Menu

Prayers Please (Mortgage)

Just spoke w/mortgage broker. She's going to do some checking, see if there are lenders that would take us even w/Wolf being on probation til Sept.

If you wouldn't mind praying hard that there is someone, w/a decent % rate, so that we don't spend the next 6 mths throwing $ away on rent and can get out of this mobile while I still have a shred of sanity left, I'd appreciate it!!

:grouphug: and praying. Keep us posted!

One good thing about being in small quarters . . . if I may be so bold . . . you can honestly tell MIL that there is no room for her (or her sister). But it does not sound as if that would make a difference to them :glare:

:D

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but are you sure it's a good idea to purchase a new home while Wolf is still on probation with his new job?

(Sorry!!! I'm really not trying to be discouraging about this, because I know you really want to get out of your rental -- I just don't want to see you stuck with a house if the job doesn't work out for the long term.)

:grouphug: and praying. Keep us posted!

One good thing about being in small quarters . . . if I may be so bold . . . you can honestly tell MIL that there is no room for her (or her sister). But it does not sound as if that would make a difference to them :glare:

:D

She's already been told no, that's not going to change.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but are you sure it's a good idea to purchase a new home while Wolf is still on probation with his new job?

(Sorry!!! I'm really not trying to be discouraging about this, because I know you really want to get out of your rental -- I just don't want to see you stuck with a house if the job doesn't work out for the long term.)

I don't doubt that he'd be able to pick up another job quickly, we've seen job ads for what he does for the town. The places we're looking at would cost the same as we pay in rent, so even if the job didn't work out, we'd still have to pay for somewhere to live. I'd rather pay a mortgage than flush $ away on rent.

Honestly, the way we're looking at it is probably a bit weird, but I'll explain...

So many things that had been delayed, doors we thought were closed opened for this move. Things fell exactly into place as we needed them to for us to move here.

If we get approved now, great. If we don't, we'll go back to our original plan, which is applying when Wolf's probation is done at work.

The property we're looking at is vacant, and has been since May, last yr when it was listed.

I honestly have faith that things will happen as they're meant to, and I'm ok w/that. I realize that my timing isn't God's, and if He wants us to wait, there's a good reason for it.

Yes, I'd rather be out of this mobile sooner than later. I'd rather not throw the next 6 mths worth of rent down the drain when we're looking at a mortgage that would carry for the same...but at the same time, if the answer is not right now, I'm ok w/that.

If you get one, try to lock in a rate for as long as possible. All signs point to the BoC raising the prime rate pretty soon.

I've heard that.

My problem is, I'm completely ignorant as to how mortgages work, in terms of 'variable rates', etc.

I probably need to start a spin off thread so I can learn what all the terms mean, and how they're applied!

I've heard that.

My problem is, I'm completely ignorant as to how mortgages work, in terms of 'variable rates', etc.

I probably need to start a spin off thread so I can learn what all the terms mean, and how they're applied!

I answered you on your other thread. :001_smile:

The property we're looking at is vacant, and has been since May, last yr when it was listed.

I'd rather not throw the next 6 mths worth of rent down the drain when we're looking at a mortgage that would carry for the same...

The only problem is that, unless you live in a rare area where real estate values are increasing, you may be throwing more than 6 months worth of rent money down the drain if you end up having to sell the house within the next few years. Renting could actually end up saving you money over time, if the home you buy ends up going down in value, or if it took you a long time to re-sell it -- which could easily happen in the current economy.

Is there a possibility of doing some sort of "rent with an option to buy" deal on the house you like, where a portion of your rent money would apply to the purchase of the house if you end up buying it within a year or so?

The only problem is that, unless you live in a rare area where real estate values are increasing, you may be throwing more than 6 months worth of rent money down the drain if you end up having to sell the house within the next few years. Renting could actually end up saving you money over time, if the home you buy ends up going down in value, or if it took you a long time to re-sell it -- which could easily happen in the current economy.

Is there a possibility of doing some sort of "rent with an option to buy" deal on the house you like, where a portion of your rent money would apply to the purchase of the house if you end up buying it within a year or so?

I'm in Canada, and our economy is different from the US...quite healthy in comparison. In fact, Bank of Canada is looking to raise % rates.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that the real estate agent we're talking to did approach the owners about us renting it before Wolf found this place, and they refused...I know someone was approached about it, who had a vacant place, dunno if it was this property though.

Good luck with whatever happens. I hope it works out the way you want it to.

Devil's Advocate (feel free to ignore as we are happy renters after years of owning homes :001_smile:): For the first few years of a mortgage you are only paying minimal dollars to principal. Not to mention the pressure that comes with that obligation. We like being able to control our housing expenses while still staying in desirable areas.

Good luck with whatever happens. I hope it works out the way you want it to.

Devil's Advocate (feel free to ignore as we are happy renters after years of owning homes :001_smile:): For the first few years of a mortgage you are only paying minimal dollars to principal. Not to mention the pressure that comes with that obligation. We like being able to control our housing expenses while still staying in desirable areas.

See, there is very little in terms of available rental here. rentals that will accept pets are fewer still.

Wolf did the very best he could to find us a place, and the very best option was the mobile we're currently in.

My sanity won't survive yrs here.

See, there is very little in terms of available rental here. rentals that will accept pets are fewer still.

Wolf did the very best he could to find us a place, and the very best option was the mobile we're currently in.

My sanity won't survive yrs here.

I am in the same situation as you. We just sold our place and we couldn't find a rental in our range that accepted pets. The places we found we were always second in line for and I searched every day and made calls as soon as they came up. We ended renting a mobile and it isn't our ideal. We are spending too much to rent it. I hope you are able to buy a place soon. You are in my thoughts. Hopefully in September you can get your place.