Menu

2012-2013 Choices...

What are your accelerated kiddos doing next year? I hope to stick to this:

Dd9:

Bible

TT Alg 1 (finish)+ MUS Alg 1 (finish) + Cybershala online

Landry English 102 online (MCT level 2 plus random lit)

Science Fusion modules + ps science class 2 hrs/wk + OMSI chem lab/class + EiE + homegrown electronics

Chinese history/geo

Mandarin class/tutor/BetterChinese

Piano

Voice

Tennis

4-H Lego Robotics club/team

Dd8:

CLE Bible

TT6, SM3b/4a, KTF, Beast 3b

SWR/Spelling City

WWE 3/WWW 3/IEW SWA videos

Chinese history/geo

Aha!Science, ps science class 2x/wk, MPH

Piano

Violin/Orchestra

Art school

Tennis

I'd love to see what you're doing.

:bigear:

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

DD7-DD wants to do a lot of contests and the like next year, so I'm skewing things that way. I'm not sure, for example, if we'll end up doing much with CL at all, or if she'll simply spend the year working on the Exploratory Latin Exam syllabus. Similarly, if we end up spending the entire year of literature and history on world Mythology for the National Mythology exam, I'll feel pretty good.

LA-Sonlight Core 6/AO6 readers, MCT Town, Draw and Write through History/Ancients, Spelling Bee Prep, National Mythology Exam prep.

History-See LA, plus Glencoe World History as a Spine since DD's already read SOTW, National Mythology Exam Prep

World Explorers Co-op (Geography plus some crafts, food, music, etc-mostly a little fun social time).

Science-Prentice Hall Science Explorer Earth Science/CK12 Middle School Earth Science Honors, Lab Science class (NASA/Space Science/Physics)

Math-Pre-Algebra, with Mathletics, Singapore IP 6/CWP6, LoF Pre-Algebra, CK12 Introductory Algebra. Continental Math League, Logic

Languages-Teach them Spanish Gr 4, McGraw Hill Lectura Gr 2 (Spanish language reading series), Cambridge Latin, Athenaze, Exploratory Latin Exam prep.

Piano/music literature, Dance classes, Gymnastics, rec cheer team

DD wants to have a Mythology study group at our house for the National mythology exam, and I have several parents who are interested-not necessarily in the exam, but in having the kids read, discuss, act out, and generally explore mythology together. I think that would be a really good thing for her socially. We're also trying to put together a First Lego League team for next year.

DD7

Writing Strands 2

KISS grammar

AAS 5

Reading Comprehension from Catholic Heritage Curricula

Wordly Wise 3000

Literature -- I still need to make a book list

LoF decimals and percents

LoF pre-algebra

AoPS pre-algebra

RS4K Astronomy and Geology pre level 1

History Pockets Ancients + SOTW 1

Learn Spanish with Grace

Image of God 3

Bible Timeline Adventure

Meet the Masters

The Story of the Orchestra

There is very little chance we stick with all of that! But I like to over-plan. We tend to drop a few things and then pick them up again in Feb or March.

He does Jujitsu and Boy Scouts. We'd like to get him in chess and Lego clubs, but we are moving, so we'll have to see what our options are.

I'm also starting PK with DD4. She's not accelerated. So weird after DS, who taught himself to read at 3 and clearly grasped multiplication and division by 4. But, hey, every kid is different! She'll be doing ETC, Spanish, Bible timeline, read alouds, and possibly LoF apples. Right now we're working on writing numbers and basic quantity skills. So we'll see when she's ready. She'll also do lots of games and busy bags, because even though SHE thinks she needs books to be learning, I know she will still learn more from playing! She does gymnastics.

And somewhere in there, I'll have to wrangle DD2 and DS, who turns 1 in August. Yikes!

Edited by nova147

DS8

AOPS algebra, with online Video and NEM

Science - MrQ and RS4K Physics, depends on where he on algebra, I may introduce algebra based Physics

History - DS also will be done reading SOTW but I think I am going to make him read to his sister and we will do activity this time around

WWE4

reading-- still need to finalize the book list...

violin

Tennis/Soccer/Skiing depends on season

DD4

Math: Miquon green/blue+SM2 no IP/CWP

Reading: HOP master reader

AAS1

WWE1, just narration

Piano

ice skate/swimming/skiing depends on season

Edited by jennynd

DD8

Math: Math Mammoth 4, probably part of 5, may continue with Beast Academy

English: MCT Island, Galore Park Junior English 3, All About Spelling 4/5, WWE3 or Killgallon Sentence Composing or parts of both, poetry memorization (using the lists from Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization)

History: A Child's History of the World, finish Our Island Story, maybe start Our Sunburnt Country or The Story of Scotland

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps & Geography, Geography Songs

Spanish: ??? maybe La Clase Divertida 3 and/or Homeschool Spanish Academy and/or Head of the Class Spanish (probably 5th grade)

Latin: I Speak Latin, possibly with Getting Started with Latin

Art: finish Meet the Masters, maybe Artistic Pursuits or Harmony Fine Arts 2 or 4

Science: :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:????????? I was originally going to do The Story Book of Science with WP's Equine Science, but she doesn't want to do equine science now, and I'm thinking we may have to do more nature study, books from the library, a few science kits, etc. Maybe Ellen McHenry chemistry and/or The Brain curricula. She was really excited about the possibility of doing a dissection of a sheep's brain.

