Menu

Oh, these comments remind me of a guy I briefly dated. He will forever be known as "stinky dog boy." His dog was of the large and smelly variety, and he used to feed it food to make it even smellier because it was good for whatever sport the dog was NOT good at. One date he took me on was a hunt test (dog failed miserably - what's a bird???) and the dog was ticked that I had the front passenger seat. His nasty drooly breath was in my face the entire time. He lived in the living room and it smelled like a horse barn, which did not make for a romantic setting as Mr. Dog-Boy seemed to expect! Blah! BUT I will say that his dog-baby was not invited to the table, at least while I was there. (I could smell him the whole time, but at least we didn't have to share a plate.) Some people!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stipulate in any future invitations that "Dog Baby" is not invited. If they take it personally and feel that they are not invited because of this, that's on them, and you can eat peacefully without feeling like you're going to hurl.

I love my furbabies, but furbabies are NOT people and they do not rank a seat at the dining room table...EVER.

Oh and PS, my sister is in her 40s and childless, and she breeds German shepherds. She loves her dogs too. But she'll be the first to tell you that dogs are in no way equal to people. I agree with the pp who wonders if your bil/sil are a little "out of reality."

wow. I am a dog lover. I am a veterinary technician, a dog trainer, and let my dog sleep in the bed with me. I would NEVER let my dog eat at the table, let alone at someone else's house. ugh.

:iagree: with all but the vet tech and dog trainer thing.

And in addition to that, I put the dogs in a down stay several feet away from the table while we are eating in an attempt to train them that they are not welcome near the table while we are dining.

Or a stodgy old lady clinging to etiquette from days of yore? :lol: I'm perfectly willing to accept that I am, if that's the case.

Here's the situation. Some of you may remember my BIL (dh's brother) and his new wife who have a dog baby (teacup yorkie) in lieu of a child. Dog Baby goes everywhere and does everything with Mommy and Daddy. Last year they stayed away from our Memorial Day get together because we would not lock up our cats so that Dog Baby could visit (Anyone ever tried to lock cats in a room? They shred the carpets trying to dig themselves out.).

Anyhow, this summer they said they would just hold Dog Baby on their laps the entire time they were here. Fine. Whatever.

So, the weather on Memorial Day weekend is the usual cold, rainy nasty mix Utah offers up each year. The meal takes place in our home instead of outside.

Dog Baby sits at my dining table with Mommy and Daddy, eating off their plates and licking up morsels from said table. BIL feeds Dog Baby from his hands, then proceeds to touch the other serving utensils, etc. on the table.

Is this acceptable to have your DOG eat at the table when you are at someone else's home. I have a feeling Miss Manners is loudly screaming, "no" in the background, but a couple of other ladies with whom I am acquainted have assured me that if their dog child was met with disdain when they were at another's home, that person would be "dead to them." :001_huh:

What say the Hive? Rude to have your dog sit on your lap at someone else's dinner table or perfectly acceptable and I'm rude if I request that Dog Baby remain (*gasp*) on the floor? :lol:

Completely and utterly *gross*

Do what others have said and specify "no animals/fur children" on future invites...

I'm afraid I'd have to go ahead and be dead to them. There are limits!

Hey Dianne, next time you're invited to their place, bring your cats. When they turn you away at the door... precedent set.

Anything that licks it's b*tt, shouldn't a plate!

:iagree::lol:

I have a feeling Miss Manners is loudly screaming, "no" in the background, but a couple of other ladies with whom I am acquainted have assured me that if their dog child was met with disdain when they were at another's home, that person would be "dead to them." :001_huh:

I'd have to be dead to them. And their dog wouldn't be welcome at my funeral either.

That makes me gag just thinking about the dog at the table. Gross. :ack2:

:iagree: I am literally gagging thinking of having to put up with that. Nasty! :ack2::ack2::ack2: Someone is not living in the real world and it's not the OP!

I like the idea of insisting their dog needs to disappear so they can host your cats that need their own fine china at the table. :lol:

I'd have to be dead to them. And their dog wouldn't be welcome at my funeral either.

