Menu

We have a new addition!

Rats are SUCH good pets. I just can't see past that tail, lol.

Lol, that's what my dh used to say. Yesterday I found him with Rosie sitting on his shoulder, grooming his ear. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And I do mean grooming dh's ear, not her own- rats will groom you if they like you.

Rats are SUCH good pets. I just can't see past that tail, lol.

I was thinking, "Ohhh cuuuutteeee" until I got to the tail. I just can't get past the tail. Anyway, congrats on the new addition!!

:iagree: I know they're great, but the tail........

I did have a gerbil when I was growing up. I probably just need to spend some time with a rat.

We are from a multigenerational rat owning/loving family. With proper attention, they will come when you call them by name. They love massages, playing fetch, learn tricks as good or better than a dog. Their tails don't freak me out at all...but rat boy-parts do. I'm glad you got a girl, she's just perfect. :001_wub:

Here are some of my favorites:

Not all are this mellow, but one CAN hope.

Rat massage

Pet allergies? No excuses! (I had one of these years ago)

Needless to say, I LOVE me some rat.

Edited by Geo

HA!

We just had our hamster die in the last month.

The hamsters were actually a huge fiasco with the dogs and two running away leaving 8 twelve day old babies behind. We found homes for 6 or them, one died, and then 2 years later the one we kept died.

Dawn

You are deluding yourself.

;) ;) ;)

So, will you be heading off to Petco tonight or tomorrow? :D

Awwww! So sweet!! We just lost one of our pet ratties this last Sat. a.m. :( The other two are doing well still- they'll be 2 in a couple months. They both have tumors though- pretty common in rats.

Enjoy your new addition- they are such sweet little critters!

I'm sorry. :grouphug: That's one of the only things I don't like about having rats- they have such short lifespans compared to other pets. And them being so intelligent and snuggly makes it that much harder when their time comes.

I'm sorry. :grouphug: That's one of the only things I don't like about having rats- they have such short lifespans compared to other pets. And them being so intelligent and snuggly makes it that much harder when their time comes.

Thank you. I never thought we'd be rat people 2 years ago, but they sure won us over. I hope it's ok if I post a couple pics on your thread...we took these the day she died (respiratory infection...very sudden. we took her to the vet that afternoon and she was put on antibiotics, but she died early the next morning).

This one was during the day- she was very, very lethargic. She laid with us all day until we got back from the vet...then we let her be in her cage for a couple hours.

Photo0874.jpg

This was right before she finally gave it up. The spotted white one is Tink- they were bff's and Tink was licking and staying very close to Sil at the end. Made me cry. :(

101_2371.jpg

We have another rat not pictured- quite portly with dumbo ears. Her name is Bessie...she's not as sociable with the others, but is quite content to lay in our laps.

Do you have just the one?

Cute rat.

I am terrified of all rodents, especially rats and mice. We looked at one house to rent, and the lady had pet rats. I asked if I could hold one, figuring here's a chance to face my fears. The lady was leery about that because she was afraid I'd throw the rat -- I guess out of a fear response. But I reassured her that I wouldn't do that because I wouldn't hurt an animal.

It wasn't bad at all. I carried the rat around for a good 15 minutes, and did not feel scared. It was cute, too, and it snuggled under my chin. Now I'm still afraid of wild rats, but the pet ones don't scare me.

AWE!

Thank you. I never thought we'd be rat people 2 years ago, but they sure won us over. I hope it's ok if I post a couple pics on your thread...we took these the day she died (respiratory infection...very sudden. we took her to the vet that afternoon and she was put on antibiotics, but she died early the next morning).

This one was during the day- she was very, very lethargic. She laid with us all day until we got back from the vet...then we let her be in her cage for a couple hours.

Photo0874.jpg

This was right before she finally gave it up. The spotted white one is Tink- they were bff's and Tink was licking and staying very close to Sil at the end. Made me cry. :(

101_2371.jpg

We have another rat not pictured- quite portly with dumbo ears. Her name is Bessie...she's not as sociable with the others, but is quite content to lay in our laps.

Do you have just the one?

Oh, I love her! :D And, truly, one of the best things about the rats is their tails--they feel so cool and wrap around your wrists, etc! We love ours--his name is Orlando (from the Green Knowe series).

:iagree:

We were looking at the rats in the pet shop today. I'm not sure that my Tibetan Terrier would allow such a creature to live in her house with her. :D

I have rat envy now!

Emma x