Menu

Where do you get your boxes when you move?

I've been on a self imposed packing rush. I'm making great headway, but I've run out of boxes :( I've used every decent shipping box I had. I bought bankers boxes for our books but that is too expensive for packing the rest of the house. Plus, they are a little small. None of the stores here want to give you old boxes :glare: they say they cut them down when they unpack them. We don't have a dedicated uhaul place, they just have one at like a used car lot, so he just keeps a truck and a couple of trailers, no packing materials. I hate to break my run here, where can I get sturdy boxes that won't break me financially.

When I went to pick up my husband's new suits for his job interview I noticed a lot of boxes at the store (Men's Wearhouse). The sales associate was glad to give me a stack of already broken down boxes and said I should come back for more, that they get shipments almost daily and always have them.

We are in the midst of packing as well - I feel your pain!

The last time we moved I bought a bunch of boxes at Home Depot. The small boxes were something like $0.50, and were perfect book boxes (without those awesome handles).

The medium boxes were ~$1, the large were ~$1.30? Either way, they were MUCH, MUCH cheaper than Uhaul and although the sizes were slighjtly different, the quality was the same.

When we moved out of state, we decided to spend the money for boxes from the local UHaul place. It was totally worth it to have sturdy boxes of uniform size. We didn't have the problems with boxes getting crushed or stacks toppling that we always did before.

Last time we moved, it was with a moving company so they provided the boxes :) In moves that weren't company paid, we've begged from friends and stores. Liquor, wine and egg boxes are particularly durable.

Definitely Craigslist! I've often seen ads that say I'm putting my boxes on the street, free for the taking.

Also, do you know anyone else who has moved recently? We usually end up getting lucky like that.

This is going to sound funny but I have always gotten mine from Gymboree. The children's clothing store in the mall. They get huge shipments and the boxes are awesome. I would check stores that know you and ask if you can pick up some (or all) of their boxes after a shipment. They always worked well because they were medium size and I could pack enough in them and still be able to move them.

HTH!

We rented them from the moving company. They let us mark on them, too - we got new boxes and returned beat-up, marked up boxes but that was o.k. It was part of their service.

The wardrobe boxes are GREAT - tall enough, and with a metal bar across the top, so that you just move the hanging clothes from your closet to the box without taking them off the hangers or folding etc. Then from the moving box to your new closet.

At the time, we were only moving a few miles, from a townhouse to our current two-story 1906 five-bedroom. We moved a lot ourselves in advance (buying from friends who let us do so) but let the professionals move the heavy stuff and furniture.

I just bought all our moving boxes from Walmart. I couldn't find any place that had any they were willing to keep aside for me to pick up daily. And the places that were willing to do that were offering boxes that didn't have flaps to close, they were banana boxes, which aren't the best for packing up in a moving truck.

I think I bought all the boxes to pack up our 3 bedroom, 2 bath home and spent well under $100.

The last time we moved I bought a bunch of boxes at Home Depot. The small boxes were something like $0.50, and were perfect book boxes (without those awesome handles).

The medium boxes were ~$1, the large were ~$1.30? Either way, they were MUCH, MUCH cheaper than Uhaul and although the sizes were slighjtly different, the quality was the same.

:iagree: This was what we did last time.

They will ship them to you free if your order is over $45.

Edited by Princess Peach

Last time we moved, we got most of our boxes from a local coffee chain (Bigby's). Dh was a regular customer, so they were happy to do it for us. :tongue_smilie:They just told me when they got their shipments, and I picked up the boxes after they had time to unload them. Worked great. Lots of various sizes, which I find handy.

If there's any local stores where you/your dh are regular customers, talk to the manager. They're usually more than happy to let you have the boxes instead of tossing them in the dumpster.

I just bought all our moving boxes from Walmart. I couldn't find any place that had any they were willing to keep aside for me to pick up daily. And the places that were willing to do that were offering boxes that didn't have flaps to close, they were banana boxes, which aren't the best for packing up in a moving truck.

I think I bought all the boxes to pack up our 3 bedroom, 2 bath home and spent well under $100.

This is what I ended up doing. I didn't need many, less than 10, and I just drove to the next town over and bought them. Our Walmart doesn't stock them, it's like a mini-Walmart :tongue_smilie: with a ton of useless stuff LOL. No bookstores, restaurants (besides McD's), liquor stores, Uhaul, Lowes/Home Depot, anything locally. One of the reasons I want to jump ship before this town dries up and blows away, they absolutely DO NOT want businesses/entertainment venues in their town. Anyway, enough of a gripe about that :D I found boxes! Yea! And I got my basement cleaned out!!! Super Yea! The trash people are going to hate me come Monday morning, but I did make up super large bags of really nice clothes to donate, so that balances, right? LOL I have all my yard sale stuff sorted into my oldest son's room and it is overflowing. I can't wait to get that out of the way. As far as what I plan to keep, it is well on it's way to being packed up!

We have moved ourselves 14 times in the last 18 years and have never paid for a box. :D If you have a Walmart close they will put boxes back for you if you give them your name and pick them up around 6 in the morning. I also usually check the dumpsters of the smaller clothing and furniture stores. Also, I have had success at Dollar Generals and Hastings.

Good Luck!

After we used all of our diaper boxes and boxes from random shipments, we got our boxes from the liquor store. I've always had good experiences with the boxes from there. If we need to pack toys and bigger stuff, we buy the plastic totes with lids at Wal-Mart.

:iagree: People who saw us moving must have thought we had a drinking problem lol. Those are some very sturdy boxes though, and bigger stores get nearly daily shipments.

When we moved out of state, we decided to spend the money for boxes from the local UHaul place. It was totally worth it to have sturdy boxes of uniform size. We didn't have the problems with boxes getting crushed or stacks toppling that we always did before.

Same here. It was totally worth it. We moved across state and we had no casualties at all, plus the boxes stacked really well in the truck because of the uniform size.

Someone mentioned craigslist to buy used boxes, and it would seem likely that a person could likewise sell good boxes to recoup the cost. I think that's what I would do if it were me.

Blessings,

Lucinda