Menu

Why *not* drive 55mph?

Lately, I've been reading a lot about how driving 55mph, vs. 65mph or higher can improve vehicle mpg. Also, statistically, it is a safer speed than 65 or higher. And, there really isn't a huge difference in the time it takes to get somewhere at that speed.

It seems, though, whenever that's up to the voters around here, there is a huge public outcry against it, especially from conservatives (of which I am one).

So, I'm asking, if you would be against a 55mph. speed limit for yourself, why? I'm not looking for an argument. I'm really trying to understand why.

I'll admit, I drive the speed limit, and on the freeway, I drive 55 even in the 65zone. It is legal and the same speed limit for trucks. I save money and gas and am cautious not to impede traffic or anything like that.

if you drive 55 you will get run over. :D

I am always driving at least 45 or more miles from home. If I slow down I would add a lot of time to my drive. I like to shorten my drive as much as I can.

Even driving 70, you might get run over. I40 is a booger! Just ask Kelli! Her "favorite" road ever.;)

Lately, I've been reading a lot about how driving 55mph, vs. 65mph or higher can improve vehicle mpg. Also, statistically, it is a safer speed than 65 or higher. And, there really isn't a huge difference in the time it takes to get somewhere at that speed.

It seems, though, whenever that's up to the voters around here, there is a huge public outcry against it, especially from conservatives (of which I am one).

So, I'm asking, if you would be against a 55mph. speed limit for yourself, why? I'm not looking for an argument. I'm really trying to understand why.

I'll admit, I drive the speed limit, and on the freeway, I drive 55 even in the 65zone. It is legal and the same speed limit for trucks. I save money and gas and am cautious not to impede traffic or anything like that.

I totally agree.:iagree::iagree: I think 55 saves gas and lives. We used to have signs, 55 stay alive. Someone needs to find them and add gas.

Jet

Let's take your arguments to the extreme: 10 mph would be even safer. Should we reduce the speed limit to 10 mph? If you were only going one or two miles to the store, it wouldn't take that much longer.

I'm against changing the speed limit to 55 because people won't really follow that law- seems like people drive 70-75 mph no matter what the speed limit is. That's just reasonable speed for a highway.

Also, I would really hate to drive accross Nebraska going 55! The speed limit should be 90 on I-80 across that state.

Ummm...because I am big Sammy Haggar fan? :D

Seriously, I don't know...75 seems to be the average on the freeway where I live and I guess I would have to see statistics that said you will survive a crash going 55 MPH but NOT if you are going 65 or 75 miles per hour. Seems to me, either way, you're toast. I don't know that it is about speed more than about crappy drivers.

It doesn't make much of a difference if you are travelling 10 miles. It makes a lot of difference when you travel hundreds of miles. I live not too far from I95. It was built decades ago and in many places it is still two lanes. Slowing down increases congestions on an already overcongested highway. My time is worth the extra cost in gas.

Pretty much every five mph over 60 is like paying .20 more per gallon. As you go faster the first thing to kick in is overcoming air resistance. Just stick your hand out the window. (That's why it's a good idea to keep your car washed and waxed. It helps.) That's the major reason for the 55 mph speed limit. Trucks see the most savings. Depending upon the car you might not see much difference between 55 and 65. It might be 70 that is the real trigger point. But right around there will be the dropoff where your mileage starts to really plummet. Unless you have a Corvette... then maybe 80. Still, the reason is the air resistance.

Having ridden through the dessert during the 55 mph years... no. Some highways really should be much higher than 55 limits.

Isn't it Germany -- a European country with much higher gasoline prices --that has the audobon? Speed on highways is common, despite the "savings."

There is only *so much* the federal gov't should regulate. Personally, I get tired of all of the "nannying."

Also, cars have become much more safety conscious in the last 20+ years (the 55mph is from the 70's Carter-era regs), so it's very possible that much of the deaths that were due primarilly to speeds over 55 have been somewhat mitigated by better crash zones, air-bags, roll-cages, and other things. Sure, going 55 may still be "safer" but not the "same" safer as in 1974 IYKWIM?

