Menu

Help me choose a biblical baby girl name! :)

Which of these names do you like the best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of these names do you like the best?

• Abigail
    • Naomi
    • Lydia
    • Julia
    • Bethany

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love Abigail too. I guess my only reluctance is that it's pretty popular right now.

I think at this moment I'm leaning toward Lydia. Maybe Lydia Claire? Lydia Faith? Lydia Evangeline?

Want to give me some middle name suggestions for Lydia? (Pretty please!) The middle name wouldn't have to be a Bible name.

My hoped for combination with Lydia is "Lydia Elizabeth" (because that is my middle name, I LOVE IT. I love the meaning "consecrated to God" and I love how the two flow.

My favorite girls' name in the Bible is Jemimah (one of Job's daughters), but in the US people only associate it with pancakes, so we didn't use it.

I've always loved the name Jemimah too.

I actually liike Hadassah (Esther's Hebrew name) but it probably would be weird around here.

Lydia is pretty - just very common, as most of the names on the list. Naomi is getting more common I think.

I've always loved the name Jemimah too.

I actually liike Hadassah (Esther's Hebrew name) but it probably would be weird around here.

Lydia is pretty - just very common, as most of the names on the list. Naomi is getting more common I think.

Jemimah is pretty. Hadassah is an interesting option!

I don't mind if the name is somewhat common. I guess I just don't want the name to be in the top 5 or 10 ideally.

I like Lydia. We were just reading about her in the book of Acts--I think she was the first European convert, but I'm not sure.

However, Lydia is our cat's name, so we couldn't go there. :D

Dd likes Julia. I've never cared for it, but I do think it's fine. All the other names on your list are pretty, too.

My dd is named Mary. It can mean "bitter," but it can also mean "hope of change." :D We just loved the sweet and wholesome image it conjures.

Lydia is my all time favorite but dh had met some tattooed, multi-pierced girl with that name before we got married and would never consider it.

Have you thought of Leah? Elizabeth? Judith?

I also love Lydia....Elizabeth is my all time favorite girls name....

Hannah is another fav but over used lately......Love Leah.....

Love Bible names. :)

Guest jandamommy

My daughter's name is a twist on Jemima......it's Jemma. She is just 18 months and I get compliments all the time on her name!!!

Deborah is also a possibility. Is pretty, Biblical, and not too "out there".

Deborah had her own palm tree - fittingly called the palm tree of Deborah (Judges 4:5, but also see Genesis 35:8) - was a prophetess, and was probably married to a man named Lappidoth, although since the Hebrew text of verse 4 only states that she was a woman from or of Lappidoth, it might also have been that she simply came from a town named Lappidoth (says BDB Theological Dictionary). No town called Lappidoth is ever mentioned in the Bible, but then, no husband named Lappidoth either.

When Deborah and Barak march out against Jabin's general Sisera, she also becomes a war hero (Judges 4 & 5).

The name Deborah comes from the root dabar, meaning to speak or pronounce. It's also where the phrase "Word of God" comes from, and is identical to the word Deborah, meaning bee. For the vast extent of the meaning of the root dbr see our article on the name Dabar.

Blessings,

Angela

Abigail is an extremely common name among Christians these days. It seems like every church has three little Abigails and five little Joshuas running around. I would go with Lydia or Naomi because those are known but not overused (yet) and they make people think of the Bible. Also, I really like the story of Naomi. I know a woman named "Naomi Ruth" and think that's so cool.

How it's spelled is dependent on which Bible you pick up :)

You know what, if I hadn't put that last part in there, someone would have been sure to point out that my daughter's name is not spelled the same as it is in the Bible.

I can't say one thing right here. :confused:

Jemimah is pretty. Hadassah is an interesting option!

I don't mind if the name is somewhat common. I guess I just don't want the name to be in the top 5 or 10 ideally.

In my area, Naomi is a VERY popular name right now. In my little circle, I know 3 Naomis under the age of two.

Of the choices you gave, I like Naomi best and really like the meaning 'Beautiful, pleasant, delightful.' It's a name I can imagine on a girl at all ages, too. You know, sometimes a name seems very little-girly or old-ladyish ... this one seems to fit all the seasons of a woman's life very nicely.

I forgot about Susannah!:001_smile:

I think my only reluctance would be that she might have to hear people singing "Oh, Susannah ... Oh, don't you cry for me ..." all the time. Anyone here with that name who could confirm or deny this? :)

One of my twin dds is Susannah Elizabeth; no one sings to her except her grandpa, and he's allowed. :001_smile: I love the story of Susannah in the Bible.

Actually, I've always thought Sapphira was a beautiful and biblical name. But somehow no one ever uses it.

Although it appears in the Bible, I think most Christians shy away from that name, along with Delilah (also an extremely beautiful name) because they were 'bad girls.' Kind of like no one wants to name their boy Hitler, no matter how nice they may think the name itself is. Walk into church after the baby's born and announce her name is Sapphira or Delilah and just watch the eyebrows go up all over the place. ;) You'd think Christians would be above all that somehow, but I guess the majority just aren't. If they were, I'm sure there'd be a whole lot more Sapphiras and Delilahs running around than there currently are!

