Menu

Jury Selection--SOS!

Tomorrow I have to go in for jury selection, and I had to scrounge up someone to take my kids to gymnastics at 9:30, chess club at 1:15, and then of course the kids have soccer and gym in the late afternoon. That, in itself, was hard. What happens if I get selected? I don't have a sitter, and I certainly don't want to leave my kidlets with strangers as a drop-in at a child care facility (not to mention the cost!)

Yes, I want to do my part for society, but goodness! What am I supposed to do with my kids? What would you do?

:grouphug: That IS tough.

I was selected for Jury duty last year and was able to delay it until summer so that my older teens were available to watch DD10 and drive her hither and yon to her activities. Is there a time when your college kid is off from school and could watch the two youngers? Maybe you can get it delayed.....

If I hadn't had teens of my own available to stay with DD10, I would have probably cancelled her activities and hired one of DD18's friends to keep the younger one company if DH was not able to take the time off.

:grouphug: That IS tough.

I was selected for Jury duty last year and was able to delay it until summer so that my older teens were available to watch DD10 and drive her hither and yon to her activities. Is there a time when your college kid is off from school and could watch the two youngers? Maybe you can get it delayed.....

If I hadn't had teens of my own available to stay with DD10, I would have probably cancelled her activities and hired one of DD18's friends to keep the younger one company if DH was not able to take the time off.

Yes, summertime would give us more options. Our oldest lives 10 mins away, so that would be an option when the univ lets out. Hubby works 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (usually.)

Do I simply ask for a delay when I get there?

I thought there was a box you could check that let you out of jury duty if it would leave your children with no child care.

ETA: Just take them with you. That should do it. Maybe the judge would point you in the direction of a lighter trial to watch for a lesson in civics. :lol:

LOL!

Yes, there is a box AND I checked it. Evidently they didn't mind. I actually would take them with me, but I really don't want them to miss their activities. But wouldn't that be a hoot? Like, HELLO, I checked the box!

LOL!

Yes, there is a box AND I checked it. Evidently they didn't mind. I actually would take them with me, but I really don't want them to miss their activities. But wouldn't that be a hoot? Like, HELLO, I checked the box!

Oh my word. That would have me really angry! I don't know when you have to report but would it work to call first thing in the morning? You could inform them that you were summoned and checked the box but were called anyway and ask if they would prefer you to bring the kids with a box lunch or leave them at home unsupervised? :tongue_smilie: Maybe they would give you a verbal OK to be absent and just cross you off the list. It's worth a try, unless you have to be there right when they open.

Once my DH completely forgot he had jury duty and didn't go. When he did remember, he went to their website and found out that there was a place to reschedule his jury duty to another date. Do you have that option?

Every state's (county? district?) requirements are different. The last time I was summoned, I could get out based on my kids' ages and they were probably 12 and 13 at the time. A friend lives in Memphis and there are no exemptions and she has to go for a full week.

Isn't there anyone at all that can babysit for you?

Relative?

Neighbor?

Friend?

Church member?

Anyone?

I firmly believe that jury duty is just that .... A duty. It is one of the many things that Americans take for granted but should be grateful that they have... The right to a trial by a jury of your peers. Not every country is so lucky. And we should do it unless it is absolutely, utterly impossible. I don't personally believe gymnastics and chess are a good reason to skip out on it.

Isn't there anyone at all that can babysit for you?

Relative?

Neighbor?

Friend?

Church member?

Anyone?

I firmly believe that jury duty is just that .... A duty. It is one of the many things that Americans take for granted but should be grateful that they have... The right to a trial by a jury of your peers. Not every country is so lucky. And we should do it unless it is absolutely, utterly impossible. I don't personally believe gymnastics and chess are a good reason to skip out on it.

Nope. Not for any length of unspecified time (someone I know was just on one for 2 weeks.) I found someone for today (who will have to pass them off to another person later this afternoon) but certainly not someone who will also school them and run them around.

Oh my word. That would have me really angry! I don't know when you have to report but would it work to call first thing in the morning? You could inform them that you were summoned and checked the box but were called anyway and ask if they would prefer you to bring the kids with a box lunch or leave them at home unsupervised? :tongue_smilie: Maybe they would give you a verbal OK to be absent and just cross you off the list. It's worth a try, unless you have to be there right when they open.

The paperwork in our county tells you NOT to bring children, and if you do, you will be in contempt of court. They will let you delay for up to two year if you have child care issues. Where we used to live, they have arrangements with a local day care for drop ins, for free, for those on jury duty.

The paperwork in our county tells you NOT to bring children, and if you do, you will be in contempt of court. They will let you delay for up to two year if you have child care issues. Where we used to live, they have arrangements with a local day care for drop ins, for free, for those on jury duty.

