Menu

Random things...

It's red-faced-moaning-childern HOT here today.

We walked to the post office.

Who came up the the underwire bra, anway? Sadist.

I've been walking my son to VBS every day this week and Monday and Tuesday were hot. It's so hard to get the stroller around the monster crowds once I get to the church that I have been putting her in a Baby Bjorn to walk there and back. Between that, the underwire, and my son stopping to show me every bug, pinecone, and cool yard ornament I'm am miserable by the time we get home.

Oh yeah....I enrolled my son in VBS that is at a church that is a completely different denom than we attend because my DH has been working 16-17 hours day and I am at home with no car. I needed a little break.

The icing on this shame cake? My daughter has taken to napping most of the time that DS is gone.

Today though? It was cooler and cloudy. My son asked where the sun was. I told him and this is how he responded.

"Ok, I have to talk to the clouds a minute. Hi clouds? It's me Will. Thanks for covering up the sun. It berry nice on us walk. Ok, bye. Bye clouds. Stay in the sky, but I have to go."

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random things:

I cannot watch the scene in Hildago when his horse falls into the pit with the sharpened sticks....makes me sick to my stomach. You can blow up buildings, shoot people, etc. in movies but you cannot torture a horse because I lose it!

I wish my friend would make a quick end of the REALLY ANCIENT hens in her flock....her son-in-law is a vet and could put them out of their misery with one injection. Instead, since she is out of town, I get to retrieve and dispose of a chicken carcass every.single.day in this heat as they get weak and don't drink enough.....sigh....

Dh is grilling hamburgs outside. For whatever reason, this does not sound good to me and all I want is a pile of pintos or black beans with red pepper, green onions, salsa, sour cream, and cheese...

The children saw a garter snake in my parents yard. I may NEVER VISIT THEM EVER AGAIN IN THIS LIFETIME! Certainly not without armor, a grenade launcher, and a flame thrower! To add insult to injury, my dad is trying to get the evil beast to take up residence in his garden! Well, I can tell you this, if he wants me to make his salsa this year, he'll picking those tomatoes and peppers himself and bringing them to myself because

I.will.not.share.space.or.veggies.with.a.snake.

Faith

I hate dealing with cranky, old guys at church who always think they are right and will totally ignore the person in charge, who has the door key in hand to the correct room, and the checkbook, just because she is a younger and female. (Thank goodness there aren't very many of them!)

Just took 13yo dd swimsuit shopping. Oh how I hate to have to introduce her to such indignity! She was perplexed to discover that even the outrageously expensive suits do not automatically make her look like the cover models in her teen magazines.

I have to go to martial arts class tonight and I don't want to! There, I said it. I don't want to drive, I don't want to stretch, I don't want to train, I don't want to wear my gi-which doesn't fit all that great anyway, I don't want to get hit, and I don't want to practice breakfalls. I don't want to sweat. I am middle-aged, for crying out loud. I am not channeling Bruce Lee.

Oh well...time to go get dressed for class...

Dd dropped the navy blue nail polish brush on her sweater dress today. (It's chilly here today, oddly). I tried polish remover, Crayon Away, and finally went to Home Depot for something called Motsenbocker's Liftoff #3. We've both learned a lesson.

I bought the kids (and myself--just being honest) donuts because ds had an ortho appt this morning and couldn't "chew" much.

We're leaving in an hour to see the Avengers and I will be serving buttered popcorn for dinner. :D I feel like mom of the year--but I did eat vegetables with lunch!

We are attempting to clicker train the cat. It's clear we need to rearrange her feeding program for this to work.

random thing

Today at the park a woman told her young tot to throw her plastic popsicle wrapper on the ground. Way to go scum bag. This city isn't trashy enough. So I went and picked it up and threw it out.

You showed remarkable restraint. I would not have been able to be so gracious.

I just made a coconut milk, chocolate, banana, strawberry milkshake. Num num num!

Must.Make.This.