:iagree::lol:

I don't think you're behind the times except for being shocked at what appears to be a growing trend. You are absolutely current on the etiquette of graciousness in the face of guests' nonsense.

I'm another huge dog-lover. Our dog has full access to every part of our house and furniture, and sleeps in our bed. The keyword there, in case you missed it, is "our". We don't force other people to host her in their homes and she certainly is not invited to their dinner table! How.rude!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this!

I do not understand this trend where EVERYONE must love your dog and treat it like a person. I truly, honestly, do not care what you do with your dogs in your own house, but WHY must they come to MY house and be treated like royalty? Sooooooooooo weird and rude.

Best moment of the night: BIL was going on about Dog Baby's new dress and how she'd gotten a spot on it right before her photo session (!) and how they were hoping it wouldn't show in the final photos. DH looks at his brother and says, "Who are you?" :smilielol5: I laughed so hard I snorted.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy...this time. ;)

Now that I'm catching up, this thread has me in tears! :lol: LOL - I don't think my DH hardly notices if my daughter has a new dress on let alone a dog. Maybe BIL needs an intervention!? I surely do hope that those Dog Baby pictures worked out and they don't have to set up an emergency photo shoot! :D

I think my cats were just baffled, because Dog Baby barked, but she was wearing clothes. They weren't sure what the heck she was.

That. Poor. Dog. :lol:

I bet dogs that are forced to live like humans are the laughing stock of the animal world! How completely undignified for those creatures. They must have been *really* bad in a former life! :lol:

:eek::eek::ack2:

Not. in. this. lifetime.

You are more gracious than I, as the doggie would have been out the door, and those who felt the need would join it.

And if I were "dead" to anybody because their ANIMAL could not eat at my dinner table, it would be really superduper to me.

I am tired of seeing dog babies at the grocery store, restaurants, movie theaters or any place you can imagine.

One dog mommy I know brags about buying a "service animal" harness for her dog baby on ebay. Whenever someone at a restaurant or grocery store objects to her bringing in the dog baby she whips out the harness & tells them she will sue for discrimination if she can not bring in her service animal. She even has an official looking card in her wallet that she made up that says she needs the service animal for comfort reasons. She thinks it is hilarious that everyone backs down to her threats.

Needless to say she has never been invited to my house for a meal.

Amber in SJ

Once when visiting my extended family, my aunt picked up her dog's bowl of half-finished food because she didn't want the other dogs that were present to eat it, and put it down on the table right next to where I was eating. The smell of wet dog food made me get up and stand at the counter to finish. She asked me why I was standing. D'oh. :glare: Her little dog later bit my 4 year old.

I love my brother but every time he visits he lets his dog lick the plates which I find disgusting, even if they are going in the dishwasher. This is at my mom's house so it's up to her to speak up and she doesn't. However, I let my cat lick my ice cream bowl all throughout my childhood and never thought a thing of it, apparently I have higher standards now. :tongue_smilie:

Dh pointed out that none of our real children are allowed to lick the table either. :lol:

MIL was not amused. :D....

I think my cats were just baffled, because Dog Baby barked, but she was wearing clothes. They weren't sure what the heck she was.

:lol::lol::lol:

You know, I think I've come to realize that it really isn't DOGS that I dislike, it is idiot dog OWNERS! Like my (thankfully) former neighbors and their free-range mastiff. There is a very short list of dogs I like, and coincidentally, it goes along with the short list of dog-owners that I like.

(I am not anti-dog, I am anti-idiot, especially if the idiot has a poorly trained pet.)

maybe next time you can feed both DogBaby and DogParents from a dog bowl on the kitchen floor? :rolleyes:

Something is mentally displaced in them. Feel sorry for them, but no more dinners. Yuck.

(And here, just to make you feel a little less disgusted: try watching a full grown woman ENCOURAGE her little dog to come lap her baby's diarrhea out of the carseat. Dog did.)

Something is mentally displaced in them. Feel sorry for them, but no more dinners. Yuck.

(And here, just to make you feel a little less disgusted: try watching a full grown woman ENCOURAGE her little dog to come lap her baby's diarrhea out of the carseat. Dog did.)

Oh. My. Word.

Now my rice pasta is seriously in danger of reappearing. Thanks so much.

*gack*

:svengo:

O.M.G. That has to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard, and I'm a nurse! I might puke.

I've only read the original post but I would say noooo way! I had a hard time eating with my grandmother last time I was in TX because she had her dog on her lap and fed her off her plate the entire time. :glare: She was such a sweet quiet little dog but I was just trying not to gag.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:Love it! This is the new Hive way of establishing firm boundaries...we send "In Memorial of what once was our relationship that is now deceased" cards to all of our lethal relatives. Shoot, one could be extra nice about it and send a "sympathy" bouquet from proflowers.com along with the card!! :D

Faith

Hmmm... There's someone I need to send flowers to. :p

I agree that dogs are not allowed at the table but I do have to be different.....

My heart goes out to them even during their slightly deranged reaction to the heartbreak of childlessness. I wouldn't tell them their dog can't come over and I certainly wouldn't let dh make fun of them for the pictures and outfits and stuff. I would try to support them in this bizzaro stage of grief they're going through.

I would be as supportive as possible (really really supportive, even sending them a little themed doggie toy at holidays!) for the next 11 months and then when it's time to discuss next Memorial Day at your house, have dh let them know you're uncomfortable with the dog at the table, but you'd be happy to provide a comfy pillow for the Princess to recline on during dinner or whatever solution might work for them but keep darling doggy away from the table.

Yep, they're nuts, yep, dogs at the table are disgusting and this won't be tolerated. But they are family in the process of grieving so maybe there is a solution here that doesn't involve dining with doggie or totally alienating them. If you can find ways to be supportive about the dog baby before the concern is brought up, there is a hope of working this out.

It sounds like you were being extremely polite in not saying anything, but I would have spoken up in my own home. This is pretty silly behaviour for two grown adults to do in someone else's home. A gentle reminder that dogs don't eat at the table in this house would probably have ended it, though they might not come back again.

:iagree:

I would have HAD to say something. Ick.

I agree that dogs are not allowed at the table but I do have to be different.....

My heart goes out to them even during their slightly deranged reaction to the heartbreak of childlessness. I wouldn't tell them their dog can't come over and I certainly wouldn't let dh make fun of them for the pictures and outfits and stuff. I would try to support them in this bizzaro stage of grief they're going through.

I would be as supportive as possible (really really supportive, even sending them a little themed doggie toy at holidays!) for the next 11 months and then when it's time to discuss next Memorial Day at your house, have dh let them know you're uncomfortable with the dog at the table, but you'd be happy to provide a comfy pillow for the Princess to recline on during dinner or whatever solution might work for them but keep darling doggy away from the table.

Yep, they're nuts, yep, dogs at the table are disgusting and this won't be tolerated. But they are family in the process of grieving so maybe there is a solution here that doesn't involve dining with doggie or totally alienating them. If you can find ways to be supportive about the dog baby before the concern is brought up, there is a hope of working this out.

Normally I would totally agree with you...if they were not childless by choice. My MIL is grieving the fact that they are not having children, but my BIL and his wife are not. They have been living together for several years (although only married for a year) and both of them have expressed their lack of interest in having human children (they would interfere with their lifestyle). I should have made that point clear when explaining my MIL's response to the situation....my bad. Dear MIL likes to project her own emotions onto others...whether or not they're an accurate reflection of the other party's feelings. :lol: MIL thinks they're lying...because who wouldn't want to make her a grandma again if they had the chance to? :D

Thanks for pointing out another view...it is a good idea to be sensitive to family members if they're having a bit of a struggle with something that might not be so obvious on the surface.

I confess to plenty of crazy dog-lover behavior... but never in my life could I imagine feeding a dog from someone else's table when we're guests in their home.

Diane, I don't think you're old fashioned or behind the times at all here. I think if anything you were more gracious than I ever could be. But the rest of the world (outside the Hive, naturally :D) has clearly gone mad.

:svengo: :ack2: