Menu

Why unschooling? Isn't it boring?

I know several successful unschoolers, and that is not how things work in their home. I think learning by doing might be a better term for what they do.

I have known people who call themselves unschoolers, but do nothing but play video games or whatever. A better term for what they do might be no-schooling.

You cannot make a generalization about it.

Unschooling is not unlearning, uncreativeness, unparenting, undisciplining It's learning that doesn't look anything like school. It's adults involving children in their daily lives. It's children pursuing the things that interest them, because they have the time to pursue those things, because their parents and teachers and other adults have not set them to tasks that don't take into account their natural abilities and interests.

How did you learn about homeschooling? Did someone make you go to a class? read textbooks? write papers? No. You were interested, and you took it on yourself to find out what you needed to know. That's what unschooling is: learning that doesn't look anything like school...

...although sometimes there may be school-like activities. Sometimes unschoolers decide that what they want to learn is best learned in a classroom setting, or with a textbook, and they'll do that.

If you want to really know about unschooling, you have to read John Holt's books. All of them.

People learn by doing in school as well though. I'm confused at the proper explanation of unschooling. What do you do or don't do to be a proper unschooler? So far what I've read is you basically wait until your child has a lightbulb go on and you go from there. The waiting around part sounds dull though.

I know a few unschooling families. The parents actually put a lot of effort into their children's interests, I really admire them. Fascinating families.

:iagree: The successful unschool families I know are actually working harder than I am to keep resources available and options open for their kids. They have very hands on, messy projects going on constantly all over the house. I don't think it will work for every child or family, but I know it works great for some. We actually lean towards unschooling in some areas just by having science kits, educational games and software out and available. But I couldn't do it 24-7.

Can someone explain the catch with unschooling? Personally I'd be super bored and so would my kids. How does one plan a day if at all? Do you literally do nothing if your kid says so? Uhhh please explain.

What do you define as nothing?

Many people would define us as unschoolers. We do plenty. Yes, for the most part a day isn't planned out in advance on a time schedule.

As for the doing nothing. It's impossible for a person to do nothing. A person is always doing something - even if that something is annoying the heck out of your Mom by jumping on the bed. :)

Disqualified from what? By whom?

I'd not worry so much about defining your schooling and just do what works for you and your children.

Disqualified by unschoolers! While you are "unschooling" your child may choose to do school like activities. Are you considered to be "schooling" at that point or not? Say I want to try unschooling and meet up with fellow unschoolers, are there rules of etiquette about school like behavior happening? I'm not worried at all :)

:iagree: The successful unschool families I know are actually working harder than I am to keep resources available and options open for their kids. They have very hands on, messy projects going on constantly all over the house. I don't think it will work for every child or family, but I know it works great for some. We actually lean towards unschooling in some areas just by having science kits, educational games and software out and available. But I couldn't do it 24-7.

They have science kits, educational games and software in school though.

We have leaned more and more toward unschooling as our children got older. I started out anxious about getting everything done, and we were pretty much a ps classroom but at home. It was how I, personally, felt I needed to start in order to get a handle on everything.

As our kids got older, time spent on traditional academics have slowly shrunk -- a lot. Time for other activities -- family activities and projects, living and traveling within the US and abroad, and strong interests/passions on my kids' parts have slowly taken over. We do minimal academics and lots of everything else. As a result, they have had the opportunity and time to fully immerse themselves in what they love to do. We do not allow them to do it recklessly, but help them to set goals and figure out all of the important steps necessary to succeed.

School is not 9 to 3 anymore, but is simply life, all day. They've accomplished some pretty amazing things, and love it.

That's not to say we're 100% unschoolers; we're definitely not. However, our biggest concentration is on life experiences and personal and family projects/goals.

I think being more traditional early on helped them to be more disciplined as we began leaning toward unschooling.

I'm not an unschooler, but I've always thought that the key element of unschooling was that it was child-lead.

To give you a public school example :svengo: :

My Ker told his teacher he was getting bored with school. She worked with him to think of something he would like to study. He picked Ancient Egypt. She sent him to the library to get some books. He decided he wants to make a pharaoh's costume and then build an Egyptian boat. She provided the materials and he works on it when he wants to. There is another class in the building that is studying Ancient Egypt. My K son can (if he wants to) go to that classroom for certain activities with that class. If he doesn't want to, he can stay in his K classroom.

It turns out I have another son in the class that is studying Ancient Egypt. He has assignments. He has times during the day where he *has* to learn about Ancient Egypt.

My K student is unschooling Ancient Egypt. My older son is not. :D

Disqualified by unschoolers! While you are "unschooling" your child may choose to do school like activities. Are you considered to be "schooling" at that point or not? Say I want to try unschooling and meet up with fellow unschoolers, are there rules of etiquette about school like behavior happening? I'm not worried at all :)

The few unschoolers I know have textbooks and "school like" activities, along with other things. Doesn't seem to me to be the materials that define unschooling, but the manner of presentation. Rather than parent-directed "Now we're going to...", it's watching the child interact with the educational options available and finding what captures the child's interest.

As our kids got older, time spent on traditional academics have slowly shrunk -- a lot. Time for other activities -- family activities and projects, living and traveling within the US and abroad, and strong interests/passions on my kids' parts have slowly taken over. We do minimal academics and lots of everything else. As a result, they have had the opportunity and time to fully immerse themselves in what they love to do. We do not allow them to do it recklessly, but help them to set goals and figure out all of the important steps necessary to succeed.

School is not 9 to 3 anymore, but is simply life, all day. They've accomplished some pretty amazing things, and love it.

I would be very interested in hearing about some of the amazing things your kids have done. I find it very interesting but difficult to visualize in a practical way. I would love to read about some examples if you have the time.

Thanks,

Trenna

I have a close friend who unschools her two girls and let me tell you, she's FAR busier than I am when it comes to making sure her girls are educated.

For me, it's easy to pick up the book and do the next lesson, you know? She doesn't have that luxury. She doesn't really use any curricula and does evverything herself. They spend so much time going to the park, the farm, museums, the zoo, everyplace they can find. She follows up on these kind of outings with making sure that the girls have lots of books at home that relate to the given topic, makes sure they have art and craft supplies to do related projects, etc.

I've never known a kid to sit around doing nothing all day. Where on earth do you get that idea? Even if they're not doing much academically don't most kids love playing outside, digging for worms, going to parks, riding their bikes, reading comic books, etc?

The thought of my friend just sitting around waiting is laughable, really. They're always on the go, always doing something! Unschooling isn't necessarily the best choice for my family but I can see how it can work well for others.

I think you are hanging on the "un" portion too much. I don't believe when used in the term "unschooling" it is meant to mean "anti-" or "exact opposite" of schooling. Thus, the fact that a school might use a science kit does not mean that an unschooler would not. Whether a particular resource or method is used is not definitive IMO.

I have a close friend who unschools her two girls and let me tell you, she's FAR busier than I am when it comes to making sure her girls are educated.

For me, it's easy to pick up the book and do the next lesson, you know? She doesn't have that luxury. She doesn't really use any curricula and does evverything herself. They spend so much time going to the park, the farm, museums, the zoo, everyplace they can find. She follows up on these kind of outings with making sure that the girls have lots of books at home that relate to the given topic, makes sure they have art and craft supplies to do related projects, etc.

I've never known a kid to sit around doing nothing all day. Where on earth do you get that idea? Even if they're not doing much academically don't most kids love playing outside, digging for worms, going to parks, riding their bikes, reading comic books, etc?

The thought of my friend just sitting around waiting is laughable, really. They're always on the go, always doing something! Unschooling isn't necessarily the best choice for my family but I can see how it can work well for others.

I got the idea of a child being bored from a homeschooling article written by the child himself. He said there were boring lulls. I'm sure there are plenty of dull moments with certain people.

Disqualified by unschoolers! While you are "unschooling" your child may choose to do school like activities. Are you considered to be "schooling" at that point or not?

If you child is willingly doing it - it is USing.

If you are making them do it - it is not USing.

That is it in a nutshell.

Absolutely. But at school these types are materials are used at a particular time, in a particular way, with a particular outcome and ending expected. I am not an unschooler, but am more laid back than many people here. I'm not saying either approach is right for every kid. I just have a couple of kids that have done very well (at least in terms of knowledge and performance on standardized tests) with an approach that many would balk at.

I got the idea of a child being bored from a homeschooling article written by the child himself. He said there were boring lulls. I'm sure there are plenty of dull moments with certain people.

Well, yes. I think all ways of education have boring aspects.

Many USers I know know argue being bored and learning how to self-entertain or find the next thing to excite you is part of the process. It involves developing intrinisic motivation to get a move on, as opposed to external motivation to do so. It is not always so clear cut, of course, and people of all ages get in ruts…. The idea is often: "you are bored? What can you do to fix that? Do you need help with this issue?" as opposed to parents deliberately keeping kids very scheduled so they do not experience boredom.

I'm sure this is true. It's also true that almost all children will also find boring lulls in traditional homeschool, not to mention public school.

IMO unschooling done right is more work for the parent than traditional homeschooling.

I don't understand the desire to qualify such a vague concept. I can tell you that I'm a secular classical homeschooler with an eclectic twist and an unschooling afterschooler, and you can try to guess what my days look like and never come close. So what?

:iagree::lol:

Can someone explain the catch with unschooling? Personally I'd be super bored and so would my kids. How does one plan a day if at all? Do you literally do nothing if your kid says so? Uhhh please explain.

What does your family do on non-school days? Weekends, holidays, vacations/breaks? I imagine that is what you'd do all the time if you were unschoolers.

If we were unschoolers, some days would be "nothing" -- except eating. We always seem to do that. And walk the dog. A lot!

Some days would be full up with outside activities and projects and reading and outdoor play and online gaming and drawing and visiting with friends. And eating. And walking the dog!

We aren't unschoolers and probably never will be, but I don't think it would ever be boring!

I was very active in the on-line unschooling community for several years, starting when my kids were toddlers, and then we officially unschooled for two years.

I will try to answer your question as objectively as possible.

Here are some truths that were stressed repeatedly by many, including the unschooling "top dogs":

1) Workbooks/school materials can be used as long as you use them like coloring books -- the kids do them when they like, a little or a lot, pages in any order, nothing assigned or required

2) A kid should follow whatever interests him/her at that moment. If they lose interest in a book while you're reading it to them, you should stop. If they'd rather watch Sponge Bob than do a science experiment with you, then they will learn more from Sponge Bob. Unless it is absolutely impossible or directly harms someone, you should let them what they want when they want.

3) People learn lots and lots and lots from video games/on-line gaming, WOW, etc, and it should never be limited or frowned upon. In my six years of being in this community, that principle was stressed more than anything any other single thought. If your child is on-line gaming so much that they don't want to eat, you should bring them plates of finger-food.

4) Similarly, TV content and time spent watching should be unlimited. It is constantly stressed how much kids can learn from TV, even Jerry Springer and SpongeBob and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

5) It is fine for a child to not read when they are 10 or 12. It just shows they are "not ready." They should be "left alone" and they will catch up practically overnight.

6) All math concepts and skills normally taught from grades 1-8 can be learned by any interested 14 year old in one week.

7) Don't wait for the kids to say what they want to do. Suggest things, but the kids can always say "no." This includes chores or picking up after themselves.

Gotta run, let me know if you have more questions!

I was very active in the on-line unschooling community for several years, starting when my kids were toddlers, and then we officially unschooled for two years.

Here are some truths that were stressed repeatedly by many, including the unschooling "top dogs":

1) Workbooks/school materials can be used as long as you use them like coloring books -- the kids do them when they like, a little or a lot, pages in any order, nothing assigned or required

2) A kid should follow whatever interests him/her at that moment. If they lose interest in a book while you're reading it to them, you should stop. If they'd rather watch Sponge Bob than do a science experiment with you, then they will learn more from Sponge Bob. Unless it is absolutely impossible or directly harms someone, you should let them what they want when they want.

3) People learn lots and lots and lots from video games/on-line gaming, WOW, etc, and it should never be limited or frowned upon. In my six years of being in this community, that principle was stressed more than anything any other single thought. If your child is on-line gaming so much that they don't want to eat, you should bring them plates of finger-food.

4) Similarly, TV content and time spent watching should be unlimited. It is constantly stressed how much kids can learn from TV, even Jerry Springer and SpongeBob and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

5) It is fine for a child to not read when they are 10 or 12. It just shows they are "not ready." They should be "left alone" and they will catch up practically overnight.

6) All math concepts and skills normally taught from grades 1-8 can be learned by any interested 14 year old in one week.

7) Don't wait for the kids to say what they want to do. Suggest things, but the kids can always say "no." This includes chores or picking up after themselves.

Interesting! I knew there was some purist type unschooling method but it was never explained to me. I know some unschoolers and it seems they have a way of planning the "unplanned".

Edited by treestarfae
forgot the "un"

We have a group here in town that very much identifies with those guidelines. They call themselves radical unschoolers. I know quite a lot of people who identify as unschoolers who do not follow those guidelines. In fact, quite a lot of my friends who unschool have days that look a lot like mine only busier. I always say I am too lazy to unschool so I follow TWTM.

Mostly what I see with my friend's unschooling is that they let their kids pick lots of what they do. For example, I do science following the 4 year cycle as laid out in TWTM. I do that for convenience, more than anything. If I do that I know I will prob. hit most of what should be covered at any given age. My friends are more likely to do a whole bunch of science as per their kids interests. So, they might have one who spends a few months watching nature videos and reading animal books and another kid who is making potato cannons and toy rockets. There might be months with no science but lots of history reading.

edited to add: many of my unschooling friends tell me that my way of schooling looks very boring to them. I do the same thing, every day, day in and day out, week after week. I am sure we look like a bunch of study grinds to them.

Did you go to a formal school to learn about homeschooling? I'm guessing you learned about homeschooling the same way you've learned LOTS of interesting things. You read books, talked to people who knew, looked online, asked LOTS of questions and persevered until your curiosity was satisfied or you were led to the next question. Maybe learning the ins and outs of homeschooling laws and paperwork wasn't fun, but you did it anyway because it took you where you needed to go. Were you bored by the process or did you find it interesting? I imagine that's how successful unschoolers learn everything.

I'm not a 'real' unschooler by a long shot, but I did take a year to give it a shot. In our case, I learned which subjects we could comfortably unschool and which subjects I really needed to direct with each child. I have some specific, traditional educational goals for them and was delightfully surprised to learn that SOME of them COULD be met leaving the kids to their own devices.

I know families who successfully unschool, but their children are intrinsically motivated across the curriculum. The parents and children are high-energy folks. My kids were not naturally curious about EVERYTHING so I pulled the plug on across-the-board unschooling and put them back on formal lessons with their least favorite subjects.

I'm no expert, not even particularily well informed on the topic, but my impression is that unschooling is about helping to cultivate a culture within the home of curiosity and personal motivation. Their belief is that learning that is self-motivated is always more meaningful.

That's what I took away from the John Taylor Gatto stuff that I've read.

I don't do it myself. We're chug along and plug away types, but I do respect unschoolers who do it well, and I've known some who do do it well.

Much like classical education, some folks do it well; some folks do it (in my mind) poorly.

and actually doing it.

Just because a science kit sits on a shelf doesn't mean that anyone will possess the interest to actually open it up and figure it out.

Unschooling is about helping children to develop those natural curiosities that lead to a positive learning loop.

It helps me understand a friend of mine that has grown more and more into unschooling. I don't agree with the movement, personally, but I appreciate a glimpse into her thinking.

This also has a lot of overlap with the parenting philosophy "TCS" or Taking Children Seriously. I remember it having a boom in the early 00s, but I haven't heard it mentioned in a long time. I may be out of the loop though.

I know plenty of unschoolers who are not TCS in their life philosophy.

1) Workbooks/school materials can be used as long as you use them like coloring books -- the kids do them when they like, a little or a lot, pages in any order, nothing assigned or required. Probably true unless the child asks for structure in doing the work.

3) People learn lots and lots and lots from video games/on-line gaming, WOW, etc, and it should never be limited or frowned upon. In my six years of being in this community, that principle was stressed more than anything any other single thought. If your child is on-line gaming so much that they don't want to eat, you should bring them plates of finger-food. I disagree with the "never." Some USing parents never limit screens, some severely restrict screens, and everything in between. I heard the finger food thing before - but it seems more the stuff of urban legend than reality. I have met no USing parents online or in real life who would bring their kids finger foods on anything other than a sporadic basis. I occasionally bring food to people who are doing something because I am in a generous mood, but more often than not I tell them to get off their butt and get their own drink, lol :D

5) It is fine for a child to not read when they are 10 or 12. It just shows they are "not ready." They should be "left alone" and they will catch up practically overnight. I think many USers are Ok with learning to read later rather than sooner. I do not think this extends to 12 year olds (for the most part). I know very few homeschooled or USed kids who cannot read by 12 - the few kids I know who have struggled with literacy have all been public school kids. If you went on a forum expressing worry that your 12 year old could not read, I , an USing mother, would suggest the following:

-screening for LD

-eye exams

-serious conversations around their lack of skills in this area. Hopefully the child and parent could come to some agree meant on how to build the literacy skills. In any event, reading is a life skill - you do not just get to opt out of it.

-tutoring or other outside help, including counselling.

Not one week, but I think older, motivated kids can learn stuff pretty darn quickly. (where is that hiding smilie?)

7) Don't wait for the kids to say what they want to do. Suggest things, but the kids can always say "no." This includes chores or picking up after themselves. Depends on the USer. My kids have to clean up after themselves - they are capable and I am not a maid.

I was going to let this go - but I find I can't as I do not want USing misrepresented. I am very close to an USer and have hung out on an USing forum ( a moderate one, IMHO) for years. My comments above in blue. Of course, all this does is show the variety that exists among USers! It is hard to pigeon hole a system, and I think USing is a harder system than most to pigeon hole.

I worked harder as an unschooling parent than I do using a traditional homeschooling method. It was truly exhausting. No one wanted to sit around and do absolutely nothing, but I do think they would be happy to do that now if it meant getting out of doing school work.

We unschooled for several years before I moved toward a more ecclectic approach. (Also, because I had more kids starting to hit the preschool/K ages.) I actually found it harder to do because I like being super-organized. I guess I wouldn't have been a purist because we had screen time rules :lol:.

The idea for me was to be super child directed. And sometimes, that did mean a textbook or a workbook, but usually for us, it was more like several unit studies at a time. You can plan ahead a little bit, but it was more like:

We take a trip to the museum. DS sees something that really interests him. We take a library visit for books on the subject, maybe a movie. We do crafts or experiments that are mentioned in the books or brought up online in regards to the subject that he's picked out. I would read some of these materials aloud, sometimes he would read aloud, and sometimes he read to himself. A lot of things were triggered by things he learned or read about in Cub Scouts and 4H. (I know people that get most of their homeschooling covered with 4H and a math book alone!)

If there is a math concept that must be covered and he wants to understand that, you'd help him learn that concept and only offer a book or a workbook if he asked for one or asked for clarification. (He learned multiplication of single digits while trying to figure out things for a viking ship, for example.) Sometimes, it would be a direct request. "Can you show me how a ruler works and explain all the measurements?" Some of this would spiral into other areas. We'd keep notebooks and records of what he did so if he wanted to stop and pick up something else, he could. The idea is, he is going to really focus on something he is invested in and super-interested in, and that will allow him to learn more than he would if he were being told what to do.

I can say that several, not all by any means, but several of the unschoolers we met were a tad bit bratty and expected everything to be their way. It made it difficult when one of them took a library class on a subject with us, for example. Thankfully, we didn't run into that type too much.

Then my next son was the kind that wanted a list of what to do and certain things he did every day. I decided I liked that better :lol:. It wasn't as exhausting! I can imaging unschooling being a bit easier with a motivated older child, where you don't have to be watching and getting materials all the time. I think some parents and kids can really thrive on it though. They love the freedom to switch things up and jump into something without feeling committed. It's not me!

I can also see how unschooling could become no-schooling in the hands of an unmotivated or downright lazy parent or child. A childhood friend of my sister was living in a cruddy high school district in a bad neighborhood, so her mom said she homeschooled her instead of sending her. Except she did absolutely nothing but watch TV, hang out, party etc. She eventually got a job working retail, and just recently, 10 years later, is Their big plan was to find someone rich to marry. It didn't exactly happen that way!

Among the unschoolers I've actually met, most were TV-free families. It never occurred to me to link unlimited TV time with unschooling. I've mainly seen it interpreted as 'learn what you want in your own time' and not in a no-boundaries-ever kind of way. I haven't met the more sluggish variety . . .I guess they're all at home watching Jerry Springer?

Most of the families I know IRL seem to be "unschoolers". Many of them seem to be doing an excellent job with it. When I ask these individuals' children what they have been up to lately, they always have the most interesting projects that they are working on.

Unfortunately, I also am acquainted with some "unschoolers" who are failing their children by not making sure their children get a decent education.

"Child-led" learning can work very well for a bright, motivated student. However, if the child has a learning disability or is simply unmotivated, that's when the parent needs to take a more active role.

I have seen it work and I have been it not work. Likewise with traditional homeschooling and public or private schools.

A significant portion of my high school (I went to a small school that may be best described as Hippie High) had been unschooled at some point prior to enrollment. I had been out of school for 2 years doing nothing but reading. Some did fine, some did great but a large chunk of them did horrible. The more successful ones had basic math skills and were readers. The ones who were below grade level in math and reading struggled. It was not true that they could catch up on certain things very quickly when they put their minds to it.

The ones who were below grade level in math and reading struggled. It was not true that they could catch up on certain things very quickly when they put their minds to it.

I disagree - somewhat. I do think many kids can catch up quickly - but it is best done before they enter school. Entering school with deficits would be difficult, as the child needs a catch-up plan, not the regular curriculum. Moreover, they might get poor grades in the beginning, which can affect their self-esteem on this issue.

etc

Oh, I forgot to add what is probably the most important principle in the unschooling world -- Learning happens all the time, from all waking activities, and all of it is equal.

So anything a person does -- reading a book, throwing paper airplanes off a balcony, playing with friends at the park, singing along with the radio, taking a bath, eating a snack, watching sit-coms, playing World of Warcraft, doing a math problem -- all of it is "school hours," and no one activity is better or more educational than another.

Actually, that's not completely true. Whatever the child wants to do at that moment will be the most worthwhile and educational activity. So watching a sit-com would be more educational that reading a book or doing a science experiment, if that is, in fact, what the child wants to do.

This has been my experience. I've met lots of people who call themselves unschoolers and they varied quite a bit. Some even used boxed curriculum. So really, there is not one single thing I can pick out that defines them.

:iagree:

I have a friend who is using the label "unschooler" and she's busier than can be believed. We do a lot with this family, there's a wide range of ages and techniques being used, also there is a ton of achievement going on..and the learning is quality and has no time frame during the day such as "we start at 8 a.m. and end at 2 p.m." They go 24 hours a day.

If anyone came up to me and introduced the "unschooler" category for their style, I wouldn't assume anything. I think it's a term some folks are just comfortable with at times and keeps things uncomplicated and short.

Explaining your outlook and methods can be, sometimes, nothing short of exhausting. I find it as a neutral sort of statement in my direct experience, not tied to any one particular set of rules or application.

I disagree - somewhat. I do think many kids can catch up quickly - but it is best done before they enter school. Entering school with deficits would be difficult, as the child needs a catch-up plan, not the regular curriculum. Moreover, they might get poor grades in the beginning, which can affect their self-esteem on this issue.

I was not commenting in the abstract but on specific school I attended for 3.5 years that had a large number of previously at least partially unschooled students (including me, who simply refused to attend 7th and 8th grades and read instead.) The school was non-traditional and run by students and teachers cooperatively. There were no grades but no credit was awarded in any class for work that would have received less than a B elsewhere. Lots of independent studies, internships, projects etc were available. A great education was possible there but in reality did not happen so much for the kids who were not already strong readers and decent in math. It was a small minority but it was primarily the students who had come to the school with the least "book" learning that really did not get much of an education (unless playing in the city's first hacky sack league counts as education?) I did not see students who had very low basic knowledge catch up with their more educated peers in a matter of weeks when they decided it was time to learn a subject. I saw them flounder, plain and simple. The ones who floundered the most were those who did not already read well, write ok and understand basic math. The students at the school ranged in age from 14 to 20.

While I do think unschooling or Sudbury education styles can work, I think that some of the ideas don't always work.

Edited by kijipt

I've observed a shift/change in unschooling during my parenting/homeschooling years. When I first began researching all this (parenting and education), I was attracted to unschooling. Ultimately, I decided not to go that direction. I did very relaxed Kindergarten with my oldest, and moved into WTM inspired homeschooling.

What I've observed, particularly being active in parenting theory circles is that a significant percentage of unschoolers were also attracted to parenting theory that involved less/no "coercion". Over the last decade or so, this theory has become so blended with unschooling theory that it is functionally hard to distinguish between unschoolers who unschool strictly as an educational theory and parents who adopt a low/no coercion/mutuality centered life and unschooling is naturally a part of that.

As for *unschooling* as an educational approach only, I've observed it to be rich, engaging, and interesting.

I think that unschooling would be a lot of hard work to be done correctly. Just what "correctly" is, is open to interpretation. ;)

I have tons of unschooler friends, with varying degrees of styles, methods, etc. etc. Some appear to be doing better than others, but really... it's not my family, and I don't know what is really going on in their house and lives. Most seem to be running around to a thousand activities.

My MOST unschooly friend (you know the kind... with a kid that can't read at 11 as she has never shown an interest while the younger one is reading giant novels) her 11 year old decided she wanted to go to school and so they spent a year "getting her up to speed", then she went to school. She still has trouble with some things, but heck... I would never have made any of those decisions. The other is still happily unschooling. I suppose that is the ultimate child led situation... I would NOT let my kids go to a school, especially a middle school girl.

I, personally, dislike unschooling for my own reasons.... but I could care less if someone else does it. I do dislike how unschoolers' style of parenting can screw up an activity, playgroup or co-op you've put together. :tongue_smilie: I also dislike how many they tend to lump anyone who doesn't unschool into a big YUCKO category. As if you are torturing your kid by doing math every day. Way to be accepting.

I do dislike how unschoolers' style of parenting can screw up an activity, playgroup or co-op you've put together. :tongue_smilie: I also dislike how many they tend to lump anyone who doesn't unschool into a big YUCKO category. As if you are torturing your kid by doing math every day. Way to be accepting.

Getting along with others (who may have very different viewpoints on how to do things) is very tricky. I tend to think if you have put together the co-op and have rules/expectations laid out - it is presumptuous to come in and try and change those. I have been co-leading a Brownie and Spark group for years. The girls always have free play at the beginning and yes, it gets loud. The vast majority of the girls love free play. We have a new girl, and didn't her mom yell at all the kids last week to "use indoor voices" - um, excuse me? Don't impose your way of being on an already existing, fairly happy, group.

As per you second line, I have definitely seen that happen. Many people can fall victim to stereotypes - USers don't parent and allow illiteracy to flourish; structured HSers coerce kids into work and KILL the love of learning :tongue_smilie: It very much goes both ways. I do think it can be very hard for even the most articulate among us to argue that we believe WTM or USing is the way to go without ticking someone off.

At the end of the day - my own goal is happy kids/ happy adults who are capable of meeting their goals and thriving in our society. How I get there is gravy.

Edited by kathymuggle