Random musings:

I must remember to take off my rings before playing playdoh with the kids.

I am secretly enjoying my dh being gone for the week. It makes suppers so easy.

:iagree: I just don't make a secret of it. Dh knows I enjoy it when he goes for a week or so.

I have a very messy, cluttered, and repair-needing home and not much energy to do anything about it.

Ugh--me too.

More randoms from me:

- The screen for my mp3 player has died and I'm using an ancient Rio in its place.

- I don't like mockingbirds. They think they own the place. I have to put chicken wire out on my tiny square-foot garden so they don't eat my tomatoes this year. Yeah, they ate them all last year because it took me that long to figure out what was happening. :tongue_smilie:

- And while I'm on the subject, a mockingbird attacked me the other day in the parking lot at Joann's because I stood under her tree too long.

- I'm so glad *someone* is finally taking care of cleaning up the abandoned house on our street.

- I was thinking of taking dd and her little buddy next door to the cheap summer movie but decided not to invite next door because he clears his throat constantly--as in at least 3 or 4 times per minute. It's a habit he developed this year with his allergies. I feel a little bad about not inviting him.

I love this thread!

My random thing: went to tbe doctor today and learned that he did not aprove of my homeschooling. "But you are making sure that your kids are, um, around other kids, right?" No, I make sure we stay locked in the house 24/7. :glare:

Amazon delivered my organic palm oil shortening today and left it on the back step in the sun. It was 100 degrees out today. :-P

Last week I ate a whole jar of nutella. Every morning I had nutella, yogurt, oats, and sunflower seeds mixed together. I have decided nutella is on my banned foods list.

What ever you do, don't do the math and see how many calories that nutella contained. :D

We processed our first chickens yesterday. I am presently making a chicken soup from the necks and it scares me!!!!!! :ohmy:

I was fine through the whole thing yesterday, but actually eating a bird I have raised has me a little freaked out! :eek::blush::tongue_smilie:

I couldn't do it. I think if I lived way back when I'd have been one of the first vegetarians.

It is time for me to wrap things up with my mom. I've been visiting for a week and a half. She is now driving me insane!!

I'm holding out to visit with other family this weekend. Heading home Monday. I *think* I can make it. It won't be easy though, I'm sure. ;)

Almost naps suck. I was resting on the couch. The kids were occupied, my mom left. Next thing I know, as I'm beginning to drift off, all chaos ensues.

Now I'm grouchy and want more soda and chocolate and whatever other junk I can find. Resisting the Mikes/Southern Comfort ;)

I've completely neglected my exercise and better eating this week. I kept to it pretty well last week, this week, forget it. And I'm not hiding it either LOL

I'm ready to be home to start school planning. Even though I am not ready for summer to be over. I feel like it almost is already. I don't like that at all. But, planning feels better than doing absolutely nothing.

In spite of the other garbage going on here driving me crazy with my mom, I have rather enjoyed being away from home. Just the change in scenery is helpful. Even if it is boring scenery.

And finally....my husband has been kind of clingy lately and it's driving me batty! He's not normally a clingy guy. Loving and affectionate, sure, but this is different and....well...I'm enjoying my time away.

Bless his heart. ;)

I hate dealing with cranky, old guys at church who always think they are right and will totally ignore the person in charge, who has the door key in hand to the correct room, and the checkbook, just because she is a younger and female. (Thank goodness there aren't very many of them!)

Uggggh! You are not alone. I had to deal with my own cranky old guy. Unfortunately (for the cost) I have a lawyer to deal with the cranky old guy now.

Are there random things that you'd like to share, but seem to trivial to make a new thread about? Post them here!

Mine for today:

How you know you are raising military brats: they are watching a tv show in the other room and all of the sudden you hear them all shout, "there's no such thing as 2400! It goes back to 0000!!"

Yep! My kids would yell that too.

Oh and for the pper that asked 0000 is said "Zero Hundred Hours" or just "Zero Hundred"

Lastly my random thought is....

