Menu

What are your favorite baby things 0-12 months?

California baby hair and body wash

Good, thick burp cloths (especially needed to catch crazy letdown and leaks if nursing)

Nice cloth nursing pads

Boppy pillow

An Asian baby carrier

The nosefrida snot sucker (nothing beats it if baby has a clogged nose, it puts those bulb syringes to shame)

A temporal artery thermometer- accurate, quick, and easy when already dealing with an upset baby

Cotton swaddling blankets with Velcro- the only way I could do a good swaddle for the babies that liked it.

Sheepskin I used mine every day for over 2 years... I kept them when done cuz I just love them :) Eucalan to wash it with; I'd send some too cuz it's a bit hard to find. One bottle should last for the life of the lambie, since it only takes a bit. It has lanolin in it, so that's good for the skin.

You have to know whether they'll be freaked about lambskin or not. There are also shorn and unshorn. Shorn is considered the safest....... In my opinion, you'd have to smoosh a babies face in it, for them to suffocate...

Bob strollers, beco carriers, Baby k'Tan wraps, petunia pickle bottom diaper bags, fuzzy bunzs cloth diapers, and Robeez shoes.

And def those keep me dry sheets for the first few months...such a laundry saver!

Hard to know now but if the baby will get attached to a "lovey" this is what my friend did:

Bought 1 or 2 dozen good quality cloth diapers and dyed them a nice color for the baby. Then each morning the baby got a fresh "lovey". She avoided the "oh, no, what do we do when the lovey needs to be washed and is falling apart or lost" thing.

I liked cloth diapers for burb rags. I liked a good baby monitor as well. We were more simple in our tastes (and budget)

Hard to know now but if the baby will get attached to a "lovey" this is what my friend did:

Bought 1 or 2 dozen good quality cloth diapers and dyed them a nice color for the baby. Then each morning the baby got a fresh "lovey". She avoided the "oh, no, what do we do when the lovey needs to be washed and is falling apart or lost" thing.

I liked cloth diapers for burb rags. I liked a good baby monitor as well. We were more simple in our tastes (and budget)

We did this too. I used the cloth diapers as burpsemup cloths, and they became my oldest child's loveys . . . good thing, because (he would kill me for typing this) he didn't give up his lovey until after he turned 10. I had a stack of 36, and they never got lost/worn out/etc.

My favorite items were the Boppy-- it was my best friend when nursing, and both kids loved sitting and lying in it. Then the cats loved it :D -- and the baby gym-- the fabric mat with the arches over top for attaching pull toys. Both boys were fascinated by those, and we could attach new toys. They would reach (did you know babies can reach accurately with their feet before they can with their hands, as early as six weeks?) grab, swat, and laugh, both on their backs AND on their tummies, wuggling back and forth, getting up and rocking, trying to crawl to get stuff.

So those are my top 3!

1. Cloth diapers

2. Boppy

3. Baby gym

soft fuzzy polar fleece-type blankets (big ones).

nightgowns - they were so wonderful as middle of the night diaper changes were so easy.

now, i'd probably get a podegai. It has a learning curve to use, but is so easy once you've got it figured out. I carried a friend's baby around in hers - it was wonderful. I had a snugglie and a baby bjorn and hated them both.

eta: cloth diapers make great burp cloths. 2dd loved her johnny jump-up, but I think personality is involved too.

Edited by gardenmom5

A Mei tai, a pair of lactating breasts, a maid service, and a husband who cooks :lol:

:lol:

Cute cloth diapers

GCs to target , Walmart, or babies r us for when I needed to run out and get X, Y, or Z that either I hadn't anticipated or wasn't ready for

Moby wrap for the first few months, now my mei tai

Aiden and Anais swaddle blankets. The best!

:iagree:

I got a four pack of these when my little guy was born two years ago, and they were probably my most used items. In fact, we're at the airport right now, and he's in his stroller sleeping under one. They roll up so small that I can fit one in my personal item on the plane.

When I was pregnant with my 13 month old, I bought a yard of double width unbleached muslin, cut it in half so it was single width, hemmed the edges, and tie dyed them. I used them as light weight swaddlers since he was born in June, and now he and his brother play with them like playsilks - they become capes, tents, peekaboos, dresses, etc.

My third baby is 4 months old. We've used

• Car seat
  • Halo sleep sacks over swaddled baby
  • Prefold cloth diapers as burp rags and diapers (with Snappi closures and Flips covers - cheap and very effective!)
  • Plug in swing
  • Bouncer seat
  • NoseFrida
  • Sling and Beco carriers (sling left from the first baby, Beco from the second!)
  • One piece baby outfits and pajamas with feet. I don't mess with socks as much as I can help it.
  • Playtex drop in bottles. I don't love the waste, but these are the best bottles I've ever used! With my first two, I used and Avent, Born Free, Evenflo glass, and Dr. Brown's. This baby wouldn't take any of them and our ped suggested Playtex. They're fantastic! No sterilizing bottles in the middle of the night - just drop in a new liner and go. And they don't leak! I do wash out the liners for reuse.

Wow! Things have really changed since my dc were babies! This thread mentions a lot of items I've never heard of!

Halo sleep sacks

NoseFrida

Beco carrier

Aiden and Anais

Moby Wrap

podegai

baby bjorn

Boppy

Bumbo

Ergo

Baby k'Tan wraps

Babylegs

:001_huh:

let me help :) explanations in bold.

Wow! Things have really changed since my dc were babies! This thread mentions a lot of items I've never heard of!

Halo sleep sacks - wearable blankets

NoseFrida - special sucker dealy for the stuffy noses

Beco carrier - a way to wear baby on front or back and have both hands free, a "soft structured carrier"

Aiden and Anais - overpriced pieces of muslin :lol: marketed for swaddling

Moby Wrap - another way to wear baby hands free - consists of a several yards long strip of cotton knit, comes with a booklet for how to wrap it around your body so as to deposit your baby into it safely.

podegai - an asian style of baby wearing device that i'm not super familiar with.

baby bjorn - yet another baby wearing device, usually referred to as "crotch danglers" by beco wearers and the like :rant:

Boppy - U-shaped pillow that i found more irritating than helpful - chafed my arms and pressed on my c-sec scar. some mamas use them to hold baby up closer to breast. mine are huge and i could probably leave baby in the other room and still reach. sometimes i did prop baby up on ours to help him sleep, despite the glaring warning tags saying not to.

Bumbo - foam chair that holds baby upright before he can hold himself upright. good for nosy, er i mean alert children like my first

Ergo - similar to beco

Baby k'Tan wraps - similar to moby

Babylegs - think teeny tiny legwarmers a la 1980s workout trends. often seen paired with a cloth diaper, because regular pants would cover up that super cute fluffy bum.

:001_huh:

and will probably be getting even more use out of it with baby #2 since baby #1 will only be 16 months old when #2 arrives. :lol:

Her other must-have: Kicky Pants bamboo baby clothing. It was so awesome for dgs when he was tiny - SUPER soft! Dd actually got maternity shirts for herself from them this time. I'm SO looking forward to ordering some of the pink ones after we get the gender confirmed next week (her big anatomy scan).