Menu

How can an 8yo earn money?

If my daughter saves her allowance, it will take about 4 months before she can buy the Lego Friends set she desperately wants.

She says that she wants to work to earn the money.

We don't want to pay for regular chores (thats part of living in the family), so I'm a bit stumped as to what she could do to earn money.

Any ideas?

Would you be willing to pay her for some extra chores, for example spring cleaning / beyond-the-ordinary type housework (washing all the windows, cleaning out/rearranging closets and under sink areas, cleaning out the frig)? Could she help out at anyone else's house, for example, playing with their pet while they're at work or some such gentle task? (I mean, like an aunt or neighbor, not a random person.) Or could she help out at some local organization, and you give her a donation towards her goal?

Vacuum the car out

Clean the wood work in one room of the house

Entertain a younger sibling while you work in another part of the house (kind of like supervised babysitting)

Read to a younger sibling for 20 mintues

Clean out the fridge (slightly supervised)

Sweep the sidewalk in front of the house

Sweep the porch

Weed the flowerbeds or garden (I'd divide this up into 15 minute sessions if either is very large)

Clean out the coat closets

Make lunch for family (PB&J with chips comes to mind)

Dog walking

Cat brushing

I will sometimes pay for extra chores that I might pay for as a service. Cleaning the car, for example. I pay my boys about half what I'd pay at the car wash. They can choose to do it together and split the money. Mowing the lawn and other yardwork is another, as the boys see yard workers at the neighbors' houses weekly.

She might also consider pet-sitting for a neighbor or having a lemonade stand. My boys have made extra spending money doing both. They sold our extra tomatoes along with lemonade last summer and made about $10 after repaying me for the lemonade.

And in the long run, saving and waiting for four months is a good lesson in...well, saving and waiting. As is brainstorming how one can get the money sooner without resorting to borrowing. :)

Cat

Are things like lemonade stands allowed in your area? My nephew, who has been quite the little entrepreneur almost since birth, has done those with some success.

He's done some other things, too. When he was about six, he and his best friend gathered a bunch of rocks, rinsed them, drew faces on them with a marker, and then headed out door-to-door trying to sell them. They did this all on their own, and my sister-in-law first found out when a friend of hers about five doors down called to ask if she knew what the boys were doing. :D

I don't remember who it was, but I've heard of children making a simple craft and selling it. What I remember is pretty bookmarks, made with flowers the child gathered and pressed, and then strips of paper and clear contact paper.?...

Are there any younger children she could "babysit" in your area? I don't mean leave her alone with them, but I would be willing to pay some money for a child who wanted to help out with the younger children if I were home, but needed to get some things done.

Do you have coins that she can roll and keep some of the profit? That's my 9 year old's project for the week.

But, I agree that I'd pay for any extra chores. Do you need a room gutted or a bookshelf organized? Is there a chore that you've been dreading that she could help out with?

In addition to many of the above ideas, I will pay for backrubs. In fact, I'm getting one right now :001_smile:. Later, my son is going to read to his little sister in exchange for some extra video game time.

My 8 year olds could make a simple cake from a box mix or a batch of cookies. I happily pay for both when I don't have time to bake.

Working in the garden is one my guys used a lot...spreading mulch, pulling weeks, digging a bed, watering...

If she's strong enough and you think the neighbors would go for it - have her start a trash business. The night before trash day each week she can take trash cans to the curb. 50 cents a house can add up fast. If she starts a subscription service people who sign up won't have to worry about forgetting to take their trash to the curb.

This is not my idea - I read it in a magazine. But I thought it sounded like a good idea.

If she's strong enough and you think the neighbors would go for it - have her start a trash business. The night before trash day each week she can take trash cans to the curb. 50 cents a house can add up fast. If she starts a subscription service people who sign up won't have to worry about forgetting to take their trash to the curb.

This is not my idea - I read it in a magazine. But I thought it sounded like a good idea.

I was about to suggest this, too. I remember reading that and thinking how brilliant an idea. I'd totally pay a couple dollars a month to know we won't miss garbage pickup (or have to run it out at the awkward last minute). I think in the magazine, the child also went out after pickup and pulled the cans back up to the houses.

Have a yard sale. I know it's a lot of work....but you probably could stand to get rid of stuff and make some extra cash yourself. This would be good incentive for your dd to go through her toys, books, clothes, etc and help price them (items and price on your approval, of course). She can help with the sale, have a lemonade/treat stand, and get the money for what sells of her stuff. You'd make some money too. My 8 year old is helping me today to go through books and all kinds of stuff and helping price (she puts the tape on and I put everything in stacks of .25, .50, 1.00, and so on and she marks them)....this is for getting ready to sell at a flea market on the 4th.

In addition to many of the above ideas, I will pay for backrubs. In fact, I'm getting one right now :001_smile:.

