Menu

birthday gift for soon to be 5 yog with everything

I would talk to the parent before buying art supplies. I know that we have a mountain of supplies from when dd13 was little for dd5 to use. Ds 17 never did arts/crafts.

I have replaced the stock of googly eyes, shiny pom-poms, stickers etc.....we just don't need the usual construction paper, envelopes, markers, pencils type of supplies.

If you talk to the parents, you may consider something like a new character sheet set for the bed (make sure the parents are okay with it first), a pair of pajamas or book on cd. I don't buy character themed items for my kids, so they only get them from birthdays etc.

I would ask the mom for suggestions.

Also, just because the older kids already have every toy under the sun, doesn't mean they let their little sister play with them. And I'm sure the little girl would like some special toys that are hers alone, so the mom may have some good ideas for you.

I would ask the mom for suggestions.

Also, just because the older kids already have every toy under the sun, doesn't mean they let their little sister play with them. And I'm sure the little girl would like some special toys that are hers alone, so the mom may have some good ideas for you.

:iagree: My DD has 2 older sisters who have too many Barbies but for Christmas all she wanted was her own Barbie- one that was new for her and that nobody could take away. She also likes ridiculously girly shoes, dresses, and new dress up clothes. Dress up clothes don't tend to age well.

A giant box (we've found them on craigslist in perfect condition) and a copy of The Boxcar Children (or audio book).

Paper Source has neat gifts for kids: http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/gifts/toys.html

A tent: http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Super-Duper/dp/B00083HOXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1332401019&sr=1-1

Could you make her an easy to sew quilt?

Thanks everybody. She is my daughter, and I am having such a hard time. She honestly can't think of anything she wants except a movie. Her Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles have all been asking and I am trying to think of something that won't just be more stuff. Thanks for all of the ideas. I am all about trying to steer gifts into the consummable direction. I even suggested getting her a savings bond- but her g-ma said that wasn't any fun.:tongue_smilie: I tried suggesting like an Evie only day with g-ma but no dice. (too much commitment, easier to buy a gift)

I think we are going to get her a tee ball tee and some balls. We actually don't have one of those! And it is something that all 6 of my kids can do together- outside!

PS What do you do with all of the jewelry they make? We have tons of homemade necklaces and bracelets laying around here, and I hate to admit it, but I dont' actually wear any jewelry except my wedding band.

A few ideas...

A craft box - put odds and ends in there and let her get creative. Pipe cleaners, beads, sticky-backed foam letters and shapes, construction paper, scissors, glue, markers, stickers, etc.

GC to the movies, bowling alley, zoo, museum, etc.

A mani at the salon and lunch out with mom.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I found out what she was interested in (My Little Pony) and I go her some wall decals. They are AWESOME! :thumbup: I have some for my boys, and they love them. They have over 100 theams to chose from. They are re-stickable and don't take the paint off. If they get dirty you can wash them and put them right back on. I've had some for over a year and they still look great. The 5yo girl I got them for LOVES them, and her mom loves them too. It's also a great way to personalize "her" (your her) part of the room if she has to share.

The same kinds of things you buy other 5yo girls. :) And you tell friends and family members the same thing. They're supposed to think of things on their own, not be provided with a wish list. Really. If she gets duplicates, how kewl is that? Some things you might be able to return for a refund; some things she might be willing to give to homeless children or some other charity.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I found out what she was interested in (My Little Pony) and I go her some wall decals. They are AWESOME! :thumbup: I have some for my boys, and they love them. They have over 100 theams to chose from. They are re-stickable and don't take the paint off. If they get dirty you can wash them and put them right back on. I've had some for over a year and they still look great. The 5yo girl I got them for LOVES them, and her mom loves them too. It's also a great way to personalize "her" (your her) part of the room if she has to share.

Not the OP, but THANK YOU!!! I looked through all of these and found some that both my ds and dd would love. We live in a rental now and we can't paint the walls, which makes the kids sad. This is EXACTLY what they need. :D

We make wish cards last year.

Choice of Netflix movies, sleep in mom and dad's bed, ice cream date with Dad, doughnuts with mom, brother does a chore, get out of dishes, small $5 toy, video games at the arcade with Dad.

He liked it so much that is what he is asking for this year.

Not the OP, but THANK YOU!!! I looked through all of these and found some that both my ds and dd would love. We live in a rental now and we can't paint the walls, which makes the kids sad. This is EXACTLY what they need. :D

You're welcome. :D This thread has pictures of some of the ones we got. We also got the Thomas and Friends set and a Mickey Mouse set. Ds3 LOVES Mickey Mouse. I lined up the character stickers along his new bed as a transitioning tool. He has a stuffed Mickey, Pluto, and Goofy, and he has them sit right under their character sticker. :001_wub: I'd post a picture, but our computer crashed and dh hasn't put the pictures back on the computer from the back up yet.

Shopping trip! I was in the same boat w/ my 5yr old last year. The last thing I wanted was more toys. She loves clothes and loves shopping, so I took her shopping, just her and me (doesn't happen often when you've got lots of siblings to share Mom w/). We got lunch out, spent the day shopping. She loved it!!! Her birthday's coming up again and she's been saying she wants to do that again, and get her ears pierced while we're out, too. I think I'm going to oblige her. :D

Justice for girls has a lot of nice girl things. For dd6th brithday one of her friend got her a purse from there and filled it will all kids of trinkets (lip gloss, tatoo's, stuffed puppy, compact mirror, sunglasses. I think kids like to have their own whatever is cool. i.e. the newest mermaid barbie, the new muppet movie, a watch, headbands, jewelery sets, art supplies.