Menu

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is that Uncommon. Especially in fields where the person likely spend many years in specific types of heavy college classes, and then spend 14 hour days immersed in the same information at work, year after year.

I know many professionals, who went to medical school, law school, engineering etc where they were so specialized, at a young age, that they really don't have a broad knowledge of many subjects. It doesn't have much to do with intellegence....it has to do with interest, predominately socializing with people who you work with, and only having so many hours in a day.

On this board we know a lot about homeschool curricula. We can talk about it all day. But, barring the few attorneys here (or people immersed in the law field) it is unlikely that many of us immediately understand what a tort, true bill, or a writ of mandate is, or even the most basic differences between civil and criminal court. On a board that discusses historic law cases, true crime, tv crime drama shows, crime literature or a myriad of other topics related to the law, these would be seen as common vocabulary.

Someone who studies astronomy, would think it crazy that anyone could look up at the sky and not name the zodiac signs or common constellations. I mean really, we look at the stars every night, and we all studied them in school.....right!?!?

This doesn't make any one of us dumb, it is just the things that interest each of us.

I work in pharmacy, but I have an interest in natural items. There are many, many time that the pharmacists that I work with, (who are well educated, intelligent, well rounded people) will ask me a question that seems simple like "what do they recommend for canker sores OTC"? Not due to their lack of intelligence, but due to the fact that they didn't study it in school and since they haven't looked into themselves, they really don't know the answer. Even though I know about canker sore medications, I don't have even 1/10th of the knowledge of my pharmacists. In fact one pharmacist and I were talking about this recently and he said that by the time they got to the 'alternative medicine class' everyone was so burnt out, that they mainly concentrated on learning what they needed for their licensing exams, not the nuances between fish oil, caster oil, and flaxseed.

I don't think that knowing that a 'book of pictures with a limited words' is called a 'picture book', necessarily means anything other than, the person didn't know they had an actual name of 'picture book'. I don't think every one knows what gluten is, or that bread is made from wheat.

I say give the person some credit for saying 'I don't know about that' and fill them in. Don't chasitse people for not knowing the exact same tidbits of information that you do.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

She's not stupid, she is ignorant (on those particular topics). There is a difference.

(Remember the early intelligence tests where they used to ask people to add the missing part to a sketch of a traditional English style house, and the missing part was the chimney, so anyone from a culture that didn't have European architechture would automatically fail?)

As far as the picture book thing.....I've never referred to books with pictures in them as "picture books". We just say it's time to read a book or it's time for a story. To me, I would think a picture book is a book with just pictures in it and no words. We never called them picture books when I was a kid. So, I wonder if this has to do with what part of the United States a person grows up in.

Our library calls them picture books.

:iagree:

And you said she's a nice person....it really seems mean to post this so other people can call her 'stupid'. I wonder how she would feel if she read this thread...

anyways, I'm sure I have some pretty weird gaps in my knowledge too. It sounds like you took the time to explain to her about wheat etc and that was nice. It sounds like she's not afraid to ask you 'stupid' questions....I always appreciate the people who answer my silly questions (like my kids music teachers)

My mother, before her dementia, would have no idea what I was talking about if I started bringing up 'gluten free' diets. The thought of women sniping on a message board about her ignorance is quite saddening to me.

We all have our gaps. I'm sure there is plenty she knows that we don't.

My mother, before her dementia, would have no idea what I was talking about if I started bringing up 'gluten free' diets. The thought of women sniping on a message board about her ignorance is quite saddening to me.

This isn't about knowing what gluten is. That is very understandable. But to not know that wheat is the main ingredient in bread?

Of course, many people don't know the intricacies of a gluten free diet. But it is standard kindergarten/first grade content to learn that wheat is ground into flour for all sorts of bread products. That is the same time period when children learn that cows give milk and that chickens give eggs. We all have gaps but I wouldn't expect someone to have that basic a gap. (We also all have "brain farts" and I could see someone having one of those on a basic thing but then slapping their head with a "duh" when they realized that they had had one.)

So if one has an advanced degree in a field other than nutrition, one gets a bye about common knowledge? IMO, the knowledge that wheat is ground into flour (white or wheat) should be acquired by about age 7 or 8. Acquired by everyone, (at least those belonging to a culture that considers grains an indispensible and nutritious part of one's diet,) not just those with specialized knowledge. But I may be wrong, of course.

I did not learn this in grade school, and not much of anything else. Also, both my parents worked and spent very.little.time with me as I was growing up. Remember, we are born not knowing any common knowledge, it must be taught and learned. If no one takes the time to teach "common knowledge", it won't be known.

:iagree::iagree: When I read the OP's first post my first thought was that she was just really ignorant not necessarily stupid. I mean, she's an attorney. She had to be smart enough to pass the bar exam. I feel sorry for her. I wonder what her childhood must have been like.

It just stuns me that someone who has managed to make it as far as she has in this world can get through it without knowing some basic stuff.

It happens.

My son and I have a rare liver disease and as a result cannot eat protein in large amounts. When my son was first dx'ed, his daily diet was severely restricted to 15 grams of protein a day. It was difficult to manage as a parent. I cooked from medical food flours (no gluten, for example), rice based foods, fruits, and vegetables. Then supplemented with a nasty tasting medical food (amino acid supplement) shake for the calories my son did not get in a regular meal.

When we did go out or to someone's house for a meal, it was like walking a minefield. To make things easier, I brought my son's meal pre-made. It was easier that way. But I would always get the host to ask about the special diet. Many were kind and sincere.

But truthfully? They did not get it. Eyes would glaze over when I explained the Krebs Cycle and how the OTC deficiency in our livers did not process food and the byproduct of the food (ammonia) builds up to toxic levels in the body -- especially the brain. Some would catch on to what I was sharing and then bring a box out of the pantry and ask, "What about this?" And I would then cue them on reading the # of grams of protein per serving. But they still had no clue.

Even very intelligent people would be stymied by our diet restrictions. I had one gal who was a brainiac be confused over soy. She insisted we could eat it. I patiently reminded her that soy is very HIGH in protein and it would be dangerous to eat it. :lol:

Only once did I run across an intelligent person whom was familiar with our situation. He was a retired general surgeon in his late 70's. We were talking while at a friend's home and the subject of food came up. He watched my son take his meds in the kitchen with his meal. When I began to explain the dietary restrictions (like an old tape recorder), he heard the medical diagnosis and cut me off. He quipped, "So, you eat somewhat like a vegan, right?" I was impressed. ;) We had a great discussion and I ended up sharing a lot of our health history with him. I think he got intrigued and probably enjoyed working his brain out with us for that afternoon. LOL :D

Suffice it to say, OP... there are a lot of intelligent people out there. But it does not mean they are experts in all things. Like repairing a car. A flat tire. A broken DVD player. Busted water pipe. Or know anything about nutrition. :lol:

Edited by tex-mex

I don't think the OP was expecting the woman to know the ins and outs of a GF diet. SHe just expected her to know that flour was made from wheat. I would expect even a person who ate only cheetos and cola to know that as well. Specific medical diets or dietary restrictions are a whole different ball game. Even comparing us on the board knowing about curricula but not law is not a comparison because she is not talking about being specialized in 1 area. She is talking about knowing that flour is made from wheat. period.

I can almost understand never having heard the term picture book before. But not knowing flour is from wheat is pretty out there.

I don't think the OP was expecting the woman to know the ins and outs of a GF diet. SHe just expected her to know that flour was made from wheat. I would expect even a person who ate only cheetos and cola to know that as well. Specific medical diets or dietary restrictions are a whole different ball game. Even comparing us on the board knowing about curricula but not law is not a comparison because she is not talking about being specialized in 1 area. She is talking about knowing that flour is made from wheat. period.

Exactly. Knowing that flour is made from wheat is the nutritional equivalent of knowing that 2 + 2 = 4. If someone didn't know that basic math fact, I think that most people would be pretty surprised.

My son has been gluten free for 9 years and I've had many people have that misunderstanding. When I say wheat, they think the whole grain, heavy type of wheat bread.

Heck, we went to a very nice restaurant in NYC a few years ago and I explained my son's dietary restrictions to the chef. He waved my explanations away, telling me that he was a professional and, of course, he knew all about gluten. Then, he came out a few minutes later and asked if we wanted my son's gluten free hamburger with or without the bun. I nearly freaked because ds also has other allergies to nuts, fish and shellfish and I no longer felt I could trust the guy.

Lisa

Give her a break. She was probably thrown off by trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat.

No, I've known her for 15 years now. The picture book thing and the not knowing that bread is made from wheat flour are not the first "gaps" in knowledge that she has expressed. These two were probably just the most shocking ones to me. Maybe she doesn't go to the library at all, because all libraries around here have a picture book section. That's what they're called. She has two daughters who are in elementary school. You would think somewhere along the line- daycare center, preschool, school- she would have heard the term "picture book" before.

And maybe no one ever read her the story of the Little Red Hen when she was a kid, but I don't think I have ever met another adult who does not know that white bread is still made out of wheat flour. That is why I was asking a serious question here. Am I mistaken in my belief that most grown adults in the United States know that bread is primarily made from wheat flour?

Of course, she is not really stupid, and of course I would be ashamed if she read this post. I need to learn how to react differently when people say things that astonish me.

I'm not suprised really and I think it's kind of sad. It proves how far removed our society is from the production of food. I read a survey once -of second graders - some didn't even know milk came from a cow :confused:

My 5yo knows bread is made from wheat as well as cookies, cakes, pasta etc. She had to have a crash course after being put on a gluten free diet so maybe that doesn't count - but honestly if she could learn it in a couple weeks - how come an adult has never come across this in her many years of life? :confused:

Lets hope your friend was having a brain freeze and when she got home she smacked herself on the forehead and thought "Duh, how could I be so stupid for saying that" :lol:

This. People don't think about where food comes from. People think it comes from a store. With no thought on how it got there to begin with. Sure some realize, somewhere in the back of their brain, that it comes from farmers and overly large gardens :D but for the most part people just go tot he store and buy food with nary another thought.

However that is the way "they" want it. But that is a thread for the GLP forum :D.

Am I mistaken in my belief that most grown adults in the United States know that bread is primarily made from wheat flour?

Honestly it would not surprise me to learn that 50% or more did not know.

Bread, for most people, comes home from the grocery in a plastic bag. How it got into the bag, is unknown and not cared about.

The stats are probably the same for cake too. It either comes from the bakery in the market or it comes out of a box. What is in that box is an unknown.

Pasta also. How pasta gets into its box is an unknown for many.

Skills such as baking, cooking, sewing, etc., that are such basic skills to our grandmothers and great-grans are no longer basic skills. I've met many people who are just fascinated that I bake my own break on occasion.

Think about what cooking from scratch has come to mean. One opens several boxes and cans. People who do anything else are seen as "those nice but strange health freaks." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that your lawyer friend has a lawyer board she logged onto so she could complain about how weird you are.

Don't even bother to bring up the subject of food. People's eyes glaze over. Or they quickly pass the bean dip because they don't care to know what it is they are putting into their bodies and the bodies of their children. To them it is just food. The government wouldn't allow it to be sold if it wasn't good for you.

"He who controls the food supply, controls the population." We are just about there, aren't we?

Edited by Parrothead

This isn't about knowing what gluten is. That is very understandable. But to not know that wheat is the main ingredient in bread?

Of course, many people don't know the intricacies of a gluten free diet. But it is standard kindergarten/first grade content to learn that wheat is ground into flour for all sorts of bread products. That is the same time period when children learn that cows give milk and that chickens give eggs. We all have gaps but I wouldn't expect someone to have that basic a gap. (We also all have "brain farts" and I could see someone having one of those on a basic thing but then slapping their head with a "duh" when they realized that they had had one.)

Fine. I get that. I posted last night when I was tired and PMS-y, however, I still don't understand the fun in posting 8 pages of "yes, that woman is stupid and ignorant."

No, I've known her for 15 years now. The picture book thing and the not knowing that bread is made from wheat flour are not the first "gaps" in knowledge that she has expressed. These two were probably just the most shocking ones to me. Maybe she doesn't go to the library at all, because all libraries around here have a picture book section. That's what they're called. She has two daughters who are in elementary school. You would think somewhere along the line- daycare center, preschool, school- she would have heard the term "picture book" before.

And maybe no one ever read her the story of the Little Red Hen when she was a kid, but I don't think I have ever met another adult who does not know that white bread is still made out of wheat flour. That is why I was asking a serious question here. Am I mistaken in my belief that most grown adults in the United States know that bread is primarily made from wheat flour?

Of course, she is not really stupid, and of course I would be ashamed if she read this post. I need to learn how to react differently when people say things that astonish me.

I think this is what struck me. Do you consider her a friend?

The valedictorian of my high school class had astonishingly little common sense. It happens.

I believe it. I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me the exact same thing. Then there are the people who tell me that dh, who is allergic to dairy, can have ice cream because "it's not milk" and they're not talking about non-dairy ice creams either. Or those who tell me that my dh can't have eggs because "that's dairy". No, it's just kept on the dairy aisle at the grocery store but doesn't come from a cow!

We get the same thing with our son. I can see how people would not know how many things contain dairy products, but people don't know that ice cream, cheese, butter and yogurt are made from milk. It can be very troubling.

I understand what you are saying. Even if she truly didn't know this, gaps in knowledge do not equal stupidity nor scary (what other posters were asserting).

Edited by magnificent_baby

And you said she's a nice person....it really seems mean to post this so other people can call her 'stupid'. I wonder how she would feel if she read this thread...

anyways, I'm sure I have some pretty weird gaps in my knowledge too. It sounds like you took the time to explain to her about wheat etc and that was nice. It sounds like she's not afraid to ask you 'stupid' questions....I always appreciate the people who answer my silly questions (like my kids music teachers)

Fine. I get that. I posted last night when I was tired and PMS-y, however, I still don't understand the fun in posting 8 pages of "yes, that woman is stupid and ignorant."

I think this is what struck me. Do you consider her a friend?

The valedictorian of my high school class had astonishingly little common sense. It happens.

She's not a close friend. I mostly see her once a year when she takes us out to dinner as a thank you to dh who does some work for her throughout the year. I truly didn't intend for this to be a "let's make fun of the dumb lady" post. I really wanted to know if the fact that bread comes from wheat flour is common knowledge and if I'm wrong in feeling shocked that a well-educated woman in her 40's does not know this.

I was thinking about this last night when I was watching "worst cooks in America" and was utterly dumbfounded when I realized how little these people knew about food! Not only did they not know where most of the food comes from they had zero knowledge of basic cooking skills. Not one of them could follow a basic recipe and come out with something edible!

She's not a close friend. I mostly see her once a year when she takes us out to dinner as a thank you to dh who does some work for her throughout the year. I truly didn't intend for this to be a "let's make fun of the dumb lady" post. I really wanted to know if the fact that bread comes from wheat flour is common knowledge and if I'm wrong in feeling shocked that a well-educated woman in her 40's does not know this.

You were reacting with surprise and shock. I have felt that same shock in the examples I gave. Others are the ones who have reacted more with ridicule. I think it is surprising and shocking when people don't know such basic things. I feel the same when people don't know the basic type of questions that someone like Jay Leno asks - and this is much, much more basic!

I totally understand the shock. I have those moments all too frequently, and I'll confess that my first impluse is to log on here and share my incredulity.

Here's mine for the week (or one of them, anyway): My daughter is currently rehearsing a production of Bus Stop, which includes a couple of the characters trying to get through the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene.

Neither the actors NOR THE DIRECTOR knew how to pronounce Romeo's last name correctly. Nor did they have the foggiest clue what the lines they were reading actually meant. My daughter said the direction the actor doing Juliet's lines received was flat out wrong. (Example, she was told that "Ay me" was Juliet asking Romeo if he is talking about her, but the reality is that she is still talking to herself at that point and doesn't even know Romeo is there.)

Keep in mind, please, that some of these folks, including the director who gave such awful direction, are professionals in their field. At least two of them actually earn a living in theatre. Yet they didn't know the most basic of information about what is probably the best known Shakespearean play in the canon.

Honestly, I couldn't even find that one funny.

I think most of us, when we share these anecdotes, are really looking for confirmation that we're not alone. We really, really need to touch base with others we have reason to believe will get it to assure ourselves that what we have just encountered isn't the current norm.

It's not about "making fun of the stupid person," but about wanting to believe that one person isn't representative of the population.

Am I being snotty in my opinion that this lady needs to shut down her texting and start reading a book or something? Really. She's an attorney, for crying out loud. I wouldn't want her to represent me if she's that clueless about general knowledge. Am I out of line in thinking that an adult should know what bread is made from?

She sounds like one of those people who is able to study like crazy to learn exactly what she needs to learn to pass a class or to pass a test, but who has little real innate intelligence or curiosity. I think there are people in all walks of life who would fit that description.

In other words, if she's talking about work, she might talk a very good game and she might really know her stuff, but in order to have a conversation with her, you need to stay within her limited scope of knowledge and interests. (BORING!!!) And she has no curiosity about learning for the sake of learning something new, so she doesn't bother to pay attention to anything that won't immediately and directly benefit her, right now, today.

I still can't get over the picture book thing. Ummm... hello??? The description is right there in the name. Picture. Book. Work with me on this, woman! :D And not knowing that bread was made from wheat? Please. That's kindergarten-level knowledge. And hasn't she ever read an ingredient label? I know some people are trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but can you honestly say that if someone asked you what bread was made of, you wouldn't have known? :confused:

Edited by Catwoman

Yes, most adults (but not all) know that bread is made from wheat. I have encountered one adult who did not know. I also had a foodie relative tell my kids a person couldn't survive without gluten. :confused: It was an interesting comment to make to an anxious child whose doctor had just put them on a GF diet. :glare:

OTOH, I have many "gaps" in my knowledge and interests. I hope people don't judge me for those shortcomings. :001_huh:

OTOH, I have many "gaps" in my knowledge and interests. I hope people don't judge me for those shortcomings. :001_huh:

Everyone has gaps.

I think the OP was just surprised that this particular woman seemed to be clueless about topics that would seem to be "common knowledge," that even most little kids would probably know, like the main ingredient in bread, or what a picture book is -- and as a parent of little ones, hasn't she ever been in the library or in a Barnes & Noble... in the sections with the signs that say "picture books"? :rolleyes:

What kind of an attorney is she? how can someone with so much education be so stupid?

Because during law school and after, you become less human! The educational focus is on deep legal matters (that usually still don't matter) and little on anything practical. DH is halfway done with law school. Some days he justs wants to partake in human activities. :D

The "picture books" I could almost understand, since when I was a kid, that meant a book full of personal photos (as in, my neighbor's photos of her trip to Yellowstone etc.).

The bread thing is odd. I mean, I know people are used to referring to brown bread as "wheat bread" as if white bread were not also "wheat bread." But yeah, it is a bit surprising that the main ingredient in a most popular food has escaped her all these years. Perhaps I take for granted what I learned in literature such as the Little House books or the Little Red Hen. It's not like I ever made bread from wheat or studied that specific topic in school (that I remember).

Like others have said, perhaps I'm equally clueless on some other well-known topic. For example, I am hopeless when it comes to the names of colors beyond the basics. My kid started demanding "fuscia" socks when she was 4 and I thought she must be a genius or something, LOL. I'm similarly hopeless when it comes to flowers and probably a million other things.

You don't actually have to be smart or logical to go to law school. Sometimes $Q is at least as useful as IQ.

I totally understand the shock. I have those moments all too frequently, and I'll confess that my first impluse is to log on here and share my incredulity.

I think most of us, when we share these anecdotes, are really looking for confirmation that we're not alone. We really, really need to touch base with others we have reason to believe will get it to assure ourselves that what we have just encountered isn't the current norm.

It's not about "making fun of the stupid person," but about wanting to believe that one person isn't representative of the population.

:iagree: I don't think the original point was to make fun of the woman. It makes me wonder. At some point, don't you think about the bread you are eating? Maybe she is pondering weightier issues? :confused: Going by the people who have said the same thing to me, often it is people without an ounce of interest in the world around them. THAT is the sad and surprising thing.

I think the OP showed grace in her response but I also share the OP's surprise. We aren't talking teff flour or sorghum flour. It's something that probably makes up half her diet.

I still remember this conversation I had with Zee when he was four or so:

Zee: Mommy, isn't it funny how the chicken you eat and chicken the animal are called the same thing?

Me: Um, that's because they *are* the same thing, son. The chicken you eat comes from chicken the animal.

Zee: What do you mean?

Me: Well, they kill the chicken, take off it's muscles, and that's the chicken meat we eat.

Zee: :001_huh: Oh. {munch munch munch} Chickens sure do taste good. :D