Menu

Students report that school is too easy

When I was in school it was definitely too easy. I graduated High School in 2004. I don't find myself overly smart but I am good at academics and I was bored out of my mind (except in geometry, I still have nightmares over geometry lol). I was in the G/T classes and was still bored in elementary school. I quickly learned to do the minimum to get good grades and many many times I finished my homework before I got home from school, even in high school.

My oldest went to ps for middle school this year. She was in 6th and she was in all advanced classes. It was a mixed bag.

Language Arts was way too easy and she breezed through it. She enjoyed it at the very end when they all read The Giver and discussed, but other than that it was way easy.

History was actually awesome. They were learning the Ancients and her teacher used no textbooks. She lectured, made her own worksheets, and they took notes every class. She learned a lot more about cultures, religions, and geography than I expected. It was an awesome experience.

She also had an excellent science teacher and they did a lot of interesting experiments and dissections. Their room actually looked like my high school science lab rooms. It was a good experience.

Math was sometimes challenging, but as a whole not so much. She will be skipping advanced 7th grade and going straight to Algebra instead, so I hope it's a better fit next year.

Overall we've been pleased. I thought I would be afterschooling a lot, but we only supplemented with language arts. We're taking it year by year and I hope it continues this way, but we're not expecting that.

I feel I would have learned more self-educating in many subjects.

I had two tremendous high school science teachers. One persistently got in trouble because he was too rigorous, and there were too many Cs given in his chem and physics classes. We used the same books I used in college (this was a non AP chem class and an honors but non-AP physics course). He always said he'd rather water down a rigorous text than have to deal with something not challenging enough. So he was tough, but he prepared me for college. FWIW, both science teachers were non union members and had a target on their backs from what I had heard and picked up in conversation with them (I was fairly close to both of them). I'm not anti union, but it was an interesting experience.

The chem/physics guy was fired for wearing his lab coat to lunch duty on a day the students were planning a huge food fight. No matter that he was an incredible teacher; they treated the lab coat as an issue of him egging on the students by wearing it. He was just smart and came prepared for what he knew was going to happen that day. The other guy had enough seniority that he didn't get picked on too badly, but he was definitely an outsider. He was an amazing teacher. He took the time to teach us HOW to learn; we spent a good portion of his class learning how to tag new info onto existing knowledge and make new connections. I couldn't have gotten through college without him, as I was in a major that involved a large amount of memorization (heavy on anatomy, etc.). With the emphasis on testing these days, I wonder if he would have been able to take the time to do that. It was absolutely critical to my higher education, and I didn't know how to do it effectively until I hit his classes.

My high school calc teacher took every sick and personal day he had ever accumulated, so we had history major substitutes sitting in 2-3 days a week for a good portion of the year. They basically assigned reading in our text and left us alone. That didn't work well for me! If only we had Khan or something then that I could have used as a resource. My dad attended 1 year of college, and my mom didn't attend at all. THey didn't know calc and couldn't help me, whereas lots of kids in my class had parents who were college-educated or were professionals. So I had to try to self-teach calc, and it didn't go well. I got through, but it was tough. I took it in college with a competent professor and thought, wow, it isn't so bad. Perhaps I would have majored in something more math oriented if I had believed in my own competence.

So I feel a good portion of my education was either wasting my time, teaching myself, or wishing I had the time to self-educate. Not to say there weren't some shining moments and a few excellent teachers. Most of it wasn't rigorous enough, and where there was rigor, it came without a competent mentor or adequate support IME (self teaching calc).

eta: I also had no idea how to study, because I could always get by with my idea of studying, which was a joke. I took the most challenging courses, I applied myself, I thought I was "studying," but I really had no clue. Then I got to college and had to learn how to really study. Thankfully it didn't take me long to figure out, but high school did me no favors. I could cruise too easily.

Edited by Momof3littles

My children have never attended PS so I can't answer from that perspective. Academics tend to come easily to our children, as well as to Dh and I, so my guess is that they would be bored.

Dh was so bored in school during the 70's and 80's that he just about gave up. He began teaching himself algebra 1 in 5th grade with a text from the school library but they would not bump him up to gifted classes because he was too shy and didn't like to read outloud so the teachers thought he needed the regular socialization of the typical classroom. Sigh..... Yep, that's the ticket...this kid is graphing linear equations, but we'll keep him back and make him add and subtract fractions endlessly and while he is explaining Newtonian physics to his classmates we'll assign him "Craft" based art projects such as making a model of the solar system from pipe cleaners and styrofoam balls....sheesh...they nearly ruined him. He had NO intention of ever doing ANY work for teachers ever again, but his dad was able to get a job out-of-state and in a school district in Fort Lauderdale that offered a lot of honors/AP classes and such. The teachers there were really talented and took a lot of interest in him. This salvaged his education.

I was bored, bored, bored, bored. I did okay in elementary because I went to a small rural elementary that averaged 17-20 students per class with veteran teachers who were teaching there for less money because they liked the environment and flexibility. They had a more "one room schoolhouse" mentality and allowed kids to be operating a various levels in various subjects...didn't phase them a bit. So, I had challenging work and a free pass to head to the school library whenever I needed something to pass the time...they kept a lot of higher level reading books for my brother and I and we managed. Middle school was nothing but spinning my wheels. The last semester of 8th grade my parents sent me to a private Christian school that while the environment was healthier than the PS for certain - descending into a "Lord of the Flies" mentality - it completely lacked in academics. By the time I was 16, I had accumulated 28 credits all on independent study - the last year I was there I never entered a solitary classroom (the year that would have been my sophomore year at the public school) just went to the library to accomplish my self-study work - and was released from high school. Not one litle bit of work that I was assigned at that school was even remotely challenging nor did it require the slightest thought to accomplish...very rote in nature. I spent lot of time getting books from the state library and self-educating so I would be prepared for college. My parents placed me there because of the culture of the PS middle school, but that Christian school was not worth a solitary dime spent in terms of academic education. I look back on it now as nothing more than throwing money down a hole. They could have just brought me home and let me self-educate and the product would have been the same, minus all the cost!

I have talked to bright students from our local PS who are definitely reporting boredom. But, I talk to a bunch more that think if they have to put a pencil to paper for more than 10 or 15 minutes per day, they are being tortured and their teachers are too hard. :glare:

Faith

When I was in school it was definitely too easy. I graduated High School in 2004. I don't find myself overly smart but I am good at academics and I was bored out of my mind (except in geometry, I still have nightmares over geometry lol). I was in the G/T classes and was still bored in elementary school. I quickly learned to do the minimum to get good grades and many many times I finished my homework before I got home from school, even in high school.

:iagree: Except that I graduated hs in 1986. I was definitely at a disadvantage when I hit college because I had no idea how to study. I don't remember ever doing homework in hs, but still pulled A's and B's. And I went to a Christian hs, with supposedly higher academic standards. One of the main reasons I'm homeschooling is the growing disparity in our area, at least, between the lower, struggling kids and the kids who come from homes where the tv isn't on all the time, and they are read to and talked to on a regular basis. Test scores in our district are down so they are increasing the amount of LA instructional time and eliminating or decreasing the minutes of content areas. If my kids were in ps, they would seriously be pulling their hair out.

Edited by KrissiK

Personally - yes and no.

Elementary School - I was in an amazing gifted program that actually had all the identified gifted kids in one class together. All of my classroom teachers had masters degrees. We worked ahead of the curve all the time and even took the standardized test one year beyond our grade each year. I enjoyed school very much through these years.

However,I don't think we got enough time for science or history and I don't see this type of gifted program running at the elementary level anymore. Seems like nowadays they do enrichment a few days a week for advanced kids instead of really letting them move forward as fast as they would be able to.

Middle and High School - Very mixed bag but generally fairly easy. It always came down to the teacher. I have fond memories of a handful of classes where the teachers pushed us and demanded excellence. The majority I felt bored. My personal favorite for easiest class in high school was Biology where the teacher gave us all the questions and answers to the test beforehand. He coached a few different sports at the school and didn't seem to care about much else.

Edited by Dancer_Mom

yep. DS is/was in a small private school and accelerated 2 grades. The back of the worksheets he did in school always filled with monster fight gazilla.. He done that after he finished all his school work and homework in the classroom. He is that bored.

I haven't had kids in school, but I found this to be the case when I was in school. It is the number one reason I'm homeschooling. Or at least, it is what drew me to homeschooling in the first place. I have lots of good reasons now. :)

This was definitely the case for me. Public school K-8 was really, really easy. My public university was also mostly really easy, with just a handful of exceptions. In stark contrast is the small, academically challenging private school I attended for high school. It was waaaaaaaaay harder, and this was a good thing.

I thought it was too easy when I was a kid and my kids thought it was far too easy.

Dd used to spend over half her days at school doing free reading because she was waiting for the class to finish each subject.

