Menu

Do you consider conventions to be an important part of your homeschooling?

TheAutumnOak

How important is a homeschool conference to you?  

1. 1. How important is a homeschool conference to you?

• They are vital to me and I would travel to another state to go to one
    • They are fine, but I would only go if it is local (no hotel stay)
    • They are just not that important to me, and I typically don't go to them

I am facing the decision of whether to go up to Conn. to the big conference, and I am debating how necessary going to a conference really is in the big scheme of things...They have really great speakers and I have never been to a big conference before (they cancelled last year's on us :()...

Anyhow, I am wondering if going to a conference is worth the loss of homeschooling dollars if you have to stay in a hotel in another state to go to the conference?...Do you feel inspired, motivated, or whatever, enough to make the cost worth it?...I know there is no one best answer for everyone, I am just wondering how others see it since I am not 100% sure how I feel about it...I would really love to go to some of those classes though ;)

I've never been to one. Just be careful of not getting pulled onto any bandwagons. When you isolate any group of people, group psychology weirdness can come into play, and you can wake up a week later and think, "what was I thinking?" and have some expensive items you don't want.

Well, I did travel to another state to go to one, two years in a row, and I'm glad I did, but I don't think it's "vital" to my homeschooling, so I didn't vote that way. :)

If it were convention vs. buying curriculum needed for the year, I wouldn't go to the convention.

The convention was a nice break from taking care of the family, since I went without the family. I got recharged listening to the speakers I hadn't heard yet. I got to see curriculum in person that I wasn't completely sure about online. So yes, it was a good thing for me. But I will still easily be able to buy curriculum for the year afterward.

If money were super tight, I would not have gone.

I am too intimidated to go! There are so many free samples of products online and great forums like this one where you can talk to people about what to use. With my personality, I'm afraid I would buy way too much and regret it later! I have thought about going just to hear some of the speakers, but haven't done it yet. My friends are split on conferences- half love them, and half would never go.

I've never been to one. Just be careful of not getting pulled onto any bandwagons. When you isolate any group of people, group psychology weirdness can come into play, and you can wake up a week later and think, "what was I thinking?" and have some expensive items you don't want.

Oh, and make a list of what you plan to buy, or don't buy at the convention (prices usually aren't any better than online anyway). That helped me avoid this problem. There is one thing I came out deciding to buy after listening to the speaker, but I had already been eyeing it for a while anyway, and I won't buy it until next month, so that gives me plenty of time to ruminate. ;) The only thing I bought new at the convention was something I knew I wanted already and had planned to buy there because tax is less than shipping cost for that one vendor.

So yes, you do need to go in with an open mind and remember that people are trying to sell you things. :)

We went to a few when we first started our homeschool career. Did the whole thing...listen to the speakers and shop the curriculum fair. As Hunter said there were a lot of bandwagons that were the vibe that fed the convention. And yes, had the wake up a few weeks later moment and wonder why did we buy that experience. I am considering going to the IOwa convention this year (it has been over 15yrs since the last convention we went to) but for the soul purpose of looking at HOD and MFW curriculum. I want to hold the TM in my hand and look through them. I would not even consider this if I knew someone with a guide or had a homeschool store near by.

I do not find a homschool convention important to my homeschooling needs.

I love going to conventions...the bigger the better bc the speakers are better and the variety of topics greater. However, I am also a penny pincher! We have nothing but a teeny weeny 1 day convention locally though, so no matter what I would need a hotel stay. We drive in early Friday and leave evening Saturday to make it one night. Brownie

I don't think "vital" is the same as "worth it." If you can afford it and like the line up, then go and get inspired, check out the vendors, meet people, etc. If money or time is tight, then skip it for now and know that while it might have been good, it might have been blah and either way, it's hardly vital.

I've been to one or two down in GA....but since moving up here, no. I'm waaaaaay too far away from any convention and won't spend the money for a hotel.

They were important to me the one or two times I went and was fairly new to homeschooling.....but I've been doing this for about 10 years now and don't feel the need.

Besides, I never have any money when the conventions roll into MN. :D

Well, I voted "vital" because I have traveled to another state to attend one for two years in a row. Although, really- I don't think conventions are necessary for me to successfully homeschool. I really enjoy them and always come away refreshed and energized for a new year. It is the only time of year that Dh and I go away together- we enjoy the seminars & the Friday night comedy. It's a really fun time for us.

I really do think that we should continue reading & learning about homeschooling, teaching, etc. as we go along- kind of like annual training that most jobs do- so I consider this to be like professional development for myself.

I put vital, but I am actually somewhere between fine and vital. I am lucky enough to have a big local one each year, so I only have to pay for parking :) I would travel for one if they weren't local, but I don't think it is vital enough to do it every year. But once in awhile I would spring for it. There have been times some of the bigger name speakers are at some I would have to travel for, and I would spring to go to those or to the memoria press ones at least once if I didn't have my local one every year. I do get inspired, and occasionally hear a speaker at mine from whom I really learn something good that sticks with me and helps me along. I figure I am always picking up little nuggets of info too that I file away for future use.

ETA.. yes, like a PP said, I consider it professional training. My mother, a P.S. teacher goes to at least one a year too. And when I worked in business I was always going away to a training of some sort or another. Others complained about those and the time away from home. But I always enjoyed them and learned something useful there too.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I don't know about the big conferences, but remember you can pay to listen to some of the speakers via MP3.

I like ours because the used book sale is very large, I always learn something at the approximately 5 sessions I go to and I love seeing the curriculum in person. BUT, the one I have attended is either 30 minutes, or 3 hours away depending on the year.

This is only my first year homeschooling, so my need for the convention may lessen in the future some years.

I always seem to have a good idea of what I want to use each year (and the next) and when I go to a convention, I feel like I am back at square one. They are way too overwhelming. That being said, we have a huge one hosted each year in our city, and I like to go hear some of the speakers and check out new products. It definitely takes a couple weeks after a convention for my head to stop spinning, though.

I don't know if I would pay hotel and travel costs each year. Maybe once?

I don't consider them vital but I enjoy them. I see them as a way for me to get re-charged and motivated at time when I am typically burned out a little.

I usually make a family weekend out of it and we stay in a hotel. DH takes the kids to a zoo or museums for the day while I'm at the conference so everyone is happy.

I've been to a conference about 4 or 5 times and I don't buy a lot but I love Miller Pad and Paper and stock up with them!

I have been home schooling for about 11 years now, and went to my first conference 3 years ago, with a group of ladies who have all been doing it for awhile too. It was good to hear some great speakers, and Tim Hawkins made me laugh so hard it hurt! I got a free movie: Amazing Grace for going to Walden Media, met Susan Wise Bauer and Andrew Pudewa. So, even though there was alot of walking and I had to push our infant in a stroller, it was vital to me that year. I think I spent a little too much, but ended up re selling for a good price ( most of what I did buy) after using some of it.

This year I went to another state ( alot closer) and a friend went so we split the hotel and gas. It was so much cheaper all around too.

No hard to book speakers, although the main one, was very good.

The used book booths were nice to be able to look at books I had been researching. And I sold enough books there to pay for the trip and buy books ($50) and a week's worth of groceries. That helped me tremendously!

The atmosphere was good too, very low key, no pressure to buy anything, and everyone was pleasant.

I emailed, and looked at the speaker list, the vendor list, and decided it was going to be worth it to get a break, be encouraged, and not do alot of walking or driving.

I am having a rough pregnancy though, or I would have been tempted to go to Cincy again. I think I will still go to the closer one next year and maybe Cincy the next year.

It depends on life and money too!

BTW: I have spent more since joining this forum, than at any convention!

I said they're fine. If something like GHC was close enough, I'd try to find a way to go.

That said, there will be a convention local to me this year, in easy driving distance, that I won't be attending. Less than half of the workshops have anything to do with academics, and they don't attract the likes of SWB, Jay Wile, Chris Perrin, Circe, and such that I'd love to hear. There are workshops like "The HS mom's guide to romance," "Setting a paradigm for purity," "Raising sons," and "Household expenses." Very few of the academic workshops look geared for someone beyond the newbie stage, and they don't offer a cheaper pass for just attending the vendor hall.

I went to one when SWB and a couple of other good speakers were there. I resisted any impulse buys. I felt no mob psychology. I had a good time seeing other WTMers (we put tags on and often only had time to wave).

