Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 17

Good morning dolls! Today is the start of week 17 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books - Re-imagining Iliad and Odyssey - Thanks to Bookmarks magazine and their article about authors retelling the ancient stories, discovered a few more interesting books to read. Highlighted on blog.

Which brings to mind the possibility of an Iliad readalong later (much later) in the year. What do you think?

Also highlighted authors birthdays this week including Sue Grafton of the Kinsey Millhone mystery series (She's up to V) and Janet Evanovich, more famously know for her Stephanie Plum series. Read one of their works in their honor.

Read a Russian Author Month: Still plugging away or just starting?

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 16

Edited by Mytwoblessings

Still plugging away on The Brothers Karamazov. New book by Nora Roberts released "The Witness" came in Thursday so of course, everything stopped until I had read it. Love her writing. The main character is very high IQ, almost aspergerish qualities, so made for an interesting read. I gave up on One Hundred Years of Solitude for now. Just couldn't get into it, so put it back on the shelf and will wait for when in the mood. Finished James Scott Bell's Self Editing and Revision which was excellent and I have a notebook chock full of notes. Since I'm working on character development starting Characters, Emotion and Viewpoint from the Great Fiction Series this week. Also still listening to In Death series by J.D. Robb and on #11 Judgment in Death.

Robin,

I also enjoy Bookmarks magazine -- great magazine for any book lover!

My library sent a notice that Witness is in; I think that will move to the top of the stack here, too.

Just finished Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish by Grace Burrowes; it was a charming historical romance.

Began but put aside My Ruthless Prince by Gaelen Foley -- too much impending doom for my taste especially given the large stack of other books waiting.

Now reading Twice Fallen by Emma Wildes which I'm enjoying.

Regards,

Kareni

This week I read Love Wins by Rob Bell. It's always interesting to me to read a book that had controversy surrounding it. Like The Shack and Harry Potter, I wanted to read it for myself.

He brought up some good questions, but I don't think he really gave any good answers. Which is typical of most books I read :lol:! The problems are easy to see, the solutions...not so much ;)!

52 Books - Re-imagining Iliad and Odyssey - Thanks to Bookmarks magazine and their article about authors retelling the ancient stories, discovered a few more interesting books to read. Highlighted on blog.

Which brings to mind the possibility of an Iliad readalong later (much later) in the year. What do you think?

I might participate in an Iliad reading (or reading of an Iliad retelling).

For the Russian author month, I'm finished & still working, lol. Finished The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I'm currently still working on The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin.

At first, I found some of the writing in Grushin's book too flowery, too many long sentences w/ lots of adjectives. But, after getting over the intial hump, I'm coming to love this book & the way it has beautifully morphed into a musing of dreams & reality, of making choices in life, & the touches of artistic beauty & surrealism that float through it. Really lovely.

Still reading Madame Tussaud. I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that it's dragging on somewhat, or maybe it's just me.

Sorry you're slogging through it. :001_unsure:

----------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 on my list).

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (3 stars)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (2 stars, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (4 stars)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (3 stars)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (2 stars)

08. The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (3 stars)

09. Zeroville by Steve Erickson (4.5 stars)

10. Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (4 stars)

11. Hygiene and the Assassin by AmĂƒÂ©lie Nothomb (2 stars)

12. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (3 stars)

13. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (4 stars)

14. The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby (4 stars)

15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (5 stars)

16. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (3 stars)

17. The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino (3 stars)

18. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston (3 stars)

19. Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson (4 stars)

20. Stone Junction by Jim Dodge (3 stars)

21. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio by Amara Lakhous (3 stars)

22. Colony by Hugo Wilcken (5 stars)

23. Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox (3 stars)

24. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (4.5 stars)

25. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (3 stars)

Edited by Stacia

Big week here. I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 and I liked it. Even at over 800 pages it goes pretty quickly. I actually enjoyed the twists and turns of time travel and the depiction of a simpler time more than the historical aspects. I found the portions with Oswald not as interesting. I also read Sarah Addison Allen's The Peach Keeper on the treadmill this week, and the girls and I finished Tom Sawyer as a read-aloud. We had tried it a couple of years ago and it didn't work for us then, but it was a great fit now. My kids could laugh at Tom's antics and follow the plot easily this time.

