Menu

*falls out of chair* Jane Fonda to play Nancy Reagan!??!

Ok, as an actress she' s fine. She' s in her 70s. She's extremely thin like nancy Reagan.

I think it would be hard to find a really conservative actor who could be a physical match.

I dunno how else to explain it.

Oh, I don't think they should have to pick a Conservative but she is particularly controversial.

But yeah, they could be trying to drum up publicity by ticking people off.

Jane Fonda playing the part of Nancy Reagan would be playing the total and complete polar opposite of everything that woman has professed to be in her life. She would have to be a very good actress to pull that off and I have never been extremely impressed with her acting (or anything else for that matter.)

Jane Fonda playing the part of Nancy Reagan would be playing the total and complete polar opposite of everything that woman has professed to be in her life. She would have to be a very good actress to pull that off and I have never been extremely impressed with her acting (or anything else for that matter.)

I admit I like that Barefoot in the Park movie but a young Robert Redford is in it and he is so pretty I get too distracted to tell what anyone else is doing. The rest of the cast could be Keebler elves and I wouldn't have noticed.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/liberal-jane-fonda-play-conservative-nancy-reagan-185931921.html

I am not a Conservative and I admit even I am balking.

She looks good for the part but what would Nancy think?

How? What? Really?

Casting agents are clearly not required to have a basic knowledge of fairly recent history. Still, it sounds like a big joke to me.

She looks good for the part but what would Nancy think?

Nancy is certainly familiar with *acting* being acting, and I'll never forget the look on her face as she sat on Mr. T's lap (way back when he was "big") for a photo op and smiled the most forced smile on earth.

I admit I like that Barefoot in the Park movie but a young Robert Redford is in it and he is so pretty I get too distracted to tell what anyone else is doing. The rest of the cast could be Keebler elves and I wouldn't have noticed.

That's the problem with Robert Redford - you just don't notice anyone else. Wait, did I say problem? I take that back because there is no problem with Robert Redford least of all Robert Redford circa 1970ish. :001_smile:

ETA: Wow. Just googled Robert Redford and it turns out he's the same age as my grandparents and must have had a lot of work done. That's not particularly sexy. I guess I didn't realize that he's now darn near 80.

I don't see the problem, unless you boycott all of her movies on principle. She is an actress playing a part. Now, if she were directing the movie or wrote the screenplay, then that would be different. However, actors play parts all the time that have very little to do with who they are. I think people sometimes have trouble with this concept.

:iagree: I like this movie so much that dh brought it to the hospital when I was in a l-o-n-g labor with ds.

I don't see the problem, unless you boycott all of her movies on principle. She is an actress playing a part. Now, if she were directing the movie or wrote the screenplay, then that would be different. However, actors play parts all the time that have very little to do with who they are. I think people sometimes have trouble with this concept.

Lots of people do just that, see above the person calling her a "traitor" and the other referring to "Hanoi Jane." It isn't like someone whining about the war or someone complaining about the President. What she did was at our soldiers. People don't forgive that.

And FWIW I have never seen a Woody Allen movie, my mom wouldn't allow it after he married his daughter.

I just would think she would be the person people would LEAST like to see cast as her.

Edited by Sis

Actually Michael Reagan - Nancy's step son - said he thought Nancy would be flattered and have no problem with it.

I agree it's an odd choice but I would have not thought Meryl Streep could have been Margaret Thatcher either.

They both have/had big heads!! It seems like a good fit to me. :lol:

I admit, after my initial :svengo:, that's the first though I had, too.

I'm not overly fond or overly bothered by either one of them (actually, I just find them rather uninteresting in the own ways), but this somehow seems an affront to the natural order of the universe.

I like watching that Twilight Zone episode where he plays Death. He is so pretty, who wouldn't go with him?

I've got a major work deadline that DH and I are both feverishly working on. He's in his office, I'm in mine, and poor Little Librarian has been abandoned to her own devices for the evening. So explain to me why I've got one sceen with my work project going and the other with Google open searching for "Robert Redford kilt". DH is going to have kittens if he comes up here and see's that I'm internetting while he's hard at work. :lol:

Edited by aggieamy

ETA: Wow. Just googled Robert Redford and it turns out he's the same age as my grandparents and must have had a lot of work done. That's not particularly sexy. I guess I didn't realize that he's now darn near 80.

He seems ancient to me too, but he was born quite a bit after my grandpa! I guess the alternative is the Marlon Brando (natural) look?

I'm not a fan of Woody Allen's activities with Soon Yi, but, as her last name reflects, she was the adoptive daughter of Andre Previn, not Allen, and Mia Farrow and all the kids lived separately from Allen, to whom she was not married. So, I don't think one should call Soon Yi his daughter. His partner's (adopted) daughter, yes, but not his. It still disturbed me, but there was something kind of weird there to begin with. I find him kind of obnoxious but I can always tell it's him when I hear him on the radio!

I'm not a fan of Woody Allen's activities with Soon Yi, but, as her last name reflects, she was the adoptive daughter of Andre Previn, not Allen, and Mia Farrow and all the kids lived separately from Allen, to whom she was not married. So, I don't think one should call Soon Yi his daughter. His partner's (adopted) daughter, yes, but not his. It still disturbed me, but there was something kind of weird there to begin with. I find him kind of obnoxious but I can always tell it's him when I hear him on the radio!

I remember before the divorce (and Soon Yi news) that friends would say the same thing about Woody Allen -- something off about him?

It was a long-term relationship that Woody Allen had with Mia Farrow. I think 12 years? They had a bitter custody dispute over their biological son, Ronan Farrow, and adopted children, Dylan and Moshe Farrow.

Mia found nude photos of then 20 year old Soon Yi that Woody had taken. There were accusations that Woody had molested his adopted daughter, Dylan, and the judge presiding over the divorce even said Woody's behavior with Soon Yi was grossly "inappropriate".

Ronan was reported saying back then that it was weird to have his father marrying his SISTER. I agree. And what a slap in the face to Mia. Mia won custody and Woody lost visitation rights to Dylan, Moshe refused to visit his father, and his biological son, Ronan, could only see him under supervision. It was a scandal back then a la Maury Povich or Dr. Phil. Very creepy vibe of Woody Allen.

Edited by tex-mex

Actors act. It is their job. You do not need to be a liberal to act the role of a liberal character or be a conservative to act the role of a conservative character.

Acting is a job, a skill. Frankly much like the debate skills of someone who convincingly argues the side they disagree with impress me more than someone arguing their own convictions, the acting skills of someone who acts a character who is very different from him/her self impress me more than actors who pretty much cast in their own personalities. :001_smile:

And casting like people for all roles would be impossible, right?

By way of example, no one should need to be Che Guevara to play him, nor be General Patton to play him. Certainly Lifetime does not see the need to cast someone convicted of sex crimes against minors to play, say Mary Kay LeTourneau.

Edited by kijipt

Frankly I think both Allen and Farrow are incredibly weird. Everything about them screams "weird!" to me. I also can only handle small doses of their irritating, hesitant, rambling style of talking. (The NYTimes said, "With her peaches-and-cream complexion and slightly whiny voice, Ms. Farrow has always epitomized a precocious, overgrown princess whose garrulity inspires protectiveness tinged with irritation." )

That being said, I have occasionally seen movies of theirs (together and separate) that I liked. Occasionally. Especially if they have Diane Keaton instead of either of those two.

AAAUUUUGGH!!!

THE HORROR!!!! NO...

**POKING EYES OUT WITH A PENCIL** :lol:

I searched and my post in this thread was the #1 hit.

After finding a photo of him with Diane Keaton in a tie, my search pulled up photo of Al Roker in a kilt, though! Al Roker seems about as far from Woody Allen as it gets. In every way.

Frankly I think both Allen and Farrow are incredibly weird. Everything about them screams "weird!" to me. I also can only handle small doses of their irritating, hesitant, rambling style of talking. (The NYTimes said, "With her peaches-and-cream complexion and slightly whiny voice, Ms. Farrow has always epitomized a precocious, overgrown princess whose garrulity inspires protectiveness tinged with irritation." )

That being said, I have occasionally seen movies of theirs (together and separate) that I liked. Occasionally. Especially if they have Diane Keaton instead of either of those two.

Oooh. I love Diane Keaton!

Love her wardrobe that she wears in movies. She would always wear a turtleneck, tho'. I saw her recently in a movie that showed her neck (without a turtleneck) and dang... no wrinkles or flab in the neck area. :001_huh: It made me curious... but plastic surgery can't make necks look less saggy, right??

Edited by tex-mex

I searched and my post in this thread was the #1 hit.

After finding a photo of him with Diane Keaton in a tie, my search pulled up photo of Al Roker in a kilt, though! Al Roker seems about as far from Woody Allen as it gets. In every way.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oddly enough, I could handle seeing Roker in a kilt. :eek: But Woody?? Um... I'll pass.

Actors act. It is their job. You do not need to be a liberal to act the role of a liberal character or be a conservative to act the role of a conservative character.

Acting is a job, a skill. Frankly much like the debate skills of someone who convincingly argues the side they disagree with impress me more than someone arguing their own convictions, the acting skills of someone who acts a character who is very different from him/her self impress me more than actors who pretty much cast in their own personalities. :001_smile:

And casting like people for all roles would be impossible, right?

By way of example, no one should need to be Che Guevara to play him, nor be General Patton to play him. Certainly Lifetime does not see the need to cast someone convicted of sex crimes against minors to play, say Mary Kay LeTourneau.

But, conservatives frothing-at-the-mouth cannot stand Jane Fonda. They would rather the actual Che Guevara play Nancy Reagan.

And, Sis, hubba hubba to the photo.

But, conservatives frothing-at-the-mouth cannot stand Jane Fonda. They would rather the actual Che Guevara play Nancy Reagan.

Right, that is my point. Not that I totally disagree with them or anything, this is just something that is understood. :lol:

It's kind of like how Liberals don't care for Ted Nugent. East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet.

Edited by Sis

Maybe they would be mollified if Fonda was cast as the Wicked Witch in a Wizard of Oz remake? With all the plastic surgery she has has, she could really look like anyone.

Right, that is my point. Not that I totally disagree with them or anything, this is just something that is understood. :lol: Kind of like how Liberals don't care for Ted Nugent.

It would be like Ted Nugent playing Jackie Kennedy. :P

Maybe they would be mollified if Fonda was cast as the Wicked Witch in a Wizard of Oz remake? With all the plastic surgery she has has, she could really look like anyone.

Who has photoshop to make her green?

:lol::lol::lol:

Oddly enough, I could handle seeing Roker in a kilt. :eek: But Woody?? Um... I'll pass.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ec7f9e22970b-320wi

How about that weird white hooded outfit? He always reminded me of a sperm in that one.

...I also got a photo of the queen with a large group of men in uniform (kilt). One displayed all. Is that real?