I know you're not supposed to bring them. But they're also supposed to note the box you checked. :D If you checked the box that says doing jury duty would leave your kids without child care and then summon you to jury duty anyway... :confused: One would have to make a choice and, in this case, I don't think contempt of court would be particularly fair. :tongue_smilie:

I know you're not supposed to bring them. But they're also supposed to note the box you checked. :D If you checked the box that says doing jury duty would leave your kids without child care and then summon you to jury duty anyway... :confused: One would have to make a choice and, in this case, I don't think contempt of court would be particularly fair. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I'm wondering why they even put the boxes there. No one I know has ever been not-called because of the boxes.

I think I will ask for the delay--summertime would give me a much better shot of piecing together child care. Until then it's a crapshoot.

After about ten years in this county, I was called to serve two days after my due date for my last pregnancy. I was rather irritated they didn't call while I was pregnant, as child care would have been a breeze. Instead I got them to delay a year, had my mother come for a visit from across the country at that time, and was told I did not need to come the day before. Whew. Then I was called again a few months later! I was excused as I had already (technically) served. My husband just got called.

I would love to be on a jury, I just wish it had worked out for when I had a lot of free time. I don't think it's easy for people who work either. You lose your pay for those days.

I wouldn't worry about it. when you are picked to be part of a pool, the judge asks if anyone wouldn't be able to serve. You're a homeschool mom, so all your kids are at home. when I was in a pool, there were several people who were dismissed before the lawyers even started interviewing for a panel.

Why do people get summoned for jury duty at the most inconvenient times? Last year my son was just diagnosed with leukemia and was in the hospital and I get my first summons! The hospital social worker filled out the paper work for me and had a good doctors note. I was excused.

Growing up, my dad ended up somehow on a grand jury panel where he was expected to show up when called for 6 months! He served his time and then at the end they almost did not let him go for our family reunion on the other side of the country.

I've been called for next week. I've managed to make plans for my kids because I'd rather just suck it up & go now rather than deal w/ the hassle of doing it later (& at a time that might end up being more inconvenient for me later).

I've been called twice before (and both times pre-kids) -- once for county & once for federal. I did get picked on a federal jury & was there all day for each day that week. For the county, I never actually got selected for a jury. I think that by Tuesday night, they told us to call in each night thereafter to see if I would actually be needed other days. I wasn't, so I ended up having to show up only on Monday & Tuesday that time.

We'll see how it goes this time....

When I served, I got paid $5 a day. I had to sit there all day long for three days before being sent home. Give me a break. At least now they're better about summoning people when they have a need and dismissing the rest.

Usually they will reschedule you if the time is bad, but you do have to do it sometime.

Homeschooling + having kiddos under legal "school" age gives us an exemption from jury duty here.

A couple of days would be OK - but the one that I was recently summoned for was expected to be 3 months long. There is no way we could manage that.

FYI - there is no payment for jury duty less than 10 days, $40/day is paid for trials lasting up to 39 days, and then $100/day for trials 40+ days.

I really wanted to serve on a jury (as in a big trial) when I was younger...before kids...and was never called. They waited until I was pregnant and difficulty keeping my blood sugar stable (had to eat every 1 1/2 hours) to call me. My midwife wrote me an excuse. Then they called me when I had an exclusively nursing 5 month old, which got me excused. The next time they called me was my due date with my second child. I forgot to send in an excuse and called them two days before, telling them I was willing to serve but might need to leave without notice. They didn't want me.

Where I was living during all of that, they paid $10 a day and gave you a bus pass.

I don't know what the rules are for here.

I was recently called for jury duty. Officially, they excuse for being a caregiver for those unable to care for themselves, but the clerk of the court explained they will not exempt homeschoolers, because it is our obligation to have them in school, and to follow the school calendar ( neither is true). He did however, reschedule me from my original date (where they were empaneling for a 3-month capital murder trial) to another date (where there were few cases on the docket, and all settled before 10am, so I was home before lunch). Remaining calm and polite, if displeased, with him on the phone, gave the best results.

I have gladly served before, and actually sat on a jury, and will do so in the future. I have missed work to serve. But right now my kds are too young to be alone, and I do not have anyone reliable to stay with them while my husband is at work.

I was called once. i actually got to the point where I was before the judge and lawyers. Basically, it was a "cop" said vs. "suspect" said case. They asked me if I had any police officers in my family and to list them. Well, let's just say, I went on and on and on (my dad, two brothers, grandfather on both sides, husband is a chaplain for the Detroit police, etc). They dismissed me right away! :lol:

But, before they started the official questioning, they asked if there was anyone for whom it would be a problem to serve. Two people came forward with the same issues - they were the primary caregivers without sitters and dh couldn't take the time off work. They were let go without further questions. I hope it's as easy as that for you!

They let us go around 10 after filling out a 20 or so page questionaire and we have to report back Thurs morning. Sigh.

They pay $12 a day, then after the 4th day they pay on a sliding scale based on what you make, which means I get $28 a day as a stay home mom and Joe Schmoe dr gets $300 a day. Lovely. I checked with a daycare where we know the owner and it would be $51 for my kids.

It is a heartbreaking case (I cried during opening statements) and is expected to last 3-4 weeks. I hope and pray they let me off. What on earth would I do with my kids for that long???

It is $15/day here. DH recently went for his yearly jury duty. Yes, every single year he gets called. Then he gets home at 4 and works until 2 or 3 a.m. because though he is salaried, the work needs done. I have to admit to being a bit bitter about our system.

I have been able to get of because whenever I have been called I had nurslings. I did serve prior to kids, and actually didn't mind though I got zero pay from my employer for the duration of the case. I found it interesting to observe an actual case for a week and participate.

I do think the system needs an overhaul though frankly. The economic and work situation IMHO has changed a lot faster than the jury duty system. During the case I was on I actually think the verdict was partly based on how fast the case could be settled. No one wanted to contest it because everyone needed back at work ASAP. I fear that might be the case (unspoken) in some other cases. Fortunately the one I was on was extremely minor and short.

When my kids are teens though I would be happy to serve again, every year if necessary! My MIL serves all the time too (retired).

It is $15/day here. DH recently went for his yearly jury duty. Yes, every single year he gets called. Then he gets home at 4 and works until 2 or 3 a.m. because though he is salaried, the work needs done. I have to admit to being a bit bitter about our system.

I have been able to get of because whenever I have been called I had nurslings. I did serve prior to kids, and actually didn't mind though I got zero pay from my employer for the duration of the case. I found it interesting to observe an actual case for a week and participate.

I do think the system needs an overhaul though frankly. The economic and work situation IMHO has changed a lot faster than the jury duty system. During the case I was on I actually think the verdict was partly based on how fast the case could be settled. No one wanted to contest it because everyone needed back at work ASAP. I fear that might be the case (unspoken) in some other cases. Fortunately the one I was on was extremely minor and short.

When my kids are teens though I would be happy to serve again, every year if necessary! My MIL serves all the time too (retired).

Massachusetts requires the employer to let an employee show up on jury duty. The employer is required to pay for three days of jury duty. So most cases here take 3 days or less.

I agree, the system needs an overhaul. The amount of financial strain it can put on a family is unbelievable. My hubby is a commissioned salesman, and if he were off work for 3 weeks....I can't imagine.

Yes, it's important to do our civic duty, but at what cost to the family?

Thankfully my serving (if it comes to that--I'm thinking the defense considers me their worst nightmare so I am starting to think I will be in the clear) won't impose a terrible financial hardship, but there will be an actual cost to us if I have to pay for childcare.

Thankfully my serving (if it comes to that--I'm thinking the defense considers me their worst nightmare so I am starting to think I will be in the clear) won't impose a terrible financial hardship, but there will be an actual cost to us if I have to pay for childcare.

Clearly their payment calculations are off - your worth as a stay at home mom has got to be at least as much as the cost of daycare! I wonder if you could successfully argue that? Probably not.

I don't think it's fair either.. but that's what they do.

Well and then they wonder why people want to get out of it. Sorry, most people can't go weeks or months being paid $5 a day.

Here it's $15 (for our county court, that may vary in other counties in our state) but state law requires employers to pay you while serving jury duty your full pay, minus the $15. They are required to pay whether you are salary, hourly or commission. For commission, they are required to pay based on some average formula. They are NOT allowed to count it against any vacation time earned.

Here it's $15 (for our county court, that may vary in other counties in our state) but state law requires employers to pay you while serving jury duty your full pay, minus the $15. They are required to pay whether you are salary, hourly or commission. For commission, they are required to pay based on some average formula. They are NOT allowed to count it against any vacation time earned.

That sounds like a good deal for jurors (except hs moms!) Probably not so great for small business owners.

I had no idea you couldn't get out of jury duty if you had children dependent on you for childcare. I think my state automatically exempts you. I can barely figure out childcare for when I go into labor with baby #4. What would they expect me to do for jury duty?

I had no idea you couldn't get out of jury duty if you had children dependent on you for childcare. I think my state automatically exempts you. I can barely figure out childcare for when I go into labor with baby #4. What would they expect me to do for jury duty?

Perhaps actual labor is the only excuse to get you out!

Unless the defense is your lawyer....:DThat is what happened to hubby for his time in jury selection. Our personal lawyer was the defense attorney....hee hee!! (just our estate and business lawyer btw)

Holly

Goodness, you had me worried :tongue_smilie:

I did jury duty last summer. I managed to get it moved from april to a time more convenient for my husband to be off work. Did hugely annoy me that those who had time off work got reimbursed for lost income but if your partner takes time off to look after your kids there is no way to get any reimbursement for that. We Did 10 days over two cases. The first was a child abuse case and was pretty exhausting and traumatic.