Menu

Does this sound suspicious to you?

I'm pretty new at selling things on the boards, so I'm not sure if I should be suspicious or not. I said I would accept paypal and this is part of the response-

Thanks for the prompt response and i will like to make an instant

purchase. I will be mailing(overnight) a certified cashiers check from

my bank account to cover the cost and shipment, while you hold the

item on my behalf. As soon as you confirm the check clearance, you

will then notify me in order to mail the books. Give me the following

informations to issue out the payment.

1.Name to be on the check

2.Home address

3.Cell phone #

Why would my cell # be needed? Is this common?

Please help!:confused:

If you feel suspicious, I would go with your gut, and back off.

Personally, I don't like to use paypal. I'm curious how sellers feel about postal money orders? Clearly, I understand why no one will accept a personal check, but if I'm anti-paypal, what's the next best option?

Personally, I don't like to use paypal. I'm curious how sellers feel about postal money orders? Clearly, I understand why no one will accept a personal check, but if I'm anti-paypal, what's the next best option?

See as a buyer, I'm just not going to buy unless you do pp..I MIGHT do a personal check, but I would fully expect you to hold the package until it all clears, and the bank says it is ok, which can take a while.

Usually I am not interested in waiting that long though, and will skip your item in favor of a PP item.

I'm never going to opt for the hassle of going to the bank or Post office with 3 kids trying to get a cashiers check or MO.

Edited by lcelmer

I'm pretty new at selling things on the boards, so I'm not sure if I should be suspicious or not. I said I would accept paypal and this is part of the response-

2.Home address

3.Cell phone #

This sounds very fishy to me. First of all, english does not appear to be his first language based on the response. Second, instead of abiding by your requirements, he makes his own demands that go above what is necessary to complete the transaction (ie cell phone #). I would hesitate to deal with this person. And if I did, it would only be thru paypal.

reads like a scam to me.

I have no problems with postal money orders, apparently fraud is easier with other types of money orders. Also, fyi, postal money orders can be cashed at the post office. So if you actually mail packages at the post office, you can cash them, then use the cash to pay for the shipping.

This sounds very fishy to me. First of all, english does not appear to be his first language based on the response. Second, instead of abiding by your requirements, he makes his own demands that go above what is necessary to complete the transaction (ie cell phone #). I would hesitate to deal with this person. And if I did, it would only be thru paypal.

:iagree:

I emailed him back, stating that I would only accept pp. I have not heard back. :glare: It's not someone from this forum. I double posted my stuff for sale in a couple of places with the hopes of selling it quicker. I need the money for books for next year, but I guess I need to be more careful!

I did recently sell an item around $75 to someone who sent me a personal check. I held the item until the check cleared. In the exchange of emails I did provide my phone number as a courtesy. I figured the other person was taking the bigger risk.

BUT, this email is worded very oddly and I would have second thoughts about a transaction with them. Also, in my case, I had posted that I accept paypal or check with hold.

It sounds strange and I would follow my instincts.

With that said, I am one of the few buyers who do not use paypal. Years ago I went through identity theft because of Paypal. They have tightened their security, but I do not take any chances.

Follow your gut but please do not discount someone just because they do not use paypal. ;)

I just looked this up on Google and found that the scam is that when the cashier's check arrives, it is for more than the amount it is supposed to be, so the buyer asks for the money back and that's where he gets his money.

2.Home address

3.Cell phone #

Nope, nope, nope. Nigerian Scam. You never provide any personal information to anyone, except at your discretion, and certainly not on demand!

"Informations" is extremely common in these scams.

Ignore. The check will be phony and you will be out whatever you sent them.

It sounds strange and I would follow my instincts.

With that said, I am one of the few buyers who do not use paypal. Years ago I went through identity theft because of Paypal. They have tightened their security, but I do not take any chances.

Follow your gut but please do not discount someone just because they do not use paypal. ;)

Right. I never use Paypal, but I will make it clear I am a real person! And will send you a real check that will clear before you need to send me anything.

I did recently sell an item around $75 to someone who sent me a personal check. I held the item until the check cleared. In the exchange of emails I did provide my phone number as a courtesy. I figured the other person was taking the bigger risk.

BUT, this email is worded very oddly and I would have second thoughts about a transaction with them. Also, in my case, I had posted that I accept paypal or check with hold.

Thank you! At least someone will deal with people like me who don't use paypal or pay things online!

This "paypal only" stuff bothers me! I guess I can't buy from ya'll if I ever need to. If I were buying from a person, I'd pay cash, or if by mail, send a personal check that they can cash and clear before they send me anything! Or a postal money order!

2.Home address

3.Cell phone #

It is not legitimate. Delete and continue about your life.

Checks can be faked. Money orders can be faked. Even checks that clear your account can later be found as fraudulent and the amount deducted from your account. PayPal is safer. I've done some online transactions with a personal check, but they are not generic messages from someone who is obviously not a native English speaker. Even then I typically received a check about 25% of the time. The rest of the time the purchaser never bothered to send a check or changed her mind and didn't tell me.

Make sure you report the username to the mods.

I think the OP said it wasn't someone from this board. ;)

I got an identical email last week in regard to some books I posted on homeschoolclassifieds.com When I replied that it was "Paypal Only", I got a nasty email. :glare:

Do NOT give them any personal, identifying information...it is a scam!!

PAYPAL PROTECTION FOR BUYER AND SELLER!

I took a mo at one of my first listings.... our bank took it from my dh but said they no longer accept mo's!

I hate paypal fees and such, but also know some people send checks and never get what they pay for.

So, in my opinion, paypal is worth it for the help if something goes wrong.

And that did sound very unsafe to me : demanding a cell number:confused:

Right. I never use Paypal, but I will make it clear I am a real person! And will send you a real check that will clear before you need to send me anything.

I'm fine with PP, but would totally get it if someone emailed me and said "I'm not very comfortable with PayPal, would you accept a check or money order?"

An enumerated list of what I must send the buyer? Not so much.

Apparently, people have gotten hip to the "I'll send you a check for $2500 for the couch you're selling for $150. You pay the movers who will come to pick it up." Uh, yeah.