Menu

Random things...

I made three large salads yesterday for various friends/family, so pretty much picked my greens clean. I had to send my kids to the local farm stand for tonight's salad. I felt like a failure.

You are not a failure. You were able to bring salad joy to others. :grouphug:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent yesterday taking care of two children whom I had never met.

The day started with a headbutt to my chest and ended ten long hours later with poopy pants.

You know those women who can love any child? They show affection, demonstrate patience, and ooze goodness all the livelong day? I am not one of those women.

I'm so there.

I asked Wolf to bring home something for supper. I don't know if I've picked up a bit of a bug, or gluten has snuck in somewhere (would have to be some sort of cross contamination issue) but I've been yucky since yesterday. Blah.

Instead, he wants to make goulash. Which, in reality, means that *I* end up making the goulash. Which defeats the purpose of asking him to pick up something on the way home.

Blah.

Today we went to lunch at a hole-in-the-wall Persian restaurant called Naan and Kabob, which was delicious, and my almost 3yo called the falafel "Cookies."

Then at Costco, a lovely little old lady was handing out samples of juice, saying, "Try this juice! It's pomeranian and blueberry flavor!" A quick glance at the label showed us it was actually made with pomegranate. Whew!

:lol:

In me defense, probably half of my post count is LOLing. Because I truly do. Maybe I am too easily amused? :leaving:

I abandoned my genealogy hobby when I learned two very important family facts:

2. On my Dad's side we learned two years ago that the family name isn't ours at all! Nope. A Native American ancestor four generations ago left Georgia with one name to go see kin in Oklahoma, came back a year later with a new name (my maiden name) and it 'took.' We had never known that. So all of the people of our last name that we'd tracked down for our family tree...aren't ours. It was a swiped name. The dude who signed the Declaration of Independence and helped to found Rhode Island is no relation. And great-great-great-uncle never even left a written record of the reason why he picked that name.

Yeah, genealogy is crap.

Okay, crazy, but we have a very similar thing on DH's side of the family! Not even that far back.....

Random things:

I cannot watch the scene in Hildago when his horse falls into the pit with the sharpened sticks....makes me sick to my stomach. You can blow up buildings, shoot people, etc. in movies but you cannot torture a horse because I lose it!

Faith

I don't remember that scene in Hildago, but there is a similar(ish) scene in War Horse that was just the absolute most torturous thing to watch, ever. I was not expecting it, had to hide my face, and just bawled. Not just "oh, how sad" bawling but "oh my goodness, I cannot stand it, that is the most horrible thing ever" bawling. I think in that movie it's even more so, because the rest of the movie is so NOT graphic. -shudder-

My mother is sick, and was in the hostpital for a few days, but is home now and doing fine. Not cancer, stroke, or heart attack, thankfully.

Two of my chickens died today of heat stroke. They got themselves caught in an odd area, and it was too late to save them when we found them. Very sad, but #Freerangeissues.

I made three large salads yesterday for various friends/family, so pretty much picked my greens clean. I had to send my kids to the local farm stand for tonight's salad. I felt like a failure.

I had a really nice time chatting about stir fry recipes with the shopkeeper at my local charcuteria. We both decided that marinated thinly sliced pork sirloin is pretty awesome.

I made a clam boil for dinner, but cooking pork and shellfish always makes me feel guilty, and I am not Jewish or Muslim. :tongue_smilie: yet New England clam boils are so delicious!

Wow. This is all about food.

I need a new hobby.

Glad that your mom is home & doing okay now.

I whole heartedly agree about the thinly sliced pork sirloin. YUM. We had that last night for dinner.

I've never made, or even had, a clam boil.

We processed our first chickens yesterday. I am presently making a chicken soup from the necks and it scares me!!!!!! :ohmy:

I was fine through the whole thing yesterday, but actually eating a bird I have raised has me a little freaked out!

That is awesome! It's my dream to have a little land and raise my own meat. I hear that to have the best broth, you have to include the feet. :w00t:

My random thing: went to tbe doctor today and learned that he did not aprove of my homeschooling. "But you are making sure that your kids are, um, around other kids, right?" No, I make sure we stay locked in the house 24/7. :glare:

I wouldn't go back. Life is too short to have to deal with that nonsense. My kids' pediatrician (and nurse practitioner at the same practice) used to give us web sites where we could download spider posters and stuff. You can find someone who not only doesn't give you trouble but actually thinks it's groovy! :thumbup:

About the Nutella... I'm probably not going to get the Mother of the Year award for this :tongue_smilie: but when my parents visited for Memorial Day weekend, my mom bought two tubs of Nutella. The kids were all over me for it and when the first one was gone, I told them that was it. They insisted there were two tubs and I said nope, sorry, it's all gone! By that time, it was all gone because while they had all been sharing the one (with me, incidentally :lol:), I had been eating the other one. :leaving:

Started potty training my ds and he had dry pants all day so far!

Would you mind sending him over here to have a convo with my DD2? We made a potty training attempt yesterday that ended in a fairly large amount of hidden piddle pools all around the house, DD7's bed peed in twice, and myself peed on once.

I put her in a pull up at noon :D

I wish it were deer. We are in a fairly crowded subdivision surrounded by lots of busy streets. I feel like I'm in the middle of the country if I happen to see a rabbit :D

We do, however, have a carpload of Mockingbirds. I previously loved them because I really enjoy hearing the birds sing. I put feeders out for them and everything. Apparently, though, I have made them feel too welcome and they are now emptying my garden. Little twits. :glare:

I am in a subdivision as well. They are all over my yard, the raccoons are particularly thuggish. They are always giving me the finger or flashing gang signs at me when they see my trashcans are locked up.

I want to know the educational value of Calvin & Hobbes. DH bought 4 of those books at Costco last week for DD. He insisted. I resisted. He won.

Dd giggles a lot reading them, but I tend to spend my money on real books, not comic books. I need the educational angle of this purchase.

I want to know the educational value of Calvin & Hobbes. DH bought 4 of those books at Costco last week for DD. He insisted. I resisted. He won.

Dd giggles a lot reading them, but I tend to spend my money on real books, not comic books. I need the educational angle of this purchase.

Have you READ Calvin and Hobbes? They are full of great vocabulary and bad ideas. Everything a child's book needs.

My son and his new bride are packing up his bedroom as I sit here typing. I am cooking one of their favorite meals...it is so sweet to watch them work together. Particularly glad I'm not the one running up 2 flights of stairs to his 3rd floor bedroom :) They are headed out to Houston in the morning. All I can think to do is feed them their favorite things (made their favorite scones for breakfast)...why is feeding them so important to me????

And my 2nd son has been emailing Texas A & M today about a possible transfer for spring 2013. He got a favorable response from the nuclear engineering undergraduate coordinator within a couple of hours . We're hoping that is a positive thing :). But it means we won't see him as often during each semester.

Worrying about ds#4 who is at scout camp this week. He texted me today that he is having a fine time. But he's the one I can imagine doing something rather stupid...so lots of prayers going up for him today.

Thinking about Julie in MN today as she and her family are saying their goodbyes to her husband, Shane. Julie has been a poster for many years who has helped me through a lot of questions, particularly about Worldviews courses and Petroleum Engineering (her son is a PE and my oldest just graduated with a PE degree).

Lots of bittersweet thoughts around here today...but it's still good...life keeps moving on...

This is our second attempt. The first was a couple months ago. Same type of scenario. This time we talked it up big and he gets a reward for being dry. So ready to be done with diapers. :001_smile: He is 2 and 9 months.

Would you mind sending him over here to have a convo with my DD2? We made a potty training attempt yesterday that ended in a fairly large amount of hidden piddle pools all around the house, DD7's bed peed in twice, and myself peed on once.

I put her in a pull up at noon :D

You are not a failure. You were able to bring salad joy to others. :grouphug:

Awww. That is sweet of you to say. :001_smile: I get frustrated when I have to buy food I am already growing. I do like to feed folks, and sometimes I run out. Next week, there will be lots more of my lettuce to cut. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Have you READ Calvin and Hobbes? They are full of great vocabulary and bad ideas. Everything a child's book needs.

:lol:

No wonder. DH is really sabotaging our summer with his insistence, which is extremely rare, except when he insisted on reading aloud Summerland. Everything is about Calvin these days.

Here is a shout out to you. I haven't see you about in a while. computerwaving.gif

Thanks! I'm here. I'm always here. And really, I feel kind of weird knowing all sorts of things about people here and being so shy on the internet that I delete most of my posts. So here I am, peeking out of my shell.

And I would choose Top Gear over kilt photos, but that's just me. You do what you gotta do!

Thanks! I'm here. I'm always here. And really, I feel kind of weird knowing all sorts of things about people here and being so shy on the internet that I delete most of my posts. So here I am, peeking out of my shell.

And I would choose Top Gear over kilt photos, but that's just me. You do what you gotta do!

I totally recognize you! You're a 'regular' to me.

Don't be shy! :)

I prefer Top Gear as well. I don't think anything has made me laugh so hard as that program.

Oh, Calvin & Hobbes is INCREDIBLE! I agree with Mrs. Mungo about vocabulary. These are some of the best purchases we've ever made.

Also, it's giving me great perspective into boys. All the times I thought C&H wasn't funny that day? Turns out that was boy humor. DS9 literally rolls around on his bed laughing, it's so funny to him. DD finds those particular cartoons less amusing but she still loves it. She has fallen to sleep to C&H every single night for months.

We dyed a purse of dd13's today. From peachy/coral to dark hot-pink. It looks soooo much better and didn't cost us a penny (we already had the supplies). :D

Now, I am dying dd5 a tank top in the left overs. Gotta love pink in the summer!

We dyed a purse of dd13's today. From peachy/coral to dark hot-pink. It looks soooo much better and didn't cost us a penny (we already had the supplies). :D

Now, I am dying dd5 a tank top in the left overs. Gotta love pink in the summer!

Ooo...I want a hot pink purse! And I am far from 13.

Oh, Calvin & Hobbes is INCREDIBLE! I agree with Mrs. Mungo about vocabulary. These are some of the best purchases we've ever made.

Also, it's giving me great perspective into boys. All the times I thought C&H wasn't funny that day? Turns out that was boy humor. DS9 literally rolls around on his bed laughing, it's so funny to him. DD finds those particular cartoons less amusing but she still loves it. She has fallen to sleep to C&H every single night for months.

Ok, I'm convinced. :D. I just needed some confirmation from some homeschooling mamas. I don't trust DH's claim that Calvin is essential - he should have just said the word VOCABULARY. He doesn't speak my kind of language.

:iagree: They are staples around here. I think my kids might have them memorized. They quote from Calvin and Hobbes constantly! We may have every C&H book available at this house. DH is a comic/graphic novel junkie. He owned most of them pre-children.

Where did my book go? Do any of you know? It's been missing for over two weeks now; I've practically torn the house apart looking for it. In desperation I offered the kids $10 bucks to the one who could find it. Nada. It's a bee book (The Beekeeper's Handbook), so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the hive. (sorry) :D Maybe one of you can make the psychic connection and save me from having to call Dionne Warwick! :lol:

Are there random things that you'd like to share, but seem to trivial to make a new thread about? Post them here!

Mine for today:

How you know you are raising military brats: they are watching a tv show in the other room and all of the sudden you hear them all shout, "there's no such thing as 2400! It goes back to 0000!!"

I had to ask about this. lol :D

My random thing:

I went to PT today and now I know why dh always smiles when he mentions the lady who does his PT. She is young and pretty. :glare: I feel petty about being a bit jealous, but didn't want to post a thread about how wrong my feelings are.

So now I've gotten it out. Thanks Mrs. M.

Our best PTs were like family. A good one is a gift!

Why am I the decider of dinner? My kids are vegetarians, my hubby, as far as I can tell can ony eat brown rice and salad and I rarely eat at all. How am I supposed to make a meal plan out of that and better yet why does it have to be me? Seems to me that since I eat less than everyone else it not a good idea to put me in charge of dinner. I obviously can't figure out what to feed myself. How am I supposed to figure out what you want to eat?