Girl Scouts, horseback riding, and tumbling. I hope to be more consistent with piano, too.

Literature so far:

The Princess and the Goblin

A Pilgrim's Progress (McCaughrean)

The White Company

The Jungle Book

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Book of Pirates

Peter Pan and Wendy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

The Twenty-One Balloons

All-of-a-Kind Family

Five Children and It

Tales from Shakespeare

maybe The Age of Fable and Plutarch's Lives

Wow, that's a lot. It doesn't seem like quite so much when we're actually doing it, though, and we aren't going to do everything at once.

Edited by Aurelia
forgot some things

Dd9:

Dd8:

We're also trying to put together a First Lego League team for next year.

Aren't those of you with youngers finding the age restrictions of FLL to be a problem? Ds's age only qualifies him for Jr. FLL and those challenges are way beneath his level. I'm really struggling to find some place he can compete by age that is a good challenge for him. The only 4-H robotics team by us is 13+. I got him into a robotics class with an age waiver, but as far as I know when they compete next fall, ds will be ineligible.

DD11 (5th gr):

Math: Discovering Mathematics 1A/1B + ALEKS

LA: Hake 6, WWS1, SWO G

Lit: Treasure Island, Anne of Green Gables, Tom Sawyer,

Hobbit, All Creatures Great and Small, The Story of My Life,

Sherlock Holmes mysteries

Science: Holt Physical Science (Physics Portions) + hands on and virtual labs; Maybe Alice for computer science

History: SOTW 4 + AG; and independent reading tied to time period

For.Lang: First Start French; Spanish at charter

Logic: Red Herring Mysteries; MindBenders

Music: Piano; Meet the Great Composers (2nd half)

P.E.: Ballet/Swimming

Art: Probably Meet the Masters

DD9 (4th gr):

Same as above, except Math will be Singapore 5B-6A and Spelling will be SWO E.

Edited by amsunshine

Aren't those of you with youngers finding the age restrictions of FLL to be a problem? Ds's age only qualifies him for Jr. FLL and those challenges are way beneath his level. I'm really struggling to find some place he can compete by age that is a good challenge for him. The only 4-H robotics team by us is 13+. I got him into a robotics class with an age waiver, but as far as I know when they compete next fall, ds will be ineligible.

How old will your ds be?

My dd was 8 this year and technically too young to be on the team, but she was allowed to compete. I think the judges are more concerned about team members being too old and therefore having an unfair advantage over younger members. You might be just fine.

DS:

Math: Horizons

Spelling: Horizons

Phonics: Horizons

English: Shurley ( I might try FLL with him again)

Handwriting: D 'Nealian

Writing: WWE

History: BJU

Science: BJU

Lots of read alouds and arts and crafts.

Looking for something for Latin or Spanish but haven't found anything I like yet.

Our 4-H club allows 9-year-olds on the FLL teams. My dd8 will be along for the ride. :)

DS6

Language Arts:

Winning with Writing lvl 2

Growing with Grammar lvl 2

Soaring with Spelling & Vocabulary lvl 2

WWE lvl 2/FLL lvl 2

Explode the Code 6,7,8 (only b/c he wanted to finish the series)

HWT Cursive

Math:

Beast Academy 3B-3D

Singapore 3A & 3B

Life of Fred Cats & Dogs (supplement - b/c he loves it)

History:

SOTW 1

Science:

Daily Science gr. 2

McGraw-Hill Science gr. 2

RSO Life and Earth & Space (supplement - when labs correspond to other work)

Art & Music:

Stories of the Great Composers

World's Greatest Artists

World's Greatest Composers

Foreign Language:

Arabic - private school on weekends

This is helpful for me to think through ... I'm enjoying the responses.

DD6/7 (Gr. 2 next year)

Math: Singapore 2B/3A; Miquon; (Life of Fred?)

Spelling: AAS 4

Writing: WWE 2

Grammar: FLL 3 (although I am really wondering about MCT ...)

DD5/6 (K5 next year)

Math: Singapore 1B/2A; Miquon

Spelling: AAS 1/2

Writing: WWE 1 narrations? Occasional copywork?

Combined

SOTW 2, SSL, Telling God's Story 2, Artistic Pursuits, possibly Song School Greek for fun?

My biggest challenges are:

Reading -- finding books that are a good fit for their ages and reading levels. (DD6 reads at about a Gr. 7+ level; DD5 a Gr. 3. The material in books written for students at that level isn't always ideal for younger children.)

Science -- still looking for my perfect program. BFSU may be it, but it's a lot of work ...

My younger son will be going to go to school next year with a grade skip (to 6th) and additional math acceleration. I'm not completely happy with the school (my older son is going there now) and I am only letting the younger one go on the condition that he will be afterschooled in certain areas.

History: K12's Human Odyssey 1 and corresponding period literature and historical fiction

Geography: TCI's Geography Alive! and corresponding fiction

Literature: Finish K12's 8th grade literature course then great books

Science: Add some supplemental reading to whatever he's studying in school

DS 8 - He is 2E, dyslexic & dysgraphic, so I'll just list our accelerated areas here.

Math: Beast Academy 3C/3D, Singapore 4a/4B, Hands on Equations, PCM, Times Tales

Science: GEMS Messages from Space, Engineering is Elementary Parachute Design -Aerospace Engineering, GEMS Plate Tectonics, GEMS Stories in Stone, EiE Solid as a Rock - Materials Engineering?, GEMS River Cutters, EiE Water -Environmental Engineering?, possibly GEMS Hot Homes & EiE Solar Ovens -Alternative Energy Engineering if we have time

Also, robotics class, computer programming class, Magic School Bus science class and others; kid lives and breathes science. I'm thinking about having him do some kind of longer inquiry project or competitive science fair next year.

Literature:??? - I really need help from you gals here - what are some of the best lists for 2nd/3rd grade? I'd like to get the books on audiobook for ds and discuss, but I need to create a list first.

DS 5 (only math accelerated at this point)

Math: Miquon, Singapore 1B/2A

Quince 5 ( 6 in June ) Core C with Readers 4-5, SOTW 2, Elemental Earth Science, AAS 4 & 5, Singapore Math 3 & 4, WWW/ WWE 3, GWG/ FLL 3, Lively Latin 1, and anything else that tickles his fancy. Emma 4 Core finishing core A with readers 2 and starting B with readers 3, SOTW 1, Elemental Science Biology, AAS 3, Singapore 2, WWW/WWE 1, GWG/FLL 1, Song School Latin, and anything else that tickles her fancy. For the 4 year old everything is optional but most days she does more than I have planned !

DS 13

Math: Life of Fred + AoPS (maybe)

Hx: SL H

LA: we're going to try SL and add in what we need

Sci: Undecided....maybe CPO

Lang: Tell Me More Spanish

DD 10

Math: Life of Fred + Challenge Algebra

Hx: SL H w/SOTW AG, etc.

LA: some CQLA (www.tfths.com) and MCT (Michael Clay Thompson www.rfwp.com)

Sci: CPO...not sure which one

Lang: Tell Me More Spanish

DD 7

Math: living Math + maybe Beast Academy

Hx: SOTW + AG

LA: maybe CQLA or a combo of what's on my shelf

Sci: lots of fun stuff!

Now that I've written it out, I realize I'd better get moving on some decision! Oh no, I have to do curriculum research?? <gasp> :willy_nilly:

DD willl be six (sniff...my baby!):

BJU Bible

Singapore Math 4/Beast Academy 3C/D (main programs) with random supplements

BJU English and Spelling 2/3

Christian Kids Explore ?

Geography, logic, reading, flute (?), 4-H

Whatever else floats her boat

Small girl will begin K4:

BJU Bible

Singapore Essentials ?

I don't know what else yet. I need to wait and see where she's at.

Edited by MissKNG

What are your accelerated kiddos doing next year? I hope to stick to this:

Dd9:

Bible

TT Alg 1 (finish)+ MUS Alg 1 (finish) + Cybershala online

Landry English 102 online (MCT level 2 plus random lit)

Science Fusion modules + ps science class 2 hrs/wk + OMSI chem lab/class + EiE + homegrown electronics

Chinese history/geo

Piano

Voice

Tennis

Dd8:

CLE Bible

TT6, SM3b/4a, KTF, Beast 3b

SWR/Spelling City

WWE 3/WWW 3/IEW SWA videos

Chinese history/geo

Aha!Science, ps science class 2x/wk, MPH

Piano

Violin/Orchestra

Art school

Tennis

I'd love to see what you're doing.

:bigear:

It sounds great.

I am considering Landry Academy for english 101 next fall. Would you tell me your experience please with the school and which teacher do you recommend.I wank know also if they integrate bible in their literature discussion. Is it thourough class especially for the writing part.

Thank you

Our plan is to work through the summer because we've almost been unschooling the last few months due to travel, work & family issues. This happens to us every year so we end up schooling year round with lots of breaks. I haven't decided where we're going next in every subject but here's what I have so far for dd who recently turned 7.

Bible - Who is God? Apologia. She's working through this at her own pace and reading through the Old Testament because she decided she wanted to read something other than Psalms and Proverbs which she did last year.

Math - Finish MUS Epsilon & Zeta this summer. LOF Fractions & Beast Academy 3B (she's almost done with 3A), Singapore CWP. I think by fall we'll be starting mus pre-algebra but we'll see.

Latin - Finish LFCa and start LFCb. I'm also considering the national latin exam.

Grammar - Finish FLL3 (probably this summer) and go through MCT Island series together. DD read all of it by herself but we're going to do the exercises together during the summer. I am still debating whether to move on to FLL4 or something else next year. MCT is a bit too informal for my taste but dd loves it so we'll probably move to the next level in that and use something else, too.

Writing - Finish WWE3 this summer and then possibly move on to WWS if dd is ready.

Spelling - we're ditching formal curriculum and using the spelling bee word lists for weekly practice.

Greek - she's doing song school greek for fun

Science - finish Apologia Anatomy book and then decide what to do next. Lately we've just been reading a lot of science books because we're not getting to everything. dd recenly started doing science on her own because she said I was always running out of time for it:tongue_smilie:

history - finish sotw2 and start sotw3. She will probably do the mythology exam.

handwriting - finish hwot 3rd grade cursive and start the 4th grade book. I would like to transition all her assignments to cursive over the next year or so.

Hopefully she will be starting piano in the fall if dh gets on board with the idea.

Right this moment, I'm thinking Reform School. I know it's unfair, but he's 2E and testing my patience to the extreme this week.

In reality, here's what we're doing next:

Humanities/History: WinterPromise Quest for the Ancient World

Language Arts: WinterPromise LA4, MCT Town, WWE

Handwriting: HWT Cursive Success

Religion: Faith and Life 3

Math: Singapore 4 A&B w/IP & CWP, Beast Academy 3 C&D

Science: BFSU Physical Science thread with unit studies from Intellego and Dr. Dave's, plus plenty of extra enrichment in computer science and engineering.

Logic: Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting Logic

Fine Arts: Artistic Pursuits 2 and Drum Lessons

Foreign Language: Continuing with Spanish (undecided on curriculum)

P.E.: Tae Kwon Do

Geography: TCI's Geography Alive! and corresponding fiction

I haven't heard of Geography Alive! before, but it looks interesting. Are you doing the print or online? Do you know if you have to have the teacher resources?

I'm still working on it and revising it as I go. It probably won't be final for another month.

5th grader

Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ ??

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Singapore 5A and 5B with IP and CWP, LOF Decimals and Percents, Hands on Equations, Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Schools, Alcumus

Logic- Chess Kid, Grid Perplexors C, Orbiting with Logic, Philosophy for Kids

Foreign Language Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Alif Baa and Al- Kitaab Part 1 3rd edition, Arabian Sinbad, Finish My First Chinese Reader 1 and My First Chinese Reader 2, My First Chinese Games, Pronounce it Perfectly in French, Easy French Reader, Exercises in French Phonics, Athenaze 1

Language Arts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 5, Finish Jump In, NaNoWriMo, Story Grammar for Middle School and write across curriculum, Rod and Staff 5/6 Spelling, WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Speller, Mavis Beacon Typing, Startwrite, WWTW 1, Figuratively Speaking, Classic literature

History - studying ancient Rome through about 300AD.

Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ studying the countries of Iran, Israel, and Syria

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science, self-designed invertebrates study, Creative Challenges from Sciencewise Book 2

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Mark KistlerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Online Drawing Lessons

Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff Music 4/5, Music Ace, Guitar lessons

3rd grader

Bible - ???

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Singapore 3B and 4A with CWP and IP, Hands on Equations, Xtra Math, Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Schools

Logic Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Logic Countdown, Grid Perplexors B, Chess Kid, Tasks of Problem Solving Elementary

Foreign Language Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad, My First Chinese Reader 1, My First Chinese Games, Athenaze 1

Language Arts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 3, Winning with Writing 3, Story Grammar for Elementary School, NaNoWriMo, Rod and Staff Spelling 3 and 4, WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Speller, Mavis Beacon Typing, StartWrite, Vocabulary Cartoons, Classic literature

History - studying ancient Rome through about 300AD.

Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ studying the countries of Iran, Israel, and Syria

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science, self-designed invertebrates study

Science - Informal study on Physical, Earth, and Space Science and labs from CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science with brother, informal invertebrates study, Creative Challenges from Sciencewise Book 2

Computer - Scratch, Alice

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Mark KistlerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Online Drawing Lessons

Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff Music 4/5, Music Ace, Guitar lessons

K4

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Singapore Essentials A and B

Language Arts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steck-Vaughn Phonics K and A, Getting Ready to Read, Fun Tales, Sonlight readers, Startwrite, Picture book read alouds

Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Jesus Storybook Bible

Foreign Language - My First Chinese Words CD-Rom, My First Chinese Games, Arabic alphabet, Arabian Sinbad, and exposure to Mandarin and Arabic.

Art- Mark Kistler's Online Drawing Lessons, Scratch

Science/Geography/History/Music - Join in with siblings as interested

DD4:

Math: Horizons K/Singapore (should be at 1b by then)/MEP also 1b

Reading: finish OPGTR (or leave it as she never struggles with any of the words), find suitable books for her reading level

WWE1

History: SOTW1

Geography, Science: from read alouds

We school January to December, so I will probably adjust this as its where we are now and many things are likely to change. Reading is challenging and I suspect finding suitable books in the next year will be even more challenging than it has been up to now as her reading level advances further.

Rising 2nd grader (6 yo)

Math: Math Mammoth 3B and 4A/CWP2 and 3/BA

Writing: Finish up WWE3 and move into....I don't know. :confused:

Science: Continue working with Mr. Q's Life Science for fun, spine is BFSU

History: SOTW1 with Activity Guide-so excited!

Latin: Lively Latin (continue) along with Minimus

Spanish: maybe. Madrigal's Spanish

Grammar: Kiss Grade 2 or 3, Level 2

Geography: World Geography, probably using Creek Edge Task Cards

Piano, yoga, tennis

Rising 5th grader (9 yo)

Math: Math Mammoth 6 plus AoPS Pre-A and CWP 5. Plan is to finish MM and go slower with AoPS and CWP 5 and 6.

Writing: continue WWS1, and finish by January, when hopefully WWS2 will be available

Literature: not sure. I have a list of books, and will likely read Teaching the Classics over the summer to prepare. He'll also work through Figuratively Speaking.

Science: CPO Life Science and lab, plus continue BFSU 2

Latin: continue Henle; if he stays on track, he should finish Henle 1 by then end of 5th grade.

Spanish: if we do it, Madrigal's Spanish

History: K12 Human Odyssey plus timeline, narrations, and extra reading

Grammar: KISS Grade 6 Level 2

Geography: World Geography with task cards

Artist Study: I really do plan to be more diligent about this this year! I just need suggestions for curriculum??

Piano, tennis, inline hockey team

Art will be done with Dad weekly in his studio.

Edited by Halcyon

DD almost 10

Math - continue with AoPS Algebra + Kumon

Reading - free choice with occasional discussion

History - k12 human odyssey + SOTW with younger sister

Science - maybe we will finally finish BFSU 1 and start BFSU2. May also work through Tarbuck Earth Science

Grammar - continue with Analytical Grammar Season 1. After we are done with that I'll decide whether to continue on to 2 or just do the review for the remainder of the year. Depends on how pressed for time we feel.

Writing - finish WWE4 and start WWS

Spelling - continue with SWO F, start G

Latin - continue with So You Really Want to Learn Latin 1. Start book 2

Music History/Art History - self designed, each once every other week.

Geography - once a week, not really sure what I am using yet.

DD almost 8

Math - I think she'll finish SM 6A this year so we will finish 6B next year and move on to CWP6 and maybe the IP as well. She has finished Beast 3A. Don't know if she will get to 3B this year or not, but in any case we will finish Beast 3 next year and continue with Kumon

Reading - free choice

History - finish SOTW2 and start 3

Science - finish BFSU1 and start 2

Grammar - finish FLL3 and start FLL4

Writing - WWE3

Spelling - finish SWO D and start E

Foreign Language - nothing planned at the moment, but we may go back to Getting Started with Spanish, or do Spanish Prep 1 all together. Depends on if we have enough time to fit it in.

Music History/Art History - with dd10

Geography - she will continue with Evan Moor Daily Geography simply because she likes it, and if I find something I like for dd10, she will join in on that.

They will both continue with piano, tennis, ballet and chess.

I haven't heard of Geography Alive! before, but it looks interesting. Are you doing the print or online? Do you know if you have to have the teacher resources?

I'm using just the textbook, so we're not getting the benefit of the full program (which looks like it could be great). But I'm impressed with the topics they discuss in that it's not just about economics and place names, but more about what might be studied in AP Human Geography without the intensity.

DD4 (3 right now but will be 4 for most of the school year)

• OPGTR (and possibly some more 100EZ lessons)
  • BOB Books
  • HWT pre-k
  • Pre-Miquon Cuisenaire Rod Activity Guide
  • AO Year 0 literature and poetry selections
  • Violin lessons if we can find a teacher

We started HWT yesterday and it was amazing the difference it made in dd. I think she really needs more structure and intellectual challenge than "just free play and lots of reading together" is giving her.

It sounds great.

I am considering Landry Academy for english 101 next fall. Would you tell me your experience please with the school and which teacher do you recommend.I wank know also if they integrate bible in their literature discussion. Is it thourough class especially for the writing part.

Thank you

Not sure. I am new to this online school. We will use WWS if needed. Dd does better for an outside teacher. Quality, energy and output goes WAY up. :001_smile:

Ds 9yo

Language Arts

Grammar- Harvey’s Elementary Grammar with Mott’s Workbooks

Spelling- Webster’s 1824 Speller from Don Potter’s site

Composition- Spectrum Writing (although now I am looking at Rockets, Radar, and Robotics :glare:)

Figurative Language- Figuratively Speaking

Literature- various, mostly tied to geography studies

Math

Drill- Kumon

Exploration- AOPS Intro to Counting and Probability

Textbook- Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

Science

some standards based study and memory work

Sciencesaurus Grade 4-5

Science Daybook 5

Memoria Press Science Grade 4 Insects

Social Studies

World Geography- various

Spanish

Learnables

Religious Studies and Mythology

(wks 1-9) Selections from The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor

(wks 10-12) Selections from d’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths

(wks 13-17) Selections from d’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths

(wks 18-20) Selections from Tales from Africa

(wks 21-27) Clouds of Glory: Legends and Stories about Bible Times

(wks 28-36) Ramayana: Divine Loophole

(wks 28-36) Selections from The Little Book of Hindu Deities

Poet/ Composer/ Artist Studies

(1st quarter) Jane Yolen's Color Me a Rhyme: Nature Poems for Young People/ Ambleside's 2014-2015 TERM 1: Children's Classics/ Blue Rider artists

(2nd quarter) Valerie Worth's All the Small Poems/ Handel/ Rembrandt

(3rd quarter) Wayne Visser's I Am An African (I am not sure about this poet, but, if he won't work for us, I will use Rumi.)/ Brahms/ Henri Rousseau

(4th quarter) Issa- Cool Melons- Turn to Frogs! and Basho- Grass Sandals/ Stravinsky/ Chagall

We will be continuing with drama, art lessons, and violin. We are considering the National Mythology Exam, Lego Robotics, Math Olympiad, Youth Orchestra, and 4-H Shooting Sports.

Next year I will only have the the little man at home and I am finding it difficult to plan. It is just difficult to imagine the time stretched before us with just the two of us together every day!:001_huh:

Mandy

Next year I will only have the the little man at home and I am finding it difficult to plan. It is just difficult to imagine the time stretched before us with just the two of us together every day!:001_huh:...

Wish that you were close, I'd send my 9 yr old ;) He'd love all the Myths studies :) Then you could have 2 kiddos... and I could have coffee in peace ;)

DS1 - 8 - 3rd grade:

Bible: BSGFAA, Daily Bible reading

Math: Singapore 5A/5B, then probably some MM6 and prealgebra of some sort (we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it); We'll also continue with Beast Academy on the side.

Grammar: Mix of KISS grade 3 level 1 and R&S 3/4

Writing: WWE3 using instructor text, IEW SWI A

Spelling: Mix of A&P Books A/B and R&S Spelling 3/4, with Spelling City for reinforcement.

History: Sonlight Core D with Advanced Readers

Science: Apologia (doing Astronomy now, but also have Zoo 1-3 to play with), science kits, random library books.

Latin: Getting Started With Latin

He'll also be doing cub scouts, hockey, and piano.

DS2 - 5 - K: (so far, only accelerated in math)

Bible: BSGFAA, daily Bible reading

Read-Alouds: Sonlight Core P4/5

Math: Singapore 1A/1B

Reading: Dancing Bears Book A, Reading Eggs

Handwriting: Writing Road to Reading handwriting instructions

He'll also be doing piano and hockey.

DS3 - 3 - Wreaking Havoc:

Busywork: R&S ABC series books with DS1 "teaching" :)

Reading: Reading Eggs as long as he continues to ask for it

Read-Alouds: Listen in to Sonlight P4/5 books, find P3/4, FIAR, etc. books at the library.

No extra activities yet, though he may get to start ice skating lessons at some point... He really wants to get out on the ice with big brothers, and he tends to want to do things at a much earlier age than his brothers did (he can button a button-down dress shirt all by himself, and he's not even 3 yet! :001_huh:). Academically, I can tell I won't have to teach him "K". I think he'll have his multiplication facts memorized by then. :tongue_smilie:

DD 6

Rod & Staff 2, 3 Grammar

Spelling Workout B, C

WTM style writing

HWOT cursive

Saxon 2,3

SOTW 1

Elemental Science ESA, BFSU

mama made literature

Chinese

Prima Latina

Artistic Pursuits, Mark Kistler online, World's Greatest Artists

Classical Kids

DS 4

OPGTR

ETC 2

HWOT K

Saxon K, 1

Elemental Science Intro, BFSU

read alouds from Sonlight/ FIAR/ Ambleside

Chinese

(Same art and music as sister)

There is no lower age limit for the competition, officially. We did a JFLL team the year DS was 7 and FLL when he was 8. The teams themselves, of course, can set whatever lower age cutoff they want... but it's not FIRST's doing.

I think if you were going to argue the age limit, the main thing you need to address is that many teams will have had problems in the past with kids who "love Legos", but who don't understand (or whose parents don't understand) that there is almost no building with Legos involved in FLL, and practically no free building. I had two "pre-FLL" groups one year, going through the Mayan Adventure book, and of ten kids maybe three were on board with addressing a specific engineering problem without getting sidetracked by all the other things they could do that would be much more fun.

In addition to that, at the FLL level (unless things have changed since we did it - it has been a few years!) there's the robot, but also a presentation to the judges about the robot, a research project and presentation, and a teamwork event. It's an all-day marathon, and honestly by lunchtime I wanted to crawl under a table and stick my fingers in my ears. I could definitly see a team hesitating about a younger kid if there was any chance that exhaustion would lead to meltdowns or silliness.

And lastly... the scoring at FIRST events (at all levels, from what I can tell) is a little capricious. It's not just about the robot working - there's team spirit and wowing the judges and other more "squishy" aspects... That's going to be true in one way or another whenever there are judges involved, but with the FIRST competitions we have known, it seemed excessive, and the kids found it frustrating. We're looking for a robotics competition this year that isn't FIRST - something that really is just engineering and robot performance. There are a lot of good things about FIRST competitions - I really do see why they include all those aspects - but they can also be overwhelming in how many directions a team has to go simultaneously.

Technically halfway through the year for us. DD will be six in a few days. Using EPGY math & language arts, moving into Singapore 3, maybe BA if I can get DH to swallow the overseas shipping, BFSU II, maybe McHenry's The Elements when we finish of the big prehistory rabbit trail we have gone down. Looking for a good French curriculum....

Love these threads--esp seeing what works for other accelerated kiddos.:)

Here's our line-up for next year:

Ds7:

GWG 5 or GWG 6 (will decide after I see them both)

Paragraph Book series

Finish R&S Spelling 5, then finish AAS series

Cursive

Singapore Math 4 with CWP and IP

Conceptual Chem & RS4K Chem II

GSWL & LfC A

Classical Conversations Foundations

Art of Argument

Biblioplan or TQ Ancient History

Apologia's Who Is God and finish Explorer's NT

Ds4:

100 EZ

Learn to play card/board games the entire family can enjoy

Singapore Math Essentials

Mudpies to Magnets

Handwriting

Bible stories and crafts

There is no lower age limit for the competition, officially. We did a JFLL team the year DS was 7 and FLL when he was 8. The teams themselves, of course, can set whatever lower age cutoff they want... but it's not FIRST's doing.

I think if you were going to argue the age limit, the main thing you need to address is that many teams will have had problems in the past with kids who "love Legos", but who don't understand (or whose parents don't understand) that there is almost no building with Legos involved in FLL, and practically no free building. I had two "pre-FLL" groups one year, going through the Mayan Adventure book, and of ten kids maybe three were on board with addressing a specific engineering problem without getting sidetracked by all the other things they could do that would be much more fun.

In addition to that, at the FLL level (unless things have changed since we did it - it has been a few years!) there's the robot, but also a presentation to the judges about the robot, a research project and presentation, and a teamwork event. It's an all-day marathon, and honestly by lunchtime I wanted to crawl under a table and stick my fingers in my ears. I could definitly see a team hesitating about a younger kid if there was any chance that exhaustion would lead to meltdowns or silliness.

And lastly... the scoring at FIRST events (at all levels, from what I can tell) is a little capricious. It's not just about the robot working - there's team spirit and wowing the judges and other more "squishy" aspects... That's going to be true in one way or another whenever there are judges involved, but with the FIRST competitions we have known, it seemed excessive, and the kids found it frustrating. We're looking for a robotics competition this year that isn't FIRST - something that really is just engineering and robot performance. There are a lot of good things about FIRST competitions - I really do see why they include all those aspects - but they can also be overwhelming in how many directions a team has to go simultaneously.

Thank you for all this! Maybe ds can compete next year then. I don't know how he will do with all the intangibles like the presentation and wow factor, but as far as seriousness about the engineering challenge, ds has already complained that the other kids on his team at robotics class give up far too easily when he wants to continue to work on the robot (and all of them are older than him) so I think he will be fine in that respect.

I've looked for other leagues too, but all I can find are FIRST competitions, even at the older age groups. One of the local FIRST teams is going to nationals though, so I'm hoping to get in touch with them at some point.

DD wants to have a Mythology study group at our house for the National mythology exam, and I have several parents who are interested-not necessarily in the exam, but in having the kids read, discuss, act out, and generally explore mythology together. I think that would be a really good thing for her socially. We're also trying to put together a First Lego League team for next year.

That sounds awesome. I wished I lived nearby - my dd would love that!

I'm a bit hesitant to post, since my kids are so little, but hopefully you all will indulge me.