Ds had a wonderful science teacher his last year in ps. She was young and very excited about doing hands on science. They did tons of experiments and experiential learning. It was still too easy, but at least it was fun! (I say it was too easy because he had 100% in the class 3 out of 4 quarters and a 99 the other quarter without effort. He wasn't complaining ;))

My kids didn't always dislike ps, and they did learn there. Their test scores put their elementary in top ranked schools nationally and it was TOO easy!

Definitely ... both in Catholic school and in a public magnet for the top 1/2% of our side of the school district (the other magnet took the top 2% of the rich side of the district, but that's another story) ... my kids were bored. When they were in the magnet, ALL of the kids were bored. I guess at least they were bored together with other kids they could relate to?

One reason why I'm homeschooling is that DD was complaining about "having to learn things I already know"-and based on what was coming home, even her "enrichment" classes were below her level. Worse yet, she started to believe that she WASN'T capable of more and to get unhappy.

Based on what I've seen, school today seems to miss the boat in one direction or the other. Either it's too easy and boring, or it's too advanced. Sometimes on the same page-I've seen math pages that were 3/4 boring busy work, and then had several challenge problems on the bottom that required skills far beyond what had been taught-insuring that practically every child would be either bored or frustrated and that none would feel terribly happy with their skills.

It wasn't easy for me, because I went to a private, classical school. I didn't board because I lived in town, but half the students did board. Let me just say, college didn't even begin to be challenging until my junior year.

My dd shadowed one of her best friends in high school for a couple of days. This best friend took all honors classes. My dd said they were doing the same level of work she did in sixth grade. My dd also participated on the high school drill team (but did not attend any classes at the school). She told me the homework the other girls were whining about was ridiculous and not what she would consider high school level work.

My dd had her friend show me an essay this friend was working on for her honors English class. This girl is regularly praised by teachers for her exceptional work. She was a 4.0 student. I read her essay. :001_huh: She got an A....I would have graded it a D...or worse. This same girl is now in college and struggling mightily. She has discovered that her abilities are average at best, and sometimes they're not even that good. She has spiraled into a depression and is now on medication. She simply doesn't understand how she could have been at the top of her class in high school and has now almost failed her first year at a university. It breaks my heart.

The kids in our state are not allowed to be held back in school. If they are failing a class in high school, they take home a "packet". It contains worksheets for extra credit. If they complete the packet, their grade is raised by one letter. They can do this multiple times to raise their grade to an A. The worksheets are simplistic, elementary school level garbage. And the kids still complain about those.

At college, my kids regularly see students who are not allowed to take freshman English or math. They have to do remedial work in both subjects. My son knows several friends who have to take PRE-ALGEBRA in college. They have two more math classes after that before they are allowed to take the college level course. These kids were straight A students in high school, in one of the "best" public high schools in our state. :glare:

Public education in this country needs a serious wake-up call. It is failing our children.

We afterschool to provide a greater challenge for both of my DDs.

What I absolutely can't fathom is why anyone thinks that the problem of an instructional system that by necessity (thanks to NCLB standards and the increasing focus on standardized testing) can't really take individual needs and levels into account is best solved by imposing national standards. How does making schools less individualized solve the problem of schools not having enough individualized instruction? :confused:

I haven't had kids in school, but I found this to be the case when I was in school. It is the number one reason I'm homeschooling. Or at least, it is what drew me to homeschooling in the first place. I have lots of good reasons now. :)

:iagree:

There were a few times in school when I felt challenged. I could probably list them on one hand. :tongue_smilie: Seventh grade, when I moved states mid-year and the curriculum differences between the two states were significant, and I was in all-gifted classes, and even then it was Math and English that were the really hard ones. Other than that, I might possibly include AP English and AP Calculus BC (though I got an A in the calculus class and passed both the AP exams, and I never studied or put forth any effort for either of those classes).

I think I could pretty much categorize the entire rest of my education as "too easy". That's not to say I disliked school. I had some wonderful teachers, and I really loved learning despite all the needless repetition I had to endure. But even in what I consider to be my favorite class in all of high school, AP Chemistry, I played calculator games through class all year long because the material was easy enough that I didn't need to pay attention.

In high school I usually did my homework the morning of, on the way to school. Some days I did it while sitting on the couch watching cartoons. I never really had to study or work hard except in seventh grade English.

Yes, it was too easy. I was in a gifted program (now cut) for many years and had a few good experiences there, but overall I managed to graduate with honours in high school without ever actually studying. It was a problem when I went to university, and tbh I'm still terrible at certain kinds of studying.

Even my one that should have failed ps, said school was easy. Not because the materials were easy but because the teacher doesn't care if they do it. They said homeschooling is harder because I actually make them do the work, ps teachers can't do anything if a student refuses to do the work.

I'm not super happy with my dd's private school either. I think she could be getting a better education. I think her honors english & Algebra 1 class was excellent, but I didn't care for most of her other classes. She is happy, our relationship has really improved, and she was one of the highest scorers in her math class which is what we always bumped heads over. Only 1 more year at the private school and then she's headed of to community college (I'm not wild about some of the teachers there either).

I thought school was easy. Our schools here are considered excellent but I still don't want to send my kids. I sent one part-time and he did fine but I've changed my tune on sending the others.

:iagree:I skipped most of my Senior year and still graduated with honors. I got to college and found out I'm not gifted like I thought I was; public school was just a joke.

My two older kids attended public school through 5th and 6th grades and both found it to be much too easy. My stepson just finished 3rd and felt the same way. Even my stepdaughter who struggles with math found that the majority of the work was too easy.

When I was in school, we were grouped in our classes by ability starting in 6th grade, so I always found school to be challenging enough. :)

Me, too.

My husband and I were both miserable in public schools, primarily because of the boredom. It's why we knew our kids weren't going.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2012-07-09/school-too-easy/56120106/1

If you have, or had, a student in public school, did they find this to be the case?

It was definitely the case when I was in school over 30 years ago:tongue_smilie: It was also the case for my sister's kids who are needed tutoring to make up for lack of rigor.

It wasn't easy for me, because I went to a private, classical school. I didn't board because I lived in town, but half the students did board. Let me just say, college didn't even begin to be challenging until my junior year.

My dd shadowed one of her best friends in high school for a couple of days. This best friend took all honors classes. My dd said they were doing the same level of work she did in sixth grade. My dd also participated on the high school drill team (but did not attend any classes at the school). She told me the homework the other girls were whining about was ridiculous and not what she would consider high school level work.

My dd had her friend show me an essay this friend was working on for her honors English class. This girl is regularly praised by teachers for her exceptional work. She was a 4.0 student. I read her essay. :001_huh: She got an A....I would have graded it a D...or worse. This same girl is now in college and struggling mightily. She has discovered that her abilities are average at best, and sometimes they're not even that good. She has spiraled into a depression and is now on medication. She simply doesn't understand how she could have been at the top of her class in high school and has now almost failed her first year at a university. It breaks my heart.

The kids in our state are not allowed to be held back in school. If they are failing a class in high school, they take home a "packet". It contains worksheets for extra credit. If they complete the packet, their grade is raised by one letter. They can do this multiple times to raise their grade to an A. The worksheets are simplistic, elementary school level garbage. And the kids still complain about those.

At college, my kids regularly see students who are not allowed to take freshman English or math. They have to do remedial work in both subjects. My son knows several friends who have to take PRE-ALGEBRA in college. They have two more math classes after that before they are allowed to take the college level course. These kids were straight A students in high school, in one of the "best" public high schools in our state. :glare:

Public education in this country needs a serious wake-up call. It is failing our children.

:iagree:Totally

For me, no that was not my experience. School, particularly my high school, was HARD, so hard that my first two years of college were easier than my high school. I knew kids who were pulling all-nighters for our high school work, who aced their classes in college with much less prep. We partnered with the state university in town, so that may have been why. I think things have changed a lot since then with NCLB though.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2012-07-09/school-too-easy/56120106/1

If you have, or had, a student in public school, did they find this to be the case?

I sure did. My kid carried a heavy load of APs and advanced classes mostly, and did very little work. Some nights she had "no homework at all" at this "classical" high school.

We are moving her to another, more challenging school.

My stepkids find school pretty easy, but they don't seem to mind. They're taking the hardest courses they can (besides IB) and still have time to explore their real interests.

Over the course of high school, I took exactly 6 PE classes. School wasn't too tough. :tongue_smilie:

Yes. My kids were bored out of their minds. That is the reason we homeschool.

Same here. Although my middle child's teacher insisted that ds (9 yrs old)needed medication for his "ADD", his pediatrician confirmed that he was not suffering from ADD, only a bad case of boredom. That final year of public school was a nightmare for my son. To this day I sometimes still regret having him finish that school year.:crying:

No, I did not find public high school too easy. However, my ds just graduated from an IB program. My kid did have 70 lb backpack and wrote regularly about the many novels he was assigned. The demands of a full IB diploma are intense. My ds did take AP Government and that is one class (besides PE) that I do not recall him studying--he did earn a 5 on the AP exam when he was a sophomore and he did correct the teacher daily (she was frequently incorrect and my ds has not tact) I've learned that students who are said to take what's considered similar academic loads at a neighboring AP based high school find college more difficult in comparison to the students doing full the IB diploma. I hear these rumblings from kids and parents at church and swim team, etc. The kids in the full IB program come home from state universities at break talking about freshmen year like it was a breeze. The kids from the neighboring high school who took AP classes come home talking about how hard college was. Obviously, this is just observation not scientific study, but it makes you think.