Since that one year, most of the speakers have been less than stellar, the bios on them stress how much they love their husbands and that their parents were missionaries. One this year is a speaker (not just a table) touting his investing advice company. I looked his web site over. I consider these people predatorial ("I got 600% gain on my IRA, find out how I did it") and I'm spitting mad the WHO are having him as a speaker gearing a talk towards homeschoolers.

So, a convention of academic talks I'd drive or even fly to. But most seem to be pep rallies/shopping malls for religious homeschoolers. What a bummer.

No, because we don't have any :D

I live in Aus, rurally. The "closest" thing to a convention is a homeschool camp (they do have speakers though), once a year, that is about 3 hours away. DH wouldn't be able to get away for a week, so we'd be left with the 1 day pass (includes used curriculum fair, and guest speaker), I missed it last year, and this year they didn't have the 1 day option on the site, so missed out this year too.

Conventions are like the mythical unicorn to me. Never seen it, don't know much about it, but I have this urge to find one, go up to it and go "oooohh pretty horse" :001_tt1:

:lol:

I probably wouldn't categorize it at "vital" but don't tell husband :) I've gone for the past four years with my teenagers who love the world-view conference and the sessions that are history-based. Hubby watches the littles except for one year when I took a newborn (that was an interesting year!). The youngers get to enjoy Daddy time without Mom and I get to enjoy Mom time without them.

I don't have to drive to a different state but I would if I had to. We always use part of our tax refund for the expense.

Honestly, as someone else said, I've purchased more unnecessary materials by hanging out here on the boards than I have while strolling in the vendor's hall.

We had a local one that was education-oriented, and I went a number of years very early in the morning to help with set-up and got free admission and lunch. Over the years there were a number of classical speakers. So it was a win-win, with no investment on my part but gas and effort. Then DH had multiple summers of medical problems, and I stopped going. And there were facility issues that stopped it last year when I was finally able to go again. So that was that.

I don't forsee going to one anytime soon. It is too much money and time at this point, and I can pretty much work out things on my own anyway. The last time that I went I enjoyed talking with several of the speakers and vendors, but I didn't buy much at all.

I love going to conferences IF they have speakers there speaking on topics that interest me. I went to the one kalanamak mentioned with SWB and Andrew Pudewa. That was the best conference! I came away motivated, refreshed, and excited for the new year. The following year I went to the conference with such anticipation but it was a total let down. The last two years the speaking topics just have not been worth it for me to go. You mentioned there are some great speakers lined up that interest you. For me, this would make it worth my while and I would attend.

If you really are thinking you'd like to spend the money elsewhere though, is there a way you could purchase and download the talks to listen to at home? I know Jennefer at SSA mentioned on her blog that she does her own conference "at home." She purchases the talks she wants to hear, downloads them, then goes off to the library and coffee shops for a day or two and listens to them. This might be another option that could work for you.

I have never been to a conference and don't feel the loss. Honestly, I don't think I would even go if it were local. From what I hear on these boards, the conferences mostly seem geared towards other 'lifestyle' issues than education. I am not a fundamentalist christian so I am not the target audience.

I get much, much more from these boards. This board is worth more to me than any conference.

No.

I've been to a big one once and it was overwhelming. The expense does not justify it if you have to pay for gas and hotel costs and eating out, it's easily a $300 ordeal. (and thats not even factoring in the cost of food at home becsuse my dh will eat out twice a day witt the kids) And since the whole thing is MEaNT to make $, it's all set up to make your purchase and even the thriftiest of us will end up spending extra money.

Now...all that said...if its a vacation and inspiration for you, then go if you have the money!!! Most conventions support local or statewide support groups who in turn support your state lobbyists and create many opportunities for homeschoolers. They are good for the community as a whole.

Lastly it's something an extrovert will enjoy more than an introvert.

I totally enjoyed my time when I went but I spent half the day alone in the pool! I enjoyed my fellowship with my friends and my break from being a mom.

Edited by Calming Tea

Tahara, is SWB going to be at that convention? The ones that have SWB (of the 5 regional ones) seem to be doing well. As far as the benefit of going, well I honestly think personality factors into that. For an introvert, the convention is more of a task, where you're balancing whether the benefits outweigh the hardness of it (lots of people, lots of bustle). Then there are people like me, extroverts to the T, who get really pumped up by being around 15,000 people. When I go, there are lots of people from my area, so usually I'm turning around and gabbing to someone else I know. It's just really big and exciting for me. And the very thing that makes it that way for me could make it a big DRAIN for someone else.