Boy it gets quiet in here when you return home with 2 new Pokemon Conquest DS games, a Lego Batman 2 Wii game to give to your kids.

Oh, my goodness! He's wonderful! Congratulations :)

We should do random threads more often if people are going to post baby announcements in them.

Welcome to the boards! :D :D :D

Congratulations! What a cutie!

For future reference, new babies get their own thread even if one has been here an hour or two.

Thank you both and good to know if we decide to add a number 6 to the Horde. :tongue_smilie:

I'm pretty excited about the homemade sketchbook timeline we finished today, but I didn't want to start a thread just to brag about it.

If you don't want to click on the link, it's pretty self-explanatory: A timeline in a sketchbook. That's all it is. :D

Very cool!

I had a baby! (Okay, not trivial, but I feel funny starting a thread about it when I've only been here a few months.)

Awwwww...congratulations!

I met Ludacris, Far East Movement, and Keri Hilson today. They were helping us paint murals at my school and repurposing a bookmobile to serve as a community classroom. DoSomething.org is very cool and helped arrange it with funding from Bing.

I got six inches cut off my hair this evening. It had been a year since I last had a hair cut. I am normally am every six weeks hair cut kind of gal.

- I don't like mockingbirds. They think they own the place. I have to put chicken wire out on my tiny square-foot garden so they don't eat my tomatoes this year. Yeah, they ate them all last year because it took me that long to figure out what was happening. :tongue_smilie:

Nooooooooooo!!!!! THAT is where my tomatoes have been disappearing to!!!!!!!

I. hate. birds.

I am sick of the kid's obsession with minecraft.

The screen on my phone shattered and I can't upgrade for another month.

I want another pug but dh would flip if I brought another dog home. I'm still tempted.

My screen is shattered, and I put an otterbox (phone protector) over it. It is still shattered, but mostly usable. I refuse to replace it until I really need to.

- And while I'm on the subject, a mockingbird attacked me the other day in the parking lot at Joann's because I stood under her tree too long.

I love mockingbirds. They stay out of my garden, though. I haven't set my alarm clock in several weeks because the mockingbirds wake me up at 6:00am sharp every morning.

:grouphug: to all those with random stressful things and :party:for the ones with good news to share.

Mine is boring, but probably true for others. I read the board a lot. I don't think I read even half of the threads but I read far more than I post. Half the time I type a reply, I delete and never submit it. So I feel weird because I get a lot of the jokes on here but am not really "known" or "in" since I don't post often and don't get too personal. But it's been fun being on here, connecting with some through PMs, Facebook, or even on a thread now and then. :)

I had a baby! (Okay, not trivial, but I feel funny starting a thread about it when I've only been here a few months.)

Ok - that's a fine reason to start a new thread, newbie or not! He's precious! :D

I'm really enjoying this thread!

My random thoughts for the day. My DS11 is out of the house every day from 9-4 this week and next for a theater camp. I'm secretly loving every minute of it! :001_smile: I definitely needed a break from that tween angst and energy. He's been the easiest, most laid back kid until the past 6 months. I now need to figure out how to set up parental controls on our computers because of his hacking. :glare:

I found a jumbo jar of Nutella when I was looking for a gift for father's day for DH at a European grocery. We haven't had nutella in the house for months. Mmmmm ...

Oh last one since I burned about an hour on this over the past 2 days. For father's day I ordered 2 photo shirts off of Snapfish. My husband will only wear 100% cotton shirts, so I went for the deluxe shirt that said it was 100% cotton at 19.99 a pop. I get them and they are marked 100% POLYESTER. So then I send e-mail and get a non-reply saying I got what I ordered from someone who was clearly using English as a 2nd language. I get on their online chat. Turns out they don't even print on 100% cotton shirts. Umm ok ... why does your website say you do? They have a very plastic feel to them. On the upside, they did refund my money (and I still have the shirts). Weird.