I have noticed that kids who attend both these schools who are not in IB, AP, or honors classes are not getting any work at all. I have a couple friends who have said their dc never have homework and the kids get it done in class. I believe students in standard level courses are really missing out. I think they are completely unprepared for college and similarly unprepared for work. Due to not developing an discipline and not having academic challenges they may also be unprepared for vocational training.

There are many schools that offer a rigorous path (multiple AP--not just a few, IB diploma program, Cambridge IACE). If the school has that available and the student takes it then it is possible to have a demanding high school program. If a school does not offer a full buffet a demanding courses then my guess is most students would find it easy. If a student takes only a few or less higher level courses, that student will find high school easy.

I could not have offered the level of courses my ds took in the public high school. Our cc does not permit dual enrollment until age 16, which means if we had gone that route 11th grade would have been 1/2 over before he could taken a cc course.

For me, rigor was entirely teacher dependent. There was no consistent delivery of intellectual challenge at any phase of my public education. Some teachers demanded excellence and provided, in turn, excellent instruction.

And then there was Mrs. Smollens, the science magnet teacher who just gave us bottles of oil and water to shake every year for four years straight; and Mrs. Williams who taught AP World History by literally dictating an outline of world history aloud for 180 days straight; not to mention nonsense like health class and middle-school science as taught by PE teachers.

Overall, I was lucky to have some fabulous teachers all the way through (thank you Ms. Lamb, Ms. Wilson, Mr. Mertens, Mrs. Fontes, Mrs. Koehler, Mr. Citrin, Mr. Takagaki, et al.), but when I got to college I discovered many skill gaps that I think were the result of the overall shoddy nature of one-size-fits-all, understaffed-and-underfunded modern public education.

I have not read the entire thread.

But in my own personal experience teaching in public schools in inner city and rural areas -- I had the majority of students who were below grade level. Very few were "gifted". And only a small number were average or at grade level.

As a result, I had to get the majority up to grade level standards and taught to their level. Which left out those who were bright and bored. But when one teaches a large group of students, usually you do aim the lessons to the ability level of the group. Which leaves out the gifted or struggling students in most cases.

Age old question since the 1930's. Why can't Johhny read? :glare:

I currently teach primary elementary students, and I try very hard to challenge my advanced students. Trouble is, I am only one person, and I do need to make sure everyone passes the grade level standards. I am lucky to be at a private school, where most of the parents push their kids. But I have taught at public school, and I know current public high school teachers. If they taught the demanding class the kids really needed to be prepared for college, a small handful of the kids, if that, would "get it.". The rest would simply check out, do nothing, and fail all or most of their classes. Seriously, you would find 3/4 of the students actually failing classes consistently.

The parents and school board would rampage and blame the teachers, not the students ever. Teachers are taught it is our job to make sure the kids are learning, so if too many kids fail, we have failed and can eventually loose our jobs. It's definitely a case of being caught between a rock and a hard place.

Yes for dd9 - brain-numbing boredom and a lack of differentiated instruction was the main reason we decided to bring her home.

Yes for me - the last 6 years of school were a complete waste of time. Other than two good English classes, I don't think I learned anything. Luckily I was a voracious reader and basically self-educated. With lots of holes.

Yes for me - the last 6 years of school were a complete waste of time. Other than two good English classes, I don't think I learned anything. Luckily I was a voracious reader and basically self-educated. With lots of holes.

Ditto, except I think I had one good English class and one good Spanish class.

I bailed midway through 11th grade, went directly to the community college and never looked back.

I was just chatting with my husband today about the fact that I don't remember much of anything from high school. I do remember some of the reading for English (honors class in which I was still reading ahead to stave off boredom), and I remember my Spanish teacher well. He gave me a great foundation for continuing Spanish in college. I remember snippets of geometry but no other math. (And I mostly remember hating it.) I remember having to come in after school to make up the frog dissection lab and just watching while my friend did the actual cutting. I remember that one of my social studies teachers loved to talk about his favorite artist (El Greco), but I don't even remember what we were actually supposed to be learning in that class.

Honestly, my feeling is that I didn't learn anything meaningful or substantive in school from middle school until I got to my third year of college.