The workshops will be as good as they look on paper. Only you can know how being with thousands of people will work out for you. For me it helps me focus on the coming year and forces me to narrow down what I'm thinking and stop being so ethereal. It excites me and lets me know I'm not alone. For me, that's really, really important. I go every single year and have for years and years. (I went to my first convention when dd was a baby! LOL) But I know other people who have never been to a convention and are fine. For me, there's that psychological benefit. It's sort of a team rally before the big game, kwim? For me it's really important. For someone else, maybe not so much.

If SWB isn't going to the Conn. convention, then you might consider coming to Cincinnati this week instead. I know that's a drive and a sudden move, but it would be worth it. I can guarantee you the Ăƒâ€¡iny one will be amazing, and it isn't getting canceled. We're having a board get together. It's just a LOT of fun. :)

Oh, and make a list of what you plan to buy, or don't buy at the convention (prices usually aren't any better than online anyway). That helped me avoid this problem. There is one thing I came out deciding to buy after listening to the speaker, but I had already been eyeing it for a while anyway, and I won't buy it until next month, so that gives me plenty of time to ruminate. ;) The only thing I bought new at the convention was something I knew I wanted already and had planned to buy there because tax is less than shipping cost for that one vendor.

So yes, you do need to go in with an open mind and remember that people are trying to sell you things. :)

:iagree:

Boscopup you are a genius of how to prevent what I was worried about. Just don't buy anything while you are there. Just LOOK and come home empty handed until you debrief.

Yes, SWB is teaching 6 classes at this convention...Lots of speakers will be there, including Michael Clay Thompson, Andrew Kern, and Jim Weiss...

Ok, that one would be worth it for sure. We have gotten Andrew Pudewa here one year, and I went to every one of his. They were great. I have gone to some on high school and dual enrollment for some future knowledge to file away. But a lot of ours are like others said about lifestyles and such. Even those, I occasionally attend and get something out of them. So I am one that will pick and choose and find something even when there is not a lot to pick from educationally and still be happy I went. Just going to those 6 SWB ones in person would make the whole thing worth going for. My 3 Pudewa ones made my local one worth it that year. When they are in person you can ask questions!

I am an introvert too, but just as far as I want to go alone and listen and learn alone. I don't want to go with my friends. I see lots of friends and talk a lot at ours, but I try to actually go and attend seminars alone, not sitting with a friend that wants to talk.

Before we moved, we lived in a town near where there is a yearly homeschool conference. I lived close enough that I could do volunteer work the week before and go for free. I would have never paid to go. This was a pretty big deal...meaning that people from all over came to this and paid to get in, paid to stay at hotels, etc. Well, I don't mean to imply that I know everything...because I don't. But....every.single.time I went to any of the "workshops"....it was always no-brainer information. I sat there thinking this is such a waste of time....and other people are sitting there like it was the biggest lightbulb moment of their life. Of all the years I went, I rarely learned anything different or new. The only thing I really enjoyed going to, and still miss a little, is the used book sale. Looking around at the vendors was kind of fun too.

Ok, that one would be worth it for sure. We have gotten Andrew Pudewa here one year, and I went to every one of his. They were great. I have gone to some on high school and dual enrollment for some future knowledge to file away. But a lot of ours are like others said about lifestyles and such. Even those, I occasionally attend and get something out of them. So I am one that will pick and choose and find something even when there is not a lot to pick from educationally and still be happy I went. Just going to those 6 SWB ones in person would make the whole thing worth going for. My 3 Pudewa ones made my local one worth it that year. When they are in person you can ask questions!

I am an introvert too, but just as far as I want to go alone and listen and learn alone. I don't want to go with my friends. I see lots of friends and talk a lot at ours, but I try to actually go and attend seminars alone, not sitting with a friend that wants to talk.

Andrew Pudewa will be at this as well...So will Marcia Somerville from TOG...The main classes I really want to attend are by SWB...They are talks that are not sold at Peace Hill Press because they are new...There are others that are interesting to me as well...