When we were expecting our last one, the girl name we had picked out was Jacinth - the name of a precious stone in the Bible. So that's the one I'm personally partial to, of course. :)

Our other children all have names from the Bible: names that are easily identified as such. (Unlike, say, Jason which is mentioned in the Bible, but I don't think it's generally associated with the Bible.)

I really like Julia, but I think it's the only one that's not obviously a Bible name. I'm still not sure if I would like that.

Hmmm... must keep thinking! :001_smile:

We had this same problem. AND our last name is incredibly short and not at all soft. AND I'm 5'10" and my husband's huge, so I wanted something super feminine and most Biblical girls names aren't that feminine (except for Sarah, Deborah, Rebecca and Elizabeth, which all belong to my mom and sisters... haha) My son's name is SUPER Biblical.

Anyhow, I went with Gabrielle. I tell her she's named after Gabriel. That was a name we considered before we knew she was to be a she.

Maybe you could find a male Biblical name and alter it? Noelle, Michaela, Davina?

Although it appears in the Bible, I think most Christians shy away from that name, along with Delilah (also an extremely beautiful name) because they were 'bad girls.' Kind of like no one wants to name their boy Hitler, no matter how nice they may think the name itself is. Walk into church after the baby's born and announce her name is Sapphira or Delilah and just watch the eyebrows go up all over the place. ;) You'd think Christians would be above all that somehow, but I guess the majority just aren't. If they were, I'm sure there'd be a whole lot more Sapphiras and Delilahs running around than there currently are!

When we were expecting our last one, the girl name we had picked out was Jacinth - the name of a precious stone in the Bible. So that's the one I'm personally partial to, of course. :)

What? You don't think Jezebel will make a come back? :confused:

'Dido' is biblical :D

So, are there any names here that seem too unusual sounding? For instance, are Naomi and Lydia names that some people will not have heard of?

Thanks so much! :001_smile:

I don't think either Naomi or Lydia are all that uncommon. Dd9 has a friend with the name Naomi, and we also have a family friend with the name of Lydia (she is 12 or 13 yrs old). I think they are both beautiful names along with the others you chose. I know I'm probably not much help, but good luck. I hope you find the perfect name for your baby. :001_smile:

My name is Lydia, and I have very rarely met another Lydia. Here are my two biblically-named sisters' and my first and middle names:

Lydia Grace

Miriam Rebecca

Rachel Elizabeth

Popularity seems almost regional. For example, when my oldest son was born, I found four other kids with his name within a year in the same city (and his name hasn't ever made the top 100 list) that were under two years old. But, when I moved, I didn't meet anyone with that name.

My name is Lydia, and I have very rarely met another Lydia. Here are my two biblically-named sisters' and my first and middle names:

Lydia Grace

Miriam Rebecca

Rachel Elizabeth

Popularity seems almost regional. For example, when my oldest son was born, I found four other kids with his name within a year in the same city (and his name hasn't ever made the top 100 list) that were under two years old. But, when I moved, I didn't meet anyone with that name.

Lydia Grace is very pretty!

May I ask how much you like your name? :001_smile:

I like Naomi pronounced.... "Nie omi" :) I like all of your names.... I do know that the meaning of Bethany sets some off of it... (poor house) But, it's beautiful, in my opinion. I know a little girl who was named "Bethany" and they changed it... due to Gothard influence. They "renamed" her Mary Beth. (so they must have been ok with "bitter"?) ;)

Bethany doesn't mean "poor house" - it means "house of figs"

I have an Abigail Elizabeth.

Some other good girlie Bible names are Leah, Rachel and Susanna.

I forgot about Susannah!:001_smile:

I think my only reluctance would be that she might have to hear people singing "Oh, Susannah ... Oh, don't you cry for me ..." all the time. Anyone here with that name who could confirm or deny this? :)

My oldest girl is Susannah Ruth. Never gets harrassed with the song. Though she does like the song. We wanted to preempt "Susie" as a nickname, so we called her Anna Ruth as a baby. Susannah just seemed like so much name for a less than 5 lb preemie.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Julia, though I have a rather lot of options in my signature. :D

Julia and Lydia were both on our short list for Olivia. (So was Hadassah but that didn't stand a chance with DH, lol.)

Daniella is obviously a feminine form of Daniel. Olivia is derived from symbolism of the olive (tree) in the Bible. However, Olivia is dreadfully popular and I wouldn't have used it but we couldn't come to an agreement and well, yada, yada.

I think at this moment I'm leaning toward Lydia. Maybe Lydia Claire? Lydia Faith? Lydia Evangeline?

Want to give me some middle name suggestions for Lydia? (Pretty please!) The middle name wouldn't have to be a Bible name.

ETA: I love Naomi, maybe the best of all of them, but I think it sounds a little funny with our last name. It just sounds forced or stilted or something.

Middle Names - These are ours but I think our tastes run similarly.

Joy

Elizabeth (Her sister is named after her.)

Grace

Kristine (family name)

Faith

Hope

Serene

And I have to tell you, we are running slim on girl names, lol. Hope it helps!

Edited by BlsdMama

I love my name. I remember wanting to change it to "Mary" when I was 4 or 5, but that was the only time I didn't like it.

Although "Lydia" is not particularly common, most people can sound it out and usually pronounce it correctly. The most common mispronunciation I get is "Linda".

Also, "Lydia" is a name used in many other cultures, so I have had more foreign friends be familiar with it (they knew someone with the name) than Americans.