Menu

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has me going :001_huh: :lol: :smilielol5: and :ack2:.

Just over the weekend, I saw some very scruffy looking woman and her Dog Baby coming out of Kroger. Eeww!!

I sure wish stores would clamp down on these dogs being brought in. I think it's gross to bring them in stores, etc. A few weeks ago, some guy had his pitt bull in Lowe's. :confused:

Diane, I would have said something. Being a gracious host(ess) is one thing, but when it comes to hygiene issues that affect the rest of the people eating.... I wouldn't have been able to stop myself. I wouldn't have been nasty, but just matter-of-fact. I'm amazed at your self-control.

I would be as supportive as possible (really really supportive, even sending them a little themed doggie toy at holidays!) for the next 11 months and then when it's time to discuss next Memorial Day at your house, have dh let them know you're uncomfortable with the dog at the table, but you'd be happy to provide a comfy pillow for the Princess to recline on during dinner or whatever solution might work for them but keep darling doggy away from the table.

Wouldn't that just encourage the nuttiness? Where is the line between support and enabler?

I really would like to find that line - my brother & sil are "dog parents" and even having a human child hasn't changed that at all. They don't expect the dogs to eat at the table, though....

Wouldn't that just encourage the nuttiness? Where is the line between support and enabler?

:iagree: There is grief and there is nuttiness. Even an adored dog can be well disciplined. If this is grief, I'd care enough to sit down and talk to them (not if they were not close). People get going down a bizarre path and then it is the "new normal". Remember that old saw: You can lead the Pope to cannibalism if you just take small enough steps.

wow. I am a dog lover. I am a veterinary technician, a dog trainer, and let my dog sleep in the bed with me. I would NEVER let my dog eat at the table, let alone at someone else's house. ugh.

:iagree:ew ew ew. I would not have been as gracious as you, I would have been very direct with my disgust over that.

I keep coming back to this thread, shaking my head and giggling helplessly.

I mean, I *know* our new pup is gonna be a pretty spoiled princess. That's a forgone conclusion. I may even bend on my "no animals in my bed other than the ones I've married or birthed" rule.

Since reading this thread, I now have the image in my head of a Bordeuax, dressed in a pink tutu, w/a crown, sitting at the table, eating from a gold rimmed plate.

And now I need therapy.

:lol:

I keep thinking of this:

The next time you should just ask yourself What Would Lucy Do.

At this moment I am leaning towards, "I oughta slug you"

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Waaaaay toooooo funny! After nearly barfing about the baby poop in the car seat, this video was refreshing!

Thank you for such an entertaining thread, friends!

Blessings,

Lucinda

This thread has me going :001_huh: :lol: :smilielol5: and :ack2:.

Just over the weekend, I saw some very scruffy looking woman and her Dog Baby coming out of Kroger. Eeww!!

I sure wish stores would clamp down on these dogs being brought in. I think it's gross to bring them in stores, etc. A few weeks ago, some guy had his pitt bull in Lowe's. :confused:

I don't mind dogs in stores at all as long as they are well behaved and on a leash. I just don't want a dog sitting at my dinner table, eating with humans. And now that I think of it, I did see dogs in restaurants in Paris and it didn't bother me at all. You know why? Because they were well mannered and sat near their owner's feet UNDER the table. Even cultured French dogs know that they are dogs. LOL!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Unless it's a trained service animal, they have no business being in stores, etc.

The problem I have w/other animals being in public areas like that is there are simply too many untrained animals, and owners who are simply clueless/deliberately ignorant. Then it gives service animals a bad rep to boot.

I fully intend to have my Bordeaux particpate in a therapy dog program, making visits to hospitals, nursing homes, and hopefully start a 'reading buddy' program at the local ps. That being said, there's no WAY I would bring her into a store or restaraunt! And if I had *any* doubt about her behaviour, she wouldn't go, period, unless and until whatever behaviour I was concerned about had been fully and completely dealt w/.

I love animals. I do. But I totally don't understand this attitude that they're furry ppl, entitled to the rights and priviledges of humans. Until they grow thumbs, they're not entitled to be everywhere ppl are...and even then, we'll talk ;)

I think it's fine if they do it in their own home, but I don't think they should expect anyone else to put up with it.

Exactly. What they do in the privacy of the own home is not rude. What they impose on others is rude. Dogs are not, no matter how attached people are to them, human babies.

No ,this is not good manners, no you are not hopelessly clueless. I have had large dogs all my adult life. I never let them sit by the table - guests or no guests, while we are eating. I love my animals, I cry terribly when they die but they are animals and do not eat from the same tableware as people.

As far as hygiene - I cannot say if something gets passed around. Dogs have licked children all over and the kiddos seem none the worse for it but it is just yucky and ill-bred to expect to eat at another person's house and feed the dog at the table.

The last time we went to a Compassionate Friends meeting a woman had her little dog with her. The meeting was at a hospital even. In the cancer wing! :confused: She kept apologizing for bring dogface with her, but then added, "It's her birthday so I couldn't just leave her at home!" :glare: I so badly wanted to tell her to take dogface home but as I'm not the one running the meetings didn't feel right.

Normally I would totally agree with you...if they were not childless by choice. My MIL is grieving the fact that they are not having children, but my BIL and his wife are not. They have been living together for several years (although only married for a year) and both of them have expressed their lack of interest in having human children (they would interfere with their lifestyle). I should have made that point clear when explaining my MIL's response to the situation....my bad. Dear MIL likes to project her own emotions onto others...whether or not they're an accurate reflection of the other party's feelings. :lol: MIL thinks they're lying...because who wouldn't want to make her a grandma again if they had the chance to? :D

Thanks for pointing out another view...it is a good idea to be sensitive to family members if they're having a bit of a struggle with something that might not be so obvious on the surface.

ohhhh, I guess I leaped to a conclusion there, sorry!

I confess that I dress my little doggy up. She has a warm coat, I made her a hideous sweater, and I just bought her a raincoat. So far, I've only stuck with practical garments, but I have every intention of putting her in tutus and party dresses. As soon as I can get her to tolerate them without shredding them.

Because she's my toy and I want to. I like playing dress up. Little dogs are WAY more fun than dolls.

I confess that I dress my little doggy up. She has a warm coat, I made her a hideous sweater, and I just bought her a raincoat. So far, I've only stuck with practical garments, but I have every intention of putting her in tutus and party dresses. As soon as I can get her to tolerate them without shredding them.

Because she's my toy and I want to. I like playing dress up. Little dogs are WAY more fun than dolls.

Really hoping that's a joke...

I don't mind dogs in stores at all as long as they are well behaved and on a leash. I just don't want a dog sitting at my dinner table, eating with humans. And now that I think of it, I did see dogs in restaurants in Paris and it didn't bother me at all. You know why? Because they were well mannered and sat near their owner's feet UNDER the table. Even cultured French dogs know that they are dogs. LOL!

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree:

I am fine with dogs and quirky owners who treat them like people. But, I come from a British/Canadian family on my dad's side and they love their dogs and their quirks. I am fine with a well behaved dog sitting under the table, even in a restaurant. I don't mind them in stores on a leash. I had many professors who brought their dog to class and it didn't bother me. My dentist has his dog in the office and I find it endearing. It's a little mini-dachshund and is sooo teensy and sweet. But, it is old and just sits in the corner. The kids love going to the dentist because they can pet his 'puppy' when they are done.

But, not eating at the table.

ICKKK! Totally unacceptable.

I love my dog, but she is an animal and eats from a bowl on the floor. She is not in the room when we eat at the table. Ever.

They put her bowl on my table. Right when they walked in the door. I did ask SIL to set it on the floor. Even my MIL flinched at a doggie dish on the table. :lol:

They put her bowl on my table. Right when they walked in the door. I did ask SIL to set it on the floor. Even my MIL flinched at a doggie dish on the table. :lol:

Oh, GAG! Did SIL remove it? I know you'd said they fed her at the table, but didn't realize her BOWL was there...GAG GAG GAG

Blessings,

Lucinda

My problem is that it isn't allowed, yet people flagrantly ignore the rules/laws rather than act to have them changed. I liken them to speeders and stop sign runners. The rules are meant for others, not them.

In all my times in France I have never seen a dog in a grocery store, shopping mall, or a home & garden store. And never *inside* a restaurant. Outside on the sidewalk cafes? Yes. But not inside those places. Does that mean it doesn't happen? Of course not. I just haven't seen it in my time there.

It just really bothers me that this has become so widespread here and that people are using the 'service dog' guise to get away with it.

I do not want dogs (I'm referring to 'pets', not honest-to-goodness trained service dogs) in restaurants, grocery stores, or places I shop. Period.

Unless it's a trained service animal, they have no business being in stores, etc.

The problem I have w/other animals being in public areas like that is there are simply too many untrained animals, and owners who are simply clueless/deliberately ignorant. Then it gives service animals a bad rep to boot.

I fully intend to have my Bordeaux particpate in a therapy dog program, making visits to hospitals, nursing homes, and hopefully start a 'reading buddy' program at the local ps. That being said, there's no WAY I would bring her into a store or restaraunt! And if I had *any* doubt about her behaviour, she wouldn't go, period, unless and until whatever behaviour I was concerned about had been fully and completely dealt w/.

I love animals. I do. But I totally don't understand this attitude that they're furry ppl, entitled to the rights and priviledges of humans. Until they grow thumbs, they're not entitled to be everywhere ppl are...and even then, we'll talk ;)

:iagree: What she said. I have a dog. She is gentle, loving, and small. She comes with us to the soccer field which is at a PARK. I would never *dream* of bringing her to Lowe's or to the grocery store. She is not a person.

A thousand Emily Post gags. I can't even think about the germs on the utensils.

I have issues with humans not washing hands before cooking and licking their fingers while preparing food (eg, guacamole--yes, ppl have done this in my kitchen and gotten right back to work!:001_huh:), so I can only imagine my shock and revulsion at a dog licking things at my table. (and I grew up with dogs and love them)

Shudder.