Lots of philosophy in Calvin. Commentary on modern society. Really. :001_smile:

If nothing else, Calvin's school experiences will make you and yours appreciate homeschooling...;)

I've been walking my son to VBS every day this week and Monday and Tuesday were hot. It's so hard to get the stroller around the monster crowds once I get to the church that I have been putting her in a Baby Bjorn to walk there and back. Between that, the underwire, and my son stopping to show me every bug, pinecone, and cool yard ornament I'm am miserable by the time we get home.

I've changed, had ice cream, and am MUCH more comfortable.

Hope you are too. ;)

Where did my book go? Do any of you know? It's been missing for over two weeks now; I've practically torn the house apart looking for it. In desperation I offered the kids $10 bucks to the one who could find it. Nada. It's a bee book (The Beekeeper's Handbook), so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the hive. (sorry) :D Maybe one of you can make the psychic connection and save me from having to call Dionne Warwick! :lol:

I don't know where you stand on these type things, but if you are desperate, ask for St. Anthony's intercession. He is the patron saint of finding lost things.

Calvin is deep. The educational value of those books knows no bounds.

Why oh why do I let my house get so very, very, very messy? The inlaws informed dh this afternoon that they are coming over on Sunday. DH is working nights until Fri. I would LOVE to get everything spic and span before dh gets home Fri morning so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Normally I would be a teeny bit irritated that the ILs didn't let me know or ask if we had plans. Instead I am elated that they want to do something for DS2's birthday and that FIL wants to help dh with his car. I am miffed with myself for letting the house get this messy. I have a problem with this. I will get the house clean and it will stay clean for a couple of weeks and then it goes downhill - Like a snowball, rolling out of control.

When we lived in Germany, we lived in the middle of beautiful vineyards. In the summer they shot off cannons every hour starting at 5 am to scare off the birds. Is that an option in your neighborhood?

I wish we could do this. My ds's would love it! I gave them permission to shoot their airsoft guns at the birds but those birds just know when we go out if it's for shooting or just being out and leave when it's prudent.

:iagree: Love C&H. Didn't have to buy the boys a copy--they just read mine. I had them all until someone lost one. :glare:

Ok, I'm convinced. :D. I just needed some confirmation from some homeschooling mamas. I don't trust DH's claim that Calvin is essential - he should have just said the word VOCABULARY. He doesn't speak my kind of language.

My favorite sequence in C&H is the snowmen. Dd loves those panels too.

Why oh why do I let my house get so very, very, very messy? The inlaws informed dh this afternoon that they are coming over on Sunday. DH is working nights until Fri. I would LOVE to get everything spic and span before dh gets home Fri morning so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Normally I would be a teeny bit irritated that the ILs didn't let me know or ask if we had plans. Instead I am elated that they want to do something for DS2's birthday and that FIL wants to help dh with his car. I am miffed with myself for letting the house get this messy. I have a problem with this. I will get the house clean and it will stay clean for a couple of weeks and then it goes downhill - Like a snowball, rolling out of control.

I think this is normal. Otherwise we would run out of things to do.

Ah shucks, you're all now making me regret I didn't buy all of the Calvin books at Costco. I thought buying 4 books was really going overboard on DH's part. The nerve of the guy to syphon money from real books to comic books. Now I hear there is philosophy, vocabulary, and so much more.

I did tell DH some time ago that he should create an account and start posting. He could have gotten some solid backing here and linked me to it and we could have avoided 4 arguments.

I like pretzels and Nutella. Have you tried that?

Oh no! Why did you mention this. Iwillnotbuynutellaiwillnotbuynutella...oh shoot, who am I kidding!

My random thing(s) today: I really want to start school soon, BUT we have baseball 4 mornings/week and I know by after lunch, the kids wouldn't be cooperative:lol:.

Also, I am SO happy to have found Khan Academy. It ROCKS:001_smile:!!

This morning, we made home-made sunscreen that smelled like mangoes, but I was too afraid to test it out today. I think tomorrow I'll give it a try on my arms. Hmm.

There is an unofficial board rule that if one uses a recipe to make something one has to post said recipe. Even if it isn't edible. :D:lol: