Menu

Weird Things People Do When They Come To See Your House: #4,813:

Feedback has been that they either love it or hate it. One person hated it -- everyone else has had good things to say. In a few cases, folks who have looked have something they have to sell - we will not consider a contingent contract. I am not displeased with the feedback -- but what I want is an offer -- an offer would mean that someone is serious -- but it has only been on the market for three weeks and we are getting heavy traffic so that is good. One couple on thursday LOVED LOVED LOVED it. they have a house to sell. But they want our school pyramid.

Not considering a contingent contract where I live would cut your market down by more than half - more than three quarters I would think. Is that usual where you live?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If buyer feedback says your living room should be as is, than listen to them, not us. It sounds like the kitchen shouldn't be an issue. The pantry being in the listing would help. But you're getting people in the door, so that's probably not a huge issue.

Much of what people are saying is personal preferance (stainless, no stainless). Some of what buyers notice is just nuts and should be able to be overlooked. (the furniture isn't going to be there when they move in anyway.) The changes you make should help the house show well. I'd like more color. But i can overlook that your drapes are white, since I's put my own up anyway. But if I never notice the fireplace, that's a problem. When reading the advice here, try to focus on what will bring out the best in what is there.

If buyer feedback says your living room should be as is, than listen to them, not us. It sounds like the kitchen shouldn't be an issue. The pantry being in the listing would help. But you're getting people in the door, so that's probably not a huge issue.

Much of what people are saying is personal preferance (stainless, no stainless). Some of what buyers notice is just nuts and should be able to be overlooked. (the furniture isn't going to be there when they move in anyway.) The changes you make should help the house show well. I'd like more color. But i can overlook that your drapes are white, since I's put my own up anyway. But if I never notice the fireplace, that's a problem. When reading the advice here, try to focus on what will bring out the best in what is there.

Well said......thank you. You have made good points and I appreciate that. Thanks again.:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

First time homebuyers kranking about the paint color floors me. Or that they don't like a door--something SO easy to change.

Of course this is me, who bought an house built in the 1880s and there is so much you just have to accept about the house. But the old owner said the same as you-he was floored at what people demanded he do when they made an offer.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: I think folks here have the juxtaposition of new construction a few miles away in another county - said new construction brings hours of commuting to the breadwinners in the family. Or, one comes closer in where new construction costs upwards of $1.5+ million (I kid you not), or one looks at existing homes, has a reasonable commute, and is in a blue ribbon school district.

I think that after looking at model homes that are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful (albeit with hundreds of thousands of dollars of upgrades and room extensions) in another county, when one comes to ffx county and looks at existing re-sales, well, we aren't a bright, shiny penny.

But, these are choices and decisions that folks have to make -- one cannot just throw a dart at a map and decide to live there -- that doesn't work here. I can get everything I want in new construction but dh's commute would be a nightmare and my kids would not be able to go where they want to go to high school.

OR, dh can have a reasonable commute, kids will be close to school and their friends and we will have to make compromises when deciding on a house -- if we could spend $2M in the county where we want to go, well, it would be easy, but we are not in that boat for sure. It's a balancing act.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

First time homebuyers kranking about the paint color floors me. Or that they don't like a door--something SO easy to change.

Of course this is me, who bought an house built in the 1880s and there is so much you just have to accept about the house. But the old owner said the same as you-he was floored at what people demanded he do when they made an offer.

Yes, dh and I watch house hunters on HGTV sometimes, and it always gets me when the young couple gripe about the paint colors or the carpet- those things are easy to change out. I think you have to look at the bones of the house and what things you will want to change right away, what you can afford to change and what things you can live with till you can change them.

my dh is a total project guy, maybe people who are not as handy have trouble envisioning the possibilities.

our 1st house sat for maybe two months during the crazy peak of house-selling...we thought about lowering the price, but then we got an offer from one of the first people to see it during out open house. I guess he was waiting either for something better or for us to maybe drop our prices.

good luck, it will happen, your house is beautiful!

The front yard and view of the house which is also one's first impression (your first pic) does not do your house justice. I was stunned how beautiful the interior is. Somehow the outside must beckon the buyer to explore the inside. To the right of the entry (when facing the house) looks neglected. What is under the picture window-a plant box? Is it not painted? Can it be removed without damaging the exterior? Can you finish it off (stain/paint) and hide it with flowing vines and greenery/flowers? Hide the hose and spruce up the landscaping under the window. Seeing all the beautiful brick on one side and then the wood on the other kind of ruins the overall appearance. Maybe seed/fertilize the front yard grass to make it look as beautiful as the backyard? Maybe spruce the entry up a little too. The first impression needs to pop for the potential buyer.

It really is a very lovely house especially the interior (very well staged) and that gorgeous livable backyard. The front yard needs to draw the buyer inside. And with all that lovely brick it is almost there. :)

:iagree: with all of that. ETA: Missed the part that this was not the most current picture.

Also, there is a whole segment of the population that WANTS your house for accessibility, but they can't get into it with all of the steps and your bathrooms have this zig-zag traffic pattern which makes them harder to negotiate.

And Pie. Hell, I'll drive down for that; you're not so far. :001_smile:

I have long-range intentions of moving to VA. Do you happen to have 20 additional acres laying around? ;)

20 acres! In that area! :lol::lol: Show me the money!

Edited by KungFuPanda

20 acres! In that area! :lol::lol: Show me the money!

:D "You know I'm a dreamer, but my heart's of gold..."

At least I think that's how the song goes...:tongue_smilie:

our 1st house sat for maybe two months during the crazy peak of house-selling...we thought about lowering the price, but then we got an offer from one of the first people to see it during out open house. I guess he was waiting either for something better or for us to maybe drop our prices.

good luck, it will happen, your house is beautiful!

We bought a house that we had looked at 6 months prior and didn't want then. We actually wanted the house across the street and didn't like this one nearly as well for several reasons. Someone else's offer was accepted across the street and we moved on. Until we tired of trying to find a house (house hunting weary) and decided that we liked this particular neighborhood enough to buy the house we weren't crazy about. I still am not particularly crazy about our house in some ways, but I LOVE the neighborhood so I guess it evens out.

As a (hopefully SOON!) first time home buyer, I've done a *lot* of looking online.

First thing I look at is the kitchen. I can forgive a LOT if the kitchen is good.

I've seen rooms painted neon snot green. I'll freely admit that it makes me recoil in my chair.

But then, strong, bright colours like that literally give me migraines. So does a checkerboard pattern in tile/backsplash done in strong, contrasting colours. (I've seen black and white, red and white).

So yeah, paint and flooring can totally turn me off from a house.

Being sick until it's fixed wouldn't work for me.

Of course, those issues don't exist at Mariann's...just saying that somethings aren't just being picky.

To those who think that paint color doesn't matter: It's not about whether someone likes the paint. It's whether the house feels warm and homey.

I would take those appliances with me if you plan on buying them again. They are nice!!

:iagree: Ditto for the appliances!

If I am going to buy a house at market rate (not as a foreclosure or bargain), I expect a high level of cleanliness and aesthetics is very important. Even down to the furniture a person has. It is a guideline how well my furniture will fit. It also gives me an idea how well the house has been taken care of. Over crowdedness shouts cramped living space. Odd placed furniture makes me wonder what defect is hidden behind it (hole in wall or stain on floor?). Dirt and grungy furniture shout the house is neglected too. I do not want to have to go in and deep clean cabinets, windows, window sills, baseboards, fireplaces, or floor corners to get the grunge out. I just want to sanitize (no offense meant, previous owner :)).

It is VERY important to me what colors the walls are and how clean they are. I do not want to buy a house with dark color paint. It is way too much trouble and work to prime and double or triple paint and cut a room (or whole house) with a lighter/neutral color. It is not a fun easy task. And it is not cheap either. Rollers, brushes, tape, paint, tarps, etc add up. I would rather walk into a stark clean white walled house knowing how easily it will be to paint it in my color choices. And I certainly do not want to have to wash the walls of dirt and grunge before starting to paint either. Or have to repair/replace trim around doors and doorways because little Johnny slammed his big wheel one too many times into it. When I see tons of wall hangings and pictures on the walls, it screams holes to spackle, sand, and paint. I am going to repaint no matter what but I sure don't want it to be a project, kwim.