I drive a mini-van. I will admit that on the interstate I usually drive 75. That adds up to a difference of an extra 20 miles in one hour. Most of my interstate driving is accumulated on about a 300 mile trip or longer. (It is about 20 minutes on a back road to the interstate, so I typically only drive interstate on long trips.) My typical 300 mile trip driving at 55 mph would take 5 1/2 hours. The same trip at 75 takes 4 hours. My gas milage on the interstate at 72 is around 24-25 mpg; at 55 it is about 25-26/27 if the wind is behind me. That hour and a half I save in time is more than worth the tiny amount I save in gas. I've read the statistics on how much gas I should be saving driving at 55. The cold hard truth is that I have done it, compared, and it doesn't make enough of a difference to make an impact. Sorry Phred, my mini-van must have had a corvette designer.

I have heard it said (though I'm not certain who said it) that the one thing all Americans have in common is the belief that we are all above-average drivers. So what good would it do to make a new law when 1) It's nearly impossible to enforce, and 2) We all believe we are somehow "above" that law, and don't need to slow down?

IMO, we don't need more government interference! We need fundamental changes in our society. Our lives need to slow down in general! How much road rage and poor driving is caused by obsessing about the ten or twenty minutes you could save if you just go ten or even twenty miles over the speed limit? Wouldn't it be great if we weren't so over-committed and time-starved that we could just enjoy a car ride with our family or friends or even (gasp!) alone? Now you're going to ask if I somehow have a magical wand to wave and fix our hectic, rush-oriented world. Nope! I don't!

But I can make a change of one person. I have been setting my cruise control at 60 (in a 65 zone.) And yes, some people pass me, but I don't feel that I am somehow disrupting traffic by not exceeding the posted speed limit! (Every one else is doing it is never a good reason to do anything!) At this speed, the nearest city is about an hour away. (We have grocery stores and the ubiquitous Walmart, but not much else here. You have to leave town to get to civilization, so to speak.) But you know what? I don't mind the extra few minutes on the road. And I'm a lot less angry with other drivers, now that I am more relaxed and in less of a "hurry up and get there" mood. And I'd like to think that that calmness will rub off on dd. Gosh! This was a lot longer than I intended! Sorry!

Just my 2 cents!

-Robin

Yep, I look around me at the people who won't even slow down to 65, & I figure gas prices aren't actually high enough yet. I mean, at least keeping it down to the speed limit seems like an obvious first step in conservation, but I guess that's just me.

Dh recently suggested going 5mph under, but quickly realized that since most people here drive *at least* 70-80mph, we'd get creamed at 55. Speed limit here's 60, btw.

Why *not* drive 55mph?

cuz... in addition to a few good thoughts already posted.....

i don't wanna. :001_tt2:

oh --and how many accidents happen at lower speeds vs high speeds?

should we consider just deaths or lifelong injuries in those statistics?

how many deaths at high speeds are in combination w/ other factors --drinking, drugs, etc?

I drive 55 on my errands around our smaller town and into the city on the interstate. On my last two drives from here to St. Louis on I-55 I drove 55 as well. No big traffic jams behind me, fortunately.

If I were on a tight schedule I'd go faster, but saving money is becoming a very big issue for me. I also like the green aspect. I figure if someone gets mad at me for having to pass me on the interstate, he'll have to pay my gas bill before I'll take him seriously. [shrug] All those speedy drivers must be a lot richer than me.

I drive 55 on my errands around our smaller town and into the city on the interstate. On my last two drives from here to St. Louis on I-55 I drove 55 as well. No big traffic jams behind me, fortunately.

If I were on a tight schedule I'd go faster, but saving money is becoming a very big issue for me. I also like the green aspect. I figure if someone gets mad at me for having to pass me on the interstate, he'll have to pay my gas bill before I'll take him seriously. [shrug] All those speedy drivers must be a lot richer than me.

:iagree:

Jet

Let me ask this. When you're driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit in traffic and you end up having to pass someone, do you keep yourself at the same speed, especially if you have your cruise control set, as you were going, or do you speed up some to get past then slow down again?

I think if people are in the right lane going slower it's not such a big deal. But when they get in the left lane, they should speed up to pass, out of respect for others, then pull back over. It DOES get annoying if you're trying to get somewhere and someone going 10 miles under the speed limit takes 10 or 15 minutes in the "fast lane" to pass somone else! That's my beef on going under the speed limit!

Just had an additional thought: before you automatically "switch" to going 55 to save money, check your local laws. You *can* get ticketed for going "too slow" on a highway (at least in some places). For example, doing 55 in a 75 *could* be considered a hazzard!

In most places I've lived the *minimum* speed was about 10 mph below the posted limit. Here in No.VA, you don't typically get pulled over on I-95 unless you're going 10+ over the posted speed (and 80+mph is an automatic reckless).

Because I think that I am too cool.;)

Seriously, when I get on 95 heading south to my parents in FL, driving 10 miles over the speed limit saves me a lot of time. If it says 60, I'm doing 70. If it says 70, I'm doing 75.

Fifty-five seems so slow and unproductive. Plus, I hate, hate, hate, loathe, long drives!! If I could fly everywhere I would. But alas, my husband is handsome and not rich, so we drive.:001_smile:

Let's take your arguments to the extreme: 10 mph would be even safer. Should we reduce the speed limit to 10 mph? If you were only going one or two miles to the store, it wouldn't take that much longer.

I'm against changing the speed limit to 55 because people won't really follow that law- seems like people drive 70-75 mph no matter what the speed limit is. That's just reasonable speed for a highway.

Also, I would really hate to drive accross Nebraska going 55! The speed limit should be 90 on I-80 across that state.

I feel the same way about crossing Kansas. (Sorry Kansas folks)!

I much prefer Kansas to Nebraska. Nothing against folks from Kansas- the Interstates pretty much goes through the least attractive part. I haven't strayed from the interstate in Nebraska, so I don't know about that.

I feel the same way about crossing Kansas. (Sorry Kansas folks)!

Yep, I look around me at the people who won't even slow down to 65, & I figure gas prices aren't actually high enough yet. I mean, at least keeping it down to the speed limit seems like an obvious first step in conservation, but I guess that's just me.

Dh recently suggested going 5mph under, but quickly realized that since most people here drive *at least* 70-80mph, we'd get creamed at 55. Speed limit here's 60, btw.

I have fond memories of driving across Texas (twice). Out on I-10, dh and I would go hours w/o seeing another living being. Then all of a sudden, up behind us speeds a pink Caddy. It then flies past; the driver... a small grey haired lady (I'm guessing a Mary Kay Rep). She must have been doing 100. No joke.

Mary_Kay_Black.jpg

if the freeways were reasonably free of traffic. Of course, more often you would be sitting still, fuming, in an endless river of cars all going nowhere because the traffic is so bad.

I tend to drive maybe 5-10 mph over the speed limit on the freeways. That keeps me more or less in line with everyone else.

Michelle T

I have fond memories of driving across Texas (twice). Out on I-10, dh and I would go hours w/o seeing another living being. Then all of a sudden, up behind us speeds a pink Caddy. It then flies past; the driver... a small grey haired lady (I'm guessing a Mary Kay Rep). She must have been doing 100. No joke.

Mary_Kay_Black.jpg

That is some seriously coiffed hair! Everything really is bigger in Texas!:001_smile:

I have been driving around 60. Our speed limit is 70 in some areas and 65 in some areas. I usually just drive the speed limit posted so I do not get run over. I did see a small difference in my gas milege. Not a lot but a small one. Is it worth it? I am not sure. Is it safer? I am not sure. If everybody is going 70 miles an hour and I am going 55, I would think I am being more hazordous than the 70 miles an hour people. Not sure why I feel that way but that is the way I feel about it. They assume you are going 70 so they do not pay attention. I was going 60 a couple of weeks ago in a 70 mph interstate. The guy a way off behind me almost rear ended me while he was talking on the phone. :glare: So that is why I am not sure if it is safe or not. It does save a bit of your gas though.

:auto:

Holly

I don't think I have to tell y'all this. But I will.

I love 55!!!! I love 55 so much that I won't drive on interstates if I can possibly avoid it. If I must drive on interstates I will try to do so at times that nobody is around so I can drive 55. But mostly I take backroads. I do NOT drive on I40. Ever. I don't care if the pot of gold is at the end of I40, I am going to check mapquest for a backroad.

I'm pretty sure that y'all remembered that I have an aversion to fast driving, esp when there are trucks around, but in case you forgot, consider yourselves reminded.

I don't think I have to tell y'all this. But I will.

I love 55!!!! I love 55 so much that I won't drive on interstates if I can possibly avoid it. If I must drive on interstates I will try to do so at times that nobody is around so I can drive 55. But mostly I take backroads. I do NOT drive on I40. Ever. I don't care if the pot of gold is at the end of I40, I am going to check mapquest for a backroad.

I'm pretty sure that y'all remembered that I have an aversion to fast driving, esp when there are trucks around, but in case you forgot, consider yourselves reminded.

:iagree::iagree:

I avoid freeways like the plague. I do mostly backroads. The freeways are crazy in So Cal and get crazier by the day.

Jet

Let me ask this. When you're driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit in traffic and you end up having to pass someone, do you keep yourself at the same speed, especially if you have your cruise control set, as you were going, or do you speed up some to get past then slow down again?

I think if people are in the right lane going slower it's not such a big deal. But when they get in the left lane, they should speed up to pass, out of respect for others, then pull back over. It DOES get annoying if you're trying to get somewhere and someone going 10 miles under the speed limit takes 10 or 15 minutes in the "fast lane" to pass somone else! That's my beef on going under the speed limit!

Exactly. A whole group of people decided to prove a point by driving 55 in every lane on a particular highway during the morning commute in the SF Bay area years ago. (I have not looked this up to verify, just remember hearing about it.) From what I understand, it created a horrific traffic jam.

I can't verify this, like I said, but can you imagine? LOL.

I only go 55 in the slow lane. I speed up if I have to change lanes to pass someone. I am careful not to be a road block.

the speed limit would be a good idea. I remember the gas crisis of the 70's---then speed limits were reduced to 55 all over.

However, I think in some areas, driving 55 mph would be extremely difficult and difficult to enforce---areas like Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, etc. These are all areas that have huge stretches of highways and it would be very difficult to stick to a 55 mph speed limit there.

Exactly. A whole group of people decided to prove a point by driving 55 in every lane on a particular highway during the morning commute in the SF Bay area years ago. (I have not looked this up to verify, just remember hearing about it.) From what I understand, it created a horrific traffic jam.

I can't verify this, like I said, but can you imagine? LOL.

This was done in Atlanta, too, on the Perimeter (I-285 that makes a circle around the most urban part of Atlanta) during rush hour. I think it was a group of college students, and they took video from an overpass as well as from within the cars. Traffic was backed up, cars were using the shoulders to pass, it was incredibly dangerous!

Ummm...because I am big Sammy Haggar fan? :D

LOL - That's what I was going to say! Ever since I saw the title of the post I have "I - CAN'T - DRIVE - 55!!!!" in my head. Now I need to go see if I have that CD somewhere and listen to it when I go meet my friend later!

If you are driving on the freeway, 65 or 70 over 55 DOES make a significant difference in your travel time. It doesn't make sense to try to get up to that speed in town when you stop frequently, that is true, but when you're not stopping, just do the math. You can get 70 miles in an hour, or 55. On a long trip it's a pretty big deal.

I will go the speed limit wherever I am. I try to drive 55 when it's 55 and 70 when it's 70. I used to be a speed queen, but having kids has slowed me down somewhat. As someone who runs late often, the temptation to speed is huge, but I really, really hate dealing with police officers on traffic duty. :)

Please, no 55. I remember stretches of I-5 that were 55 near where I grew up, and ugh! I wouldn't mind a drop down from 75 to 65 so much, but much slower than that on the Interstate, is just too darn slow, imo.

As far as safety is concerned, I don't think it's the speed itself that matters, what is more important is that all vehicles go the same speed, both passenger vehicles, and semis. Oh, and people that are stupid drivers shouldn't be allowed on the Interstates in the first place! :D

People drive the same speed despite the speed limits. IMO speed limits are as much about revenue as safety. We can't stipulate everything in life--and I have a serious lead foot! (Found myself driving 110 through NM and CO. That's double your proposed speed limit. Yikes--no can do :))

I guess what I was really getting at wasn't so much govt. intervention or relative driving speed as much as why the big objection to driving a little slower to save gas and be safer?

"Oh, and people that are stupid drivers shouldn't be allowed on the Interstates in the first place! "

ITA!:iagree: