jurors don't even get picked the day they are called. Plus the rude guy DID say that I probably wouldn't be picked that day. It was like he knew something that he wouldn't/couldn't tell me. :confused:

And, also find out, if you show up, how many years is it before you can be called again! I think it is 3 years here, which is pretty good. So, one day of agony takes the worry of this recurring off your shoulders for 3 years.

And, also find out, if you show up, how many years is it before you can be called again! I think it is 3 years here, which is pretty good. So, one day of agony takes the worry of this recurring off your shoulders for 3 years.

This is also a good point. Thanks. :)

Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail about jury duty. And the date? September 10th! We'll be in the midst of homeschooling! I don't have a substitute teacher to call. What am I supposed to do?

I called the office about it. The guy was rude. He made me cry with his rudeness. :( He said that "homeschooling isn't a reason not to serve on a jury" and that "not having anyone to watch your kids isn't a reason to not serve on a jury." Then he said, "Think of it this way, if your dr told you had to have surgery that day, what would you do then?"

I understand that they need people on the jury and I get that. I would be more than willing to do it if I had the easy ability to get someone to watch my kids/teach my kids. But the fact is, unless my husband (or one of our relatives) takes off work (which means not being paid, which equals causing financial hardship to someone), I have no one to watch my kids while I sit around in a courthouse all day waiting to see if they even WANT me on a jury. And what's worse is that while I might be able to scrape up someone for that one day, what am I to do if they want me for a week? A month?

I sent a letter that said the following with my form:

"I received a jury duty notice in the mail today, July 18, 2012. I cannot serve on a jury at this point in time. It would cause undue hardship. I am a stay-at-home mother to four children. I am their caregiver during the day and there is no one else to watch them for any sort of prolonged period of time. I am respectfully asking that you excuse me from jury duty."

What do you think? Will it get me excused?

Do not bring the kids. You will just annoy the judge and the court personnel.

You will probably be excused if you have no one to watch the kids. But you never know. Be prepared, just in case.

Often, you are called for jury duty, but the trials settle out before the trial date, so you don't need to show anyway.

It must vary from place to place. My dad said the first thing they asked was if there were any major financial hardships to serving long term (long term meaning anything more than that day) or childcare issues.

Around here they probably have enough people. It pays fairly well and so if you don't have a job it's a little bit of extra money. Heck, "I" would like to make the little bit of extra money.

I think ours pays $9 a day.

Yes, if I'm in a horrific accident and need to spend time in the hospital or drop dead my husband is going to have to deal with it. But I hardly think that's comparable. We shouldn't have to go broke and my husband shouldn't have to lose his job because of jury duty.

Yes, in these situations your husband would be covered under the Family *Medical* Leave Act.

I'm pretty sure jury duty isn't considered a family medical emergency.

You may or may not be excused for that one day. If you aren't, find a babysitter for that ONE day. Then, when you are there, you'll have a chance to explain why you can't do it. Here you have to call in the day before you are supposed to be there and more often than not, they don't even need you for that one day. But even if they do, you'll have your chance to explain then and I think the odds are that you'll be excused THEN.

Not having someone to watch your kids IS a pretty darn good excuse in my book if I can't find someone and can't afford someone to watch them. I would definitely work my hardest to find someone or try and save money so someone could watch them, but if neither of that happened THEN I would try and postpone it until I couldn't postpone anymore. IF, and only if, at that point I had the same circumstances I'd take them with me and oh well to them.