Both girls:

We just started my homemade scripture study for preschool this past week. It's focused on helping them learn the stories, but also includes simple art projects, a little handwriting practice, and some scripture memorization. (I was hesitant to include the memorization, but decided to try it for the first week or two, and was surprised when my three-year-old started chiming in with me on the third day.) My eighteen-month-old lacks the motor skills to do the handwriting, but insists on my holding her hand to help her to do it, too, since big sister does.

They also both love Salsa Spanish, and I've been trying to figure out what else to add to that for Spanish.

Three-year-old:

She has already done Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 once, but I started it over with her, and we're going to zoom through it again before going on to the second one.

I have ETC 1, which we haven't started yet. I am planning on adding it in sometime in the next month or two as she is interested.

She also does gymnastics for 2 hours per week, and loves it.

I have also been reading about suzuki violin teaching methods and considering making her a 'box violin' and beginning to teach her myself. I might be able to get her one of those tiny student violins at Christmastime. I'm nervous, though, since it's years since I've played much. It would be so much easier to have her start lessons with a real Suzuki teacher, but we can't afford that right now, and I'd probably have to drive a long ways to find a teacher, too.

I just made my final purchases at the convention this weekend! Now we just habe to finish SOTW 1 this summer and then waot for this baby to make his grand entrance, then we will start a few weeks later.

For my six year old second grader.

Math: SM 3a&b with IP and CWP 3, LoF when we want something funny to read

Grammar/writing: Rod and Staff 3

Spelling: spelling plus 3rd-4th grade words with dictation and homophones books.

Lit: we will useWhat Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know as a jumping off point and go from there. He will also read on his own daily. He picks what ever he wants.

History: SOTW 2

Science: RS4K physics and chemistry

Latin: Prima Latina

Bible: reading, plus we will redo Studying Gods word book A and do book B.

Memory work: we will do Tue portion of the CC timeline we did this year (ancients only) and add events that line up with SOTW 2. We will use the foundations manual and Cds, but bot stress over it. We just listen in the car and learn what we can. DS likes the history songs.

I'm a bit hesitant to post, since my kids are so little, but hopefully you all will indulge me.

:001_smile: OT, but it's so strange to be on the tail end of this now, approaching "legitimacy" in school based on traditional age. I wanted to get here as quickly as possible, and now that I'm almost there, I'm realizing how much more work it's going to be!! :tongue_smilie: Anyway, I think you're in good company. :001_smile:

I just posted this in the rising 8th grader thread I started. I should have just posted it here.

Math: MUS Algebra 1

Vocabulary: VFCR A-C

Logic: Traditional Logic 2

Grammar: Analytical Grammar to be finished in one year

Writing: CW Diogenes Chreia and finish Intermediate Poetry

Literature: A good/great book list as long as my arm

Latin: TLRTEG 2

Art: Learning to draw books I don't remember the title of right off.

Music: Same as art

Science: Up in the air at the moment

History: Up in the air at the moment

Ballet, tap, jazz, guitar, tai chi, drama club

Next year for 4th grade:

MCT LA Town Level, including the literature, and adding in additional writing of some sort

Homegrown American History (using CK books and Children's Encyclopedia of American History as spines)

Mr. Q Life Science, followed by his Astronomy/Earth Science

French - not sure what curriculum yet (we're dropping Latin and just doing roots)

Math... my current plan is CLE/CWP/LOF but I'm not 100% sure if we're going that route.

Love reading everyone's plans! (Except that it gives me more ideas....)

Edited by SunnyDays

I can't remember if I've said this before, but I wish you were nearby! I have a 3 year old girl, an 18 month old boy, and a baby due at the end of July. (Plus a 4.5 year old daughter.)

My oldest will be doing K this year. We're starting based on her 5th birthday instead of the traditional semester, but most of it is just continuing material she's already been doing.

Math: SRA Math 1 and probably 2 from reviewing the scope and sequence, MEP 1, CNED's Math (lower level in French), fun stuff like Zaccaro's elementary book

Reading: Finishing revised McGuffey series by mid-year? I have no idea what to do after that, but we need something that will give me a chance to show her the pronunciation of higher vocabulary words. We're still doing read-alouds, but I'm not trying to go above her reading level anymore.

Writing: We are going to continue copying sentences that she selects from what she is reading.

French: CNED material, building vocabulary and reading out loud. We might be limited to DVDs and online videos until I'm comfortable taking everyone to a library closer to Cincinnati.

Science/History: I'm just trying to keep all of her questions answered at this point. I'll cover a few things to prepare for a more organized study in 1st grade.

Art/Music: We will keep doing messy things, looking at beautiful things, playing with various instruments (recorders, drums, etc), and listening to different types of music.

I can't remember if I've said this before, but I wish you were nearby! I have a 3 year old girl, an 18 month old boy, and a baby due at the end of July. (Plus a 4.5 year old daughter.)

Well, thanks! If you ever decide to move to the Northwest, I'd love to meet!