Do not order these if you're hoping for a cotton t-shirt! I'm guessing they are counting on people not to look at the tag when you get them.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/gifts//product=tshirt-deluxe

When we lived in Germany, we lived in the middle of beautiful vineyards. In the summer they shot off cannons every hour starting at 5 am to scare off the birds. Is that an option in your neighborhood?

They used to do this when we lived near the corn fields in RI.

I put a bunch of shiny reflective pinwheels from the dollar bins at Target up by my garden every year, haven't had a problem with any birds since I started doing that.

My random thing:

I went to PT today and now I know why dh always smiles when he mentions the lady who does his PT. She is young and pretty. :glare: I feel petty about being a bit jealous, but didn't want to post a thread about how wrong my feelings are.

So now I've gotten it out. Thanks Mrs. M.

It's natural to feel a little jealous. Sometimes when dh has attractive clients come in I have to remind myself to keep those jealous feelings under control

For some reason this made me think about the scene from Date Night where Steve Caroll kept asking Tina Fey why she remembered the particular real estate client and then Mark Wahlberg answered the door with no shirt on. You could rent that movie and watch all the scenes with Mark Wahlberg in them and cheer yourself up. :lol:

My mother is sick, and was in the hostpital for a few days, but is home now and doing fine. Not cancer, stroke, or heart attack, thankfully.

Two of my chickens died today of heat stroke. They got themselves caught in an odd area, and it was too late to save them when we found them. Very sad, but #Freerangeissues.

I made three large salads yesterday for various friends/family, so pretty much picked my greens clean. I had to send my kids to the local farm stand for tonight's salad. I felt like a failure.

I had a really nice time chatting about stir fry recipes with the shopkeeper at my local charcuteria. We both decided that marinated thinly sliced pork sirloin is pretty awesome.

I made a clam boil for dinner, but cooking pork and shellfish always makes me feel guilty, and I am not Jewish or Muslim. :tongue_smilie: New England clam boils are so delicious!

Wow. This is all mostly about food --including my mom report. I made her chicken soup today (not with the dead ones! I might have, but I was not sure how long they had been dead), and a giant salad yesterday!

I need a new hobby.

PS. Someday I will do a pop quiz, asking you all to identify my love language. lol ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

:grouphug: to all those with random stressful things and :party:for the ones with good news to share.

Mine is boring, but probably true for others. I read the board a lot. I don't think I read even half of the threads but I read far more than I post. Half the time I type a reply, I delete and never submit it. So I feel weird because I get a lot of the jokes on here but am not really "known" or "in" since I don't post often and don't get too personal. But it's been fun being on here, connecting with some through PMs, Facebook, or even on a thread now and then. :)

Here is a shout out to you. I haven't see you about in a while. computerwaving.gif

It's natural to feel a little jealous. Sometimes when dh has attractive clients come in I have to remind myself to keep those jealous feelings under control

For some reason this made me think about the scene from Date Night where Steve Caroll kept asking Tina Fey why she remembered the particular real estate client and then Mark Wahlberg answered the door with no shirt on. You could rent that movie and watch all the scenes with Mark Wahlberg in them and cheer yourself up. :lol:

I could. Or I could just go look on like at pix of hot guys in kilts inakilt.gif

Or I could just watch Top Gear. That would do it for me too.

Today we went to lunch at a hole-in-the-wall Persian restaurant called Naan and Kabob, which was delicious, and my almost 3yo called the falafel "Cookies."

Then at Costco, a lovely little old lady was handing out samples of juice, saying, "Try this juice! It's pomeranian and blueberry flavor!" A quick glance at the label showed us it was actually made with pomegranate. Whew!

It might be deer.

I wish it were deer. We are in a fairly crowded subdivision surrounded by lots of busy streets. I feel like I'm in the middle of the country if I happen to see a rabbit :D

We do, however, have a carpload of Mockingbirds. I previously loved them because I really enjoy hearing the birds sing. I put feeders out for them and everything. Apparently, though, I have made them feel too welcome and they are now emptying my garden. Little twits. :glare: