Menu

Anybody want to talk me out of getting a puppy?

Ok....I need to talk this out with someone, and because this board is anonymous on both ends, i figure I will get honest responses :) .

I really want a dog. A standard poodle to be exact. We have saved the money and located a very ethical well thought of breeder. I have been researching the breed and breeders for a year.

Now for the crazy part...I have little kids. Really, they are just puppies themselves. they are 1 1/2, almost 4 and 5 1/2 . I just started doing K work with the oldest. the boys ( the two older ones) really want a dog and ask for one every day! I know, though, that it will make our crazy household just a little bit crazier! At least for a year or so, right?

If that wasn't enough, there is this looming possibility that we will have to move to another US city, or to a European one within a year, due to hub's work situation. So, I would be packing the house up, dealing with three little ones AND a puppy! But, then again, we might not move, and I would be sitting here in this house a year later with no dog! My husband says we will just deal with relocating with a dog if we have to.

So, there it is, all spelled out in black and white. If I were you, I'd tell me to wait, but I guess I just don't want to. Things are so uncertain. Hubs works long hours, and I guess I am looking for the comfort and joy a puppy would bring. I miss having a dog.

Am I crazy? Does anyone want to hit me over the head with a frying pan to make me come to my senses? We are supposed to go look at these pups soon, and so I am trying to make sure I do the right thing, even if it's not my desired thing! Thanks if you got through reading all of this, and thanks even more if you were willing to respond.

Edited by Singingmom

Lets see....puppies need to be constantly supervised while housebreaking, they will use your kids, furniture, or anything laying around as a chew toy, they will wake you up in the middle of the night to go outside, if you move out of the country it is a royal pain to get papers in order for them to go with you... -- did that help any?

All that being said, I'm a sucker for animals in general and have added many over the years at the most inconvenient times. :tongue_smilie:

You are crazy! Moving to another city is not so bad, but with the chance of an overseas move I would wait until you knew 100% if that is happening before you consider bringing a dog home. Transporting a dog overseas (or any pet) has huge issues which could result in you rehoming that dog within the year and with that being a risk it is not fair to any puppy to be brought into your home until you know decisively if that is happening.

If you miss having a dog at home, but are not sure about how it will work out, or about job issues etc why not contact a local rescue and see if you qualify to foster a puppy. Gives you the love of a dog at home, and a trial run with the kids without the long term commitment of a puppy before knowing if you are moving or not.

The absolutely to die for little puppy as my avatar:

$2000 cost of dog

$800 special flight from breeder to our house across the country

$2000 trainer

$1500 vet bills and immunizations for 3 years

$75 flea and heart worm prevention per month

$30 per month for food

$30 per month for toys, treats, and cute doggy collars

$200 for initial supplies including bed, crate, puppy pads, etc.

Luckily, my breed does not require grooming.

Then there was the carrying her outside every 2 hours for 6 months and every 4 hours even now. It takes her forever to find the perfect pee spot. If it is raining, lightning, or cold, it takes her much longer to find a spot.

HTH

I'm sorry, but YOU ARE CRAZY.

First of all, I am NOT an animal person, so take this for what it's worth...

Puppies/dogs are a lot of work. It will likely pee and poo in your house for some time until you get it housebroken. It will possibly chew and destroy things. I know nothing about the breed you're looking at, but I do believe puppies in general are full of energy.

Plus, dogs are dirty and gross. :tongue_smilie: Ok don't flame me, but it's what I really think. And since frankly small children usually MORE than fulfill the family's 'dirty and gross' requirements, there's no way I'd add a dog to that.

There. Hope that helped. :D

As someone currently packing a house up with little children and animals running everywhere, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone else. We are moving within the US. It would add another huge layer of trouble if we were headed to another country.

I do have a standard poodle with a corded coat on my list of dogs I'd like to own in my life though.

We have a 3.5 year old Golden Retriever. I wanted to kill him for the 1st 2.5 years of his life. He has turned into a pretty good dog in the last year but the first 2.5 years were hell!

My kids were 5 and 3 when we got him, we all survived, but just barely.;)

Dogless here, but raised with one. Ds is allergic to dogs, so that is one reason. Others that keep us dogless are having to come home throughout the day to let it out because they can't stay in the house all day w/o doing their business, having to board it if we would happen to get lucky enough to ever go on a vacation (and it costs more $$), vet bills, dog food, the chewing.....

Does that help? :)

My puppy at around 12 weeks ate a sock. $2000 later she was sock free.

I would highly advise you not to get a puppy with such small children. Puppies go through teething stage where they want to bite you non-stop. Not to mention all the little toys that the puppy will for certain eat.

My puppy went out at midnight, 3am, 6am, 8am, 9am, on and on and on. I was so seriously sleep deprived for months.

She just turned 1 last week and I celebrated. We love her to death but she is my last puppy ever.

Take this for what it's worth...

I am totally a dog person... I've never been without a dog. We had two dogs at home when we brought our son home, and we all managed fine.

Over the years my allergies have gotten worse.... so once both of our two older dogs were gone... we got a standard poodle. :D

He's very sweet, trained easily, and has turned into a major couch potato! He's loving and is good with children and our neighbors.

Now, you do have much smaller children, and it will be harder. So don't call me when your life turns upside down, but I'd never be one to talk you out of it!! ;)

Gingersmom, the sock thing stopped me dead. That is pretty awful! And, then you had to go and mention toys?! I have been telling my boys they have to practice keeping them all picked up so our future puppy won't get into them, but what are the chances that they will do that perfectly?

Couple of questions:

What do you think would be a good age to introduce a puppy into the home ( 3,4, older?) ?

Would an older dog maybe be a good alternative to getting a puppy at this stage in our lives?

The kids' ages don't phase me. We got a puppy when our kids were 1.5 years and 3 years. It just added some extra work.

If it were more definite, I would probably say wait until you move, but since you don't even know *if* you'll be moving, go for it :001_smile:. I have trouble with delayed gratification once I've done with all my research and I'm ready to add a new pet.

Edited by sparrow

The kids' ages don't phase me. We got a puppy when our kids were 1.5 years and 3 years. It just added some extra work.

If it were more definite, I would probably say wait until you move, but since you don't even know *if* you'll be moving, go for it :001_smile:. I have trouble with delayed gratification once I've done with all my research and I'm ready to add a new pet.

:iagree: It's lots of work. It's like having another kid for a while. But it's worth it. :001_smile: We love our little guy, although we frequently say how we can't wait for him to be out of his puppy phase!

Carpe Diem! :D

:iagree: with caveats...

I am a psycho about pets being members of the family once adopted. It makes me crazy for people to adopt pets and then get rid of them. So, that said, do you know all the possible countries to which your DH could be transferred? If you can come up with a list of the possibilities, look at all the customs regs for those countries and know that it will be possible to take puppy, then I say go ahead. If one of the countries would not allow a pet or has crazy quarantines, I say wait.

I agree that the kids' ages don't phase me at all, provided you are currently sleeping through the night. :lol: I got Milo (my avatar) when my DC were 5, 3, and 2 years old and all sleeping through the night. That's important because you will be up with a puppy several times a night going potty. Poodles are smart, right? I've never had one but that's what I hear. Milo is a smarty-pants and potty-trained very quickly. However, it was months before I didn't have to get up at least once in the night when he did go out. During the first week-month, while you are actively potty training, have nothing else on your schedule. No school, no birthday parties, no nothing at all except you and doggy-love being connected at the hip. Your job will be to watch the dog literally the whole time he/she is up, at the ready to train/potty.

If you can commit to intensive training in the beginning, keeping the dog through the move to all potential areas you might end up, do it. I love that my kids are growing up with Milo. It's a good thing for little kids to have a dog. :)

We have a 30 pound 11-week old White German Shepherd puppy.

I'm not as sleep deprived as I thought I would be. We got this little guy at 8 weeks--- our last one was 10 weeks... those 2 weeks made a HUGE difference!!! It was easier to train the older pup. At 11 weeks he can sit, shake, give high-fives... he is good about letting us know when he wants out. He sits and waits when I bring out his food bowl. He is learning to stay out of the kitchen-- this is IMPORTANT since he will be over 125 pounds and counter height!

The older pup had less 'nipping' issues... the younger pup took 2 weeks to figure out that nipping was not acceptable... the first days were rough. It did help that we have another dog-- she really is the one who helped the most with his 'manners'.

Standard Poodles are very intelligent-- should be easy to train-- but they are large puppies-- and large puppies make large messes.

We have LOTS of wood furniture-- I provided puppy with LOTS of approved chewing options-- he now leaves the furniture and our shoes alone! I prefer to use real bones-- with our guy I'm using Beef knee joints with an occasional neck bone (but they hurt to step on!). Our guy does NOT chew on his chew toys...

We do not kennel-- our guy is growing too fast-- and it is better for GSD's to sleep stretched out-- and for him that is already over 3 feet! We keep our puppy confined in our computer room when we cannot be with him-- using a baby gate to block the doorway... the baby gate will only last us through this weekend-- then we will be forced to use a large piece of plywood... He does not mess in the computer room.

Since you have little ones, I suggest a doggie playpen (wire) instead of a crate (again because you are getting a large-breed dog)... this way the pup can see you and feel 'near' to you when you are busy with the littles.

Our family room has concrete floors-- and a nice carpet under the pool table in the center of the room-- apparently this carpet is a potty attractor (probably the difference in texture)... I purchased a case of Chux pads and have covered the pool table carpet with these-- inexpensive and has been a life-saver!!! I chose NOT to use the pads from the pet store as those are scented to ATTRACT the dog to pee/poop I want to avoid that habit!

We try to keep an eye on him--but our house/rooms are large and sometimes he gives us the occasional slip-- so those pads have been great.

With an intelligent large breed-- make sure you have plenty of time scheduled for active play each day... Our guy needs a lot of stimulation-- not just a run around the yard (or just put outside in the fenced backyard to fend for himself). Since he is growing so fast we are not taking him for walks-- probably not until this summer-- repetitive walking (neighbor hood or trail) can be BAD for growing joints. Free play (our guy loves tumbling in the tall country grasses) is best--but someone needs to play WITH him!

We make it a point to keep him moving from 3pm until 6pm so we can have a peaceful dinner and perhaps a bit of family time, then one last 30-60 minutes of 'play with the puppy' and he is ready to go to bed. Last person up lets him out before they go to bed-- he sleeps until around 6am-- not too bad since I'm used to getting up at 6:30.

I've had a puppy with a 1.5 yr old before-- I was EXHAUSTED-- but the puppy and youngest dd were always close. It really is like adding another baby... at least for 2-3 months until manners and potty training are complete.

Go ahead, and prepare to be the mother of four children, not three.

:iagree:

We got our puppy in August, at a really illogical time. But we love and adore him and wouldn't trade him for anything. Sure, he's work, but he's worth all of it.

Go for it. You know what you're getting into and you won't regret it :D.

Chris, thanks for taking the time to tell me about what a good fit your standard is! I've wanted one for years....every one I've been around has been amazing!

How great that you got a couch potato! I am hoping for one who can at least morph into one indoors!

Take this for what it's worth...

I am totally a dog person... I've never been without a dog. We had two dogs at home when we brought our son home, and we all managed fine.

Over the years my allergies have gotten worse.... so once both of our two older dogs were gone... we got a standard poodle. :D

He's very sweet, trained easily, and has turned into a major couch potato! He's loving and is good with children and our neighbors.

Now, you do have much smaller children, and it will be harder. So don't call me when your life turns upside down, but I'd never be one to talk you out of it!! ;)

We have always had a ton of animals.

I just wanted to mention that a standard poodle is what I want when my little dogs have passed (little being 2 chihuahuas that are pretty old). I'm ready for a single family dog that REQUIRES grooming (this way it will be bathed, clipped and toenail trimmed regularly). I want one that requires grooming because those are generally non-shedders. My friend has 3 standards and I love them - SO smart!

Of course, my other dream dog is a golden retriever (polar opposite on the hair issue).

I could go either way.

I think you are totally crazy to get a little pup.

However, have you considered getting one just a bit older? Maybe a 3-month old that's really ready for house training? And a little bigger (more durable around small children)? Many breeders have left-overs - pups that just aren't going to work out for show, but owuld make a great family dog.

Our current pups we adopted at 8 weeks. It was lots of work, but my kids are all older and helped out. But when my olders were little (5-3-1), we adopted a 5mo old lab mix. House training? 1 day. Seriously. She was a great dog who let the kids climb all over her.

And it's my understanding that both France and England ( the two Countries that are the possibilities) require a rabies shot ( so, dog would have to be at least 6 months old) , but that there is no longer any quarantine. So, other than the unpleasantness if being in a crate for a long flight, there would be no problem with taking a dog into most European countries. In fact, I've read that France is the dog- friendliest Nation in the Western World. They allow dogs everywhere...on trains, restaurants,shops, grocery stores, etc. So, that would actually be good. The UK is a little bit more like the US when it comes to places where pets are restricted, but they are allowed on public transit, from what I understand.

That clinches it for me. The process of moving a pet overseas is NOT easy and not fast. I wouldn't want to risk putting my family and pet through that.

The pup we are looking at getting will be between 10 and 12 weeks when we would bring her home, and she is a black standard ( expected to be about 23" high at the shoulder, and about 40-45 lbs at maturity) . I would imagine potty training would be already in progress, and from what I know of poodles, should go fairly easily, I think.

I think you are totally crazy to get a little pup.

However, have you considered getting one just a bit older? Maybe a 3-month old that's really ready for house training? And a little bigger (more durable around small children)? Many breeders have left-overs - pups that just aren't going to work out for show, but owuld make a great family dog.

Our current pups we adopted at 8 weeks. It was lots of work, but my kids are all older and helped out. But when my olders were little (5-3-1), we adopted a 5mo old lab mix. House training? 1 day. Seriously. She was a great dog who let the kids climb all over her.

Guest SammyK

I always say about kids ... If you can't take 'em, don't make 'em!

Pets? If you can't fry 'em, don't buy 'em!

I'll tell you what I mean ... when you buy a pet, besides for the years of care you have to give it, the headache and heartache and everything .. with no real gain in return; other than a cute furry companion, you're also basically setting yourself up for disaster. I hate to be so blunt, but you're knowingly becoming emotionally attached to a friend which YOU KNOW will die way before you will. It's like becoming really really close friends with all the people on death row. Why would you set yourself up for emotional disaster?

And about the bills ... Oh, the bills. I had a lab retriever for twelve years. I racked up CLOSE TO SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of vet bills over that time. (If not for my little vet discount program - I think it was called Pet Assure - I would have spent closer to $10,000...)

Either way, not recommended. But if you do, make sure to enroll in some sort of vet discount program.

I'd say the perfect time for you will be in a year. Your youngest will be 2.5 - much easier to deal with a puppy then.... and you'll know about moving.

If you get a puppy now- it is possible you'll have to quarantine the dog if you move overseas.... or find another home for it. That would cinch it for me right there.

We had a puppy when my sons were 2 and 14 months. I managed, but wow - we should have waited!

Get the pup! When my sons were the ages of your kiddoes, I was raising litters, training, and showing dogs. (And I had my own photography business, too...) You are young and energetic...you can do it. Just cut back on something non-essential--like house keeping. :D Training and exercising can be family affairs...everyone out in the yard to play while you sit on the porch supervising. I used to put my youngest in a backpack carrier and walk the dogs for miles that way. Loved it! Fresh air and exercise for me, courtesy of being the dog owner.

We once got a Border collie pup...a few months later we found out we were moving to Belgium. Unfortunately we were to be living in company housing so we couldn't take her. Friends from church who already had a Border collie offered to keep her for us. When we ended up staying in Belgium longer than anticipated, she became their dog forever.

You are right. European countries are quite dog friendly. And their dogs are well behaved. You'll love being a dog owner in France!

haven't read all posts but yes, totally crazy. I have one child and one dog. Sometimes taking care of the dog is just too much. I can't imagine three small ones and taking care of a dog. They have to be bathed, fed, trips to the fed, fleas and worms have to be dealt with, make sure they stay away from cars. If they are in the house, cleaning up messes they make, worrying if they will be hurt by the kids, or if they hurt the kids....

plus they stink...

I'd wait till they are older. Get the child a fish, my mom has fish and my son loves them.

Gingersmom, the sock thing stopped me dead. That is pretty awful! And, then you had to go and mention toys?! I have been telling my boys they have to practice keeping them all picked up so our future puppy won't get into them, but what are the chances that they will do that perfectly?

Couple of questions:

What do you think would be a good age to introduce a puppy into the home ( 3,4, older?) ?

Would an older dog maybe be a good alternative to getting a puppy at this stage in our lives?

our dog was one year old when we got her and our son was two. She is a small terrier, but is very loving and has put up with tons from him.

it was a good age for both of them.

I would never get a dog unless I could persuade someone else to deal with the poo issue.

Having said that if there is any chance you would be relocating to the UK I would not consider getting a pet for a moment. We have extremely strict laws about importing pets and you need to jump through a whole load of hoops to avoid quarantine. So make sure you know where you are going and what the requirements of importing an animal will be before you even consider it, would be my advice.

And it's my understanding that both France and England ( the two Countries that are the possibilities) require a rabies shot ( so, dog would have to be at least 6 months old) , but that there is no longer any quarantine. So, other than the unpleasantness if being in a crate for a long flight, there would be no problem with taking a dog into most European countries. In fact, I've read that France is the dog- friendliest Nation in the Western World. They allow dogs everywhere...on trains, restaurants,shops, grocery stores, etc. So, that would actually be good. The UK is a little bit more like the US when it comes to places where pets are restricted, but they are allowed on public transit, from what I understand.

I agree! We have a new puppy, and she will be traveling with us every year when we go to Europe. We had to get her a global microchip, which will show her rabies shot (take the certificate also), but that's it. No quarantine (at least to France/England, which is where we usually go), no big hassles. DO check with your airline....for some reason, England in particular is picky about what airline flies your dog into their country.

Also, if we have to move back to Asia (we lived there before), I've already look into bringing our dog and it's no big deal. Singapore has a quarantine, but it's not very long (10 or 30 days, I forget which) and they have a great place where you can visit your dog every day. Our puppy has been such a joy to our house, I can't imagine not having her!

I think you should go for it. We got our dog when our youngest was one and a half. She is truly part of the family. It wasn't that bad for us when she was a puppy, because I was already playing outside with the kids, so she was just hanging out with us there. So the potty training issue was pretty easy. It helped that she was a fast learner.

The only thing I didn't anticipate was the financial aspect....we have paid for her to be flown overseas and back to the tune of $2000. She also has to be on a certain dogfood due to IBS, which costs about $30 a month. This doesn't include all of the vet stuff once a year.

I love the joy she has brought to our lives and can't imagine our days without her. As I am typing this, our dog and my two youngest are playing hide and seek. They are making her sit on her bed while they hide. Then they call her and she runs around the house to find them. What joy it is to hear them all giggling and laughing. What memories!

I'd wait until your youngest is older. We got a pup when DD was 1. It was awful. It took FOREVER to train DD not to pull the dog's fur. The dog freaked out whenever we left her home alone. She ate our furniture. I had to wear DD on my back when we took the dog for walks. The dog needed HOURS of walking, every day, and no amount of training (we spent hundreds of dollars and many, many hours on training) would convince her to walk on a leash well enough to use a stroller. With your kids you'd have to keep track of the older kids and wear the baby to walk the dog. That could be tough, especially in rain, snow, heat, or whatever other bad weather you may have.

Also, the dog pooped all over the yard. I couldn't just bring DD out to play, I'd have to scoop the poop first. If you are used to letting your kids just go out and play, you'll have to get used to dealing with the poop every time. Especially since your little one is still young enough to go find and eat it.

How much do you have saved? Enough for just the adoption, or also enough for emergency vet bills, furniture replacement, carpet cleaning, etc?

Overall, in the one year we had our dog she cost us nearly $7000. A good chunk of that was a 5' tall fence we put in to try to contain her. She jumped it within an hour (she was a 40lb dog, not THAT big). The rest of the cost was boarding/puppy sitters, basic supplies (she went through about a dozen collars, she broke them), food, vet care (she was healthy, thankfully, but did need to be spayed and have regular dog stuff like heartworm meds and vaccinations), and replacing a few rugs that she had crazy diahhrea on. She tended to poop in the house when we were gone (even for an hour) because she got freaked out. We tried kenneling her, but she broke the kennel open.

I still love dogs, and I'd still love to get one someday, but I refuse to do it until the youngest child is at LEAST 2, preferably 4. Old enough to be taught "gentle", old enough to walk without getting knocked over quite so easily, and preferably old enough to not get knocked down the stairs when the dog comes charging down.... Also old enough to go on walks together where all the children actually walk. I'd be ok with 1 2yo, probably. My current youngest are twins, and I would wait until they were at least 4, I don't think I could manage two 2yos and a pup on a walk.

Edited by AdventureMoms

Yes, you're crazy. :D

We got our first ever dog in September, an Akita puppy (dh's idea). In the weeks & months that followed there were a lot of "we're thinking of getting a puppy threads" and I thought "Fools! You have no idea what you're doing!" Yes, I really thought that. I didn't reply though, because by the time I'd finished reading the first post I had to:

a) walk the puppy

b) change baby's diaper

c) break up a puppy romp between the above two

d) clean up after a puppy accident

e) make a meal

f) walk the puppy

g) nurse the baby

h) break up a puppy romp

i) walk the puppy

...repeat, repeat, repeat!

Not much school went on. And with a 5yo as you're oldest, that is okay. :) Even with my kids ages, that is okay...as the older ones can be quite independent. But it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

I was on constant alert...it was like having a 2yo and a newborn, except the newborn could run faster than me and had very sharp teeth! I couldn't leave the puppy alone with the littler ones for even a minute, because she just wanted to play "let's all be puppies together" which involved a great deal of mouthing (sharp teeth) and rolling around and chasing. We hired an in-home trainer who helped us get the puppy biting under control, but still the walking and constant vigilance have jaded me, despite having older ones who have been a tremendous help with taking her out/cleaning up/watching the little ones while I go out/etc.

Sorry to go on so negatively. Our puppy is 8 months old now and turning into a wonderful dog, but the last 6 months have been hard. Much harder than I anticipated.

I don't think anyone could have dissuaded us from getting a puppy but I'm just letting you know what to expect. :lol: I'll attach a fairly recent picture to make up for all my negativity.

post-137-13535086445753_thumb.jpg

That was a reallyhelpful post! Thanks so much! And, is there a difference between the kind of microchips most breeders give puppies before they leave and the "global" ones? I've never heard of a global microchip.

I agree! We have a new puppy, and she will be traveling with us every year when we go to Europe. We had to get her a global microchip, which will show her rabies shot (take the certificate also), but that's it. No quarantine (at least to France/England, which is where we usually go), no big hassles. DO check with your airline....for some reason, England in particular is picky about what airline flies your dog into their country.

Also, if we have to move back to Asia (we lived there before), I've already look into bringing our dog and it's no big deal. Singapore has a quarantine, but it's not very long (10 or 30 days, I forget which) and they have a great place where you can visit your dog every day. Our puppy has been such a joy to our house, I can't imagine not having her!

That was a reallyhelpful post! Thanks so much! And, is there a difference between the kind of microchips most breeders give puppies before they leave and the "global" ones? I've never heard of a global microchip.

You're welcome! I'm passionate about my puppy. :D

Yes, when we adopted our puppy, she had a chip, but it was a domestic one. The rest of the world (:confused:) uses an ISO chip with 15 digits, versus the one our dog had, which uses 9-10 digits. You can take your dog with the lower digits, but you need to buy a scanner so they can scan the chip overseas. It's easier to get another chip, I thought, so that's what I did.

Something else you may want to consider (or have already?) is whether or not the breeder would willingly sell you a dog with the knowledge that you might move in a year. A good breeder is almost certainly going to want the dog back if you need to get rid of it for some reason. You might seem like a risky placement with a potential move overseas on the horizon.

Maybe you've already discussed that with the breeder, or maybe you would mention the research you've done into what would be required to move a dog overseas. You said you were still thinking about it, and this might be another thing to consider. :001_smile:

The biggest issue for me would be the possible move to Europe. What part of Europe? Most if not all of the UK requires a 6 month process (not quarantine anymore) to get the dog in. You can't really be saying that you would buy a puppy, then when the kids have bonded for a year sell it or give it away so you could move? I'd figure that out first, as that wouldn't be fair to anyone.

My children all wanted a puppy from the time they were old enough to say puppy but due to concerns about moving a dog, I made them wait until we were settled in our own house. That was a long wait for them because we used to move every six months to a year. We did get kittens and that was hard enough. They always traveled with us in the car (many times across country) and we had to find not only hotels that allowed the cats but also rentals that allowed them. They frequently cost us substantial non-refundable deposits plus vet care is not cheap even for a healthy animal. We have had one dog for about four years now and a second one for about three years. They are a lot more work than the cats. To raise and train a dog properly is almost as much work as rasing a baby. I would recommend you wait until the children are older and you are more settled in your living situation.

The biggest issue for me would be the possible move to Europe. What part of Europe? Most if not all of the UK requires a 6 month process (not quarantine anymore) to get the dog in. You can't really be saying that you would buy a puppy, then when the kids have bonded for a year sell it or give it away so you could move? I'd figure that out first, as that wouldn't be fair to anyone.

The 6 month process is a blood test taken 6 months before you travel to make sure there is no rabies. This is for the first time the dog enters the UK. Under the PETS scheme, it is getting easier, and as of January 2012 it is even more relaxed.

Yep..I was happy to read that a couple of days ago. It's do- able if we move. The biggest issue is just whether puppy- ness is too much for us in this stage of life. My husband and I had a talk last night, and both of us are starting to lean toward getting an adult, or almost adult dog. Then, in three or four years, when the kids are older, we can give them the puppy experience. That sounds far more sane to me :) ( and still gives me my doggy fix!) .

The 6 month process is a blood test taken 6 months before you travel to make sure there is no rabies. This is for the first time the dog enters the UK. Under the PETS scheme, it is getting easier, and as of January 2012 it is even more relaxed.

:iagree: with caveats...

I am a psycho about pets being members of the family once adopted. It makes me crazy for people to adopt pets and then get rid of them. So, that said, do you know all the possible countries to which your DH could be transferred? If you can come up with a list of the possibilities, look at all the customs regs for those countries and know that it will be possible to take puppy, then I say go ahead. If one of the countries would not allow a pet or has crazy quarantines, I say wait.

:)

i don't want to sound rude but I think it is selfish to get a dog now when there is a possibility you cant take it with you when you leave. You sitting in a home without a dog a year from now is better than a dog being left at the pound, sad and scared........

I say wait until you know whether or not you're going to move overseas.

Also, we are pretty good about keeping things up so our puppy won't damage anything but....... Our puppy is at the vet right now hooked up to IV's which are flushing out his system. He also got pumped up with activated charcoal. He will be in the vet all day, possibly two, because he decided to drink two stroke oil. We don't know if he's going to make it. (this DEVASTATES us!). This will be yet another HUGE vet bill.......

In the past 2.5 months I'm sure our vet bills have crossed over $3000 now. :svengo:

Also, we are pretty good about keeping things up so our puppy won't damage anything but....... Our puppy is at the vet right now hooked up to IV's which are flushing out his system. He also got pumped up with activated charcoal. He will be in the vet all day, possibly two, because he decided to drink two stroke oil. We don't know if he's going to make it. (this DEVASTATES us!). This will be yet another HUGE vet bill.......

In the past 2.5 months I'm sure our vet bills have crossed over $3000 now. :svengo:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. I hope your dog makes it.

Oh my, how scary for you all. I hope puppy pulls through even with the big bill

Well, maybe you didn't read the other posts in this thread, but I did research the possible countries, to make sure we would be able to take the dog if we got one. If there was any possibility of not being able to take the dog, then of course we would not consider getting one at this time.

Moving to Europe is a long shot, I think at this point....it probably will not happen....it is just being bandied about by my husband's soon-to- be boss. We could still do the work that needs to be done from the States, and my husband is leaning in that direction. My main concern is just having young kids in the home and the craziness that goes with that.

And, I know you don't know me from Adam, but I would under no circumstances ever give over a pet of mine to a pound or shelter. I have only ever re-homed one dog, years ago, and it was given to a good friend who

could give the dog a better life than I could at the time. He was not a good fit for me for various reasons, and she had just lost her dog, and asked if she could have him ( she was kidding...not realizing that I was praying about another home for him...and was overjoyed when she realized I really wanted to let him live with her) . I still visited him, though. It made her last years ( she was an older woman) very happy to have that dog. After she died, I made sure that he had a good home with her neighbor and long time friend. I still check in years later for updates on him.

That is my criterion for rehoming an animal....it has to go to a home where that pet will have a better quality of life than it did with me....so I do take it seriously.

Finally, I am very,very sorry for what you are going through with your puppy right now. I hope he will get through this and live a long, healthy life with you.

i don't want to sound rude but I think it is selfish to get a dog now when there is a possibility you cant take it with you when you leave. You sitting in a home without a dog a year from now is better than a dog being left at the pound, sad and scared........

I say wait until you know whether or not you're going to move overseas.

Edited by Singingmom