Menu

What's your favorite word?

Fluctuating. That's a good one.

or its cousin "fluctuant." It just sounds so wonderfully squishy (in a gross sort of way! :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread! I just LOVE words. I used to have a running unspoken game with a nurse I worked with. I would make a point of trying to use an unusual word when I wrote my notes (after seeing a patient) and she would make a point of then trying to use that word the following week, when updating me about certain patients (to let me know that she was reading my notes without actually telling me). (Most nurses, at least where I've worked, don't read doctors' notes, so it was fun that she was actually reading them in the first place! The vocabulary game was a bonus!)

I like extrapolate. I have to check the spelling though.

I also like jello. I like the way it sounds.

I, too, like extrapolate... it reminds me of the interview with Billy Sheehan where he used the word and then (when learning what the word diatonic meant) stating that he just played something "diatonacious".

I like words that sound woody... can't stand the tinny ones.

I like the fact that one can't say laugh without smiling...at least, this one can't.

Slartibartfast was almost the name of the dog we got a couple of years ago, simply because I giggled so much at the way the man said his name in the movie (Hitchhiker's Guide). It's a good thing I gave him an easy name like Fiver because I wouldn't have been able to train him at all with all that giggling.:D

I have to say my mantra is Haagen-Dazs. You can't say that without exhaling a nice cleansing breath. Everything about it is relaxing--especially the eating!:w00t:

Crass is good. But I would not consider it "woody". Trying to think of what makes a word "woody". It's the vowels right!?

I have a "tinny" name and dislike it. I refused to use the letter i in my children's names. I thought I was the only one.

Crass is good. But I would not consider it "woody". Trying to think of what makes a word "woody". It's the vowels right!?

I have a "tinny" name and dislike it. I refused to use the letter i in my children's names. I thought I was the only one.

I think you're right. Crass is neither woody nor tinny. It seems to be maybe.. aquatic?? organic??

garrulous

arduous

conundrum

ludicrous

stymied

tenacious

superfluous

interminable

obdurate

scintillating

and my favorite word already mentioned is defenestrate. "Oh my, that fireman is going to defenestrate the lady!" Gets um every time... :lol:

Or how about, "Pediatricians warn against the risks of young children defenestrating themselves." :001_huh: I have yet to talk to a single person who knows the definition. It's quite fun to mess with them. ;)

Oops... I remembered two more favorites!

Fecund. (fertile) Great word. Shocks people everywhere. It was a vocab. word in my senior year. My best friend and I just loved saying, "My, but they are as fecund as rabbits!" :tongue_smilie:

And I also like the word fard for the same reason (innocent words that have great shock value). It means, "to apply make up." :D

When I was a kid, my dad would have said "well" was my favorite word. He called me the well-bird because I started almost every sentence with "Well, ..." ;)

I guess that is why you like the Well-Trained Mind!

My teen's favorite word in English is propitious. Her favorite in Latin is inimicitia ... every other letter is an 'i'.

Regards,

Kareni

I am partial to arguendo (for the sake of argument), and sua sponte (to act spontaneously without prompting from another party), which are common legal terms.

My knowledge of Latin does not extend beyond legal terminology, but I love the few words I know because they sum things up so neatly without excess verbiage.

• 5 years later...

Pet

Let's have fun with our favorite words at FavoriteWords.com! I liked what I saw there so far and am very interested.

Apparently it is bugga,

as in, "Bugga, this is a resurrectionist thread. I got excited to see Plaid Dad was back but then saw the date."

Yeah, apparently we have a spammer. Three posts, and the two I looked at are identical posts and on old threads.

I like "absolutely", as in "absolutely not!", which I use with my kids often. :)

We purposely butcher the work therapeutic because of an Andy Griffith episode, where Barney pronounces it "Thera-pettic." Therapeutic just doesn't sound right any more.

Boogered or boogery. For when we get fabric pills on our sheets or clothes. "The sheets are all boogered up. We need new ones."

Malady, insipid, passe