Love this idea! My 5yo has been asking for ways to earn money and that is something he could handle.

DD9 makes $20/hour at her lemonade stand. She sells lemonade and brownies for $.50 and often people give her tips.

However, she is running this as a way to learn how to run an actual business, so she gives 10% to charity, has to pay for expenses (lemon juice, sugar, etc), had to pay back her investors (Mom and Dad), and saves 25%. But, she is almost to her financial goal!

Just remember, location is everything!!

post-38938-13535087011212_thumb.jpg

I don't pay for family chores, but I will pay for extra chores that are above and beyond.

:iagree:

Grandparents and other family members can be a good source, too. My mother pays my kids a few dollars every payday to come over and help her out for an hour -- things a 70-year-old can't do so easily but small children can, like pick up the nuts that fall from the tree, weed the flower bed, and crawl behind the bed to pick up whatever fell back there.

Edited by CroppinIt

We don't want to pay for regular chores (thats part of living in the family), so I'm a bit stumped as to what she could do to earn money.

Pay for extra chores that you don't normally require of her. At eight, my kids could have weeded a flower bed, swept off the porch, dusted all the baseboards, taken down the drapes and washed them, washed the car, taken the dogs for some exercise, folded and stored all the winter clothes and gotten out the summer clothes, power-washed the house's siding, etc.

Many of these things would have required some assistance, and yes they are all things that need to be done anyway, but you gotta give an 8 year old a break, right? ;)

It's good that she wants to work for the money and doesn't just expect you to pay. Good job, momma!

Tara

We pay ds8 for extra things like washing and vacuuming the cars, though not for regular chores. I also pay him to help me at my part time job at a small dog rescue now that I am getting to big to be bending over all the time. He helps get the dogs in and out for outside time, and has almost entirely taken over poop patrol in the yard.

My 11 year old son has done this with a lot of success for over a year. He makes around $30 a month.

The one thing that came to mind was fold laundry for a neighbor, maybe that's wishful thinking on my part! :tongue_smilie:

If I could drop off three loads of towels and kids clothes at a well behaved 8yr old's house and pick it up later in the afternoon, I would pay by the load!

If you want her to help around your house, some chores I would pay for would include:

scrubbing the baseboards to get a year's worth of grime finally off them

wiping down the walls, again, that year's worth of grime

dusting the blinds

cleaning out from under sofas, beds, etc.

Organizing toy bins or art supplies

My niece (8) sold the extra seedlings that my brother had started for his garden. She set up in their driveway with big signs. She also sells extra garden produce as the summer wears on.

Of course this is seasonal, but maybe you can think of something similar?

Sandra

My 7 year old made $50 with a lemonade stand earlier this summer. Right now he is feeding our next door neighbor's cat and getting their mail everyday while they're on vacation. They normally will give him a $25 gift card to Target or something similar upon their return. He's saving for a stereo so he can listen to music in his room. :D

I don't pay for family chores, but I will pay for extra chores that are above and beyond.

Yep. After your regular duties are complete, you are free to choose from my help needed cards that come complete with job description and pay.

Examples are:

Thoroughly comb out dog and freshen him with his conditioner spray. $0.50

Vacuum the couch, throw pillows, loveseat, and chair and clean under the cushions. $1.00

Clean out and vacuum the car. $1.00

Empty and reorganize the pantry. $0.75

Deep dusting. $0.50

Yard work $1.00

Each of my kids has three 'extra' jobs they can do around the house for $1 a piece and I pay them at the end of the week, keeping tally on the calendar that we have especially for this. My 8 year old son wasn't making as much money as he wanted that way though so he has started watching dogs for other people. I already kennel dogs once in awhile so I had no problem with him using some of what I had.

He is offering his services at a little lower than the norm as people tend to hesitate because he's a child. If I have to step in I charge him for whatever I have to do. Over the past month though he made $270. He won't do it all the time, just when he wants extra cash, but it's something he can do. Walking dogs twice a day, feeding them and playing with them takes time, but it's not too much for an 8 year old.

Examples are:

Thoroughly comb out dog and freshen him with his conditioner spray. $0.50

Vacuum the couch, throw pillows, loveseat, and chair and clean under the cushions. $1.00

Clean out and vacuum the car. $1.00

Empty and reorganize the pantry. $0.75

Deep dusting. $0.50

Yard work $1.00

I would offer more for every single one of those tasks. My kids would laugh at me if I told them I would only pay $1 for cleaning out AND vacuuming the car. Not because they are ungrateful money-grubbers, but because they know that it's a lot of work and $1 isn't worth it to them. My younger kids regularly do extra chores around the house for money, and we make it worth their time (my oldest would rather just complain about the fact that she has no money while she watches the little one work).

Tara