Up next: hope to get back to Anna Karenina. I also have The Language of Flowers as the May book club person changed her pick to that (from The Paris Wife, after I had already read it). It looks skinny enough to be my treadmill read this week.

This week I finished (drum roll, please) #20 Balzac's Droll Stories! :party:

I think that I lacked the context for Balzac (Rabelais, Boccaccio) but I am not in any hurry to continue my education in this direction at the moment.

I also finished another Gladys Mitchell (#21), Watson's Choice. I highly recommend these mysteries for fans of Sayers who have exhausted her books.

Onward! This week I am reading British comedian Dawn French's novel, A Tiny Bit Marvelous. The book employs a rotating first person narrative, not a favorite style for me, but one which seems to fit this dysfunctional family storyline.

I also plan on reading Death of a Salesman. This Arthur Miller play is back on Broadway which led to an NPR story on its continued relevance.

OKay, I'm back, although I realize that you may not have noticed ;). My parents treated us to a week at Disney. I am NOT a Disney person, so that will be my first and last trip to Disney World unless I weaken when I have grandchildren. I went to Disney Land when I was 8. It's not that I didn't have any fun at all, I did, but for the most part it was not at all my cup of tea.

I'm not sure if I put down that I read the latest First Ladies' Detective Agency novel before I left as I was BUSY :). The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection.

While on holidays, I started a darker novel than I normally read, & I finished it yesterday. It's called The Memory Keeper's Daughter http://www.amazon.com/The-Memory-Keepers-Daughter-Novel/dp/0143037145/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335122533&sr=8-1which I picked up for 50 cents at the Friends of the Library book sale area so I wouldn't have to bring it back if I finished it there. The ratings of this book on Amazon are all over the place so evenly that it ends up with a 3. While I hated many things that the characters did, I think that there are many things that would be unrealitic now that were fairly realistic for the time that it takes place. I can't say that it's my favourite book, that's for sure, but I can see my dad doing something much like David did for much the same reasons. My mother agrees.

Moving on, I am reading another Gladys Mitchell mystery. Such intelligent books!

!

Did you have to use the word intelligent? Now I am nearly compelled to try them even though I am not a mystery reader:tongue_smilie:. I just put a hold on her first novel which I had to find from the virtual catalog as it isn't in my library network.

Thanks!

You should start with Pride and Prescience same author, Carrie Bebris. You need to be open to the mystery/slight paranormal aspect. I felt the author stayed true to the characters otherwise. If you are an Austen purist, these are not for you. I have read some Austen spin-off's that were utterly horrid, some that were ok, and then I have enjoyed a select few. These are among the select few. I'm not a purist but I do like them to stay true to the characters. I can accept some character change if the story explains and makes it believable.

Great info and well put. I am an Austin purist, and so enjoyed the first of the Jane Austen mysteries better than Pride & Prescience :). I think that the author of these has done a great job of writing in Austin's style without infringing on her books (they are fiction about Jane herself.) http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Unpleasantness-Scargrave-Manor-ebook/dp/B001QAP38W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335124217&sr=8-1 I might even read another, and I'm not generally a mystery reader.

Edited by Karin

Sorry you're slogging through it.

Glad you're putting images again. :D

Stacia, no need to be sorry. I think it's either my timing - far too much stress lately and/or the fact that I've read and loved other stuff about the French Revolution and am possibly French Revolution-ed out :lol:. I'm at the point where I just wish she would hurry up and get herself out of France already. :lol: ;)

I read French Kids Eat Everything. Good read - now I want to move to France!!

[/url]

Looks good. :)

I am NOT a Disney person, so that will be my first and last trip to Disney World unless I weaken when I have grandchildren.

:lol:

I hear you. Wouldn't mind going again, but not my favorite place on earth by any means. ;)

Read this a few years ago and liked it. Didn't LOVE it, but liked it well enough.

Books for this week- nothing remarkable

Me:

#30 Augusta, Gone Memoir of a mom with a troubling daughter. First one I 've read that really captured the feelings I had when I was going through similar stuff.

#31 While I Was Gone

DD9

#35 Fooled You

#36Who's Got Spirit

#38 It's All Downhill From Here

Edited by porque
misnumbered

Well, I did not finish a single book this week. I spent most of the week trying to force myself to finish a book of short stories by Ivan Turgenev and as a result just not reading at all. Thursday I finally just abandoned the book (so probably Russian Author Month as well) and got back to reading other books. I'm sad that I'm not finishing the Turgenev book or Russian Author Month, but it's nice to be making progress in my other books again. And I DID finish the main story in the book, Diary of a Superfluous Man. That story was the whole reason I picked this author, so it's not a total loss.

OKay, I'm back, although I realize that you may not have noticed ;). My parents treated us to a week at Disney. I am NOT a Disney person, so that will be my first and last trip to Disney World unless I weaken when I have grandchildren.

I'm with you on that subject! Give me a national park any day!

Did you have to use the word intelligent? Now I am nearly compelled to try them even though I am not a mystery reader:tongue_smilie:. I just put a hold on her first novel which I had to find from the virtual catalog as it isn't in my library network.

Gladys Mitchell was a prolific writer but many of her novels are no longer in print. I have no idea if the bulk are good or just some. I keep reading though that she has been lumped with Sayers, Christie and Chesterton--not bad company!

Well, I did not finish a single book this week. I spent most of the week trying to force myself to finish a book of short stories by Ivan Turgenev and as a result just not reading at all. Thursday I finally just abandoned the book (so probably Russian Author Month as well) and got back to reading other books. I'm sad that I'm not finishing the Turgenev book or Russian Author Month, but it's nice to be making progress in my other books again. And I DID finish the main story in the book, Diary of a Superfluous Man. That story was the whole reason I picked this author, so it's not a total loss.

Turgenev gets the thumbs up from me. I sometimes wonder if the problem with translations is the translation itself. Let's face it: some are more appealing than others.

Well, I managed to finish a book last Sunday night and I haven't finished another one. I'm still working on The Bible Jesus Read but the library wants it back so.......

Here is what I've read so far this year:

1. Radical - Platt

2. The Vikings - Janeway

3. Beorn the Proud

4. A Midsummer night's Dream - Shakespeare

5. Ahab's Wife

6. Books that Build Character

7. Shadow Spinner

8. Adam of the Road

9. The Mystery of the Roman Ransom

10. Raising Real Men - Young

11. The 17th Swap - McGraw

12. Barnheart - Woginrich

Finished:

#18 - Killing Lincoln, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Excellent. A page-turner and I learned some things I'd never heard before. This book actually had me crying like a baby when Lincoln was shot . . . even though that's not news!!! I had to put the book aside and come back later in the day.

Currently reading:

#19 - The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain. Saw this mentioned on one of these threads. Enjoying it so far!

This week...

Started reading:

The Strength of His Hands by Lynn Austin (final book in a GREAT trilogy!!)

Still reading:

The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller

Completed so far:

17. Funny in Farsi

16. The Constantine Codex

15. What the Dog Saw

14. What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission

13. Gods and Kings

12. A Skeleton in God's Closet

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9.Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

I didn't post last week because I hadn't read anything at all! :( Guess the days got away from me.

Today, I just finished "Bitter Harvest" by Sheila Connolly... the most recent in a series of cozy mysteries. I do love those type of books. The character is generally a strong independent woman with a lot on her plate, LOL!!

Someone on this thread reads and recommended the Aunt Dimity series... I picked the first one up yesterday, so I'll look forward to giving that a try. In the meantime, I've got "I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella from the ibrary, so that's up first.

I've read 24 books this year. As I wanted to hit 100 for the year, I need to pick up the pace!!

Getting around to a Russian author is looking increasingly unlikely since my library requests have been rolling in and most of them need to be read quickly since most aren't eligible for renewal.

Finished this week:

# 52 The Hollow. I have been reading a lot of Christie lately, and this was much more enjoyable than the last few have been.

#53 How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read. This is my favorite read so far this year -- just amazing. It's a satirical look at lit crit that raises some interesting points about the actual role that books serve for us on an individual level.

#54 The Housekeeper and the Professor. This is one I heard about on here, and I thought the book was just lovely.

#55 Leviathan (The Unwritten Vol. 4). Graphic novel, and the last one my library has, which is unfortunate since I am definitely hooked.

I've spent this week caring for my sister after surgery so reading has not been a priority.

I did finish The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

I'm still reading Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. I wish I had more of a background in Russian history. I think the story would be easier to understand with more background knowledge.

We are also listening to 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson.

It looks like Book #40 will be The Lifeboat (Charlotte Rogan), one of four books my sister gave me for my birthday. And although I usually skip the challenges, I may well complete First Love (Ivan Turgenev) in time to qualify for the Russian lit challenge.

Books read in 2012 -- 39 to date

â–  iDisorder: Understanding Our Obsession with Technology and Overcoming Its Hold on Us (Larry D. Rosen; non-fiction, psychology/technology)

â–  The Difference (Jean Chatzky; non-fiction, personal finance)

â–  The Pen Commandments (Steven Frank; non-fiction, writing)

â–  Timon of Athens (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  Going Bovine (Libba Bray; YA fiction)

â–  The Memory Palace (Mira BartĂƒÂ³k; memoir)

â–  Mr. Monster (Dan Wells; fiction)

â–  I Don't Want to Kill You (Dan Wells; fiction)

â–  The Fiddler in the Subway (Gene Weingarten; non-fiction, journalism/essays)

â–  The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins; fiction)

â–  The Taming of the Shrew (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg; non-fiction)

â–  Unpacking My Library: Writers and Their Books (Leah Price; non-fiction)

â–  Sister (Rosamund Lupton; fiction)

â–  The Scarlet Pimpernel (Baroness Emmuska Orczy; fiction)

â–  Immortal Bird (Doron Weber; memoir)

â–  Defending Jacob (William Landay; fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 4: Endangered Species (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 3: Animal Armies (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 2: In Captivity (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Woods (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (Jan-Philipp Sendker; fiction)

â–  Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher; YA fiction)

â–  Stop Acting Rich... And Start Living Like a Real Millionaire (Thomas J. Stanley; non-fiction; personal finance)

â–  Our Town (Thornton Wilder; play)

â–  Wool 5 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  The Crucible (Arthur Miller; play)

â–  Wool 4 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Wool 3 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Adventure Unleashed (______ __. _________; unpublished fiction)

â–  Wool 2 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Wool (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  The Project (Brian Falkner; YA fiction)

â–  Like Shaking Hands with God (Kurt Vonnegut, Lee Stringer; non-fiction)

â–  The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

â–  Feed (MT Anderson; fiction)

â–  Coriolanus (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  Artist's Journal Workshop (Cathy Johnson; non-fiction, art)

â–  The English Teacher (Lily King; fiction) __________________

I didn't do hardly any posting this week, and I didn't do all that much reading. But I finished Islam Without Extremes, which was fascinating, and Erewhon. I also read Tom Sawyer Abroad and Tom Sawyer, Detective, but haven't written it up yet.

Here's my great book experience for the week: yesterday my mom and I took my two girls to the Berkeley campus for Cal Day. In the happiest of circumstances, the Doe Library stacks were open for visitors! I haven't been down there since 1995, and since they were brand new then, my mom had never been. We are both librarians so we were very happy! (Although we also spent a lot of time sighing for the old, much cooler stacks.) My kids were as impressed as I could wish. It's just an amazing feeling, looking at this giant vista of books. *sigh of joy*

We also looked up my mom's book in the catalog, and took a picture of that, since we are nerds. Sadly, the book is kept in the Bancroft Library, which was not open to visitors (and never is), so we couldn't go see it. But it's appropriate, since the Bancroft is where the California history is kept--and my mom used to work there!

Also highlighted authors birthdays this week including Sue Grafton of the Kinsey Millhone mystery series (She's up to V) and Janet Evanovich, more famously know for her Stephanie Plum series. Read one of their works in their honor.

This is a challenge that I can do. I think I'll reread the first Sue Grafton book A is for Alibi. I read it twenty years ago and enjoyed it - it will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time.

Turgenev gets the thumbs up from me. I sometimes wonder if the problem with translations is the translation itself. Let's face it: some are more appealing than others.

That's true, but in this case I think it's a matter of content. I just don't like reading about privileged white men, which is what the first two stories (or the first story and what I read of the second) were about. If I knew for sure the next few stories would be "better" I probably would have suffered through the second story and finished the book.

My daughter found Matched on Kindle at the library, read it, and suggested it. I read it over the weekend. It's YA dystopian. Imagine society has figured out the algorithm for figuring out who would be your perfect spouse, the perfect time to have babies, the perfect balance in nutrients/calories for each person, the perfect occupation for each person, etc. All decisions are now made by the "society" for each citizen based on probability of perfection.

It's a trilogy with the third book due out this November.

I'm still working on Uncle Tom's Cabin, Hiroshima Diary, Just a Minute.

#54 The Housekeeper and the Professor. This is one I heard about on here, and I thought the book was just lovely.

:iagree:

Jen, I really liked this one a lot.

My daughter found Matched on Kindle at the library, read it, and suggested it. I read it over the weekend. It's YA dystopian. Imagine society has figured out the algorithm for figuring out who would be your perfect spouse, the perfect time to have babies, the perfect balance in nutrients/calories for each person, the perfect occupation for each person, etc. All decisions are now made by the "society" for each citizen based on probability of perfection.

It's a trilogy with the third book due out this November.

My dd is reading the 2nd one in this series and really likes it. She loves the covers. She says that she never wants a Kindle :lol:. I like my Kindle a lot, but I much prefer holding, feeling and, most importantly smelling a book. :D

Last night I finished Madame Tussaud. It took me longer than usual to finish and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was beginning to drag on. But then I ended up liking it and am grateful to have read her story. I learned a lot and it gave me lots to think about. As far as French Revolution stuff goes, I prefer the Scarlet Pimpernel series and also Tale of Two Cities, but this was also enjoyable. I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

COMPLETE

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

7. 11/22/63, by Stephen King

8. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)

9. Into the Dreaming, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

10. A Judgement In Stone, by Ruth Rendel

11. The Dark River, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 2)

12. The Golden City, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 3)

13. Forbidden Pleasure, by Lora Leigh

14. Relic, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

15. House Rules, by Jodi Picoult

CURRENT

16. Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian:

"The time is 1981, and Sibyl Danforth has been a dedicated midwife in the rural community of Reddington, Vermont, for fifteen years. But one treacherous winter night, in a house isolated by icy roads and failed telephone lines, Sibyl takes desperate measures to save a baby's life. She performs an emergency Caesarean section on its mother, who appears to have died in labor. But what if--as Sibyl's assistant later charges--the patient wasn't already dead, and it was Sibyl who inadvertently killed her?

As recounted by Sibyl's precocious fourteen-year-old daughter, Connie, the ensuing trial bears the earmarks of a witch hunt except for the fact that all its participants are acting from the highest motives--and the defendant increasingly appears to be guilty. As Sibyl Danforth faces the antagonism of the law, the hostility of traditional doctors, and the accusations of her own conscience, Midwives engages, moves, and transfixes us as only the very best novels ever do."

Big week here. I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 and I liked it. Even at over 800 pages it goes pretty quickly. I actually enjoyed the twists and turns of time travel and the depiction of a simpler time more than the historical aspects. I found the portions with Oswald not as interesting.

I felt the same way when I read it! The depictions of the town and the people and the time travel and so on were more interesting than the historical stuff/stuff about Oswald! Really enjoyed the book overall though!

OKay, I'm back, although I realize that you may not have noticed ;). My parents treated us to a week at Disney. I am NOT a Disney person, so that will be my first and last trip to Disney World unless I weaken when I have grandchildren. I went to Disney Land when I was 8. It's not that I didn't have any fun at all, I did, but for the most part it was not at all my cup of tea.

Ooh I love Disney theme parks! :D Welcome back!

I'm still reading Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. I wish I had more of a background in Russian history. I think the story would be easier to understand with more background knowledge.

If you have Netflix download, there is a pretty good documentary called Russian Revolution in Color. It shows the revolution from the perspective of soldiers and how they would have seen it. The Dr. Zhivago movie is on there as well.

... my mom and I took my two girls to the Berkeley campus for Cal Day. In the happiest of circumstances, the Doe Library stacks were open for visitors! I haven't been down there since 1995, and since they were brand new then, my mom had never been. We are both librarians so we were very happy! ...

We also looked up my mom's book in the catalog, and took a picture of that, since we are nerds.

Another one here who visits libraries for fun!

Your mother's book looks quite intriguing. (And, hey, I've been to Bidwell Park in Chico.)

Regards,

Kareni

Hi, Karin. Glad you're back. :001_smile: I totally know what you mean about Disney. It's fine & I enjoy it enough while I'm there, but would never, ever be my first (or second, or third...) choice of destination. I guess I like going to 'real' places & Disney doesn't seem 'real', kwim?

Glad you're putting images again. :D

Just for you, Negin! :lol:

Well, I did not finish a single book this week. I spent most of the week trying to force myself to finish a book of short stories by Ivan Turgenev and as a result just not reading at all. Thursday I finally just abandoned the book (so probably Russian Author Month as well) and got back to reading other books. I'm sad that I'm not finishing the Turgenev book or Russian Author Month,

Based on books you've said you like, I think you'd enjoy both books I've read/am reading for Russian month: The Master & Margarita (read in various reviews that Mirra Ginsburg's translation is one of the best so that's the version I read) and The Dream Life of Sukhanov (esp. if you have any interest at all in art & esp. surrealist art/artists).

#18 - Killing Lincoln, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Excellent. A page-turner and I learned some things I'd never heard before. This book actually had me crying like a baby when Lincoln was shot . . . even though that's not news!!! I had to put the book aside and come back later in the day.

I would like to read this. I read a book about Stanley & Livingstone years ago by Martin Dugard & I really enjoyed his writing.

I've spent this week caring for my sister after surgery so reading has not been a priority.

I did finish The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

Hope your sister is doing better. :grouphug: I know what you mean about wishing you had more background in Russian history. I've felt the same way w/ various books I've read, knowing I'm missing the probably many cultural references, etc... in the text.

Here's my great book experience for the week: yesterday my mom and I took my two girls to the Berkeley campus for Cal Day. In the happiest of circumstances, the Doe Library stacks were open for visitors! I haven't been down there since 1995, and since they were brand new then, my mom had never been. We are both librarians so we were very happy! (Although we also spent a lot of time sighing for the old, much cooler stacks.) My kids were as impressed as I could wish. It's just an amazing feeling, looking at this giant vista of books. *sigh of joy*

We also looked up my mom's book in the catalog, and took a picture of that, since we are nerds. Sadly, the book is kept in the Bancroft Library, which was not open to visitors (and never is), so we couldn't go see it. But it's appropriate, since the Bancroft is where the California history is kept--and my mom used to work there!

Well that's super cool!

I'm reading The Map of Time, and so far, I'm really liking it.

I read that last year & thought it was ok. I had hoped I would like it more than I did. (The cover is lovely, though.) If you enjoy it, you might really enjoy either of these two books: The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (which I love) &/or The Somnambulist (which I enjoyed more than The Map of Time).

Happy Reading, Everyone!

I finished A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce), Julie & Julia, and Wherever You Go, There You Are last week.

The first two were very enjoyable, quick reads. I'm not really a mystery lover, but Flavia is just such a snarky, smart, spunky girl that I can't help but love her. :) And Alan Bradley is a very gifted writer!

I am a not-snobby foodie with a sailor mouth who adores Tony Bourdain, so Julie & Julia was right up my alley. It wasn't particularly revolutionary or enlightening writing, but entertaining nonetheless :tongue_smilie:.

Wherever was really good- it's not a big book, but it took me awhile to read it because in addition to having loads of information about practicing mindfulness, it had a lot on the contemplative/philosophical side. Deeply inspirational, and I need to read it again.

I have a veritable SLEW of books on my shelf right now and am not sure what I'll end up finishing this week. I've already started The Night Circus, Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child, and Proust Was a Neuroscientist, and I picked up Great Expectations (did anyone see the recent Masterpiece version? STUNNING!), Christianity After Religion, and The Know-It-All today at the library.

My list for the year:

1. Skippy Dies

2. Raising Freethinkers

3. The Collaborative Habit

4. By Heart

5. Lost Memory of Skin

6. Hunger Games #1

7. AhabĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Wife

8. The Sisters Brothers

9. The Feast Nearby

10. Parenting Beyond Belief

11. Hunger Games #2

12. The Shallows

13. Hunger Games #3

14. Momma Zen

15. Why Read Moby-Dick?

16. The Housekeeper and the Professor

17. The Creative Habit

18. Life of Pi

19. The Happiness Project

20. Wayward Saints

21. Protector of the Small: First Test

22. Girl Reading

23. Protector of the Small: Page

24. Protector of the Small: Squire

25. Protector of the Small: Lady Knight

26. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that CanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Stop Talking

27. A Thousand Acres

28. A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce)

29. Julie & Julia

30. Wherever You Go, There You Are

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire

Mockingjay

The Hunger Games Companion

The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head

Spontaneous Happiness

The New Bi-Polar Disorder Survival Guide.

New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder

The Giver

Unnatural Selection

Breaking Dawn (again)

Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them

Trick or Treatent

Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine Is Making US Sicker & Poorer

How to Not Look Old

Style on a Shoestring

Currently reading: Still reading Sybil Exposed. Stephen King's new book is next on the list.

If you have Netflix download, there is a pretty good documentary called Russian Revolution in Color. It shows the revolution from the perspective of soldiers and how they would have seen it. The Dr. Zhivago movie is on there as well.

Thanks! I don't have Netflix (country living) but I might be able to download something. I read some Wikipedia info on the Russian Revolution and Dr. Zhivago so I'm a little more informed. I wasn't really so far off with my guesses about the political and social climate but it's good to be better informed.

Still reading Madame Tussaud. I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that it's dragging on somewhat, or maybe it's just me.

I don't know what book I read about her, but I thought it dragged too. Maybe she's just not as interesting as we expect her to be? :tongue_smilie:

I just finished Twelfth Night for the Shakespeare study group. I liked it well enough, but I'm feeling a bit discouraged. My comprehension suffers when I read a play as compared to a novel so I'm really relying on being able to watch a dvd version when I'm done, but we're having trouble finding dvds we like! I never did find a version of The Tempest or Much Ado that I was really happy with so now I'm afraid I won't find a good one of Twelfth Night either. :(

Rosie

I don't know what book I read about her, but I thought it dragged too. Maybe she's just not as interesting as we expect her to be? :tongue_smilie:

Yes, that could be it. ;) :lol:

For me, I think it was also timing and stress. When I'm going through stress, etc. - I find it very hard to focus on and enjoy a book.

Also, above as Rosie mentioned (not as interesting of a person as I was hoping she'd be), as well as possible French Revolution burnout - Scarlet Pimpernel, Tale of Two Cities, etc. - although I haven't read either in about 8 years ... But they certainly made an impact.

Is this anything like Diane Gabaldon and The Outlander Series?

Unfortunately, no. It's much fluffier, not all of the books follow the same characters, it's more a romance story with a highlander theme and with a bit of fantasy stuff (a little bit of paranormal/time travel) mixed in. A fun read but nowhere near the depth of or as fascinating as the Outlander series!

I read them because I liked the "Dark" series by the same author (Karen Marie Moning) and thought I'd check her other series out. I liked the Dark series much better- that's like an "urban, paranormal fantasy" series and if you like series about vampires and the like, particularly by authors like J.R. Ward, Laurel K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, etc., you'd like those.

Edited by NanceXToo

I got a little behind in my reading, but I'm finally caught up after a few days at the lake. In the past two weeks I've read:

#14 Through My Eyes by Nathan Whitaker and Tim Tebow

#15 Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

#16 One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

#17 Ketchup is a Vegetable and Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves by Robin O'Bryant

Pretty diverse group of books, although two would definitely be considered fluff. I've read all the Evanovich books and I feel like I need to know what's going on with Stephanie and Joe/Ranger, but they are all the same and I don't laugh like I used to when blowing through one of the books.

Ketchup is a Vegetable had me in tears I was laughing so hard. I read several pages outloud to my husband as we were driving down the road because I just had to share with someone. The book is a compilation of blog entries by a woman who had three daughters in a short period of time. I could totally relate to many of her gut-busting stories. It's available in the Amazon Kindle Lending Library.

The Tebow book started out slow for me, but I put it down to read Evanovich and then was able to pick it up and finish quickly. I enjoyed reading more about his college career and his faith and the bond the coaches and team had. I love SEC football. :)

I really wanted to love the Ann Voskamp book. She writes beautifully, but I often felt like it was just too much. It was like reading a 200+ page poem that I just couldn't quite get. The premise of the book was great and I love the idea, but I struggled to get through.

Just picked up Sold by Patricia McCormick after the rave reviews in these threads.