Menu

Weird Things People Do When They Come To See Your House: #4,813:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there more kitchen storage? I agree with a PP that it doesn't look like a lot of cabinet space.

This jumped out at me immediately as well. Going through the living room & dining room pictures, I thought it looked lovely. And then I hit the kitchen, which has a nice look, but I had to go back through the pictures again to check out the number of cabinets. Without other kitchen storage, it just wouldn't work for me.

I'm sure all that staging & decor stuff can make a difference, but when I'm buying a house, I'm mostly looking at functionality - decor can be changed.

And I LOVE the covered porch & backyard area. I hope you find a buyer soon.

I think you should leave a cooked Thanksgiving turkey out on the stovetop for the next showing. I want to know if anyone takes a drumstick!!

And Pie. Hell, I'll drive down for that; you're not so far. :001_smile:

I have long-range intentions of moving to VA. Do you happen to have 20 additional acres laying around? ;)

:iagree:

They were baked on a silpat so they came off easily -- but you are right -- can you imagine rummaging through someone's drawers looking for a spatula so you can eat the cookies cooling on the stove?

WHAT IF THEY WERE FRESH BAKED DOGGIE TREATS? WHICH I DO MAKE QUITE OFTEN!

Would have served them right!

Excellent suggestions that I would not have thought of myself. Thank you all for taking the time to share them and thank you for sharing your ideas so graciously. :)

The window box outside is an old photo -- the box is now painted and has greens in it. I agree the photo doesn't look great, but when it is good weather, the outside is totally professionally done -- I think that photo was taken a week before the landscaper came (in May).

Good points about the kitchen -- I didn't want wall cabinets on the one side of the kitchen b/c I wanted it to feel open. And your points are well made: while I find it to have ample storage, someone else may not.

Yes, the fridge is rather commercial looking and it did cost alot of $$$. I wanted a fridge that was truly built in and counter depth and we have had sub zero before and we loved it.

The range -- well, it's 36" wide as opposed to the typical 30" and it is THE BOMB!!!!!!! I will buy another one wherever we go -- THAT's how amazing it is.

The mirrors in the living room? Really? Our agent loves them.

And, when the house is shown the dog and the dog stuff are gone -- but our agent didn't move the stuff when she took the photos -- which I did think was odd b/c our former agent made sure there was no hint of dog in the photos -- but there is no smell -- the house is nothing if not spotless.

Again, though, thank you all for your suggestions. Someone else came late today while we were out at Church and dinner -- so we will wait for feedback. At least we are getting showings which is better than last summer.

With the house - The house is beautiful, and I don't think changing mirrors or towels or anything like that will make any difference. Seriously, a mirror in the hallway, or no mirror, will not make a person buy a house or decide not to.

Some people might want more cabinets I suppose, but I doubt that is the issue either.

My guess would be that you are right and that people want a different style. the house looks much more modest from the outside I'd say than the inside. Something about those bungalows and split entry type homes doesn't tend to attract the same price as the interior of your home suggests would be appropriate.

But, I'd be trying to get some feedback from your agent about what the buyers are saying.

But I

:iagree:

WHAT IF THEY WERE FRESH BAKED DOGGIE TREATS? WHICH I DO MAKE QUITE OFTEN!

This happened to my DH once. He came home from a football game and helped himself to the "cookies" I had made while he was gone. He actually said they were "OK" before he found out what they were. (He is very sweet to not ever complain about any of my cooking, even when it is awful, he will usually eat it without complaint.)

This happened to my DH once. He came home from a football game and helped himself to the "cookies" I had made while he was gone. He actually said they were "OK" before he found out what they were. (He is very sweet to not ever complain about any of my cooking, even when it is awful, he will usually eat it without complaint.)

omg!!!!!! THAT is funny!!!!! I can totally see my dh doing the same thing.:lol:

With the house - The house is beautiful, and I don't think changing mirrors or towels or anything like that will make any difference. Seriously, a mirror in the hallway, or no mirror, will not make a person buy a house or decide not to.

Some people might want more cabinets I suppose, but I doubt that is the issue either.

My guess would be that you are right and that people want a different style. the house looks much more modest from the outside I'd say than the inside. Something about those bungalows and split entry type homes doesn't tend to attract the same price as the interior of your home suggests would be appropriate.

But, I'd be trying to get some feedback from your agent about what the buyers are saying.

But I

I totally agree -- and I do think that is the issue -- we will need to wait for the buyer who doesn't care that the outside is rather plain and simple and imo unattractive and be totally wowed by the interior.

The house is gorgeous! I'm another that doesn't think the colors matter. The house we bought has blood red walls in the dining room and an ORANGE bathroom (kids bath) and I left them just like that. It made me *remember* the house. All the other houses looked the same beige.

I do agree with Bluegoat, about the outside-not the back, the front.

I would look up some of those 'curb appeal' shows for some easy, inexpensive ideas for the outside -stuff that you can take with you. A beautiful urn and planting for the front, really make the window boxes full and lush, a house # sign and bench...that kinda stuff.

:ohmy: Oh my! hehehehhe Poor man! :lol::lol::lol:

Your home is beautiful! I love the interior and your decorating and the backyard, too.

I know your area. (I grew up in NOVA). And, I know your pricing is probably very fair (and even a great deal compared to just 5-8 years ago, too!).

I don't know if it helps, but the only weak spots I see are the front of the house; it looks like a ranch/split level to me from the front picture, and I don't like the look. I am not into colonials, either, though, lol. I wonder if you did something different with the front of the house -- maybe go ahead and paint the brick on the lower half -- it would have less of the ranch/split level look? If it is feasible to consult an architect or designer or something to see if there is an easy/quick & not terribly expensive way to make the front of the house more of a show-piece as the rest of the house is, then that might be a decent investment. I don't know -- maybe just something with the paint/front door/trim/shutters. I am not good at figuring out those details, but it is something to ponder, and you obviously have great decorating talents, so maybe you can come up with your own ideas, lol. Meanwhile, if there is another picture you could use as the "front page" of your listing, that might be a decent idea, even though it sounds like you are getting showing traffic, so that might not matter, really.

Other than the front of the house not doing justice to the interior and back yard, I agree that the kitchen looks tight. I love a big kitchen. My little kitchen in our current house is my one complaint, and the only thing I look forward to about my kids being grown is that when we're done paying for college . . . I am getting a new kitchen!! :) (10+ year plan, lol). If there is anything you can do economically to make the kitchen seem larger with counter space and/or cabinet space and/or island, that might be worth the $$ you put into it.

I really love your house. I am sure that even if you don't change a thing, it'll sell for you once the spring selling season heats up.

Edited by StephanieZ

Our realtor always encouraged us to eat food that was laying around the houses she showed us. We thought it was a little weird and never did, but she seemed to think it was always laid out for us -- the potential buyers. She generally had a bit of a snack off whatever offerings were there.

Was it your agent who showed the house? Or a different agent?

I'm looking at houses right now, so I've spent the weekend looking at listings like this.

From the pictures, I don't actually see anything wrong with the house at all, at least, not that you could do anything about easily. The kitchen does strike me as being a bit small for a 4 bedroom house in that price range.

But I'm seeing a lot of great houses around us that just aren't selling. Things are very slow right now.

I do notice a lot of houses with reduced prices. Unfortunately, that may be what it takes. Have you looked at the competition in your area and what they're asking? I'd particularly look at kitchen sizes in houses that have 4 bedrooms. It could be that people are expecting a bit more kitchen for that price. Although some potential buyers might see that wall space as a great place to put in more cabinets, a lot of buyers may not be that creative.

Edited by flyingiguana

I would rotate the pictures to show the front last. I love that you have a lot of pics, and they're gorgeous! But I grew up in the land of bi-levels, and would never in a million years expect what YOU have behind that door.

If I were scrolling through a real estate site, I'd probably pass all bi-levels by without a second thought. Which would be a shame, because now I'm in love with your home. :)

Rotating the pix is a good idea -- I like that!

The screened porch is what sold us on thishouse -- if you saw what the inside looked like when we bought it, you would have thought we had lost our minds.;)

We've had one realtor and her buyer tell us that we 'don't really live here' - i.e., we've already moved and we just keep stuff in the house so people will think we still are here.:001_huh: Gosh, I answered, I didn't know I had enough time to homeschool three kids AND maintain a double life! :glare:

Another buyer told me that I needed to do something about the fact that the lawn and trees 'are dead.' I pointed out that it is WINTER

(22 degrees F here today) -- that didn't seem to faze her.

I will tweak things as far as the suggestions I have received (good ones) -- I do have vases of gorgeous tulips out and around here and there -- We are priced below our competition as far as northern virginia goes. I do think there is push back from buyers because one probably expects to get more for their $550k.....and one can get more, but they could not be downtown in less than an hour, be seconds from major commuting routes, be in the #1 school pyramid in the county, have recreational privileges at the golf club that is behind the back yard for less than $500. a year (all privileges) AND NOT pay a monthly HOA fee, no HOA here, Hospital and medical care less than two miles away. And one could not be in a sfh on 1/2 acre for less than $550k. And they certainly wouldn't have a kitchen with appliances of the quality we have in ours.

But, everything is a process -- and the way this house had to wait for dh and me, I imagine we will have to wait for the 'thinking' buyer as well.

I also think that the days when the market here was crazy has left some folks thinking that they need bling and glitz, and our house AND our town is not the bling and glitz place. It is more quiet, understated, unobtrusive --:)

You made cookies for the buyers, and they ate them. That doesn't seem weird to me.

I totally agree -- and I do think that is the issue -- we will need to wait for the buyer who doesn't care that the outside is rather plain and simple and imo unattractive and be totally wowed by the interior.

My dh is very big on curb appeal. If he doesn't like the outside of the house, then he can't get past that.

Our realtor always encouraged us to eat food that was laying around the houses she showed us. We thought it was a little weird and never did, but she seemed to think it was always laid out for us -- the potential buyers. She generally had a bit of a snack off whatever offerings were there.

Right, and if this is an agent who had shown your house before, then they might have been used to you having cookies.

Mariann, if I was moving to your area, I'd buy your house in a heartbeat. It's our almost-perfect house (the location would make DH's commute to downtown Atlanta a little long). The kitchen makes me drool. Well, really, the whole house makes me drool. We are within weeks of closing on a split level after spending months looking for one that fit our needs/compromises. What we realized is that if the house is great shape, like yours, but has one maybe-flaw, we can work around it. The kitchen might look small in photos but there is still enough wall space to add more cabinets. We will be doing that in our new house. Our new kitchen is adequate but for a family of 6, we need more cabinets. There is a breakfast nook with great wall space that we will be adding cabinets to in order to get my needed storage space.

My only recommendation from looking at your pictures is to take another front yard picture when spring arrives and the yard is greening up/flowers blooming.

Best of luck with the continued sale. The market seems so strange these days. It's almost like people have too much to choose from so they can't make a choice.

You made cookies for the buyers, and they ate them. That doesn't seem weird to me.

Yes - but they were sitting out of the way on a cookie sheet with no indication that they were for the people coming -- the cookie dish near the brochures and other paper stuff was empty of cookies.

Right, and if this is an agent who had shown your house before, then they might have been used to you having cookies.

All agent make appointments through our realtor -- we have not had any agents through here for a second time -- yet (fingers crossed).

I must run -- someone is coming between noon and 1:30. Thankfully, we have had at least one showing a day and as many as three a day since Thursday.:)

Mariann, if I was moving to your area, I'd buy your house in a heartbeat. It's our almost-perfect house (the location would make DH's commute to downtown Atlanta a little long). The kitchen makes me drool. Well, really, the whole house makes me drool. We are within weeks of closing on a split level after spending months looking for one that fit our needs/compromises. What we realized is that if the house is great shape, like yours, but has one maybe-flaw, we can work around it. The kitchen might look small in photos but there is still enough wall space to add more cabinets. We will be doing that in our new house. Our new kitchen is adequate but for a family of 6, we need more cabinets. There is a breakfast nook with great wall space that we will be adding cabinets to in order to get my needed storage space.

My only recommendation from looking at your pictures is to take another front yard picture when spring arrives and the yard is greening up/flowers blooming.

Best of luck with the continued sale. The market seems so strange these days. It's almost like people have too much to choose from so they can't make a choice.

Thank you - -- in red: THIS. I know that we have lists of thing we will and will not compromise on, but I see this amazing inflexibility especially in first time homebuyers or in younger couples that they MUST have everything and will not consider something that doesn't meet everything on their wish list. Around here, they must have to spend ALOT of money because things here are not inexpensive.

Your home is lovely on the inside. :001_smile: You need to have your realtor take different pics. Any picture with dog items should be replaced. Since you've spruced up the front yard, you should have a new picture of that too.

I agree about rotating the pictures. I might have passed over that front photo too, as I'd expect the interior to be different than it actually is.

I was also going to suggest removing the mirrors upstairs. They are huge and dominate the space. It was twice before I noticed the fireplace. I might also repaint the wall around the fireplace a bit brighter/warmer just so that the fireplace takes center stage. And the one downstairs as well (didn't I catch a glimpse of one downstairs or in another room as well???)

No garage? Does your competition have a garage? Not that you can change that but We absolutely prefer a garage.

I also think that changing the first photo will generate new interest. I can't tell you how many times I was searching online for a house and I would see a great picture only to realize later that hey, I had seen that house before. I would have never looked at it again if the picture had stayed the same. I think the picture of the steps in the front is a nice one as well. It shows the effort put into the steps and such.

Another thing, and maybe it is just me, but you seem to have decluttered so much that the house is nearly empty in a not so good way. The rooms, except for the dinning room, seem ackward sized in the pictures because there is pretty much no furniture and what furniture there is, is pushed against the walls and in the corners. It may be that you could rearrange the furniture some how to make the rooms not be so ackward. And why is there is microwave in the laundry room? Is it downstairs?

I was also going to suggest removing the mirrors upstairs. They are huge and dominate the space. It was twice before I noticed the fireplace. I might also repaint the wall around the fireplace a bit brighter/warmer just so that the fireplace takes center stage. And the one downstairs as well (didn't I catch a glimpse of one downstairs or in another room as well???)

No garage? Does your competition have a garage? Not that you can change that but We absolutely prefer a garage.

I also think that changing the first photo will generate new interest. I can't tell you how many times I was searching online for a house and I would see a great picture only to realize later that hey, I had seen that house before. I would have never looked at it again if the picture had stayed the same. I think the picture of the steps in the front is a nice one as well. It shows the effort put into the steps and such.

Another thing, and maybe it is just me, but you seem to have decluttered so much that the house is nearly empty in a not so good way. The rooms, except for the dinning room, seem ackward sized in the pictures because there is pretty much no furniture and what furniture there is, is pushed against the walls and in the corners. It may be that you could rearrange the furniture some how to make the rooms not be so ackward. And why is there is microwave in the laundry room? Is it downstairs?

I have barely two seconds -- you make excellent points -- furniture is pushed to the wall b/c our realtor prefers it that way --:glare:.

microwave is downstairs b/c we only have it so dd12 could use it for a science fair experiment -- we haven't used a microwave in years.

No garage -- I know. Garages in homes THIS close to a METRO and in this price range are almot nonexistent and certainly one would be looking at a townhouse in this price range if one insisted on a garage. I think it is a Virginia-thing -- we never would buy a house without a garage in NJ -- but here, it seems to be not a huge thing.

must run -- I have to bake cookies.:glare:

Thank you - -- in red: THIS. I know that we have lists of thing we will and will not compromise on, but I see this amazing inflexibility especially in first time homebuyers or in younger couples that they MUST have everything and will not consider something that doesn't meet everything on their wish list. Around here, they must have to spend ALOT of money because things here are not inexpensive.

We were first time homebuyers last year and spent over 1 year looking for our new home. Yeah, we had that list, but if we were looking closer to the top of our price range, it had to be nearly right because we knew it would be awhile before we had money to make changes. Adding more cabinets in the kitchen would have been a turn off for us because we know that those are not cheap, especially if we were trying to match high granite and so on. However, I can see in yours room for open shelves on the sides and would consider maybe putting book shelf like storage on the sides.

A friend of mine has a wonderful house for sale and they are not getting any offers either. A large, custom built home on 15 acres in the most desirable school in the county. It is considered to be the rock bottom house in the range, lower than comprable homes. Houses all around her are selling, for more, with less land and less house. She has been receiving interesting feedback. For people who really love her house as is, it is just above their price range. For people that can afford her house, it isn't high end enough. The problem for them has been that while the house is fantastic, and has a great kitchen, amazing master bath, and is set up for easy transition to become handicapped accessible, the rest of the house doesn't look as nice, the walls and floors don't look as nice, and people looking at the house who can afford her price range are saying that the trims in the house are too low end. Or that the fabulous kitchen makes the rest of the house look tired. They don't want to buy the house and make too many upgrades. If they can buy a fabulous, move in ready, high end looking home for $20-$40K more, they are.

My friend is in the process of buying new bedding that looks more expensive and accessories that look more expensive at the recommendation of the realtor. She is making all the rooms look more hotel/spa like - even the kids rooms. She is putting slip covers on the csofa in the basement to make it look more expensive. She is making certain that every window has at least a nice valance to break up all the wall space. She is using some trendy colors to accent features she wants people to see - like fireplaces, the high ceilings, and so on.

I have to agree with getting rid of the mirrors and painting that wall. It really swallows the fireplace. I didn't even notice it there. If you have the space, you mighht also want to swing those chairs around so that they are facing the fireplace and make a cozy area. But onpy if there's sufficient room to walk around them. The way you currently have the furniture and rug in that room is kinda awkward. It may make more sense once you notice the fireplace, thought. (I'd pull that rug out from the wall a little. It makes it look cramped.)

As for the kitchen, our kitchen is tiny. I have 5 ft of cupboard space and that includes the sink and half dishwasher. Your kitchen doesn't look small to me, but it does look sparse. Before I see the cabinets on the other wall, it looks like less cabinet space than i have now, and that won't do. As a buyer, I would feel like I needed to redo the kitchen. (I wouldn't think i could find the same cabinrts) and that would make me a little sad, because it does look like you put a lot of time and $ into it. I wouldn't do anything now. With spring coming, I suspect you'll have a buyer before 6 mos go by. But if things continue to not move, I'd look into what it would cost to add a couple uppers. Is there a pantry nearby? This would influence my decision as it would make it less of a big deal.

With the front of the house, as spring comes, get a nee pic. It doesn't wow me. But it doesn't look bad. A bit of flowers and vegitstion should help. (also, have that stairs picture moved near the front pic. It throws you off to have it near the end and tou have to look a minute to figure out what you're looking at.) A small, decorative tree in the yard on the side eith the small windows might help break up the monotony of that side and hide the fact that the windows are tiny. (not seeing it in person, I don't know i that's actually a good idea. But it seems like it might be.) i havr other ideas, but none of them are cheap and I don't think you. Eed to worry about spending a lot of $ right now.

And, to quench our curiousity, what does the side look like with the infamous hedges? Your listin lacks pics of those. :D

Overall, it's beautiful. And your gracious in taking all this criticism.

Edited by Scuff

Mariann as you know dh and I just got a contract on our house. What our realtor did was if another agency showed our house, our realtor got feedback from them and their clients and the times that our realtor showed our house he would call back several times and nudge the people and that is how he got our buyers, he talked them into coming back for a second time and that is when they made their offer.

Regarding your photos, your house and back yard are beautiful. I love your screened in porch so much. Here are some comments I have (you are brave to want all of our opinions lol)

I think your realtor is wrong about wanting the furniture pushed back to the walls, In the room with your fireplace, it does not look cosy, When I look thru a house I want to vision myself living there and I would never have my furniture back against the walls. I would want a chair or two in front of the fireplace that I could see myself being cosy in and enjoying the fire. Also I think you should have something colorful in the middle of the mantle to draw the eye to the fireplace and I agree with others about removing the mirrors, they are distracting.

I think your basement looks good, the furniture is arranged well.

Your kitchen looks stark, it needs some color, maybe something colorful on either the open white shelves, maybe something bigger on the countertop where you have the little colorful ceramic bowls or maybe a small colorful area rug or something brighter on the walls (all your pictures in the kitchen are very neutral).

I think the polka dots in the shower curtain and the area rug in the one bathromm are a little jarring, something solid would look better.

Lastly, I have cats (as you have dogs or at least one dog) and whenever our house got showed, I threw the cats ourside and removed all items relating to them, for ex. all food and water bowls got put away and I put their litter boxes in the garage. I think for some reason, people (non pet owning people ) maybe feel a house is not clean or something if they see evidence of pets

I hope you are okay with all my comments. I sometimes can be a little too blunt lol

Jeannie

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

I live in an area that has split levels like that and they all look pretty plain on the outside like that but they are all in more expensive areas of town and cost more money as well. As a matter of fact, the last house we lived in looked at lot like this one the only difference was that we had a garage under the two stories of bedroom windows on the left side. The house looked like a split level but it really had four levels - the main level, a lower quarters level, a second story quarters level and the basement level. There really wasn't much to be done to make it look better on the outside. We had almost the same colors, sidewalk and brick retaining wall.

I think that he only thing that you can do about it is change the rotations of the pictures so that they can see the good stuff first. Put all of the gorgeous outside pictures first and then the living room and dining room. Then maybe the bonus room, laundry room and then the children's rooms after you hae warmed them up a bit. Put the front pictures in there at the end almost like an after thought.

I love the living room exactly the way it is. I love the mirrors. They are big and bold and really open the space up making it look larger than it is. The colors are nice and warma nd well coordinated. I wouldn't touch that room except for purhaps some stronger curtains in there maybe mathcing the colors from the rug?

Dining room is also great. Matches the living room well and flows from both the living rooma and kitchen. Once again, perhaps curtains on the small window.

The Kitchen is a probelm. I hate stainless steal, absolutely hate it. I wouldn't buy it based on that fact alone. I love the stove and I think that based on the cabinets on the one wall that there are probably plenty of cabinets. However, I don't know if it is the light or what but the cabinets all appear to be different colors. It over all gives off a rather cool feeling. Also I really don't care for the open cabinets or the kitchen decor. I would rework that as much as I possibly can for a reasonable price. If you love your appliances, take them with you and buy cheapers ones to go in this house and then if you end up buying a house that already has appliances sell them.

The bedrooms do look extremely spartan and I think I would overrise the realter on this one. Liven them up and make them look like children looks there. Make them fun and intteresting. You could proabably do that fairl cheaply. Arrange the furniture in a logical flow that would lokk normal to most people. And finally tone down the teal bathroom a bit.

Good luck. It sounds like you have had enough trouble with this house.

ETA: Good Grief. Forgive all the typos and misspellings in here. This was after I was Ambienated.

Edited by KidsHappen

I agree with everyone, your home is gorgeous. The back yard and screened in porch are wonderful.

The front is what may be throwing some people. I see all those stairs to go inside. It's very pretty, but style-wise not my first choice. I would try to add some color to the facade, maybe a tree or topiary in a planter. You need something vertical to cut the horizontal line.

I might also add some greenery, like a potted tree, in the kitchen. The short wall of cabinets looks sparse in the picture. Even something like an antique taller table would look inviting.

I also agree about removing the fuzzy toilet seat cover. It's cutting into what looks like a narrow bathroom.

The laundry room is another area. Do you have room to unstack the washer/dryer. My first instinct would have been to have less cabinetry and leave them side-by-side. I'm short, so reaching up to do laundry would annoy me. Also does the cabinet have side panel on it and baseboard? Or is that just the lighting? Some people may be looking at the laundry room cabinets and wishing they were in the kitchen, or thinking that the laundry room has more cabinet space than the kitchen.

The living room furniture should be arranged in a conversation area. At least I'd try it that way.

Didn't you say you have a nice pantry area? I think that should have a photo as well.

I think your home is gorgeous, I love your decor.

Oh, another thought about those mirrors. Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't see them as mirrors when I first looked through the photos. I thought they were two cut out entrances into another room. I only went back and saw what they actually were when others mentioned them. Could other people see those photos and also think the mirrors are doors into another room, then be disappointed when they aren't?

Didn't you say you have a nice pantry area? I think that should have a photo as well.
If you have a pantry, you should also have it mentioned in that listing. I couldn't find it listed anywhere. Knowing I had storage space would make that kitchen more appealing to me.

Are you getting any feedback from the realtor? I know here we were always asked for feedback on pretty much every house - what we liked, didn't like, why we would be interested or why we decided against it - and that information always went back to the listing agent.

Not all realtors are good stagers, even though they think they might be ;) If you were really wanting to move soon, I would seriously consider hiring a decorator or a stager to come help arrange the house and give you ideas.

Or, maybe if you have a photographer friend, you could have someone else take some more attractive pictures and ask to have those included in the listing.

Funny how we are all looking at different things. I like the turquoise bathroom. The seat cover is not to my taste but since I would hope you aren't leaving it behind, I could get past that.After looking at the rest of the house I like the pop of color. The kitchen for me is a real problem, and I hate saying that knowing you spent lots of money on it. The way it is presented, it looks sparse and unfinished with not enough cabinets. I also very much prefer a divided sink. And I don't like open shelves. We have cats, children, dust... I would rather have cabinets than the latest trends. Yes, I would love the stove, and I am not particular about the fridge so that would work.

I was just talking to dh about your house and he has questions for you.

How long has your house been on the market?

Have your lowered your price any since you listed?

Are other similiar houses in your area selling for your price?

Do you have a good realtor?

Why are you moving (if this is too personal, just tell him none of his business lol)

He said his number one question is what prices have similiar houses in your area sold for lately (have you gotten comps from your realtor)?

Are you getting any feedback on price from propective buyers?

The kitchen for me is a real problem, and I hate saying that knowing you spent lots of money on it. The way it is presented, it looks sparse and unfinished with not enough cabinets. I also very much prefer a divided sink. And I don't like open shelves. We have cats, children, dust... I would rather have cabinets than the latest trends. Yes, I would love the stove, and I am not particular about the fridge so that would work.

Yes, this. It looks unfinished. As a buyer I would think I had to redo the kitchen because I would never be able to find more cabinets/countertops that match.

Also, I think the art in the kitchen is too much in too many differing styles. The open shelves would also be a turn off.

Mirrors, no mirrors. Open shelves good, open shelves bad. Stainless steel too industrial, stainless steel looks great. :lol::lol::lol:

I think this thread proves that you just need to find the right buyer that loves what you have done. Hang in there, it'll happen and a few years from now this will all be a memory.

I have to agree with getting rid of the mirrors and painting that wall. It really swallows the fireplace. I didn't even notice it there. If you have the space, you mighht also want to swing those chairs around so that they are facing the fireplace and make a cozy area. But onpy if there's sufficient room to walk around them. The way you currently have the furniture and rug in that room is kinda awkward. It may make more sense once you notice the fireplace, thought. (I'd pull that rug out from the wall a little. It makes it look cramped.)

As for the kitchen, our kitchen is tiny. I have 5 ft of cupboard space and that includes the sink and half dishwasher. Your kitchen doesn't look small to me, but it does look sparse. Before I see the cabinets on the other wall, it looks like less cabinet space than i have now, and that won't do. As a buyer, I would feel like I needed to redo the kitchen. (I wouldn't think i could find the same cabinrts) and that would make me a little sad, because it does look like you put a lot of time and $ into it. I wouldn't do anything now. With spring coming, I suspect you'll have a buyer before 6 mos go by. But if things continue to not move, I'd look into what it would cost to add a couple uppers. Is there a pantry nearby? This would influence my decision as it would make it less of a big deal.

With the front of the house, as spring comes, get a nee pic. It doesn't wow me. But it doesn't look bad. A bit of flowers and vegitstion should help. (also, have that stairs picture moved near the front pic. It throws you off to have it near the end and tou have to look a minute to figure out what you're looking at.) A small, decorative tree in the yard on the side eith the small windows might help break up the monotony of that side and hide the fact that the windows are tiny. (not seeing it in person, I don't know i that's actually a good idea. But it seems like it might be.) i havr other ideas, but none of them are cheap and I don't think you. Eed to worry about spending a lot of $ right now.

And, to quench our curiousity, what does the side look like with the infamous hedges? Your listin lacks pics of those. :D

Overall, it's beautiful. And your gracious in taking all this criticism.

Thank you -- you are very nice -- you cannot see the stuff that mrs. scissorhands but when you look at the front of the house, her handiwork would be to the left at the side of the driveway betwe her house and ours. I haven't seen her all winter......lucky for her!:glare:

And yes, there is a pantry -- it is a good size and it is clearly a pantry -- it is just outside the kitchen - literally one step out. It is staged --:001_huh: -- I am sure I lose points with buyers for that.:svengo:

I agree with everyone, your home is gorgeous. The back yard and screened in porch are wonderful.

The front is what may be throwing some people. I see all those stairs to go inside. It's very pretty, but style-wise not my first choice. I would try to add some color to the facade, maybe a tree or topiary in a planter. You need something vertical to cut the horizontal line.

I might also add some greenery, like a potted tree, in the kitchen. The short wall of cabinets looks sparse in the picture. Even something like an antique taller table would look inviting.

I also agree about removing the fuzzy toilet seat cover. It's cutting into what looks like a narrow bathroom.

The laundry room is another area. Do you have room to unstack the washer/dryer. My first instinct would have been to have less cabinetry and leave them side-by-side. I'm short, so reaching up to do laundry would annoy me. Also does the cabinet have side panel on it and baseboard? Or is that just the lighting? Some people may be looking at the laundry room cabinets and wishing they were in the kitchen, or thinking that the laundry room has more cabinet space than the kitchen.

The living room furniture should be arranged in a conversation area. At least I'd try it that way.

I think your home is gorgeous, I love your decor.

Thank you -- you are so kind to say those things!

Here's a laugh: the cabinets in the laundry room are what used to be ALL of the cabinets in the kitchen -- when we re-did the kitchen, we moved the cabinets to the laundry room. Washer and dryer cannot be unstacked -- we sacrificed THAT option to have two separate entrances to the full bath down there - one entrance from the bedroom and the other entrance that you see to the right of the w/d.

The cabinets in the kitchen are all still available -- we have made it known (our realtor has made it known) that it is possible to get cabinets put on the walls if one wants, they would match, and they should make an offer and see if we will pay for some of that cost.

I guess it comes down to we are not negotiating with anyone without a written contract -- our last realtor got into that with a couple of buyers and it did not turn out well.

If someone is seriously serious, they need to sit down and write a contract and put it all in writing -- then we will negotiate.

We tried the living roomn furniture in a rather conversational grouping they way you and others have suggested -- all we got was negative feedback.

I think it is a house that shows better in spring and summer than in the winter, and as someone said here, we just have to wait for the right buyer.

:)

Mariann as you know dh and I just got a contract on our house. What our realtor did was if another agency showed our house, our realtor got feedback from them and their clients and the times that our realtor showed our house he would call back several times and nudge the people and that is how he got our buyers, he talked them into coming back for a second time and that is when they made their offer.

Regarding your photos, your house and back yard are beautiful. I love your screened in porch so much. Here are some comments I have (you are brave to want all of our opinions lol)

I think your realtor is wrong about wanting the furniture pushed back to the walls, In the room with your fireplace, it does not look cosy, When I look thru a house I want to vision myself living there and I would never have my furniture back against the walls. I would want a chair or two in front of the fireplace that I could see myself being cosy in and enjoying the fire. Also I think you should have something colorful in the middle of the mantle to draw the eye to the fireplace and I agree with others about removing the mirrors, they are distracting.

I think your basement looks good, the furniture is arranged well.

Your kitchen looks stark, it needs some color, maybe something colorful on either the open white shelves, maybe something bigger on the countertop where you have the little colorful ceramic bowls or maybe a small colorful area rug or something brighter on the walls (all your pictures in the kitchen are very neutral).

I think the polka dots in the shower curtain and the area rug in the one bathromm are a little jarring, something solid would look better.

Lastly, I have cats (as you have dogs or at least one dog) and whenever our house got showed, I threw the cats ourside and removed all items relating to them, for ex. all food and water bowls got put away and I put their litter boxes in the garage. I think for some reason, people (non pet owning people ) maybe feel a house is not clean or something if they see evidence of pets

I hope you are okay with all my comments. I sometimes can be a little too blunt lol

Jeannie

You have been perfectly gracious in your comments -- everyone has been actually. It is good because it makes me see my home through someone else's eyes -- how often do we get to do that?:confused:

'Stuff' makes me nervous -- like in the kitchen, you know. I have had folks ask me for years how I can cook a soup to nuts dinner and not have so much as a spoon out on the counter -- for the longest time folks thought I was having everything catered -- :D -- but that is the way I am. I need to look around and see 'not alot of stuff.' I would love to go to HomeGoods and put some stuff here and there, but that is so not me. Maybe I should work on that -- I think the kitchen is too busy as it is -- isn't that funny?

I live in an area that has split levels like that and they all look pretty plain on the outside like that but they are all in more expensive areas of town and cost more money as well. As a matter of fact, the last house we lived in looked at lot like this one the only difference was that we had a garage under the two stories of bedroom windows on the left side. The house looked like a split level but it really had four levels - the main level, a lower quarters level, a second story quarters level and the basement level. There really wasn't much to be done to make it look better on the outside. We had almost the same colors, sidewalk and brick retaining wall.

I think that he only thing that you can do about it is change the rotations of the pictures so that they can see the good stuff first. Put all of the gorgeous outside pictures first and then the living room and dining room. Then maybe the bonus room, laundry room and then the children's rooms after you hae warmed them up a bit. Put the front pictures in there at the end almost like an after thought.

I love the living room exactly the way it is. I love the mirrors. They are big and bold and really open the space up making it look larger than it is. The colors are nice and warma nd well coordinated. I wouldn't touch that room except for purhaps some stronger curtains in there maybe mathcing the colors from the rug?

Dining room is also great. Matches the living room well and flows from both the living rooma and kitchen. Once again, perhaps curtains on the small window.

The Kitchen is a probelm. I hate stainless steal, absolutely hate it. I wouldn't buy it based on that fact alone. I love the stove and I think that based on the cabinets on the one wall that there are probably plenty of cabinets. However, I don't know if it is the light or what but the cabinets all appear to be different colors. It over all gives off a rather cool feeling. Also I really don't care for the open cabinets or the kitchen decor. I would rework that as much as I possibly can for a reasonable price. If you love your appliances, take them with you and buy cheapers ones to go in this house and then if you end up buying a house that already has appliances sell them.

The bedrooms do look extremely spartan and I think I would overrise the realter on this one. Liven them up and make them look like children looks there. Make them fun and intteresting. You could proabably do that fairl cheaply. Arrange the furniture in a logical flow that would lokk normal to most people. And finally tone down the teal bathroom a bit.

Good luck. It sounds like you have had enough trouble with this house.

Thank you -- good suggestions -- I like the idea of making the kids' bathroom look like the kids' bathroom -- and toning down the teal.

The cabinets in the kitchen are all still available -- we have made it known (our realtor has made it known) that it is possible to get cabinets put on the walls if one wants, they would match, and they should make an offer and see if we will pay for some of that cost.

I guess it comes down to we are not negotiating with anyone without a written contract -- our last realtor got into that with a couple of buyers and it did not turn out well.

If someone is seriously serious, they need to sit down and write a contract and put it all in writing -- then we will negotiate.

That's good about the cabinets.

And I totally agree on the written contract. :grouphug: Your buyer will come.

When we sold our first house we had one contract fall through, I was so upset. Then another buyer came and still lives there, 12 years later. They were looking for exactly what our house was, they even knew the neighbors behind us. They were giddy to buy it, seriously. Someone will feel that way about your house.

Wow - I think your house is beautiful. As I went through the pictures, all I could think of was it might be too nice ;). We have several friends who are house hunting right now & they are all looking at the lower priced houses that they can fix up. Sweat equity will save them money in the long run.

Your house looks like it's move-in ready & is maybe priced to reflect that (I am in the midwest, so I have no knowledge of your area). I think you just need the right family....one that doesn't want to change a thing, loves your style, and would be happy just moving and settling in, as is. There may be fewer of those types of buyers now, especially with the way the economy is.

With that said, I think it's beautiful and the porch has me drooling!!!!:D

When we sold our first house we had one contract fall through, I was so upset. Then another buyer came and still lives there, 12 years later. They were looking for exactly what our house was, they even knew the neighbors behind us. They were giddy to buy it, seriously. Someone will feel that way about your house.

Yes, it will happen. I think your house is absolutely gorgeous!

I was just talking to dh about your house and he has questions for you.

How long has your house been on the market? Three weeks

Have your lowered your price any since you listed? No - we are the lowest priced single family 4 bedroom house in Oakton.

Are other similiar houses in your area selling for your price? There aren't but a handful of homes on the market in our zip code -- everything else is much more expensive. House across the road from us (used to be our agent's house) amazingly similar to ours but with built on a slab -- first and second levels only -- we are main level and lower level) went under contract a week ago for $60K more than we are listed.

Do you have a good realtor?nYes -- she is. I am very comfortable with her.

Why are you moving (if this is too personal, just tell him none of his business lol) To be closer to where the kids will attend private high school. That being said, Folks around here generally don't ask why people are moving -- northern virginia is a very active real estate market and people move 'just because.'

He said his number one question is what prices have similiar houses in your area sold for lately (have you gotten comps from your realtor)? Yes we have looked at comps -- there are homes higher priced than us and townhomes lower priced than us.

Are you getting any feedback on price from propective buyers?

Feedback has been that they either love it or hate it. One person hated it -- everyone else has had good things to say. In a few cases, folks who have looked have something they have to sell - we will not consider a contingent contract. I am not displeased with the feedback -- but what I want is an offer -- an offer would mean that someone is serious -- but it has only been on the market for three weeks and we are getting heavy traffic so that is good. One couple on thursday LOVED LOVED LOVED it. they have a house to sell. But they want our school pyramid.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Wow - I think your house is beautiful. As I went through the pictures, all I could think of was it might be too nice ;). We have several friends who are house hunting right now & they are all looking at the lower priced houses that they can fix up. Sweat equity will save them money in the long run.

Your house looks like it's move-in ready & is maybe priced to reflect that (I am in the midwest, so I have no knowledge of your area). I think you just need the right family....one that doesn't want to change a thing, loves your style, and would be happy just moving and settling in, as is. There may be fewer of those types of buyers now, especially with the way the economy is.

With that said, I think it's beautiful and the porch has me drooling!!!!:D

Yes, it will happen. I think your house is absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You all are so nice! You've boosted my spirits today (I just had a meltdown at Nordstrom's Rack).

I do think that there is a buyer for every house and we do need someone to get emotionally involved with our house to appreciate all it has - totally move in condition -- everything is new -- and high end. I think it isn't easy to find someone to appreciate what each homeowner has done to their home, but the person that does, is probably the person who will want to live there. I see that in me when I go out to look.

The porch is amazing -- we ate thanksgiving dinner on the porch b/c it was so nice and warm that day. The kids have had Christmas Day appetizers on the porch when it is warm in December -- the porch makes the living space SO much larger. I sit out there at night in the summer for hours!

Thank you all -- I will do some of the things suggested -- your ideas and comments have been helpful to remind me that everyone sees stuff differently -- I may think my house is perfect....but it is only perfect for our family. Thank you again.:)

I think many people are totally crazy in the way they buy houses. Like paint colour and for goodness sake the current owners weird furniture or beautiful furniture should not matter unless it comes with the house. The really important things are the ones you can't change - the orientation, the neighbourhood, some aspects of layout, the bones of the house. And then the really expensive things to change if you don't have the budget or inclinnation for renos are next.

For some reason people look at the least important things and don't make even an attempt to think creatively about a home and how it will function.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

First time homebuyers kranking about the paint color floors me. Or that they don't like a door--something SO easy to change.

Of course this is me, who bought an house built in the 1880s and there is so much you just have to accept about the house. But the old owner said the same as you-he was floored at what people demanded he do when they made an offer.

I think many people are totally crazy in the way they buy houses. Like paint colour and for goodness sake the current owners weird furniture or beautiful furniture should not matter unless it comes with the house. The really important things are the ones you can't change - the orientation, the neighbourhood, some aspects of layout, the bones of the house. And then the really expensive things to change if you don't have the budget or inclinnation for renos are next.

For some reason people look at the least important things and don't make even an attempt to think creatively about a home and how it will function.

You said it!!!!!! I totally agree!!!! Paint and furniture don't even register when I look at a house -- I am thrilled if the paint is neutral and I think I can live with it, but it's not a reason NOT to buy a house --

I totally agree that I think many people look at the least important things and don't make any effort to think creatively.

We had one gentleman who cam the day before Christmas Eve -- he was totally honest with our agent -- he told her that he figured the photos were too good to be true and were probably 'glamour shot' photos and he wanted to see if this was an opportunity to put in a lowball offer. After he went through the house, he told her that he could not in all good conscience make a lowball offer --

People are........errr...........well, people are people.:001_huh: