Menu

Stone Fox...the book. HOW SAD! :(

I gave my 8 year old an "easy book" to read for DITHR this time. He flew through it and we were enjoying the story of Little Willy gearing up for the race with his beloved dog Searchlight...and then ds read the end. I gasped (totally didn't see that coming) and ds started BAWLING! He cried for most of the day after that...any time he thought of the book. There should be a warning on that book!

I gave my 8 year old an "easy book" to read for DITHR this time. He flew through it and we were enjoying the story of Little Willy gearing up for the race with his beloved dog Searchlight...and then ds read the end. I gasped (totally didn't see that coming) and ds started BAWLING! He cried for most of the day after that...any time he thought of the book. There should be a warning on that book!

My ds cried at the end, too. It's the first book that has broken his heart.

I pre-read the book as I sat in our van waiting for the family to run some errands. I sat in the parking lot and tears came to my eyes at the end. Then with that knowledge of the story, I did it as a read-aloud with the kids. It was even worse—tears for me the second time, while trying to read it out loud without choking up. :tongue_smilie:

Good book, though.

Erica in OR

My mom tells a story of coming home from school bawling because "Charlotte died" and couldn't get out any other word to explain. Her mom called the teacher worried that a fellow student had passed away only to find out that they'd been reading Charlotte's Web in class. :001_smile:

I do think kids should be old enough to talk through sad endings before they're subjected to them, though I think that's really dependent on the kid.

Thankfully, that was one of the books that I decided to pre-read when we did SL 3. I was upset by the ending, and I promptly hid the book where the kids wouldn't find it. I think it's so much easier to handle a death in the middle of the book than one that just throws it at you on the last page. You don't get any resolution at all.

I haven't read Stone Fox but I just asked DS11 about it as it is one of his favorites. He just told me it wasn't sad at all :001_huh: but someone gets stabbed with a knife :confused: Maybe my child should be in counseling or something... I just sent him to get it so I could read it!

ETA: I just read the last chapter and was like omg this isn't sad DS!?!? He says well I guess the dog dies but the ending is very nice with the very nice Indian man.

Edited by ds4159

I haven't read that one.

The whole Anne of Green Gables series, however, has something tragic in EVERY, SINGLE Book. Very appropriate for the times - very well handled - but it became a running joke with my boys (we read the whole series one year) that I would cry during every book. (I mean, deaths, miscarriages, abusive relationships!?!) Finally, at the end I think I did manage to get through one without crying - but only because I completely steeled my heart.

Sheesh!

My girls can handle some sad books, but Stone Fox was a bad experience here. Oldest dd was fairly hysterical and seemed traumatized. She brought it up for years. Youngest dd was devastated. She was so, so sad to have read the book. :sad: There are only a couple of books I regret letting my kids read, and that is one of them.

Often my girls will label books as "good sad". For whatever reason, Stone Fox wasn't.

Bridge to Terebithia is like that, too. Forewarned is forearmed.

No kidding! I sobbed like a baby the first time I read that book. It remains my favorite childhood read hands down. I still have the copy that I owned back then on my bookshelf now. When the movie came out, I was seven months pregnant with my 2nd and extremely hormonal. My DH took my oldest out for awhile to give me a breather and I watched it. Holy cow. I cried like someone had gone and shot my mother. I was sobbing through a box of kleenex when he walked in the door and looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

We haven't read Stone Fox yet, but it sits on our shelf for next year. :)

No kidding! I sobbed like a baby the first time I read that book. It remains my favorite childhood read hands down. I still have the copy that I owned back then on my bookshelf now. When the movie came out, I was seven months pregnant with my 2nd and extremely hormonal. My DH took my oldest out for awhile to give me a breather and I watched it. Holy cow. I cried like someone had gone and shot my mother. I was sobbing through a box of kleenex when he walked in the door and looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

We haven't read Stone Fox yet, but it sits on our shelf for next year. :)

Well, it IS very well written.

I read it for the first time as an adult, when dd had formed a very similar friendship with another boy her age. When I got to the death, it was SUCH a shock--no idea it was coming--I couldn't stand to think of the way that she would identify with the friendship and then be so devastated by the book. I told her that she could read it to herself but that I was not going to be reading that one to her because it had some sad parts that I thought might be a problem (understatement of the year there). She didn't read it for years, not until the movie came out and she was old enough to kind of throw it off.

My favorite books for children in the upper elementary years are "The Diamond in the Window", "In Place of Katia", and "Number the Stars". "Bridge" could have been on the list, but I don't see any reason to wallow like that. It was unnecessary to the story, and very harrowing.

Hated, hated, hated the ending. :glare: It was a good book up until the end, and I think it would have been much better without the tragedy at the very end. It seemed gratuitous to me, like it was done solely as a dramatic twist, rather than as the best way to end the story.

I didn't have ds read it.

I agree with you all...this one was so tragic because we were just blindsided by the end. I saw the picture, but I thought maybe the dog collapsed or broke a leg...I would have NEVER thought that his very best friend would be dead! And the wording...something like... "100 yards from the finish line, her heart burst. It was instant. She felt no pain."

I actually gasped and ds just immediately started sobbing. He even asked me not to post it on paper back swap because "no one needs to be that sad, mom!" :( My ds 12, who was listening from the other room, came in laughing at both of us for crying. He has empathy issues and did not hear the whole book!

• 8 years later...
On 2/15/2012 at 5:54 PM, JennifersLost said:

I haven't read that one.

The whole Anne of Green Gables series, however, has something tragic in EVERY, SINGLE Book. Very appropriate for the times - very well handled - but it became a running joke with my boys (we read the whole series one year) that I would cry during every book. (I mean, deaths, miscarriages, abusive relationships!?!) Finally, at the end I think I did manage to get through one without crying - but only because I completely steeled my heart.

Sheesh!

I will never stop crying for Matthew or Joyce or Walter.... NEVER.  

And this thread is 8 years old.

Edited by theelfqueen