Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 6

Finally finished Fahrenheit 451. It was okay. Not at all what I was expecting. It felt more anti-mindless entertainment than pro book to me. I had trouble following some of Bradbury's dialog. I would be in the middle of a conversation and have to reread to figure out who was talking to whom. It was like he had characters developed in his mind, but forgot to make that developement clear to the reader.

Book list for 2012

Animal Farm

Nineteen Eighty-four

Faherenheit 451

Still reading Hidden Mickey 3 and don't like it at all. Mom, see how much I love you.

Starting The Pilgrim's Progress.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still running behind (it's too soon to be behind!!!), but I did something to catch up this week - 2 books.

3. 11/22/63 by Stephen King - very interesting. I seem to get hung up on number of pages, but for me to read an 850 page book in 1 1/2 weeks means that the book is good!

4. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - I'm joining the group that is not a fan. I thought some of the pictures were interesting, but I found the writing vulgur and immature. The only thing that was good about this book was that I was able to get through it in 4 days so I didn't waste too much time on it!

Off to read Some Wildflower in My Heart by Jamie Langston Turner for my bookclub this month. She's one of my FAVORITE authors, and this is a re-read for me, so I know I will enjoy this one :001_smile:

Kathy

I learned the strangest thing about Dickens on our NYC trip in December. The NY Public Library had a great '100 Years' exhibit & they displayed Dickens' letter opener -- made from his beloved cat Bob's paw.... :tongue_smilie: It was certainly a unique desk accessory. Just something to keep in mind next time you're reading Dickens.... ;)

Um, wow. That's eccentric.

Girl Who Chased was my first Sarah Addison Allen read. After reading through the wrap up thread from 2011's 52 challenge, I couldn't believe how many times her books were mentioned, so I thought I'd give one a go. Very fun read. It was so easy for me to picture the characters and the scenery. I look forward to exploring this new (to me) author.

I just finished Garden Spells by the same author for the same reason that everyone was talking about her books. Eh. I don't think I'll read any more of her. Predictable, cliche, and well...boring.

In light of the Rigor Thread (loving it - needed so inspiration) going to reread Thomas Jefferson Education and adding The Student Whisperer to my tbr pile and putting it at the top of the stack.

I've added this to my list.

Unfortunately, I did not finish last week's book - a very trying week ... Still reading:

#6 - Davita's Harp, by Chaim Potok.

One of my favorite authors of all time so you have my permission to take it slow and relax in it. :001_smile:

And I hope this is a GOOD week coming up for you! :grouphug:

One of my favorite authors of all time so you have my permission to take it slow and relax in it. :001_smile:

And I hope this is a GOOD week coming up for you! :grouphug:

Thank you! I hope so, too. :001_smile:

On the rare occasion that I've had to read a page or two, I have enjoyed Davita's Harp so far. I am hoping the library will get My Name is Asher Lev, which is a book about which I've heard lots of good things - the library has the sequel but not this. :glare: When I checked out Davita's Harp, the library assistant made a point of telling me Potok was her favorite author and I really should read Asher Lev. When I told her they didn't have it, she was stunned. She checked their holdings, and made a note . . . so I think she may be requesting it . . . :)

It's been ages since I read Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. Like you. I also preferred Pillars - much more :). WWE was good, but not nearly as good, IMHO.

No, Fall of Giants doesn't have any use of sadistic woman. Obviously, there are some jerks, but not as painful as Pillars and WWE.

I love Fall of Giants, but I also happen to love Ken Follett. Mind you, Pillars is far better than Fall of Giants. Pillars is probably one of his all-time best books, IMHO.

Thanks. I do like Follett much of the time, so I may just give this one a try.

Have you read The Book Thief before? It's in my top 5 favorite books.

It was one of the better ones I read in 2011.

I read and absolutely loved all of these:

Bel Canto - thank you, Stacia! :D

9780060838720.jpg

Have I already mentioned that I remember really liking this one? I must have read it about 5 years ago or so.

Well, so far I can recommend The Peach Keeper as a big thumbs up!

Hey, I just clicked on your blog and was happy to see that you've updated it. Your dd is adorable!

Okay, as for me, I'm going to finish books 3 & 4 very soon (one of them tonight) and am not worried as I plan to catch up when we go on holidays later this year. I did give up on Moby Dick as I just don't understand why I liked it so much when I was in high school--you'd think it would be the other way around. I read it just for fun, too, back then.

Does anyone know why Oliver Twist is on The Well-Educated Mind list rather than any number of other Dickens works?

I am looking for minimally depressing Dickens, but (still) having trouble deciding on one. By minimally depressing, I mean as few starving, orphaned children as possible. I've read Bleak House, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, and Our Mutual Friend already.

Book #5 completed today: Life is a Miracle by Wendell Berry. I am also listening to The Help. I started out with the printed book, but decided to try the audio, and am glad I did. The different voices really seem to bring the characters alive. :)

Robin, I think I will join you and read Oliver Twist. My sister gave me a lovely edition which I have yet to read, and it looks a bit less intimidating than the Nicolas Nicolby sitting beside it. :lol:

Edited by ariasmommy

I had a non-reading week last week. :001_huh: I just could not get into anything!

I think I need to pick up something short, easy and fun just to get back into the groove.

Dickens? What's the shortest thing I can read by him?;) I read Great Expectations a few years ago but often got annoyed by the wordiness. I really liked it over all.

I may need to do a quick re-read of The Book Thief. My college kid mentioned he's been reading it. He said he thought that it would be something he and I would enjoy discussing together. He never reads fiction so I'm touched he would think of me. He knows it's one of my all time favorites!:)

I had a great reading week last week. Lots of fiction which always goes fast for me.

I finished

#9 The Taking By Dean Koontz

#10 Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires book #5)

#11 Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires book #6)

#12 Fade Out (Morganville Vampires book #7)

As you can see I am reading right through the whole series of the morganville vampires. It is brain candy and once I get going on a series I seldom read much more until I get through the whole set.

I have made it half way through my audio book of Moby Dick. And we are also about half way through the Audio book of Halo that we have been listening to in the car. Started reading book #8 in the Morganville series today and will probably be done tomorrow.

I put my nonfiction titles aside this past week, hoping to pick them back up this coming week. Also still need to start on Ahab's wife, but couldn't bring myself to do it last week, I was exhausted most of the week so easy fiction was calling my name, nothing I had to actually think about.

I'm on book 6, which I've read 3/4 of today.

Book 5 was The 11th Plague. It's a dystopian YA novel listed on The Hunger Games website as "if you like The Hunger Games, you might like..." It was ok.

I'm currently reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It was in a list our library has of books you might like if you like The Hunger Games. See a theme here? This one has held my attention for about 6 hours today. It's about a 17 year old girl who wakes up from a coma after a severe accident. The book explores bio-medical ethics.

I'm on book 6, which I've read 3/4 of today.

Book 5 was The 11th Plague. It's a dystopian YA novel listed on The Hunger Games website as "if you like The Hunger Games, you might like..." It was ok.

I'm currently reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It was in a list our library has of books you might like if you like The Hunger Games. See a theme here? This one has held my attention for about 6 hours today. It's about a 17 year old girl who wakes up from a coma after a severe accident. The book explores bio-medical ethics.

I added these to my list at the library...Thanks for sharing Joann....

I may need to do a quick re-read of The Book Thief. My college kid mentioned he's been reading it. He said he thought that it would be something he and I would enjoy discussing together. He never reads fiction so I'm touched he would think of me. He knows it's one of my all time favorites!:)

Do reread that and discuss it with me! :)

Then I'll be all prepared for book club.

I'm about to finish Embassytown, by China Mieville

**slight spoliers***

The book is very strange. It's a sci-fi, but it's the plot that is just weird. It has to do with these aliens getting a drug-fix on the translation of their language by a new Ambassador. That and them trying to learn to lie by changing similes to metaphors or using the same simile in a contradictory nature. Just bizarre.

I'm making myself finish it. I have about 80 pages left and 3 days to read them. I borrowed it from the library via Kindle so it will disappear after that.

It may be a while before I attempt another sci-fi.

This week I finished:

10. Senior High: A Home-Designed Form-U-La (Shelton)

11. Cherokee Rose (Lacy)

12. Bright Are the Stars (Lacy)

Cherokee Rose and Bright Are the Stars are the first two books in a trilogy. And the nicest thing I can say about them is "meh". I'll finish the third one though, so I can take them all in for credit to the used book store.

This week I started Don Quixote and we're finishing up HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban as our read-aloud.

Denise

Sorry, I'm slow to remember to post... Here's my list so far this year...

1. An Audience of Chairs by Joan Clark

2. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

3. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

4. The Twelfth Imam by Joel C Rosenburg

5. World Without End by Ken Follet

6. Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The only good thing about being sick is extra time in bed reading... :)

Heather

Edited by Heather R
spelling

I finished book 5 this week, a reread of Sink Reflections by Cilley, and posted a few comments on my blog. There's a link to my previous and much more detailed review in the post. Up next, Sayer's The Song of Roland and Henty's Winning His Spurs.

Books for 2012

4. A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare

3. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Verne

2. Beowulf by Heaney

1. Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half by Economides

I finished "The Lovely Bones" Saturday, and wasn't too fond of it.

Still am reading:

Open by Andre Agassi (really good, nearly finished)

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr (ok, haven't gotten too far yet)

Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer (pretty good, about 60% done, haven't had much time)

Once I finish Open I plan on starting The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I'm still reading Catherine the Great. I've also been reading the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother when I need a break from Russia. I hope to finish at least one of them this week.

52/52

5. God's Smuggler by John Sherrill and Brother Andrew

4. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Auste

Thank you! I hope so, too. :001_smile:

....... the library assistant made a point of telling me Potok was her favorite author and I really should read Asher Lev. When I told her they didn't have it, she was stunned. She checked their holdings, and made a note . . . so I think she may be requesting it . . . :)

Ooo, ooo, don't overlook The Chosen by Potok. While I enjoyed Asher Lev, I liked this one even more!

Anna Karenina put my brain on overload so I went a little easy this week. I finished One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys.

I enjoyed One Thousand Gifts much more than I thought I would. She had some real "C.S. Lewis moments" in it. Henrietta's War was sooooo funny!!! I read it after seeing it on Dangermom's blog and I was not disappointed. Henrietta manages to turn a potential dangerous situation (wartime in England) into a comedy. There were many times when I laughed aloud! Thanks, Dangermom, for your review which inspired me to read it. It reminded me of Three Men in a Boat and The Diary of a Nobody, which are among my favourite books.

Right now I'm embarrassed to admit to the number of books I have on the go ....... The Iliad, Much Ado About Nothing, A Tale of Two Cities, King Lear, and Cicero's Defense Speeches are a few of them .... :blushing:

Books Read in 2012

1. The Book of the Ancient Greeks - Dorothy Mills

2. A Midsummer Night's Dream - William Shakespeare

3. Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery

4. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

5. The Forgotten Affairs of Youth - Alexander McCall Smith

6. The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien

7. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

8. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

9. Henrietta's War - Joyce Dennys

Completed

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series).

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series). I'm waiting for the last one, "Into the Dreaming," to come in via interlibrary loan, and then I'll be finished with the series. :D

Current

7. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks.

"In London, a young woman uses cutting-edge technology to elude detection by the thousands of surveillance cameras that watch the city. In New York, a secret shadow organization uses a victim's own GPS to hunt him down and kill him. In Los Angeles, a motorcycle messenger with a haunted past takes pains to live "off the Grid" - free of credit cards and government IDs. Welcome to the world of The Traveler- a world frighteningly like our own."

Stacia!!!!!!!!!!

I logged on to read last night and my kindle went nuts. Thank you so very much!!

I only got my kindle in December and I've never had a gift sent to me for it. I was terrfied there for a few minutes that I rolled over on it and ordered my entire wish list.

Then I read my amazon message and giggled. THANK YOU!!!

I finished "What the Dog Saw" last night. This was my first Malcolm Gladwell book and I will definitely be reading more of his books. I love his writing!

Book #7 is 'State of Wonder' by Ann Patchett and then I am finally going to be reading the latest Flavia de Luce book (I am Half Sick of Shadows.) It is waiting for me at the library. Oh Joy!

I finished "What the Dog Saw" last night. This was my first Malcolm Gladwell book and I will definitely be reading more of his books. I love his writing!

He's a fabulous writer. :D

This is the only one I haven't yet read, I think. My dh has read and loved them all and he's very, very picky about what he reads.

On the nightstand

DSC_0017.JPG

â–  Our Town (Thornton Wilder)

Play. As with The Crucible (see last week's "On the nightstand"), I read this play in high school and college, then revisited it eight years ago, when my son was fourteen, the age my youngest is now. Over the past week, I returned to it yet again, this time in the company of the Misses. Related entry: "It takes life to love Life."

â–  A Mass for the Dead (William Gibson)

Fiction. I pulled this down from the shelves after reading Girl Detective's challenge. She asks for a favorite book but then writes, "Gun to the head, about to depart for a desert island. What book (not the Bible or collected works of Shakespeare, but one work) do you pick?" Well, under those circumstances, I'd pick a book I'd always meant to read but had never gotten around to -- not a favorite (especially since I wouldn't be allowed to grab my Pelican Shakespeare).

â–  The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains (Nicholas Carr)

Non-fiction. Nearly done.

â–  Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Susan Cain)

Non-fiction. Nearly done. Related entry here.

â–  Kill Shakespeare, Volume 1 (Conor McCreery)

â–  Kill Shakespeare, Volume 2 (Conor McCreery)

Graphic fiction. Speaking of Girl Detective, I had thought that she was the one who prompted me to pick up Volume 1 last February, but I can't find a link on her site, and Yahoo! is proving most uncooperative this morning, so I can't search my mail archive. Well, Kill Shakespeare has made its way back onto the TBR pile, courtesy of Magnificent Octopus and, more recently, So Many Books.

Not pictured:

â–  Wool 5 (Hugh Howey)

Fiction. A satisfying conclusion to an compelling cycle. Wool deserves a much wider audience. Amazon Prime folk, you can read these books free on your Kindles. Non-Prime? We're talking ninety-nine cents for each of the first four volumes (on the Kindle); $2.99 for the final installment.

â–  Stop Acting Rich... And Start Living Like a Real Millionaire (Thomas J. Stanley)

Non-fiction. Read this one on the Kindle and the iPad, whichever was within reach. Although it rehashes much of the data and ideas presented in The Millionaire Next Door, this volume offers excellent "sound bytes" parents can share with their children.

You can act rich or actually become rich. Few of us will ever be able to do both, and we certainly won't get rich by acting the part before we have the financial resources with which to pay for la dolce vita.

We live in a time when it has never been easier to act rich than to actually become rich, even with the devastation of the financial crisis. At the end of the day, not only are we bad actors because it is simply impossible for us to keep up with the glittering rich (if we buy one expensive, prestige car, they buy 20), but we are terribly misguided and ill informed about how millionaires really spend and what they actually buy.

We learn how to manage money (or not) in our families of origin. Let's arm our young people with alternatives to "Buy! Buy! Buy!"

Read in 2012

#16 Stop Acting Rich... And Start Living Like a Real Millionaire (Thomas J. Stanley; non-fiction)

#15 Our Town (Thornton Wilder; play)

#14 Wool 5 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#13 The Crucible (Arthur Miller; play)

#12 Wool 4 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#11 Wool 3 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#10 Adventure Unleashed (______ __. _________; unpublished fiction)

#9 Wool 2 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#8 Wool (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#7 The Project (Brian Falkner; YA fiction)

#6 Like Shaking Hands with God (Kurt Vonnegut, Lee Stringer; non-fiction)

#5 The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

#4 Feed (MT Anderson; fiction)

#3 Coriolanus (William Shakespeare; play, classic)

#2 Artist's Journal Workshop (Cathy Johnson; non-fiction, art)

#1 The English Teacher (Lily King; fiction)

I finished Beastchild by Dean Koontz. It is a very early work of his, and I really liked it. Still felt like Koontz, but is was a bit different (more sci-fi). It actually reminded me a bit of The Host by Stephanie Meyer, which I also enjoyed. Similar topic, and themes.

Now, I am still working on Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which is already quite a bit different than the movie, and I am only a couple chapters in. It is also a bit of a challenge to follow. If you have seen the movie, the book is written much like the boy talks...very stream of consciousness-type feel.

I have seen Protecting the Gift mentioned over and over on the boards, and it finally came in at the library, so I am tackling that too. So far, it is really interesting.

Here is my completed list:

Here is my completed list:

6. Beastchild-Dean Koontz

5. We Bought a Zoo-Benjamin Mee

4. The Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins

3. Ahab's Wife -Sena Jeter Naslund

2. When Will There Be Good News -Kate Atkinson

1. 77 Shadow Street -Dean Koontz

I really like books that make me laugh...which I need right now.

Faithe,

A couple of suggestions --

The Don Camillo books are a light enjoyable read. They are a series of about six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back.

The first in the series is The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. There are a number of equally enjoyable sequels.

Books by Bill Bryson are another possibility. He writes non-fiction that is usually entertaining; lots of travel books as well as books about language and a recent biography of Shakespeare. One of my favorites is The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way.

Regards,

Kareni

The only good thing to come out of reading #8 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is the realization that I should keep my distance from best sellers and stick with time tested literature. Anyone want to join my "I Only Read Dead Authors" club? OK--maybe I do not need to go to this extreme, but I do think I'll stick to literary classics with a little non-fiction on the side for a while.

Your club members can wear this shirt.

I hope you'll enjoy your next book more than MPHfPC.

Regards,

Kareni

I think I'm ready to take the plunge into a Book a Week. I did it in college with books I didn't really like, I can definitely do it with literature. I don't set enough of a good reading example to my kids and I just plain miss reading. Thank you for the inspiration. :)