Menu

What did you learn today?

I learned that Joann Fabric in my town does not have an entrance in the front of the store. So, if you ever happen to visit here, don't park in the front in a rainstorm (assuming there's an entrance, of course), put money in the meter, get out of your car, and THEN find you have to run around the block to the rear entrance. You WILL look like a drowned rat by the time you are ready to shop.

That is all.

I learned that it is very expensive when a 6 3/8" long nail hits your van with enough force to punch a hole and then stay there until you pull it out after you get to your destination. :glare:

$710, to be exact.

At least it didn't hit my tire and cause a blowout.

I learned that other countries evidently don't have a Pledge of Allegiance like we do. A dutch woman was telling me today that having our children say the pledge every day reminded her of Nazi Germany....mindless indoctrination and all that. She tells her children they shouldn't say it until they understand it.

I guess other countries have their national anthems but they don't have their children repeat anything like our pledge.

Certainly gave me something to think about.

I learned that turtles like crab flavored potato chips.

I learned that there is no good reason to delay filling out a claim for damage done to stuff during a military move, and that it won't actually get any easier to pull together if I put it off.

I also learned that my older sons can completely clean the van by themselves. Yeah sons.

Well - I met my first person from this board. Bonnie in VA is very tan! And I live in Florida and am pale!

It was very cool because I am in Virginia visiting my best friend - posted about diapers - Bonnie said she'd mail them to me - but I happen to be right around the corner from her!

I also learned that my best friend's 4yo dd has clothes that are dry clean or hand wash only and if they get machine washed and dried they will shrink. I was just trying to help.....

Someone tried to describe to my husband how offensive it is to have a neighbor (on her country road) who has "grass you tie with a string" in his "yard."

So I learned not everyone knows the least bit about hay or fields.

I learned that I really dislike gardening, which would explain why I just am not getting the hang of it, huh? :tongue_smilie:

The sea shanty, "Leave her, Johnny, Leave her" will make my 4yo cry. Gah. That was so pathetic and heartwrenching! But what a heart on that boy!

I learned that the right book for an 8yo will turn that whole reading thing around in a heartbeat (knew this, just needed a friendly reminder!)

I learned that if you give a child blank sheet music and unlimited time to play with the piano, you get neat results.

Same thing with another child if you give him a protractor and blank paper.

I learned, much to the surprise of the nice young man at Menards, that 200 sq ft of laminate flooring, trim, quarter round and lining will fit neatly into the back of my Scion with room to spare.

I learned that no matter how ugly your sofa is, someone on freecycle will want it.

I learned that our missing library book, which had been missing for 2 months, was in the bedroom of the child who wasn't able to read it! It was face down in a shoe box with two other books, a dirty sock and some legos piles on top. Go figure!

I learned that children and shopping carts don't mix. (OK! OK! I ALREADY knew that! I've been a mom for 17 yrs. I'm just a little slow in 'getting it') :D

While winding down from the grocery trip (which I had taken the youngest 4 of the 6 along with me), DH and I were watching Grenovate and he immediately pointed out that they were using the wrong ladder improperly for the Air Handler installation (DH is a master HVAC tech). So I learned that you are not suppose to lean unfolded fold-out ladders up against the wall, you are suppose to use some special ladder (Forgive me I have forgotten the technical name. Please remember I had just gotten back from mega grocery shopping with 4 kids:svengo:) with special grippy stuff on the feet and rungs for leaning up against the walls.:D

I also learned that it would take us over 30 years to recoop the cost of the equipment needed to go off the grid. So we will have to continue paying the electric man until Ed MacMahon finally makes it to our house.:ack2: