Menu

Christians only please!

See below:  

1. 1. See below:

• yes
    • no
    • other (please explain)

Now, you said do I believe it's generally accepted. I do not believe that most Christians accept this. But I believe it is true.

Did you mean to word it that way?

Hmm. Interesting point! I have always heard this and thought it was solid Christian doctrine, even before I ever went to a Presbyterian church or ever looked at the Westminster Shorter Catechism. In 15 years of being a Christian, I have never heard anyone say something that called that belief into question.

In 2 days, I had 2 people recommend a certain book to me. I am only 1/2 way through, but the whole book, written by a pastor, seems to be saying we were created for a different reason. So, my question stands for when I talk to the people who recommended it to me. Now, I am wondering if it is solely a Presbyterian belief.

If you voted no, what do you believe??? :bigear:

I agree and so voted yes.

However if that is generally accepted in the wide arena of Christianity I'm not sure. I think a great many Christians don't consider God past his ability to help them solve their problems.

(Not those catechized with the Westminster Shorter. ;) And in my background that would be a vast, vast many. That is not to say that Christians can't or don't come to such a conclusion in ways other than the catechism. I believe they can and do. The catechism is based on Scripture. It's not just invented out of thin air. Rambling here.)

I voted other. I agree with the general sentiment that we were created to be in fellowship with God, but not that our point in life is to glorify God - that wording is too Calvinist for me, too "humanity only exists to serve God's needs". Sometimes the Calvinist emphasis on God's sovereignty gets a little too "narcissistic God" for my taste :tongue_smilie: (besides, I don't agree that God's sovereignty is the foundational doctrine of Christianity in the first place).

ETA: I would say that it is not clear in the Bible *why* God chose to create people, only that he wanted too. Speculation as to why is just that, speculation. The Bible does make it clear that He loves us, though, and I see the foundational doctrine of Christianity as the expression of that love in reconciling us to Him through Christ's death on the cross.

Edited by forty-two

Do you consider it a generally accepted Christian belief that "man" was made to glorify God and enjoy him forever?

Thank you!

Definitely WCF there.

We are made to know, love and serve God with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds, and all our might.

CCC 201

Yes and yes, but so much more than just these. (voted other)

:iagree: I think of that statement as from the Westminster Confession catechism.

This what I would have thought of too.

We are made to know, love and serve God with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds, and all our might.

I think I agree here with Chucki. :001_smile:

Westminster Confession of Faith (though some Reformed Baptists will use the same thing as the WCF was a basis for the LBC, London Baptist Confession). What you stated is the first catechism question, I believe. Why was man created? To Glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Oh, okay. I have never heard it called that. I have always heard it called the Westminster Shorter Catechism. Yes, that is what I was thinking of when I wrote the question. As I said though, I have always heard something similar as to why we were created, my whole Christian walk, by every denomination I have been in, which is more than I care to admit. :tongue_smilie:

Growing up, I attended a church that had very little Bible teaching (some of the stories) and absolutely no doctrine. As an adult, I have studied the Bible more, but still not much theology. So I voted "no", since in my experience, it isn't being taught so it can't be known and accepted or rejected.

I, too, want to know what book you are reading that teaches we are created for a different reason.

No. I do not believe the majority of Christians believe that.

By "Christian" I am speaking about all traditions.

I didn't vote because I couldn't decide what the question meant. I used to believe this but now I believe that man is created as the fruit of the love of the Holy Trinity, and that the point of my existence (and of every human's) is union with God. Communion, not fellowship. It's complete unconditional love.

This best describes what I believe. :001_smile:

I voted other. I agree with the general sentiment that we were created to be in fellowship with God, but not that our point in life is to glorify God - that wording is too Calvinist for me, too "humanity only exists to serve God's needs". Sometimes the Calvinist emphasis on God's sovereignty gets a little too "narcissistic God" for my taste :tongue_smilie: (besides, I don't agree that God's sovereignty is the foundational doctrine of Christianity in the first place).

ETA: I would say that it is not clear in the Bible *why* God chose to create people, only that he wanted too. Speculation as to why is just that, speculation. The Bible does make it clear that He loves us, though, and I see the foundational doctrine of Christianity as the expression of that love in reconciling us to Him through Christ's death on the cross.

... I believe that man is created as the fruit of the love of the Holy Trinity, and that the point of my existence (and of every human's) is union with God. Communion, not fellowship. It's complete unconditional love.

Agree with both of these. My church does not teach this and I don't believe it.

I really appreciate all the replies! :001_smile: It is always good to re-evaluate that which you just assume.

I don't want to post the name of the book because SWB has had enough problems with authors being upset about what is said about their books here. I will tell you if you PM me though. Since posting, I looked into the book and although it gets 4.5 stars on Amazon, pastors are tearing it apart on their blogs as being doctrinally dangerous. Basically it said Eve was made because God wanted to be loved. I can't even put into words why Adam was made; it was convoluted. The biggest issue is that this pastor seemed to be grappling with why we were made. I found that really odd, because I thought that was one of the few things in Christianity that is not debated. I guess the thought that anything isn't debated is silly! :lol:

Basically it said Eve was made because God wanted to be loved. I can't even put into words why Adam was made; it was convoluted. The biggest issue is that this pastor seemed to be grappling with why we were made. I found that really odd, because I thought that was one of the few things in Christianity that is not debated. I guess the thought that anything isn't debated is silly! :lol:

OK - I agree with the Westminster Confession. But this? No. God wants our love but does not need it.

Basically it said Eve was made because God wanted to be loved.

I think Scripture is pretty clear in what it tells us about why God created Eve. Gen 3:18: Then the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.â€

I know you knew that, but my goodness, why would someone come up with the conjecture that you mentioned?

He said as he was sitting in counseling sessions with women and kept wondering what God was trying to say through Eve. He eventually comes to the conclusion that He wants to be loved.

*insert eyeroll* Sounds the person should not be sitting in on counseling sessions if this is what he jumps to.

I believe it is true, but I don't believe it is generally accepted. I think the phrase - "I was created for God to make me happy and fulfilled" - is more on par with reality, although not likely vocalized.

An interesting blog post on the topic of the "narccisistic God":

http://spurgeon.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/god-magnifying-god-a-contemporary-debate/