Menu

would you use chocolate icing on a cake for a 2 year old?

For some reason that seems wrong to me...like too much caffiene or something? But my daughter's birthday is Bob the Builder themed, and I want to make a cake depicting a contsuction theme. Using chocolate icing would be easier, to depict a muddy construction site. But if you think people won't want their little kids eating it I can do a white buttercream and use chocolate cookie crumbs in piles for piles of rubble, etc.

Sugar is sugar, but if the guests mainly are other two year olds I'd be more concerned about getting the chocolate icing out of clothes.

:iagree:Chocolate can be hard to get out! For my son's 2nd b-day I did a construction theme too! I tinted buttercream to a sand color and used crushed graham crackers on top. The cake itself was chocolate.

My kids adore chocolate, and I've always been happy for them to eat it, in moderation. We have always had tons of homemade chocolate brownies slathered with chocolate icing at birthday parties here. The only complaint I ever had was from a dad who thought they were too good for kids - I let him have one :D.

Best wishes, have a fun time!

Cassy

I wouldn't think twice about it. If you have time and you don't know the allergy status of the guests, you might make one batch of vanilla cupcakes with a little dab of non-dairy topping on them.

There is naturally occurring caffeine in cocoa, but by the time you add everything that turns cocoa into chocolate, it isn't particularly significant.

Chocolate icing is a must have imo especially for areas that need dark icing (much easier to get a good black icing when tinting chocolate icing than tinting white. My kids love chocolate icing (and we even had it on 1st birthday cakes), and licking the spoon is half the fun while making it so even more chocolate icing for my kids. I have never heard anyone being worried about using chocolate icing. It is a birthday cake, make it delicious and just serve small peices if you are worried about it.