And I may not have extra money to put into repair jobs or new carpets etc. So paint/carpeting does matter. I hate carpet and do not have it in my home. I actually applaud first time home buyers who are picky. There is nothing worse than buying a home and not having the money to improve it or feeling trapped into a bad purchase because you didn't notice this defect or realize how bad the kitchen floor really was under that throw rug. Then having to live with it because you can't afford to replace it any time soon. I will never purchase a house with only one bathroom just because I know how hard it is to sell a house with only one bathroom. We had one house that did not have a garage and that was the number one reason why many buyers passed on that house.

The more a seller does to aesthetically make the house presentable minimizes the little things that potential buyers can overlook. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house- it is a huge investment. Why not be picky? Older homes do have the disadvantage over new turn key homes when buyers just want a move in ready home even if it costs more. Presentation and details matter.

Edited by Caledonia Academy

:iagree: Ditto for the appliances!

If I am going to buy a house at market rate (not as a foreclosure or bargain), I expect a high level of cleanliness and aesthetics is very important. Even down to the furniture a person has. It is a guideline how well my furniture will fit. It also gives me an idea how well the house has been taken care of. Over crowdedness shouts cramped living space. Odd placed furniture makes me wonder what defect is hidden behind it (hole in wall or stain on floor?). Dirt and grungy furniture shout the house is neglected too. I do not want to have to go in and deep clean cabinets, windows, window sills, baseboards, fireplaces, or floor corners to get the grunge out. I just want to sanitize (no offense meant, previous owner :)).

Wow..great advice! I'm about to list my house and you made me think of things I had not thought of! Thank you!

Now that's one I hadn't thought of -- THAT is dd 12's bath and didn't occur to me to make it neutral -- but that's a good suggestion and I could do it easily.

NOOO! I thought that bathroom was beautiful. I want to know where you got the decor!

Can I just pipe up one moment and say that it is possible to stage a house too much?

We are looking for a house & went out hunting yesterday-- one house was so decluttered and organized and fancy-- potted plants, cut flowers, vases, table set with crystal & china-- and also some sort of perfumy scent wafting around... It was a nice house, and in our price range, but it took me a while to appreciate that, because honestly my first thought was, whoa, this is way too fancy a place for us, we are not this kind of people, this is not the place for us.

Of course, all those things would not be there once the owners move out, and they are not really important at all! and I really should not base my impression on that, but still... that was my first impression.

Of course, those issues don't exist at Mariann's...just saying that somethings aren't just being picky.

My 'very nice day' turned into a 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day' --:glare: - so thank you for your nice words here and on FB.

You guys are in my prayers!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Mariann - I love your house. I'd buy it in a minute if I had the money. My dh works in Woodbridge, though, so it wouldn't really make sense to buy a house that has such easy access to DC. Still, I love it. Here's a little story to encourage you.

We bought a townhouse when we were first married. My dh owned a small parcel of land in the Shenandoah Valley, too. We put the land on the market in 1988 hoping to get some money to put down on a bigger house. In 1990 we gave up on ever selling the land (although we kept it listed) and decided to sell the townhouse since it had increased in value enough to make it worth it.

I kept the townhouse in spotless condition all the time for months just in case a realtor might stop by. Then I went to the beach with my relatives for a week. When I got home I dumped all the laundry from the week on the hallway floor near the washer and dryer. The house was a mess. I was a mess. I was exhausted and didn't care.

Then a realtor knocked on the door and said she had a prospective buyer. It was raining cats and dogs outside - a real thunderboomer - so I just let them in without taking a minute to straighten anything. The buyer walked through the house kind of quickly and about an hour later I got a call from my agent that he had made a full price offer. He apparently didn't seem to mind the mess. An hour or two later the agent in the Valley called to tell us that we had gotten a full price offer on our land. Two offers within hours of each other! If the land had not sold we would not have been able to afford the house we are in now.

All that to say, God has just the right buyer for your house. Your house is real gem.

Mariann - I love your house. I'd buy it in a minute if I had the money. My dh works in Woodbridge, though, so it wouldn't really make sense to buy a house that has such easy access to DC. Still, I love it. Here's a little story to encourage you.

We bought a townhouse when we were first married. My dh owned a small parcel of land in the Shenandoah Valley, too. We put the land on the market in 1988 hoping to get some money to put down on a bigger house. In 1990 we gave up on ever selling the land (although we kept it listed) and decided to sell the townhouse since it had increased in value enough to make it worth it.

I kept the townhouse in spotless condition all the time for months just in case a realtor might stop by. Then I went to the beach with my relatives for a week. When I got home I dumped all the laundry from the week on the hallway floor near the washer and dryer. The house was a mess. I was a mess. I was exhausted and didn't care.

Then a realtor knocked on the door and said she had a prospective buyer. It was raining cats and dogs outside - a real thunderboomer - so I just let them in without taking a minute to straighten anything. The buyer walked through the house kind of quickly and about an hour later I got a call from my agent that he had made a full price offer. He apparently didn't seem to mind the mess. An hour or two later the agent in the Valley called to tell us that we had gotten a full price offer on our land. Two offers within hours of each other! If the land had not sold we would not have been able to afford the house we are in now.

All that to say, God has just the right buyer for your house. Your house is real gem.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Awww, Kathleeen - thank you for such a wonderful story -- you guys were truly blessed. My mom tells me the same thing -- the day tht the house is a mess is the day the buyer will show up.

:)

I didn't realize your house had only been up for three weeks. It will definitely sell. It's only the beginning of February. People are just beginning to look at what's out there.

It's gorgeous. I love your decorating. I've been drooling over those mirrors since I first saw them this morning. Dh almost fell over when I agreed--finally--to consider window treatment in our home, based on your living room. Your floors are beautiful, and your rooms seem large for the house. I have a special fondness for this type of ranch house. :001_wub:

With everything you've done, your remodeling, landscaping, staging, it doesn't seem to make sense to try to do much more. Someone will not like something.

You are very strategically priced. (I looked at your area on realtor.com.) I am in southern VA, and I would never consider a contingent contract either.

Your house WILL sell. It's hard to get out of that mindset from the last two decades that a great house will sell super fast. It only takes one person to love your house and make that offer, that one person who will love your house as much as you do. Let's just hope it's not the person for whom you decide to leave dog biscuits.:lol:

(And where did you get those mirrors?)

I didn't realize your house had only been up for three weeks. It will definitely sell. It's only the beginning of February. People are just beginning to look at what's out there.

It's gorgeous. I love your decorating. I've been drooling over those mirrors since I first saw them this morning. Dh almost fell over when I agreed--finally--to consider window treatment in our home, based on your living room. Your floors are beautiful, and your rooms seem large for the house. I have a special fondness for this type of ranch house. :001_wub:

With everything you've done, your remodeling, landscaping, staging, it doesn't seem to make sense to try to do much more. Someone will not like something.

You are very strategically priced. (I looked at your area on realtor.com.) I am in southern VA, and I would never consider a contingent contract either.

Your house WILL sell. It's hard to get out of that mindset from the last two decades that a great house will sell super fast. It only takes one person to love your house and make that offer, that one person who will love your house as much as you do. Let's just hope it's not the person for whom you decide to leave dog biscuits.:lol:

(And where did you get those mirrors?)

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful encouragement -- thank you! Mirrors from HomeGoods - in fact, just about everything from HomeGoods.:001_smile:

Wow! Your house is gorgeous. That screened in porch is amazing and your living room is very tastefully done. The back yard is really lovely.

Just a few observations from the listing and pictures. Feel free to pick through and disregard at will!

I agree with others that some of the pictures need to be retaken. I know it seems nit picky, but it would be a shame for someone to get the wrong impression of your lovely home because of a detail overlooked in the pictures.

I agree with others about the unpainted planter in your first outside picture. It stood out to me as well. It sounds like it's been taken care of, so your listing picture should be updated.

I'd take out the extra chairs in the dining room. To me, it says, there's not enough room to expand the table and include the chairs. Or I'd just expand the table and include the chairs and leave the corners clear. I know smaller is better for staging, but the extra chairs seem to counteract the roominess factor.

I think your kitchen is really cute. I think the contrast of country and high end appliances is fun and fresh. BUT, I know a lot of other people who wouldn't think so. A lot of folks who would love the clean modern lines of stainless and the retro-mod stove also hate country. And folks who love a country, folksy feel often hate stainless. Obviously you can't please everyone, but since the high end appliances are staying and are a selling point for the home, I think I'd play up that side of things and remove most of the country wall hangings, especially the roosters, and play up the streamlined aspects of the kitchen.

The pictures in the bathrooms include lots of details like toilet tissue holders and filled trash cans and pipes behind the sinks. The picture in the black & white bathroom shows mostly empty white space and an open shower curtain. I know it can be hard to get pictures of rooms with limited space, but they can be framed to show off a few important details and retain the "feel" you are going for without showing the less lovely parts.

Same issue with the kids bedrooms. Compared to your beautiful living areas and master bedroom, the stark and slightly disheveled look really stands out. Small details like a box under the bed and plastic container on the table in the girl's room and a purse on the floor near the daybed, and the beds that look hastily made all detract from the rooms IMO. I don't think these things matter so much for in person showings, because people realize they are kids rooms and that people actually live in the house. But for first impressions and pictures on the listing, I'd probably try to stage at least a portion of each room and get pictures that really match the feel of the rest of your house.

The lower level also really stands out in contrast to the rest of your home. I'd probably try to restage the furniture, highlight the fireplace more, maybe get some slipcovers for the furniture, and definitely lose the dog bowls in the pictures. It stinks, because we all know it's where our older furniture goes and is meant to be more lived in and casual than other areas of the house. But simply from a impressions standpoint, you don't want your pictures to make your living and dining room and kitchen seem like the anomaly in the house. I'd try to make a more pleasing presentation in the basement for picture's sake and take fewer pictures. Again, I do think sellers are more forgiving in person (we all want toilets and plumbing in our homes, but do we really want to see pictures of them?), but you want your pictures to just show the highlights of your home, not every detail.

My last thought is that the description of your home could really use some rewriting. Too many capitals and exclamation points make my head hurt and it's hard to read. I also think buyers will be interested in why you are selling your home for more than you bought it for just a few years ago, especially in this market. The listing description could allay this concern by stating something like "Living, Dining and Kitchen all completely remodeled in the last two years. AGA range, Bosch Dishwasher and Subzero refrigerator all remain with the home." That way, buyers who are comparing your home to foreclosures that need a lot of work have something to think about with your home in contrast. Yes, it may cost more up front, but the remodeling has already been done and the kitchen appliances are already updated.

I hope I haven't been too forward. Overall, your home is gorgeous and I'm sure the right buyer will come along in time. I could live forever on your porch and rambling in the yard!

Wow! Your house is gorgeous. That screened in porch is amazing and your living room is very tastefully done. The back yard is really lovely.

Just a few observations from the listing and pictures. Feel free to pick through and disregard at will!

I agree with others that some of the pictures need to be retaken. I know it seems nit picky, but it would be a shame for someone to get the wrong impression of your lovely home because of a detail overlooked in the pictures.

I agree with others about the unpainted planter in your first outside picture. It stood out to me as well. It sounds like it's been taken care of, so your listing picture should be updated.

I'd take out the extra chairs in the dining room. To me, it says, there's not enough room to expand the table and include the chairs. Or I'd just expand the table and include the chairs and leave the corners clear. I know smaller is better for staging, but the extra chairs seem to counteract the roominess factor.

I think your kitchen is really cute. I think the contrast of country and high end appliances is fun and fresh. BUT, I know a lot of other people who wouldn't think so. A lot of folks who would love the clean modern lines of stainless and the retro-mod stove also hate country. And folks who love a country, folksy feel often hate stainless. Obviously you can't please everyone, but since the high end appliances are staying and are a selling point for the home, I think I'd play up that side of things and remove most of the country wall hangings, especially the roosters, and play up the streamlined aspects of the kitchen.

The pictures in the bathrooms include lots of details like toilet tissue holders and filled trash cans and pipes behind the sinks. The picture in the black & white bathroom shows mostly empty white space and an open shower curtain. I know it can be hard to get pictures of rooms with limited space, but they can be framed to show off a few important details and retain the "feel" you are going for without showing the less lovely parts.

Same issue with the kids bedrooms. Compared to your beautiful living areas and master bedroom, the stark and slightly disheveled look really stands out. Small details like a box under the bed and plastic container on the table in the girl's room and a purse on the floor near the daybed, and the beds that look hastily made all detract from the rooms IMO. I don't think these things matter so much for in person showings, because people realize they are kids rooms and that people actually live in the house. But for first impressions and pictures on the listing, I'd probably try to stage at least a portion of each room and get pictures that really match the feel of the rest of your house.

The lower level also really stands out in contrast to the rest of your home. I'd probably try to restage the furniture, highlight the fireplace more, maybe get some slipcovers for the furniture, and definitely lose the dog bowls in the pictures. It stinks, because we all know it's where our older furniture goes and is meant to be more lived in and casual than other areas of the house. But simply from a impressions standpoint, you don't want your pictures to make your living and dining room and kitchen seem like the anomaly in the house. I'd try to make a more pleasing presentation in the basement for picture's sake and take fewer pictures. Again, I do think sellers are more forgiving in person (we all want toilets and plumbing in our homes, but do we really want to see pictures of them?), but you want your pictures to just show the highlights of your home, not every detail.

My last thought is that the description of your home could really use some rewriting. Too many capitals and exclamation points make my head hurt and it's hard to read. I also think buyers will be interested in why you are selling your home for more than you bought it for just a few years ago, especially in this market. The listing description could allay this concern by stating something like "Living, Dining and Kitchen all completely remodeled in the last two years. AGA range, Bosch Dishwasher and Subzero refrigerator all remain with the home." That way, buyers who are comparing your home to foreclosures that need a lot of work have something to think about with your home in contrast. Yes, it may cost more up front, but the remodeling has already been done and the kitchen appliances are already updated.

I hope I haven't been too forward. Overall, your home is gorgeous and I'm sure the right buyer will come along in time. I could live forever on your porch and rambling in the yard!

Thank you -- I am going to print this out and highlight stuff - excellent points that I have in fact made to our agent -- the stuff in dd's bedroom that landed in the photo that I wished hadn't.

And, you made a point that no one has made as clearly as you -- the incongruity of the high end stainless with the 'legacy' range and country french rooster photos -- very well stated. Thank you.

I apprciate your taking the time to share your observations. Thanks again.:)

Thank you -- I am going to print this out and highlight stuff - excellent points that I have in fact made to our agent -- the stuff in dd's bedroom that landed in the photo that I wished hadn't.

And, you made a point that no one has made as clearly as you -- the incongruity of the high end stainless with the 'legacy' range and country french rooster photos -- very well stated. Thank you.

I apprciate your taking the time to share your observations. Thanks again.:)

Not to quibble, but I don't agree with the PP on the bolded point. The current French Country style often (or always) has stainless appliances and the designer-looking range looks congruent with it to me. Roosters are a hallmark decorating accent in french country style AFAIK.

I do agree with the points made about tidiness details.

Not to quibble, but I don't agree with the PP on the bolded point. The current French Country style often (or always) has stainless appliances and the designer-looking range looks congruent with it to me. Roosters are a hallmark decorating accent in french country style AFAIK.

I do agree with the points made about tidiness details.

THAT does make me feel better about using the french country and the stainless and the legacy range all in the same room.

Truthfully, as far as kitchen art work, whatever homegoods has that goes well in my opinion, is what comes to live here.

And, yes, we weren't tidied up for the photos and our agent didn't mind.

Jinnah -- Oh, thank you! We got all the whale and teal stuff at target -- it may even still be there! Thanks again!:)

Thanks! I wound up ordering some of that collection (and the similar whale collection) last night. They have 15% off right now (and free shipping for orders over $75) for anyone else who liked it!

Anyway, I forgot to tell you how much I love your house. I wish we could move out there and buy it... I really would. It is beautiful, and that patio makes it too good to pass up. I'm actually wondering if you are a little nuts because you are selling it! ;)