Menu

What is the subject of this sentence?

What is the simple subject of the sentence?  

1. 1. What is the simple subject of the sentence?

• 12%
    • twelve
    • percent
    • surface
    • Earth
    • other
    • Nutella

About 12% of the surface of the Earth is covered in water and ice.

Options above (if I can get the poll thingie to work). Dh gave his authoritative* vote, but I'm interested to see the grammatical intuitions of others on this.

ETA: In answer to the fair question, "complete subject or simple subject?" I mean the simple subject; or, since that phrase causes dh to wince, "the head of the noun phrase forming the subject." You're welcome, linguists.

*He essentially has a Ph.D. in grammar, so I defer to him in these things as a straightforward Argument From Authority.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My intuition is that, in a way, the entire first part of the sentence (everything before "is") is the subject of the sentence. :D But I feel like "surface" is the primary subject.

That was without looking anything up.

ETA: yep, I'm wrong..it's 12% because the other two are prepositional phrases. This is why I look things up, haha.

Options above (if I can get the poll thingie to work). Dh gave his authoritative* vote, but I'm interested to see the grammatical intuitions of others on this.

*He essentially has a Ph.D. in grammar, so I defer to him in these things as a straightforward Argument From Authority.

It is 12%. But, how would it only be 12%? Do you mean the bits not covered with oceans?

If we got down to simplest, it would be percent, but percent is a bit meaningless without the number modifying it, so I voted 12%. I know that technically includes the number modifier rather than just the noun; I could be easily persuaded that percent alone was correct.

On a scientific rather than grammatical note, isn't way more than 12% of the Earth covered in water or ice? ;)

If we got down to simplest, it would be percent, but percent is a bit meaningless without the number modifying it, so I voted 12%. I know that technically includes the number modifier rather than just the noun; I could be easily persuaded that percent alone was correct.

On a scientific rather than grammatical note, isn't way more than 12% of the Earth covered in water or ice? ;)

:iagree:

Ack! I voted surface, but that can't be right. It's in a prepositional phrase. D'oh!

If I could have a do over, I'd go with 12% (more specifically, "percent").

Next time I'll read the poll first!

But WHAT is the sentence talking about, aka the subject? That would be the surface (of the earth). If you're going to negate that due to being right after a preposition, you have to negate 12% too because it comes right after "about". The subject is the MAIN THOUGHT of the sentence: the surface of the earth. Or, to narrow it down, the "surface".

12%.

"About" is an adjective modifying the subject, and "of the surface" and "of the earth" are prepositional phrases.

On the 12% vs just percent: Imagine if instead the 12% was converted to a decimal or a fraction ("About 12/100 of the surface of the earth") and the rationale for keeping the 12 becomes clearer.

Edited by Rockhopper

But WHAT is the sentence talking about, aka the subject? That would be the surface (of the earth). If you're going to negate that due to being right after a preposition, you have to negate 12% too because it comes right after "about". The subject is the MAIN THOUGHT of the sentence: the surface of the earth. Or, to narrow it down, the "surface".

See, now, that was my thought, too. But I'm always wrong about this stuff.

About in this sentence is not a preposition; it is being used to mean "approximately."

about = adverb modifying the adjective 12

twelve = adjective modifying the noun percent

percent = subject

of the surface = prepositional phrase modifying Earth?

of the Earth = prepositional phrase modifying percent

is covered = verb phrase

in water and ice = prepositional phrase modifying is covered?

That's my best guess. I think I'm missing something. But I don't know what so I'm guessing. Going to see what the grammarians say.

(Edited to remove already posted info)

I liked surface too. Still do, but it can't be the subject if it's in a prepositional phrase.

Edited by darlasowders
already posted info

12% OR (percent)

I would let a student use either one.

By looking at the predicate you know that surface isn't the subject, because the whole surface isn't covered. You can ask yourself "What 'is covered?'" 12%

About is not a preposition in this sentence. It is one of those words that can serve multiple purposes. We discussed that in our thread on whether or not to have dc memorize the prepositions; personally, I have dc memorize them but also warn them that many have other uses.

I voted percent. Twelve would be an adjective modifying percent, and about is an adverb modifying 12. About is being used like nearly, almost, or approximately. These words are all adverbs. The other nouns are part of prepositional phrases, which makes it impossible for them to be the subject.

Doesn't this happen in sentences like

All of the macaroni is gone.

The subject is all. But really the thing we are talking and caring and wanting to know more about is macaroni. But still the subject is all.

12%.

"About" is an adjective modifying the subject, and "of the surface" and "of the earth" are prepositional phrases.

On the 12% vs just percent: Imagine if instead the 12% was converted to a decimal or a fraction ("About 12/100 of the surface of the earth") and the rationale for keeping the 12 becomes clearer.

I still think the subject would be one-hundredths. How many one-hundredths? twelve. To what degree? about (twelve)

Are you asking about the simple subject or the complete subject? I would say that the complete subject would be 12% of the surface of the Earth. The simple subject would be "percent" and obviously 12 modifies percent, but as another poster said, percent is rather meaningless without the 12 to put parameters around it.

If one were to diagram this, we would draw a line between the word "Earth" and the word "is". Everything on the left of the line is the subject and everything to the right of the line is the predicate.

12%.

I agree with this. Percent is meaningless without the 12, and IMO a subject should not require a modifier for the sentence to make sense. You should be able to strip away all modifiers and the sentence still retain meaning. I can even see an argument that 12 is the noun and percent is the modifier. What kind of 12? 12 percent. However, I really think of 12% in this sentence as one solid subject with both parts being the subject.

12% is covered in water and ice. -meaningful sentence, although I'd hope other sentences would have provided clarity.

Percent is covered in water and ice. - not meaningful.

12%.

I agree with this. Percent is meaningless without the 12, and IMO a subject should not require a modifier for the sentence to make sense. You should be able to strip away all modifiers and the sentence still retain meaning. I can even see an argument that 12 is the noun and percent is the modifier. What kind of 12? 12 percent. However, I really think of 12% in this sentence as one solid subject with both parts being the subject.

12% is covered in water and ice. -meaningful sentence, although I'd hope other sentences would have provided clarity.

Percent is covered in water and ice. - not meaningful.

:iagree:

Of the surface\of the Earth are prep phrases so I don't think you can have a simple subject in either of those. I think 12 would be an adjective modifying percent.

However, for some reason I still want to say that it's 12%. Is there some rule about mathematical expressions being treated differently than words?

percent = subject

of the surface = prepositional phrase modifying Earth?

of the Earth = prepositional phrase modifying percent

is covered = verb phrase

That's my best guess. I think I'm missing something. But I don't know what so I'm guessing. Going to see what the grammarians say.

That's what I came up with too - subject = percent.

Sources:

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp

Rule 9

With words that indicate portions—percent, fraction, part, majority, some, all, none, remainder, and so forth —look at the noun in your of phrase (object of the preposition) to determine whether to use a singular or plural verb. If the object of the preposition is singular, use a singular verb. If the object of the preposition is plural, use a plural verb.

Examples:

Fifty percent of the pie has disappeared.

Pie is the object of the preposition of.

Fifty percent of the pies have disappeared.

Pies is the object of the preposition.

One-third of the city is unemployed.

One-third of the people are unemployed.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/grammarlogs3/grammarlogs427.htm

http://www.mathematics-in-europe.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=28&lang=en

Treat mathematical expressions as a single unit: To avoid confusion, treat an entire mathematical expression as a single grammatical unit. Thus if the subject of a sentence is a word, then the main verb should be a word as well. It should not be a symbol and should above all not be part of a mathematical expression.

:iagree: This was my thinking.

percent = subject

of the surface = prepositional phrase modifying [percent]?

of the Earth = prepositional phrase modifying [surface]

is covered = verb phrase

According to Those Who Know, this is the right approach. (Though They like to say things such as "genitive phrase complement" and the like.) Mrs. Mungo addresses one source of confusion in the sentence, by observing that percent (or %) is a number-transparent noun, with the singular surface requiring a singular verb. Twelve (or 12) is functioning as a d********r.

Thus, percent (or %) is the big winner. Not that I expect The Hive to cave by Argument From Authority to Those Who Know.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

The subject is "parts." It is an implied subject. Re-thinking this answer due to it failing initial testing results.

"12%" is good enough for government work :D [Perhaps government work ain't so bad

Bill

:lol: My husband works for the government and "good enough for government work" is used more often than people realize.

According to Those Who Know, this is the right approach. (Though They like to say things such as "genitive phrase complement" and the like.) Mrs. Mungo addresses one source of confusion in the sentence, by observing that percent (or %) is a number-transparent noun, with the singular surface requiring a singular verb. Twelve (or 12) is functioning as a d********r.

Thus, percent (or %) is the big winner. Not that I expect The Hive to cave by Argument From Authority to Those Who Know.

I still say the subject is 12%. My grammar books all say that mathematical phrases are used as a single grammatical unit.

Edited by Mrs Mungo