As far as curriculum buying, I already know what I need (I have my list :))...I guess what I am wondering is whether or not it is worth it to go to hear people speak...I agree with the PP who said it will be at least a $300 affair...

I am facing the decision of whether to go up to Conn. to the big conference, and I am debating how necessary going to a conference really is in the big scheme of things...They have really great speakers and I have never been to a big conference before (they cancelled last year's on us :()...

Anyhow, I am wondering if going to a conference is worth the loss of homeschooling dollars if you have to stay in a hotel in another state to go to the conference?...Do you feel inspired, motivated, or whatever, enough to make the cost worth it?...I know there is no one best answer for everyone, I am just wondering how others see it since I am not 100% sure how I feel about it...I would really love to go to some of those classes though ;)

I am wrapping up my tenth year at home and have never been to a homeschool conference! You don't have never on your poll, so I did not vote. So, obviously, in the big scheme of things it is totally unnecessary. However, if you have the time and money, go for it!

HTH-

Mandy

I went to the Memphis 'Great' convention last year and LOVED it! I was SUPPOSED to be leaving to go to the Cincinnati convention on Thursday, but plans were changed . . . (I am trying not to be bitter . . .:glare:). ANYWAY, it is totally worth the effort, especially if you are able to go with a good friend or two. My friends and I had a blast just being away together; the convention speakers were a huge bonus and we learned a lot, too. ;) I felt energized and encouraged and refreshed. If it is at all possible, I would go. :001_smile:

I agree with PPs: make a list of what you want to look at and/or purchase and STICK TO IT! :D

Hope you get to go!!

I've never been to one because none of the ones around here are secular. My friend went to one once and said that even the seminars she went to that sounded like they wouldn't be religious in nature, had people talking about exorcising demons and crap like that. Not my cup of tea. Now if they had a local secular convention, I'd go in a heartbeat.

I've never been to one because none of the ones around here are secular. My friend went to one once and said that even the seminars she went to that sounded like they wouldn't be religious in nature, had people talking about exorcising demons and crap like that. Not my cup of tea. Now if they had a local secular convention, I'd go in a heartbeat.

:iagree:

That's why I won't go. I went last year and it was very disappointing.

I really enjoy my local convention. It is very Christian, and that can admittedly be annoying even to a Christian since I don't homeschool for religious reasons. However, I did get to sit through 10 hours of SWB lectures one year and I always manage to find something fun and encouraging. I pick up a few items at discounts that pay for the expense of the ticket and have gotten to look at things that I hear about hear and long to see.

I don't consider conventions vital. I have learned from them, recharged during them, and enjoyed them. I wouldn't pay a fortune to go though.

I've been homeschooling for 12 years now and have never been to a convention. I have absolutely zero interest in them. Now, if I could meet up after hours with people like my friend Julie (Bogart of Bravewriter) and SWB just to hang out and drink wine, I'd be up for that. But the convention part of it? Um, no. Definitely not my cuppa.

Yes and No. Let me explain.....

I have been HSing since 2010. I didnt attend a convention until last year (2011) and i will be going again this year.

When I started HSing EVERYONE has a different opinion on which curriculum and where to buy it. I was overwhelmed. I knew i could look at samples online and reviews, but i needed to narrow it all down somehow and look at it IN MY HANDS. Thats why I went last year. I had to narrow things down. Im glad I went. We found the curriculum that fit us and I dont think online it would of worked.

** Plus the Duggars were there and that was a nice treat!

Now why am i going again if im not new?

Well, because we made a few curriculum changes and I need to buy the curriculum. I know now where to buy it online, but id have to pay shipping (i know some are offering free shipping now or discounts at least)... but also because its like a refresher for me.

I can go and even if i dont buy anything, hear anything or look at anything- this is a room of thousands of people who HOMESCHOOL! They get it. They understand it. I could walk up to a stranger and say " hey what did you think of XYZ" and we can compare and understand each other.

I wouldnt go out of state or travel for a convention. I wouldnt go without a plan and i dont know if ill keep going, but for right now I will. Its WORTH it to me :)

Well, I didn't vote because I've never been, but this year will be my first one, and I am excited. While I did hs our older boys, it wasn't the way or with the outcomes that I desired, and in reality, I'm still mostly a hs newbie.

Mostly I am looking forward to seeing and holding and talking about all the different curriculums that I read about. I'm just such a visual, tactile person that I will gain SO MUCH MORE from actually opening a book or holding the manipulatives, etc. And then I will have someone there that I can pepper with my million questions right on the spot.

I am also looking forward to the speakers that address the newbie concerns. I think it will be a great way for me to get some overviews of ideas and techniques and things to consider that probably aren't even on my radar at this point. In years to come, maybe the speakers won't appeal to me, but this year I'm really into it.

And, since I haven't had one single night away from the kids (other than the hospital stay for having more kids!) in over 4 years, I must say I am relishing my weekend and hotel by myself!! I may even spring for an extra night at the hotel just because I can! My 21yo son will be coming up to watch the littles, and my hubby will be working 6 or 7 days each week by then (civil construction in June = lots of overtime), so it will just be me!

I also think that the networking / fellowship might be nice. With our work-travel lifestyle, we don't make many friends (other than hubby's coworkers, who don't have wives or family traveling with them), and this jobsite we haven't even ventured out to a local church because of the new baby and my health issues. So life is pretty darn isolated for me. I'm not a huge extrovert these days, but a little human contact would be nice! Especially with other hs moms.

Another benefit for me this year is that my registration is free since my oldest at home is still a preschooler and I've never been to this conference. SO that saves me a little (registration was only $50 anyways, which seems pretty reasonable to me for a 2-day conference). Helps cover the extra night I might want at the hotel, ha ha!

Tracey in Oregon

Well I'm a newbie and headed to my first one in June (GHC Northeast). I don't think it is essential or critical to my homeschooling, especially at this phase (oldest turning 4yo), but I do think it will be helpful!! We're secular and nonreligious, so I'm expecting lots of stuff to not apply to me, but that's ok. I really want to get my hands on some curricula - I really feel it will be easier to narrow down what I like if I can see and feel it. The online thing isn't helping me, and every curriculum out there seems to have some who love it and some who hate it. I'm picky. I need to see and touch it.

I'm looking forward to the speakers too, at least some of them. It took me less than 20 mins to narrow down the list of workshops I want to by like 75% (I don't want anything religious, or about getting ready for college, or even logic stage at this point). I'm excited about SWB and several others. I will probably only go to a few workshops.

Also, probably the #1 reason is for some grownup time. I do think of it as professional development, and sometimes it's nice to have that time without the kids. I have a 3yo and two 17mos. The break, the chance to think about things without having anyone screaming at me or needing to change a diaper will help me clarify my thinking a lot!

I would love to attend a CM conference that's coming up in June.. in Boiling Springs, NC. As far as the local giant FPEA conference here in Florida.. Eh.. Lukewarm. Maybe when the kids are older. I would like to experience it at least once, though.

Are conventions vital to my hsing? Apparently not :D

Well, I did travel to another state to go to one, two years in a row, and I'm glad I did, but I don't think it's "vital" to my homeschooling, so I didn't vote that way. :)

If it were convention vs. buying curriculum needed for the year, I wouldn't go to the convention.

The convention was a nice break from taking care of the family, since I went without the family. I got recharged listening to the speakers I hadn't heard yet. I got to see curriculum in person that I wasn't completely sure about online. So yes, it was a good thing for me. But I will still easily be able to buy curriculum for the year afterward.

If money were super tight, I would not have gone.

:iagree:, even though I did vote that I think it's important enough to go. I am only in the US every 3 to 4 years, so to me it's important to get reconnected and see what's out there, to be recharged with the good speakers. We usually go as a family and enjoy the whole convention atmosphere. My husband and I take turns taking care of the kids, but I get to go to more of the speakers because I'm the one that primarily homeschools. But he enjoys the ones addressed to fathers or philosophy of family and education. We always enjoy it so much!

The first one I went to (before we homeschooled) someone gave me the good advice to leave my pocketbook at home. That way we wouldn't jump on the bandwagon of anything that caught our attention without being able to think it through first. It was great advice because there were several things that did catch my attention that I then researched and realized weren't right for us. It would have been very costly and I would have made some big mistakes. So I am very thankful for that advice.

Edited by julikins
Editing content

Now see you're making our other state convention that is more religious sound just TOO BORING! :lol: