Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 6

I don't seem to know how to count. I'm on week 5 instead of 6.

Oh well.

The only bad thing about this book-a-week is that some weeks while I'm reading I'm distracted by thoughts of the coming week's reading.

It's like cheating on a boyfriend.

Don't make it so hard. This is supposed to be fun.

The only good thing to come out of reading #8 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is the realization that I should keep my distance from best sellers and stick with time tested literature. Anyone want to join my "I Only Read Dead Authors" club? OK--maybe I do not need to go to this extreme, but I do think I'll stick to literary classics with a little non-fiction on the side for a while.

I feel the exact same way.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm ready to take the plunge into a Book a Week. I did it in college with books I didn't really like, I can definitely do it with literature. I don't set enough of a good reading example to my kids and I just plain miss reading. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

Glad you decided to jump in. Happy Reading!

#12. Simple Country Wisdom by Susan Waggoner

----

From my blog:

Nice, common sense tips for keeping your home. It's full of wonderful pictures - that alone makes the book!

----

It's feast or famine here. Either none of the books are in at the library, or NINE of them come in at once. :001_huh: It's feast right now. :D Now I just need to find more time.

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~gardening, another well organized book regarding common plants that work well in shade. Easy to browse.

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~gardening, well-organized book of the 100 most common perennials that work in zones 4 and above.

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~fiction, a series of four murder cases, all of them cold cases unravel, form and reform to a conclusion. If you like character-driven novels this is excellent. People are random, trivial, emotional, real. Very good, but somehow the ending was a bit disappointing. Recommended.

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction, a female scientist travels to Yellowstone in order take part in a botanical survey.

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction, a book of inter-connecting short stories focused on the Indiana winter home of a circus.

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry, a Brazilian poet with a sensual style, but also a very deep faith in God.

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction about the cultural difficulties of Amer medicine by a Hmong child with a seizure disorder.

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction about the Cheyenne request for white brides in order to unite the two cultures.

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~a plucky governess tutors 3 children who were raised by wolves.

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester (read aloud)~boy takes a car through a mysterious tollbooth into a strange world.

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery, first US attempt at profiling a serial killer by a psychiatrist (known as an alienist) and friends.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book.

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction, following several arty, progressive families from the late Victorian period through WWI.

In progress:

Fire Upon the Deep (Vinge)

Ender's Game (Card)

Vikings in the Attic (Dregni)

Home to Woefield (Juby)

I finished 2 books last week.

Mindset by Carol Dweck was a great book. After learning about the difference between fixed and growth mindsets I could see how my mindset has affected so many decisions I've made. Now that I can recognize it, I can change it. A great book for anyone interested in reading more about how your attitude toward your talents and abilities affects your performance.

The other book was The Walk by Richard Paul Evans. Parts of the story are a bit unbelievable but it was entertaining and I enjoyed it for the most part. A tragedy befalls the main character and he decides to walk from Washington to Florida. The story begins in Washington, where I live, and I enjoyed following him across the state and picturing the places he encountered along the way. I think there are 2 more books in the series out so far. I plan to read them.

This week's book is Brain Jack by Brian Falkner. I found it in the teen section of the library as I was helping my 12yo look for books. I couldn't pass it up when I read the back cover:

"Right now, as you read this, I am sifting through the contents of your computer. Yes, your computer. You. The one holding this book.

You could race over and turn your computer off, but you'd already be too late.

I could delete a few files, but I probably won't. I could change your passwords and lock you out of your system, but I can't be bothered. I am not malicious or evil, or even particularly bad.

I'll just quietly leave, and erase all trace that I was ever there.

But I know you now. I know who you are. I know where you live. I know what you've got. And if the time comes that I need something from you, something that you might or might not want to give up, I'll be back.

The time is coming. Sooner than you think."

Well, that grabbed my attention! So far, so good.

I am on a amish kick right now. I also still have the same several going from last week.

13) Growing up Amish by Beth Wiseman

12) Ella's Wish By Jerry Eicher

11) Growing up Amish by Ira Wagler

10) The Healing by Wanda Brunstetter

9) Christmas in Sugarcreek by Shelley Shepard Gray

8) The Dark Tide

7) Little Men, Louisa May Alcott on Audio

6) Winter of the Red Snow.

5) The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory.

4) A Wedding Quilt for Ella by Jerry Eicher

3) Longing by Karen Kingsbury.

2) Little Women by Alcott

1) Midummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare

Although I haven't read this, we LOVED the movie. Dh read the book. He loved it. :)

It's been several years since I've read Dickens. I quickly remembered last night why I like him so much. What a difference from Bradbury. ;)

Is there only one versio of the movie? Off to check Netflix.

Just finished Confessions of a Prairie B*tch. Love..love ...love. Alison Arnigram. The book was difficult to read because of s*dual abuse...but she is such a positive person. Inspirational in a weird way. Now, I have to read Melissa Sue Anderson's book:D. I heard terrible reviews, but it is cheap through Amazon.

Faithe

I'm still making my way through One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I really have to digest this chapter by chapter.

I'm 90% done (according to my Kindle) The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey. I'll finish it tonight. It takes place in Ireland in the early 1900s through the 1930s. It's been a fascinating read from a historical perspective, and I really like the main character. Her life has been difficult, but she's tough as nails and her coming of age during all of this has been in interesting journey of betrayal, loss, perseverance, and eventually a level of contentment. I found myself up until 1 AM this morning because I couldn't put down.

So far...

• Radical by David Platt
  • Made to Crave by Lysa Terkhurst
  • The Eve Tree by Rachel Devenish Ford
  • Breaking TWIG by Deborah Epperson
  • Chasing Rainbows by Kathleen Long
  • Clockwise by Elle Strauss
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach by Vincent Monastra
  • Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos
  • The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey

"Maybe there should be types of gardener who visit bookish old men to trim and prune and generally tidy them up occasionally, because the real and actual Dr Trey Fidorous was as overgrown and tangled as an abandoned allotment. His thick salt-and-pepper hair had grown beyond Einstein-esque into a sort of mad rogue plume. A pen between his teeth, two tucked behind his ears and several others tucked and knotted and sticking out of his wild hair, made his head look like one of those deceptively fluffy cactuses. Blue, black, red and green biro writing covered the backs of his hands, creeper-vined its way up around wrists and forearms, and towards his rolled-up shirtsleeves, which themselves hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been entirely spared. Scrumpled chunks of paper and collected pages bulged from the pockets of his black schoolboy trousers and patchy threadbare dressing gown. He was smallish and probably somewhere in his late sixties. The harsh light from the single bulb didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make it down through his hair canopy too well and the effect was like looking at a man who was peering out at you from the depths of a wardrobe. What I could see of his face was wrinkled and brown like an elastic band ball, only more active and capable Ă¢â‚¬â€œ it reminded me of one of those big springs that can go stairs on its own Ă¢â‚¬â€œ and I got the feeling it had spent a lifetime begin stretched around expressions of shock, delight, horror and God knows what else. All I could see of his eyes were a big pair of glasses with black plastic frames, like the ones Michael Caine wore in the sixties."

from The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

Faithe,

A couple of suggestions --

The Don Camillo books are a light enjoyable read. They are a series of about six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back.

The first in the series is The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. There are a number of equally enjoyable sequels.

Books by Bill Bryson are another possibility. He writes non-fiction that is usually entertaining; lots of travel books as well as books about language and a recent biography of Shakespeare. One of my favorites is The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Kareni.....I will check them out. I thave read a few by Bryson...and really enjoyed them.

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe
Stupid iPad keyboard

Just finished Confessions of a Prairie B*tch. Love..love ...love. Alison Arnigram. The book was difficult to read because of s*dual abuse...but she is such a positive person. Inspirational in a weird way.

Faithe, I LOVED that book! :D The s*xual abuse was hard, but she really is positive and strong about it. She's the type of person that I would love to have as a friend. She's a riot. :D

I keep remembering that part where she calls her dad to warn him about being on Larry King and his hilarious reaction. :tongue_smilie: :lol:

"Maybe there should be types of gardener who visit bookish old men to trim and prune and generally tidy them up occasionally, because the real and actual Dr Trey Fidorous was as overgrown and tangled as an abandoned allotment. His thick salt-and-pepper hair had grown beyond Einstein-esque into a sort of mad rogue plume. A pen between his teeth, two tucked behind his ears and several others tucked and knotted and sticking out of his wild hair, made his head look like one of those deceptively fluffy cactuses. Blue, black, red and green biro writing covered the backs of his hands, creeper-vined its way up around wrists and forearms, and towards his rolled-up shirtsleeves, which themselves hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been entirely spared. Scrumpled chunks of paper and collected pages bulged from the pockets of his black schoolboy trousers and patchy threadbare dressing gown. He was smallish and probably somewhere in his late sixties. The harsh light from the single bulb didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make it down through his hair canopy too well and the effect was like looking at a man who was peering out at you from the depths of a wardrobe. What I could see of his face was wrinkled and brown like an elastic band ball, only more active and capable Ă¢â‚¬â€œ it reminded me of one of those big springs that can go stairs on its own Ă¢â‚¬â€œ and I got the feeling it had spent a lifetime begin stretched around expressions of shock, delight, horror and God knows what else. All I could see of his eyes were a big pair of glasses with black plastic frames, like the ones Michael Caine wore in the sixties."

from The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

Great teaser. Just checked it out on amazon and added it to my wishlist. :)

Slowly working on:

"The Wives of Henry VIII" by Antonia Fraser (I'm almost done with wife one, Catherine of Aragon.)

"Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight" by Sharon Heller

"The Life and Teachings of The New Testament Apostles" ed. by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel & Thomas A. Wayment

Completed:

Booke #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters

I am on a amish kick right now.

I read a book about Amish youth a few years ago that might interest you.

Rumspringa: To be or not to be Amish by Tom Shachtman

"Rumspringa is Tom Shachtman's celebrated look at a littleknown Amish coming-of-age ritual, the rumspringa--the period of "running around" that begins for their youth at age sixteen. During this time, Amish youth are allowed to live outside the bounds of their faith, experimenting with alcohol, premarital sex, revealing clothes, telephones, drugs, and wild parties. By allowing such broad freedoms, their parents hope they will learn enough to help them make the most important decision of their lives--whether to be baptized as Christians, join the church, and forever give up worldly ways, or to remain in the world.

In this searching book, Shachtman draws on his skills as a documentarian to capture young people on the cusp of a fateful decision, and to give us "one of the most absorbing books ever written about the Plain People" (Publishers Weekly)."

Regards,

Kareni

I think I fell off the wagon....sigh. I just can't get myself to finish a book. My mind is not focused or something...so now I fall dreadfully behind....sigh. I need inspiration, I need encouragement. I NEED a good book.....I have just made some bad choices sonfar this year......sigh....

Faithe...whose Book lies open on the nightstand while I aimlessly search the net for nothing in particular.....

My favourite fun, light-hearted, pick-me-up books are ..... (drum roll ...)

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome (hilarious)

The Diary of a Nobody - George & Weedon Grossmith

I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith (same lady who wrote 101 Dalmatians. This is a very whimsical, quirky, uplifting, thoroughly enjoyable book!)

Completed:

Booke #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters

Oooo, stop tempting me with Brother Cadfael! :001_smile:

I read a book about Amish youth a few years ago that might interest you.

Rumspringa: To be or not to be Amish by Tom Shachtman

"Rumspringa is Tom Shachtman's celebrated look at a littleknown Amish coming-of-age ritual, the rumspringa--the period of "running around" that begins for their youth at age sixteen. During this time, Amish youth are allowed to live outside the bounds of their faith, experimenting with alcohol, premarital sex, revealing clothes, telephones, drugs, and wild parties. By allowing such broad freedoms, their parents hope they will learn enough to help them make the most important decision of their lives--whether to be baptized as Christians, join the church, and forever give up worldly ways, or to remain in the world.

In this searching book, Shachtman draws on his skills as a documentarian to capture young people on the cusp of a fateful decision, and to give us "one of the most absorbing books ever written about the Plain People" (Publishers Weekly)."

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks, I put this on hold. I really need a week long blizzard to catch up on all my reading.

Yesterday I finished book #7 Kisses from Katie and started #8 Hannah's Gift : Lessons from a Life Fully Lived.

I'd been wanting to read Kisses from Katie for some time, but as I was reading I became more and more aware that it was going to be uncomfortable... that it was going to require much more of me than I might be willing to give. Talk about a book that stretches you as a person. I really enjoyed reading it, though.

Thus far:

1. Moon Over Manifest - Clare Vanderpool

2. Room - Emma Donoghue

3. The Pawn - Steven James

4. The Rook - Steven James

5. Drowned Maiden's Hair - Laura Amy Schlitz

6. The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen

7. Kisses from Katie - Katie Davis

I just finished The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure. I really enjoyed it--though I have not read the Little House books for years and years. It was more than just a "let's live the Little House way!"; it was more of an explanation of what the books mean to our culture, and what they might have meant to Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane.

I've finished 2 books this week, "Open" by Andre Agassi and "The Shallows: what the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" by Nicholas Carr. Still reading "Paradise Valley" by Dale Cramer (I tend to read it on my Nook right before I sleep and I've been too tired most nights to read much). Also just started "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson (3rd in the Milennium Trilogy)--so far it is really good.

This was a rough reading week for me. After finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I had a hard time getting into another book. The Night Circus came in at the library and I was very excited to start it. Unfortunately, it smelled like cigarettes :ack2: and I don't know if I didn't like the story to begin with or if it was just the smell. I'm taking it back to the library and will maybe try it later this year.

I was all wishy washy about what to start next so I picked up The Sisters Grimm. My dd had it checked out of the library and hadn't read it yet. It was a nice filler. I felt like I was reading a cross between the Ella Enchanted movie and the Hoodwinked movie :) It was cute and light.

Other than Hamlet, I'm not sure what I'm reading next.

Me:

5. The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

3. The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

2. Henry V by Shakespeare

1. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

I've had a rough reading week too. I did three books last week and sometimes after doing that, I take a break. I have started The Book Thief though and I mostly like it, it feels a little fluffy-ish to me right now and I'm not quite certain what exactly the narrator is and I think this might be one of those books where hearing too much about it ruins it. So I live with confusion. :lol:

I've had a rough reading week too. I did three books last week and sometimes after doing that, I take a break. I have started The Book Thief though and I mostly like it, it feels a little fluffy-ish to me right now and I'm not quite certain what exactly the narrator is and I think this might be one of those books where hearing too much about it ruins it. So I live with confusion. :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one!

You guys crack me up with your talk of fluffy-ish :D Sometimes I feel not worthy because of my fluffy-ness. So far this year I've read fluff and Shakespeare. Oh, well, I do like my fluff.

I did put Great Expectations on my Nook that is not really a Nook. That's certainly not fluffy-ish.

Angel, who just wanted to see how many times I could fit fluffy into my post...maybe I'm tired :tongue_smilie:

You guys crack me up with your talk of fluffy-ish :D Sometimes I feel not worthy because of my fluffy-ness. So far this year I've read fluff and Shakespeare. Oh, well, I do like my fluff.

I did put Great Expectations on my Nook that is not really a Nook. That's certainly not fluffy-ish.

Angel, who just wanted to see how many times I could fit fluffy into my post...maybe I'm tired :tongue_smilie:

Hmmmmmm...my list is always quite fluffy. I need fluff in my life....there are enough bumps and sharp corners.

Faithe

Bear in mind that for my fluff, I read Star trek books. So no one needs to feel any shame around me. Some of those are well written and some of them have lines like, "She fainted from the horror on the viewscreen and her hair flowed over Commander Riker's left arm like a river of ebony." I kid you not. :D

I think The Book Thief is fluffy-ish because of the format mostly. So much wasted space on the page with large fonts and empty space and lists of stuff... I want to READ when I read. :001_smile:

I've read 7 books so far and six of them have been young adult. Perhaps I need to grow up and read fluff. :D

1. Unshaken

2. Hunger Games - YA

3. Catching Fire -YA

4. Mockingjay - YA

5. It's a Wonderful Life - YA

6. The 11th Plague - YA

7. The Adoration of Jenna Fox - YA

I'm currently reading One Month to Live. It's more of a 30 day devotional. I'm also reading Mozart's Last Aria.

I know re-reads count, but if I read The Hunger Games again this year, does it count twice?

I finished The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (ironically pronounced 'whiner' since he's a self-professed grump :lol:). I'd probably give this book 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed The Geography of Bliss, especially the first half of the book. The first half had some interesting insights, profound ponderings, and neat facts/trivia about the places visited. The later parts of the book, though, seemed to lose some steam, imo. Perhaps the author didn't get as immersed in the later cultures, maybe the places were not as 'happy' as the first places, or maybe his natural grumpiness factor was showing through after visiting quite a few 'happy' places... the second half just didn't really have the same spark that the first half did. Even so, it was an entirely enjoyable read & one I'd recommend.

Thanks, Negin, for recommending this in the first place! My book club is reading this right now & I'm betting it is a big hit w/ everyone in the group. (I will keep you posted after we have our next meeting in a few weeks.)

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Espresso Level (#4, 9, 10, & 11 on my 2012 Books Read list)

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (3 stars)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (2 stars, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (4 stars)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (3 stars)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (2 stars)

08. The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (3 stars)

09. Zeroville by Steve Erickson (4 stars)

10. Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (4 stars)

11. Hygiene and the Assassin by AmĂƒÂ©lie Nothomb (2 stars)

12. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (3 stars)

Oh, and some questions for those who have read The Geography of Bliss....

Which countries in the book would you like to visit?

Which country do you think would best fit you?

The ones I'd like to visit: Bhutan & Iceland. (I've been to the Netherlands & Switzerland already, but would also like to visit both again.)

Realistically, I could (probably) easily live in the Netherlands, but things that Weiner mentions about Bhutan & Iceland speak to my soul.... :001_smile:

I have been lurking on the book a week threads and have enjoyed all the book suggestions, so I thought I'd jump in and post.

I'm currently reading Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and listening to Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, which I am thoroughly enjoying. It is right up my alley, as I wanted to be a coroner for a while. :)

Books I've read so far this year:

Sarah's Key

Irreparable Harm

The Tale of Despereaux (a read aloud)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Gregor the Overlander

I also have The Hunger Games out from the library. I listened to the audiobook already, but wanted to actually read it before the movie comes out.

Thanks for letting me jump in! :)

I have been lurking on the book a week threads and have enjoyed all the book suggestions, so I thought I'd jump in and post.

I'm currently reading Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and listening to Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, which I am thoroughly enjoying. It is right up my alley, as I wanted to be a coroner for a while. :)

Hi, pandy! :001_smile:

Well, I'm sure you know I love Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress. :D How are you enjoying it?

Also, if you enjoy Stiff (which I haven't read), you may enjoy Roach's book Packing for Mars. It's pretty fun & interesting.

Glad you're jumping in the book thread!

Also just started "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson (3rd in the Milennium Trilogy)--so far it is really good.

I love his books and was sad that he died so early. He planned on writing 10 in the series.

Hmmmmmm...my list is always quite fluffy. I need fluff in my life....there are enough bumps and sharp corners.

Faithe

:grouphug: Faithe, I hear you and agree. Fluff is nice and comforting. :)

I really enjoyed The Geography of Bliss, especially the first half of the book. The later parts of the book, though, seemed to lose some steam, imo. Perhaps the author didn't get as immersed in the later cultures, maybe the places were not as 'happy' as the first places, or maybe his natural grumpiness factor was showing through after visiting quite a few 'happy' places... the second half just didn't really have the same spark that the first half did. Even so, it was an entirely enjoyable read & one I'd recommend.

Stacia, glad you liked it. I agree about the first part versus the 2nd part.

The ones I'd like to visit: Bhutan & Iceland. (I've been to the Netherlands & Switzerland already, but would also like to visit both again.)

Realistically, I could (probably) easily live in the Netherlands, but things that Weiner mentions about Bhutan & Iceland speak to my soul.... :001_smile:

Visit - Netherlands (been there when I was very small), Iceland, Bhutan

Best fit me - Netherlands, Iceland (but I would loathe the weather :glare:).

I wish he would write a sequel and do more countries.

I have started The Book Thief though and I mostly like it, it feels a little fluffy-ish to me right now and I'm not quite certain what exactly the narrator is and I think this might be one of those books where hearing too much about it ruins it. So I live with confusion. :lol:

Doesn't he say who he is at the beginning of the book?

If you like audio books (or even if you don't) this is one book that is *fabulous* on audio.

I haven't read the book yet but am going to put it on my list. Anyway, don't have any idea if these countries are in the book but some of the countries I really want to visit are Belgium (over and over again, I loved living there and yes, the people were very content and they lived long lifespans since they were all easy-going), Costa Rica (again since I only visited it for one day during a cruise), Iceland (again since I visited as a teenager but just in the airport), Botswana (and this is pretty much directly from me reading the Alexander McCall Smith books), Chile (which my dh visited for work and told me I would love), Singapore (again dh visited and told me I would probably find it heaven), and Australia (which dh keeps visiting and tells me it is wonderful). Then I also want to visit Scandinavian countries- again from my reading and watching tv- Wallendar in particular. Oh I really need to travel again but it is so hard to do when you have high schoolers, They have such busy schedules,

I finished The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. On one hand, this book was very unique. On the other hand, it's very familiar in many respects -- pieces and parts of stories, movies, ideas that you already know, but shaken up & presented in a different way, a form individual to this story. I'm glad I read it. There's a lot to ponder here.... An excellent first novel by Hall.

aww... Thank you. And I really liked Fall of Giants!!

Thanks. I started it this week and am up to the point where Esther has heard the mine explosion while chaperoning Maud & then the first part about Billy who is nearly 16. I hope he doesn't die or get maimed; I was in a waiting room & had to stop mid chapter.

I'm also reading Winning with People.

Up-thread, someone mentioned The Housekeeper and the Professor. This was one of the best books I read in 2009. Beautiful. Memorable. Delicately wrought. Wise. Highly recommended.

Thanks for this recommendation. I'm going to put it on hold.

Bear in mind that for my fluff, I read Star trek books. So no one needs to feel any shame around me. Some of those are well written and some of them have lines like, "She fainted from the horror on the viewscreen and her hair flowed over Commander Riker's left arm like a river of ebony." I kid you not. :D

:lol: I love Star Trek but I have never read any of the books.

Well, I'm sure you know I love Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress. :D How are you enjoying it?

Also, if you enjoy Stiff (which I haven't read), you may enjoy Roach's book Packing for Mars. It's pretty fun & interesting.

Glad you're jumping in the book thread!

Thanks! I am enjoying Balzac. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll put it on my (very long) list of books to read! :)

:lol: I love Star Trek but I have never read any of the books.

Some of them are very interesting and some of them are just really, really bad writing. It's so cool when an author gets the characters so right but rather painful when they get them so very, very wrong. :lol:

And you've got to geek it up, girlfriend!!! Meet me at the conference in Vegas in August! :D

Kleine, he describes what he does but he isn't clear exactly WHAT he is - angel? Soul collector of some sort that isn't an angel? Christian?

Our book club emails throughout the month and one of the questions that cracked me up about this book came from one of the elder women today who emailed, "Am I just too secular to get what the narrator is!?!"

I'm 37% through the book and I'm liking it, even though it deals with Nazi Germany which always, always, always makes me cry.

This week I read A Homemade Life: stories and recipes from my kitchen table by Molly Wizenberg. I haven't read her blog yet but I did like her book. I find I really shouldn't read these food books before bedtime! I end up being so hungry.

I have really enjoyed reading through these threads every week. I find that I want to respond to almost everyone about their book; they all sound so good! :)

Edited by Mothersweets