Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 9

I love British literature but for some reason I never like the Booker winners. I wonder why?

And, for me, Man Booker winners & nominees are often the books I love most. I think I 'click' w/ the style of books they tend to select. I even set up a page on my Goodreads account so I can tag any books I read that were Bookers. :lol:

Otoh, I have often disliked Newberry (kids) books & Pulitzer lit winners (w/ the exception of Middlesex, which is one of my favorite books).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a totally different note, where do most of you get your reading material?

I am asking because dh has traveled to Australia twice in the last three weeks and a few days ago when he was there, he thought he would buy me an Australian mystery since I love mysteries so much. It was a slightly bigger than normal paperback book so he was expecting to pay about 12-15 dollars considering that everything is more expensive in Australia. No, he didn't buy it for me since the paperback was 24 dollars. Now I mostly read books from the library but I had to buy one book recently for book club since I couldn't get it from the library in time. It was a hardback and still only cost 16 dollars and then I sold it and made 12 so it wasn't a bad price for me.

I guess I should make a poll in the general board but for now, I will see how many answer.

:lol: Not quite, since I've never been a huge Elvis fan. Sure, I love lots of his songs. This one, in particular is one of my favorites. :D Crazy about this one. The Elvis parts were really funny, IMHO. Then again, I've heard all sorts of crazy stories about him through the years. Who hasn't? ;) Our health & phys ed teacher in college told us that he died from a really bad bout of constipation ... that he was perpetually constipated. The entire class went :001_huh:. Cybill Shepherd is quite funny and very real throughout this book. It's not a book I would have paid much $$ for - just a fun and entertaining read overall. I like her. :)

That was me, I was sort of kidding about Elvis being ruined for me! It's just that the Elvis part was funny...he wore all this make-up etc. I can't really remember because I think I got it at the library when it first came out years ago, but it turns out that Elvis is a man, and not a god....:lol:!!!

I thought Cybill was funny too. Another fun book I read by a celeb lately was the Rob Lowe one.

Usually from the library. Our county has a pretty good system, but a neighboring county has a great/much bigger selection, so I pay an annual fee of $40 to belong to that library system too. I figure $40 definitely pays for itself w/ the variety of reading material I'm able to get there.

Second is through PaperbackSwap. (I got rid of lots of books over the last 2 years, so I have some credits to still use....)

Third, gifts. I don't often ask for books, but will for ones that I really want to read & can't find through the library.

Once in a very rare while, I will purchase a book for myself. I rarely re-read books, so I don't really care about 'owning' books just for the sake of filling bookcases. Most books that I buy are the few that I love so much that I would consider re-reading & want a copy on hand. (Otoh, my dc have numerous bookcases filled w/ books as they re-read books constantly. And, I actually bought a book this past week. I read "The Night Circus" & loved it, thought dd would love it, so I bought a copy for my dd.)

I do think there is a certain style (can't think of a better word?) the judges tend to gravitate toward. So if you don't like one book, you probably won't like the others. (That's an awfully broad generalization, admittedly.)

I find that true of reviewers, too. There is one guy in particular: he reviews mysteries for BookPage, and you can be sure if it is one of his Picks of the Month, I'll hate it. :D

I agree. That's why I feel comfortable picking up Bookers for myself & not Pulitzers.

I know what you mean about individuals too. There are a couple of people I know irl where I thank them for their book suggestions, then make a mental note never to read the book. :tongue_smilie::lol:

:lol: Not quite, since I've never been a huge Elvis fan. Sure, I love lots of his songs. This one, in particular is one of my favorites. :D Crazy about this one. The Elvis parts were really funny, IMHO.
That was me, I was sort of kidding about Elvis being ruined for me! It's just that the Elvis part was funny...he wore all this make-up etc. I can't really remember because I think I got it at the library when it first came out years ago, but it turns out that Elvis is a man, and not a god....:lol:!!!

LOL. I feel like I know way too much about Elvis because a couple of family members (incl. my sister) are huge Elvis fans.

Sigh.

I've now abandoned two of my personal rules, apparently. I have not yet managed to finish one of the classics I told myself I would read, and I'm counting three books I've re-read in order to keep up with my goals.

It's been turbulent around here for the last few weeks, and I'm having a lot of trouble making myself focus on anything challenging.

With that said, here's my list so far:

1. Clockwork Prince, Cassandra Clare

2. What Colleges DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Tell You, Elizabeth Wizner-Gross

3. Angelica, Arthur Phillips

4. The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe

5. Colleges That Change Lives, Loren Pope

6. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

7. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins

8. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

Number 9 will be The Girl Who Chased the Moon, by Sarah Addison Allen, which I'm a little more than half-way done reading now and should finish while waiting around for kids tonight.

Well, I'm behind. I keep picking books that take more than one week for me to read. But, at least I'm reading. I'm reading Andrew Murray's The Holiest of All which I started last week. I'm also reading Three Cups of Tea, but only at a snail's pace. We are staying at my mom's house for the week, so hopefully, I'll have more time for reading.

52/52

6. Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

5. God's Smuggler by John Sherrill and Brother Andrew

4. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Books read in 2012

â–  Defending Jacob (William Landay; fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 4: Endangered Species (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

I like your list (haven't included it all in the above quote ;)). Many of your titles are ones that look interesting, both to me and to our dd. I've sent her links to some of your books and I'm quite sure she'll ask me to order them. :)

Unfortunately, no library here.

Kindle, a few measly bookstores here (more and more pitiful these days), and Book Depository. I spend a lot on books. But at least I love it, for the most part. I really dislike it when I purchase a book and I don't like it much. Kindle freebies are usually not good. I really hate the fact that Kindle books cost so much.

I like your list (haven't included it all in the above quote ;)). Many of your titles are ones that look interesting, both to me and to our dd. I've sent her links to some of your books and I'm quite sure she'll ask me to order them. :)

Thanks! I like my list, too. (*grin*)

I've got The Taming of the Shrew (a re-read), Timon of Athens, and Jonathan Bates' The Genius of Shakespeare on the nightstand because over the next two months we're going to see Shrew and Timon at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, and we scored *awesome* seats for Being Shakespeare starring Simon Callow, which was written by Bates.

But, oh, how I do also enjoy graphic fiction, which I only discovered in the last four or five years, and, yes, YA fiction. And competent contemporary fiction. And classics, big C and little. As I've mentioned here and on M-mv, I also enjoy non-fiction, but I tend to read it it ever so much more slooooowly than fiction and plays. Why is that? I wonder.

Anyway, if my list looks good to you or your daughter, you may want to poke around the book tabs on my blog. There are nearly nine years' worth of lists, recommendations, and ruminations on all sorts of books.

Hey, and wasn't you that recommended Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress? I picked that up last week.

I finished Henty's Winning His Spurs last week and finally got my review posted. I'm currently rereading The Well Trained Mind, working my way slowly through The History of the Kings of Britain with my oldest, and trying to read and stay ahead of my 5th grader in Johnny Tremain and The Wolves of Willoughby Place. (Why did I assign her two literature books that I hadn't preread at one time???) Hopefully I'll finish 2 of them this week and catch back up for the year.

Books read in 2012

7. Winning His Spurs by Henty

6. The Song of Roland by Sayers

5. Sink Reflections by Cilia

4. A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare

3. Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Verne

2. Beowulf by Heaney

1. Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half by Economides

Our library is... limited.

I haunt used bookstores, Goodwill, Amazon, and free electronic versions.

This year since my personal reading list is also a curriculum I am buying more books than normal. - but all my kids will eventual read a version of this years books.

over the next two months we're going to see Shrew and Timon at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater,

Oh, you are lucky! :D

I also enjoy non-fiction, but I tend to read it it ever so much more slooooowly than fiction and plays. Why is that? I wonder.

Dd loves graphic fiction also.

Non-fiction ... I also have a very hard time with them, other than back in the day when I was reading all the pregnancy, nursing, and baby care books out there ;). The only non-fiction books that I've read that I can think of that didn't feel too non-fiction-ish - The Geography of Bliss and Nothing to Envy. Oh, I also enjoyed Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. Mindset was very good also. And I just love Malcolm Gladwell.

Anyway, if my list looks good to you or your daughter, you may want to poke around the book tabs on my blog. There are nearly nine years' worth of lists, recommendations, and ruminations on all sorts of books.

Yes, I glanced at it this morning and am going to bookmark it. :)

Hey, and wasn't you that recommended Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress? I picked that up last week.

Nice. :)

No, I think Stacia was the first one who mentioned it to me. She read it a while back. It had been on my never-ending wish list for the longest while.

I am asking because dh has traveled to Australia twice in the last three weeks and a few days ago when he was there, he thought he would buy me an Australian mystery since I love mysteries so much. It was a slightly bigger than normal paperback book so he was expecting to pay about 12-15 dollars considering that everything is more expensive in Australia. No, he didn't buy it for me since the paperback was 24 dollars.

My husband and I visited New Zealand for three weeks last summer when our daughter was there doing a semester abroad. As an avid reader, I quickly read through all six books that I had packed and went looking for more. I too was astounded at the cost of new books. $24.00 for a paperback was not uncommon; however, I also saw new larger format paperbacks selling for $40.00. Interestingly, most of the libraries that we visited while there (yes, I am a library junkie!) also charge a $1.00 or more borrowing fee for newer releases. It makes me quite appreciative of my local free library.

As to where I obtain most of my reading material -- the library (both the free local one and the one in a nearby larger city where I pay $120.00 for a year's membership), inter-library loan, thrift stores, and occasionally new (as gifts).

Regards,

Kareni

I have started The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino.

From kirkusreviews.com:

"A veteran police detective matches wits with a brilliant rookie criminal.

Meticulous high-school math teacher Ishigami frequents the modest box-lunch shop Benten-tei because of his crush on Yasuko Hanaoka, a young mother who works there. Yonazawa and his wife Sayoko, who manage the shop, speculate regularly about Ishigami's visits, but Yasuko seems oblivious to his attention. Although she and her daughter Misato are Ishigami's apartment building neighbors, they've never spoken outside of the shop. One evening, Yasuko's abusive ex-husband Togashi surprises her at home. A fight ensues, and when Misato intervenes to help her mother, Togashi is killed. As the panicked Yasuko considers her options, Ishigami knocks on her door and takes charge, from disposing of the body to crafting alibis for them. Enter veteran detective Kusanagi and his brisk junior partner Ki****ani, who examine the body, dumped naked and wrapped in blue plastic in a factory district, its face bashed in. The inevitable discovery of the victim's identity leads to the pro forma questioning of both Yasuko and Ishigami. Ki****ani is ready to dismiss them as suspects, but the veteran Kusanagi puts them on a mental back burner. Ishigami obsessively replays and adjusts his movements, using the murder to get close to Yasuko. When detective Manabu Yukawa, Ishigami's college rival, is added to the investigative team, it threatens to send him over the edge.

This character-driven mystery by the prolific Higashino (Malice, 2009, etc.), one of only a few translated into English, has much to recommend it, including a droll Columbo-like sleuth and a great surprise ending."

ETA: This forum/website actually changed/censored the name in the synopsis.... :rolleyes:

So far:

1. Thrush Green--cozy light fiction

2. The First Paul--non-fiction, did a good job of redeeming Paul in my eyes

3. 100 Cupboards

(and)

4. Dandelion Fire--fun juvenile fantasy

5. Scarlet Feather--fluff

6. Brunelleschi's Dome--non-fiction, interesting

7. The Book of Mormon Girl--memoir, fun to read as she and I were at the same college at the same time

8. Duty Free--fluff, so-so

9. The Thin Man--mystery novel with a stereotypical hardboiled detective, except this is one of the books that established the stereotype

10. Galileo's Daugther--non-fiction, interesting

11. My husband's latest novel

12. Witches Under Way--fluff from my current favorite writer of fluff

13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy--this one is on so many reading lists, including the "I Can't Believe You Haven't Read That Yet!" list; fun, but not a life-changer for me

14. Slaughterhouse-Five--another book I should have read years ago; excellent

15. On Writing--I enjoyed the memoir parts more than the writing parts, but a good read overall

Eaglei- On writing is terrific! King is a master story teller. I don't do horror but I've added some of his non-horror to my list. Earthy, like Lamott, but not as gratuitous, imho. I LOVED King's book. If I wasn't so into Sayers, it would be my fav book of the year so far.

Wow - two recommendations for the book! And, amazingly, I just checked the online holdings for my local library and - - - they not only have it, they have two copies - one in the bio section and one in large print! Just simply amazing. Since I have to go into town tomorrow, I think I will run by and sign it out.

By the way, I started the Lamott book today. Just got the Intro done - long, busy day (fraught with bad news on top of it all), but her writing, as with her other non-fiction, drew me right in.

Well, I ditched 'Night Circus.' I just could not muster enough interest to keep plodding on. I feel sad because I waited 5 months for that book and then it was a dud. :sad:

I have moved on to 11/2/63 by Stephen King. I am moving at my usual speed so I am happy now. It has been a long time since I have read a King book. Wow! I forgot what a great writer he is (or maybe he has just matured into a great writer? )

20. Gudrun's Kitchen: Recipes from a Norwegian Family by Irene and Edward Sandvold~cookbook, biography. Family story of a woman who moved from Norway to the Midwest in the early 20th century. Some recipes, not all classic Norwegian. Bizarrely, this woman lived first in the same Chicago neighborhood as my father, then in the same small Wisconsin town (just down the road) as my mother.

19. Twelve Owls by Laura Erickson~non-fiction, birds. Beautiful watercolors. Book suffers because it doesn't really know if its a children's book or not. It's not long, but often the material skews older. Also does not have a consistent viewpoint (sometimes the birds, often the birders). Lots of information, late elementary or above.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII

17. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, space

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, baking

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, humorous

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

In progress:

Flora Mirabilis (Howell)

Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers (Carmichael)

Corvus: a Life with Birds (Woolfson)

Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood (Sacks)

Redwall (Jacques)-read aloud

Most of the books I read are library books (hard copy or e-book). I find a few on Paperback swap. Sometimes I can get books through ILL but that's hit or miss.

I rarely buy books, or get them as gifts. I don't know why, but I always ask for books as gifts and don't get any. Which is why I was so excited when I received books from my WTM book thread friends. :D

I asked my 8 yr old what book he'd like me to read aloud next. He picked The Swiss Family Robinson. I was shocked. :001_huh: I've read the book once to them already last year, and I pretty much had to explain a word or two in every sentence. At the time this particular ds voiced his annoyance at not understanding much. Now, he wants me to read it again? Big sigh. It is not the easiest read aloud for me. One thing is sure, Mr. Wyss really liked semicolons.

Today I got a surprise book present in the mail! :hurray: I do not know who it was from, though I suspect a boardie. It was completely anonymous and had no packing slip, so the best I can do is to say THANK YOU here on this thread, and hope the person sees it! Wow, what a lovely thing to do!

He picked The Swiss Family Robinson. I was shocked. :001_huh: I've read the book once to them already last year, and I pretty much had to explain a word or two in every sentence. At the time this particular ds voiced his annoyance at not understanding much. Now, he wants me to read it again? Big sigh. It is not the easiest read aloud for me. One thing is sure, Mr. Wyss really liked semicolons.

If you feel like it (after the book, of course :D), the movie (the old classic one) is nice. We've seen it a few times. It was filmed very near us - in Tobago.

swissfamilyrobinson_240.jpg

COMPLETE

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

7. 11/22/63, by Stephen King (LOVED!)

8. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)

CURRENT

9. Into the Dreaming, by Karen Marie Moning (last in the Highlander series)

I've finished "Into the Dreaming," and I'm reading "A Judgement In Stone" by Ruth Rendell.

What provoked a modern-day St. Valentine's Day massacre? On Valentine's Day, four members of the Coverdale family- George, Jacqueline, Melinda, and Giles- were murdered in the space of 15 minutes. Their housekeeper, Eunice Parchman, shot them one by one in the blue light of a televised performance of Don Giovanni. When Detective Chief Superintendent William Vetch arrests Miss Parchman two weeks later, he discovers a second tragedy: the key to the Valentine's Day massacre, a private humiliation Eunice Parchman has guarded all her life. A brilliant rendering of character, motive, and the heady discovery of truth, A Judgement in Stone is among Ruth Rendell's finest psychological thrillers.

I don't usually read her but my mother read it and passed it on insisting it was a great read, so, we'll see!

8. Blabbermouth by Joel Travis. Eh. Definitely not the worst thing I've read, but not the best. I'd put it at low-mediocre. It did a sufficient job of distracting me from the fact that I spent most of the weekend sitting on uncomfortable chairs waiting for dd to complete auditions, complete dance lessons, etc. etc. And it was free on the Kindle.

9. The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn. Told in first person by the dog, whose narrative voice reminds me of the Bunnicula series (very popular at our house). This is apparently number 4 in a series, but was a fine standalone. I'll be looking for more of the series -- it was a lot of fun, and if you're in the mood for a fluffy, dog-centric mystery then this is for you.

Previously:

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

2. Science of Sexy by Bradley Bayou

3. Wool by Hugh Howey

4. Wool 2: Proper Gauge by Hugh Howey

5. Wool 3: Casting Off by Hugh Howey

6. Wool 4: Unraveling by Hugh Howey

7. Wool 5: The Stranded by Hugh Howey

9. The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn. Told in first person by the dog, whose narrative voice reminds me of the Bunnicula series (very popular at our house). This is apparently number 4 in a series, but was a fine standalone. I'll be looking for more of the series -- it was a lot of fun, and if you're in the mood for a fluffy, dog-centric mystery then this is for you.

I've read the first three in the series and they were also entertaining. I have to admit that they made me think of Hank the Cowdog for adults.

Regards,

Kareni

Anyone else going to The Hunger Games at the theater next month? When I found out they cast Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, I was kind of baffled. Does he look like Haymitch to you?

We won't be going opening day but we'll definitely be going. We, too, think they cast Haymitch wrong. We picture him looking more like Dr. House on a bad day.

I will catch up on the thread later, but here is my completed list so far!

12. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

11. Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter- Lisa Patton

10. Relentless- Dean Koontz

9. Demon Seed- Dean Koontz (newer version; similar to the fisrt, but quite different in many ways; all around interesting to read the same story done two different ways)

8. Demon Seed- Dean Koontz (1973)

7. Protecting the Gift- Gavin de Becker

6. Beastchild-Dean Koontz

5. We Bought a Zoo-Benjamin Mee

4. The Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins

3. Ahab's Wife -Sena Jeter Naslund

2. When Will There Be Good News -Kate Atkinson

1. 77 Shadow Street -Dean Koontz

We won't be going opening day but we'll definitely be going.

Me, too! Not sure which day, but looking forward to seeing it!

I will catch up on the thread later, but here is my completed list so far!

12. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

11. Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter- Lisa Patton

10. Relentless- Dean Koontz

9. Demon Seed- Dean Koontz (newer version; similar to the fisrt, but quite different in many ways; all around interesting to read the same story done two different ways)

8. Demon Seed- Dean Koontz (1973)

7. Protecting the Gift- Gavin de Becker

6. Beastchild-Dean Koontz

5. We Bought a Zoo-Benjamin Mee

4. The Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins

3. Ahab's Wife -Sena Jeter Naslund

2. When Will There Be Good News -Kate Atkinson

1. 77 Shadow Street -Dean Koontz

So do you like all the Dean Koontz books as much as you did back when? I used to love him in my teens! The Handmaid's Tale is one I read many years ago and just never, ever forgot, I should re-read that one! And Protecting the Gift...every parent should read that one! By the way for a very similar philosophy but geared toward kids instead of for adults to read, I recommend "The Safe Zone," by Donna Chaiet.

Okay, I have done some reading & have even pre-ordered the sequel to Fall of Giants, which I finally finished. I'm reading the 4th Flavia mystery and so far am not thrilled--I liked the first & third ones. I'm also going to start The Housekeeper and the Professor this week.

I finished Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman. A great Christian book that really makes you think about what it means to follow Jesus rather just being a "fan" of his.

Not one library in my state has any books by him Is it worth buying?

Most of the books I read are library books

Same here, but not ebooks.

. Does he look like Haymitch to you?

HaymitchHarrelson.jpg

This is sooooo wrong. There is no way Haymitch looks like this!

Me, too! Not sure which day, but looking forward to seeing it!

So do you like all the Dean Koontz books as much as you did back when? I used to love him in my teens! The Handmaid's Tale is one I read many years ago and just never, ever forgot, I should re-read that one! And Protecting the Gift...every parent should read that one! By the way for a very similar philosophy but geared toward kids instead of for adults to read, I recommend "The Safe Zone," by Donna Chaiet.

I do still love his books. Some of the ones I have read this go around, I actually hadn't read before (the old sci-fi ones mainly (Beast Child and Demon Seed)); I bought them because I collect his books, but they weren't interesting to me at the time. I was glad to hear the same "voice" and similar messages in even his oldest novels as come through in the newer ones that I love. The Taking is my favorite ever book, and the only book I've read more than 3 times. I love it!

I really liked The handmaid's Tale, and I think it will stick with me. Reminds me a lot of The Giver and the other two in that trio.

I really liked Protecting the Gift, and I am so glad I read it. I will look into The Safe Zone as well. What age of kid is it geared towards?

I do still love his books. Some of the ones I have read this go around, I actually hadn't read before (the old sci-fi ones mainly (Beast Child and Demon Seed)); I bought them because I collect his books, but they weren't interesting to me at the time. I was glad to hear the same "voice" and similar messages in even his oldest novels as come through in the newer ones that I love. The Taking is my favorite ever book, and the only book I've read more than 3 times. I love it!

I really liked The handmaid's Tale, and I think it will stick with me. Reminds me a lot of The Giver and the other two in that trio.

I really liked Protecting the Gift, and I am so glad I read it. I will look into The Safe Zone as well. What age of kid is it geared towards?

The Safe Zone is probably for kids aged maybe 10 through middle school, teaching them strategies and philosophies similar to what adults get out of Protecting the Gift. (Maybe even a bit younger, though parents should preview it first). My daughter's judo sensei is the one who first recommended Protecting the Gift to me, and then I recently brought him in a copy of The Safe Zone and told him he should take a look at it, that I thought he'd like it (I read it with my daughter last year when she was 10). He's had it for the past three or four weeks and keeps asking if he can hold onto it for another week lol...he loves it, said he's used it with some kids he does classes with at local schools and stuff. He does anti-bullying and anti-abduction type classes.

Here's a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Zone-Guide-Personal-Safety/dp/0688153089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330461892&sr=8-1

I finished Ophelia by Lisa Klein on Saturday but didn't have time to post. At first I didn't think I liked it but the farther it went along, the more I enjoyed it. That pretty much finishes up my Hamlet readings :)

I have so many books that I want to read but a couple that I have to. Not sure where I'm going next. I woke up with the cold that dh and dd's have had and don't even fell like reading right now. Blah. My dd's have added books to their lists but I'll have to post them later.

"Ophelia" by Lisa Klein

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard

"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare

"The Sisters Grimm" by Michael Buckley

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J. K. Rowling

"The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan

"Henry V" by William Shakespeare

"The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde

I am asking because dh has traveled to Australia twice in the last three weeks and a few days ago when he was there, he thought he would buy me an Australian mystery since I love mysteries so much. It was a slightly bigger than normal paperback book so he was expecting to pay about 12-15 dollars considering that everything is more expensive in Australia. No, he didn't buy it for me since the paperback was 24 dollars.

Only $24? That's not bad. :tongue_smilie:

1. The library.

2. Online shopping, usually Book Depository.

Rosie

Finished this week:

16. The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (A collection of Miss Marple short stories. I prefer the full novels but this was interesting and fun to read. ***)

15. The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (A light romance. Her characters were likeable but the story seemed rushed at the end. Still enjoyed it a lot though. ***)

In progress:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Enrich Maria Remarque (for book club)

Ginger Pye by Elanor Estes YA (our current read aloud)

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison (my current audiobook)

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (recommended here - going to read for my ladies book club)

Arabella by Georgette Heyer (a recommendation for my romancy request)

2012 finished books:

14. Nim's Island by Wendy Orr YA (***)

13. Abandon in Old Tokyo by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (*

12. The Moving Finger: A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie (***)

11. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor YA (****)

10. The High Window by Raymond Chandler (****)

9. Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (**)

8. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (****)

7. Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (****)

6. What I Wore by Jessica Quirk (**)

5. How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp (*)

4. The Georgraphy of Bliss by Eric Weiner (***)

3. The Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty YA (*)

2. The Anybodies by NE Bode YA (**)

1. The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi (****)

Read alouds 2012:

The Twenty One Balloons by William Pene du Bois YA (****)

15. The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

Have you read Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester? Thought I'd mention it in case you (or others) might like it. I've never read Heyer, but I recently asked for recs on Goodreads for books about the Napoleonic era & this was one of the recommendations. I haven't read it yet, not sure if I will, but I just picked it up from the library....

The breakdown for the 19 books I've finished this year:

Library: 11

Purchased: 3

Borrowed from friends/family: 2

WTM Book Fairy: 3

Paperback Swap is not represented in those numbers, but I also occasionally get a book through that website. (I've got one on the way right now!) I would use PBS more, I suppose, but the waits are usually long. Either a book so popular that I'm number 2342 in line (versus number 40 in line at my library), or it's not popular enough and though I'm number 3 in line, I'll stay number 3 in line for years.

I get the majority of my books from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Also get a few from publishers or authors for review. Speaking of which

Squeee!!!! Just got asked if 52 Books wanted to be part of Peretti's online book tour for Illusions, have a post with q & a from the author and giveaway a copy of the book. Why - because they love the 52 books blog. How cool is that! Tour will be March 26 through April 9th. Of course I said yes. And you all will have a chance to win a copy of his book. So if you had to chance to ask Frank Peretti about anything at all, what would you ask him.

Forgot to answer this earlier. 99.99% of my reading material comes from the library. We have a fantastic library system that's easy to use. I love it.

Finished

• The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. Cute story, but the writing is... umhmm...lacking.
  • Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott. Very good.
  • The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. Short and sweet. I liked it, but the math and baseball were a bit too much for me. ;)

Suddenly most of my library requests became ready to pick up, so I'm having a hard time choosing what to read next. Decisions, decisions...